Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » KrampusHack 2016

Credits go to amarillion, Elias, Eric Johnson, and SiegeLord for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
KrampusHack 2016
Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Ah, the ole' x-was-actually-y bug. A classic. :P

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

It happens more often than I care to admit. :-[ I get lazy and copy and paste similar get and set functions, then forget to change the return values for each one. :P I blame Edgar Reynaldo, my arch enemy. ;)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Because I used Allegro 5's mind control to make you copy and paste the code? I'm too busy making my own copy paste errors to be messing with your code at the same time. We need a better reason to. E arch e skies than that (that's my phone talking). What I meant was we need better reasons to be arch enemies than that.

Edit : 'public' is your friend.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Allegro 5? No, no, I'm using Allegro 6! I'm from the future--2028, to be precise. But I only use the C^ port (pronounced "see caret"). It rose to popularity around 2023 after Bjarne Stroustrup made an anti-Semitic comment (that's political correctness for you). I'm looking forward to the next version, which should finally fix that sextuple buffer issue.

Also, you called us arch enemies first. I'm just going with the flow. >:(

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I haven't seen much of the original Doctor Who series, unfortunately. Seen almost all the newer ones though. Looking forward to the Christmas special this year? :D

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

If it makes you feel any better, the show hasn't been on at all since last Christmas.

Edit
Speaking of Christmas Krampus, I found a whole slew of new bugs in my map and camera classes! :D I think I've fixed them all now though.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Hmp, my wild boars randomly disappear. And all I figured out is that they move nan pixels but I don't see how their speed can ever get nan... I must be dividing 0/0 somewhere :(

[edit:] Found it ::) There is another way it can get nan but it's too embarrassing.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Did someone say...

{"name":"610686","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/0\/2075a13471bd3a2653823d95b097dd0d.png","w":302,"h":170,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/0\/2075a13471bd3a2653823d95b097dd0d"}610686

naan?

:D

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Mark is hereby removed from KrampusHack 2016 for being too punny. All in favor say "aye". :P

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

{"name":"610687","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/9\/b91720733194da787485f670cf48b238.png","w":275,"h":183,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/9\/b91720733194da787485f670cf48b238"}610687

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

git config --global alias.snap '!git add . && git commit -m snapshot'

You may not have the time to engineer perfect commits, but that's no reason not to use source control. >:(

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

1)Particles
2)Christmas related visuals
3)Destroy things

Good luck everybody :-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

1) fast
2) bright
3) icey

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I have to admit, Mark... that was pretty good. ;D

Today I'll begin working on a HUD.

Update (11:29 CST)
Hit another snag. I created something that walks around by itself, but when I went to make multiples of it spawn (as an array of objects), it suddenly stopped obeying collision detection! :o Currently trying to fix that.

Another update (19:09 CST)
Fixed the aforementioned problem. Now I have a new one: random freezing. I've narrowed it down to a certain method. Now off to fix it.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I think I'm ready to start designing levels tomorrow night - actually need to see a movie so Wednesday night. Then Thursday night add some sound effects. And Friday night maybe add some music. Hm. Except I could use every single remaining hour to do levels...

--

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

KrampusHack progress update: I fixed the freezing issue I had yesterday. A faulty while loop got stuck looping indefinitely, which caused the problem. Oops. :-[ Also added a little HUD. Now I'm working on more graphics. I might even finish before the due time! :D

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Type type type... Code code code... I've got a map generator going. The fact that I can't show any screenies is a major bummer right now. And now I'm wondering if I already gave away too much by mentioning the map generator...

Estimated time spent: 12 hours.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Well, the way I understand it now is that Onewing will tell me who my gift is by when I receive one. So there is no need for being all that secret about the game itself, just about who you are making it for.

(Originally I assumed when I receive a game I would still not know who it is from - in that case every little thing indeed could have been a giveaway.)

--

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Hey all, how's everybody feeling? Where would you say, percent-wise, you are on your gifts? Think you could hit 100% before Friday? I recommend making that your goal and using the final stretch only to polish what you've got.

Regarding the due date, I'm a bit flexible here if we want to push it back. My intention was to make sure Krampus doesn't start bleeding into your Christmas day (unfortunate visual intended). I've basically got family events each night starting tonight through Sunday, so all of my contributions are in between necessary, long-time-no-see hugs.

Lastly, I agree that we should amend the language around the secretness of the Santa. For now, as best as possible, it should absolutely be kept a secret! But, once the gift is delivered, I have no qualms revealing the identity to your receiver. I would ask they still go through me so I can make sure everyone gets some correspondence after the event finishes. The gifts shouldn't be shared until we hit January though, so we can maintain that heightened sense of personalization for a week. Thoughts?

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

My gift is about 70% finished. So long as there are no more roadblocks, finishing before Friday shouldn't be a problem. I think sticking with the original due date and time is fine.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I lost a whole day due to narcilepsy. Busy trying to catch up. I have a SceneManager and should have 3 scenes done before the end of the day. Then I have to focus on gameplay. I wouldn't mind a few more days to work. I'd rather present a finished gift than just a few splash screens like that whole TINS fiasco earlier this year.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I can say I haven't made as much progress as I would have hoped at this point, but I do have some solid groundwork and gameplay should be coming up next.

--

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Didn't we originally say handing in on the 26th is early enough?

--

Go to: