Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Piccolo Day

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Piccolo Day
Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Happy Piccolo Day! :D

{"name":"piccoloday.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/9\/59b28cd5e9e410ac69563e962bc26fb5.jpg","w":1000,"h":752,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/9\/59b28cd5e9e410ac69563e962bc26fb5"}piccoloday.jpg

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Anyone watch One Punch Man on Netflix? It's freakin' amazing (except the last episode wasn't that... well... climatic.) It's about a hero who is so powerful he's bored and can't enjoy being a hero. A single punch kills any foe. It's a parody of superhero comics/animes.

The show STARTS with him basically killing the piccolo from DBZ in one punch.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/onepunchman/images/b/bf/VMAnime.png/revision/latest?cb=20151110030109

Everyone keeps trying to tell him their elaborate backstory and he's like "I... I don't care." And they're like, "Well, what's your backstory?" And he's like, "I'm a hero for fun." [end of backstory.] and it infuriates them that he has no elaborate backstory.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I heard a lot of hype about One Punch Man several months back. I got burned out on anime a few years ago though. Has it been localized into English yet?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Not on Netflix. They're talking about dubbing it. But the subs were fine. I also don't want anime at all anime. VERY rarely.

Orguss 02 OVA is good enough to be an American movie.

And One-Punch Man is hilarious. There's no fan-servicing. There's no romance subplot. There's no teenager drama. None of the usual cliche Japanese anime "WAAAHHH?????" stuff. (Ugh.)

Watch the first episode or two, you'll know immediately from the directing whether the physical and situational humor is your cup of tea.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

There is a dub of One Punch Man. It was on Toonami like last year. You can even buy the DVD/BD if you want.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I'll have to check it out sometime then. I prefer it dubbed to subbed, or just raw, as I get confused between what I hear and what I read if it's subbed. :-X I don't know where I'd get it raw legally though. Maybe Crunchyroll or whatever has it.

But anyway, it's also Goku Day, if you didn't know. I'm actually wearing a Dragon Ball Z shirt right now that features Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, and Krillin. I like it because it has their names written in Japanese. ;D

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Daisuki allows you watch without subs (at least the web site does). Don't know about Hulu. And Toonami's site (If you have a cable sub to watch everything) is missing episode 1, so I guess their license is expiring, so over time less episodes can be viewed there, and if I'm correct about that, then next week, episode 2 will be gone, and so on.

I don't know if they have the dub or not.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

so thats wat i look like am not wat thats so ;)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

@Bruce:

{"name":"english-motherfucker-do-you-speak-it-englis-muggafudga-do-u-speeque-it.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/0\/00c18ef5adf8e7bb8d7a9e2f0775c27b.jpg","w":400,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/0\/00c18ef5adf8e7bb8d7a9e2f0775c27b"}english-motherfucker-do-you-speak-it-englis-muggafudga-do-u-speeque-it.jpg

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Every May 9th is Piccolo Day?! I thought May 9th was Goku Day!

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

AHEM >:(

Eric said:

But anyway, it's also Goku Day, if you didn't know.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Sorry, I got to the part where One Punch came up and got distracted.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

No worries. ;)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Hey, anyone ever heard of One Punch Man? It's this really cool anime that's a parody of superheros.

-----sig:

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

Interesting date was lost in the translation

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

It's the green man himself! :o My mom loves you, Mr. Piccolo, sir.

Yeah, other numbers differ between the Japanese source and various translations, too. Not sure why.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Hey, anyone ever heard of One Punch Man? It's this really cool anime that's a parody of superheros.

It's a very interesting show. I will admit that I was skeptical about the premise of "super hero trains so hard he defeats everything with one punch and gets bored" but I'm glad I gave it a shot. I can't really pin-point what I like about it, maybe it's just that it's so different from the anime I'm used to, a lot of the main character's dialog is very dead-pan.

I watched the first season over quite a few lunch breaks. Will there be a season two?

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

They started work on season 2, but that's all we know for now it seems. The earliest it airs in Japan is rumored to be November. Most think it will be in 2018 however.

---
MiquelFire.red

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

There's also a prequel OVA (not on Netflix) that IIRC explains some of his training. But I haven't seen it yet.

I love the lines in it though... like "I trained so hard I went bald." (Completely deadpan.)

And another person asks how long he trained and he was like "I spent a WHOLE SUMMER training super hard!" and his regiment consisted of basic cardo. Jogging. (No weight) Squats. And rigorous stretching.

It reminds me of Bill Murray, in a way I can't fully explain.

-----sig:

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I love the lines in it though... like "I trained so hard I went bald." (Completely deadpan.)

Yeah. Lines like that coupled with his rather plain and bored looking face made me feel like it was quite a bit different than the anime stuff I used to binge on as a teenager (and still occasionally watch).

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Eric, now that piccolo has posted, you can compare his signature with my post and see what I did there :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

@Bruce :o

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Go to: