Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Smintheus Beta - Looking for testers and feedback

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Smintheus Beta - Looking for testers and feedback
Neuton Mouse
Member #15,146
May 2013

Finally made it to the last lap until finish line.

Smintheus is adventurous 2D Puzzle game where you build your way out to the solutions. Game offers classical puzzles as well as "Smintheus-style" puzzles where solution lies through building various gadgets. Expect some fighting as the main antagonist together with other hostile creatures will try their best to interfere with your progress.

Trailer: click here!

I had a topic here about it, during greenlight times, if anyone curious: here.

---

There are two ways to play this game: using mouse or keyboard. You can combine controls if that fits your needs.

So, with mouse's left click you perform most actions: from interacting with game object to selecting stuff. There is only case where right click works - clicking on protagonist will show you Fastbuild menu, designed to fasten building process. Double click on character pops up Inventory screen. Apart from clicking there is smart cast feature - left click and hold on character, move cursor away and releasing will result to fast attack, sawing objects and shooting. The game was designed specially for this kind of control.

I had private testing few months ago and people who played this complained that there is no keyboard. There is now. Here is a full list of keys. Keep in mind you can remap keys in the "Options > Controls > Keyboard Mapping" section.

WASD - Movement
1 - Select Wrench
2 - Select Saw
3 - Select Pistol
4 - Select Sword
F - Confirm / Select / Use Item
Q - Access Fastbuild menu
Left Shift - holding it with put you in a "selection state". Shift + WASD will make you interact with passable objects such as Bombs or unfinished constructions.
Tab - Access Inventory Screen or Go back in menus.
F5 - Quick Save
F9 - Quick Load

---

Beta Limitations:

The game experiences beta stage so expect some faults. However these faults are minor and won't destroy your experience... i think :X

Startup Main Menu is minimal: black screen and text buttons on the center of the screen
Music is absent: Instead you have nice ambient sound effects.
Undone Assets: Some stuff lacks animation or SFX
Limited Levels: 24 levels of planned 42 are done.
Few options that don't work: Control type (Only Keyboard & Mouse) and no volume for ambient sounds

---

Anyway, i'm looking for testers and their honest opinions and criticism about it. Want to make it better.

Here is download link

Windows: Smintheus Beta - *.rar (44.0 Mb) .

Linux: Smintheus Beta - *.rar (50mb) (Readme pls)

---

Screenshots:

{"name":"1.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/1\/71056a34edf503c2b703dc66839e6615.jpg","w":960,"h":640,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/1\/71056a34edf503c2b703dc66839e6615"}1.jpg
{"name":"2.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/f\/3f7a75de6a1ce18bfd7027fafe5d0a05.jpg","w":960,"h":640,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/f\/3f7a75de6a1ce18bfd7027fafe5d0a05"}2.jpg
{"name":"3.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/6\/e645a9d45322903e65dc27b994ef9403.jpg","w":960,"h":640,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/6\/e645a9d45322903e65dc27b994ef9403"}3.jpg
{"name":"4.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/9\/89e4c8f01dce4ab88930388e002afd97.jpg","w":960,"h":640,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/9\/89e4c8f01dce4ab88930388e002afd97"}4.jpg
{"name":"5.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/33137cd04527a0706c6fa4f371c4bd88.jpg","w":960,"h":640,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/33137cd04527a0706c6fa4f371c4bd88"}5.jpg
{"name":"6.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/e\/2ef7bd36537f26f1e2eed6f40fd75a0d.jpg","w":932,"h":640,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/e\/2ef7bd36537f26f1e2eed6f40fd75a0d"}6.jpg
{"name":"7.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/2\/02fcca498f74b2f781f0a1b7189facee.jpg","w":932,"h":640,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/2\/02fcca498f74b2f781f0a1b7189facee"}7.jpg
{"name":"8.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/0\/30832cb829763b1a4bdcd1af2b655c01.jpg","w":932,"h":640,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/0\/30832cb829763b1a4bdcd1af2b655c01"}8.jpg

Kevin Adrian
Member #7,087
April 2006

Wow this looks awesome! Good job!

My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the utterance from my heart will give understanding. (Psalm 49:3)

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Aw, it looks great, but it's Windows-only. Sorry, I can't test.

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Looks like it's a complex game. Too much stuff. Awesome indeed. :o

If it is Windows only it will be hard to test. Does it work with Wine-HQ?

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Wow, great enhancements since the last time I saw it!

I remember feeling a little "on the fence" about the movement being restricted to tile-based. (e.g. A character cannot stop half-way between tiles.) But you've clearly dedicated your project to that system so I'm not going to keep hounding you on it.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neuton Mouse
Member #15,146
May 2013

EDIT:

Nevermind, here is linux version.
Tested on old laptop, it actually worked! But it has some flaws, like fullscreen doesn't work as it should. Make sure u have:

allegro 5.2
luajit-5.1
z (zlib)
ncurses

Download Linux Version - *.rar (50mb)

Wow this looks awesome! Good job!

Aw, it looks great, but it's Windows-only. Sorry, I can't test.

Niunio said:

Looks like it's a complex game. Too much stuff. Awesome indeed. :o

If it is Windows only it will be hard to test. Does it work with Wine-HQ?

Thanks guys for appreciating the looks of it.

As for linux... I'm working on that, trying to port it on linux and somewhat i managed to succeed in it. There are lot of question, but right i'm having this issue which i have no idea how to fix it. Getting severe random graphical glitches like these. It's always random and changes over time - some sprites are not drawn at all. No idea what the hell is going on, may be it's because of virtual machine. Look at attachments/screenshots

Wow, great enhancements since the last time I saw it!

I remember feeling a little "on the fence" about the movement being restricted to tile-based. (e.g. A character cannot stop half-way between tiles.) But you've clearly dedicated your project to that system so I'm not going to keep hounding you on it.

Thanks! :)
There are plans to enhance it further.

As for movement. Well, back then, after a year of development, it was already to late to change it. Non-tile movement brings different game mechanics on front and requires changes that start from the root of the game (which may result another year of development...). I'll leave it for next game.

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

As for linux... I'm working on that, trying to port it on linux and somewhat i managed to succeed in it. There are lot of question, but right i'm having this issue which i have no idea how to fix it. Getting severe random graphical glitches like these. It's always random and changes over time - some sprites are not drawn at all. No idea what the hell is going on, may be it's because of virtual machine. Look at attachments/screenshots

It looks like there are a problem with the graphic driver or library. If you're using a virtual machine, that would be the problem (i.e. bad emulated graphics).

Still not tested. :-/

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Neuton Mouse
Member #15,146
May 2013

Niunio said:

It looks like there are a problem with the graphic driver or library. If you're using a virtual machine, that would be the problem (i.e. bad emulated graphics).

Yep, it appears virtual machine was the problem. It injects custom video driver - linux won't detect actual video card.

However, i've tested on my old laptop (lubuntu) and it works! Although, there are issues with fullscreen.

Quote:

Still not tested.

Is there problems with launching the game? I've posted the download link to linux version, make sure u have right libraries (readme.txt will help).

---

I have linux-based question - what's better way to distribute game on linux? Should i include compiled libraries (dependencies) into game folder or make some kind of installer?

I'm not that big expert on linux.

Go to: