Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » 2016's Christmas Hack

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
2016's Christmas Hack
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Mares eat Oates and does eat Oates, and little lambs eat ivy. Watch out for the mares and the does Oates. Happy Birthday Hitler.

No rule is better than a bad rule. And you'll notice I suggested we use Santa Hack's rules, instead of one that exponentially expands the size of code necessary to create a game. ;)

Also, you'll notice that Eric Johnson and GullRaDriel dont' have any avatars. ;)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Edgar...

WTF seriously, man.

Why are you like... you should be more positive.

Also, you'll notice that Eric Johnson and GullRaDriel dont' have any avatars. ;)

Well that's a very astute observation. I'm sure nobody else noticed that either. Thank you for preventing a complete collapse of the entire universe.

Quote:

d you'll notice I suggested we use Santa Hack's rules, instead of one that exponentially expands the size of code necessary to create a game. ;)

I know the file sizes will be over 9000 but I think that's something we can all deal with why do I have to say that? ::)

Quote:

Mares eat Oates and does eat Oates, and little lambs eat ivy. Watch out for the mares and the does Oates. Happy Birthday Hitler.

And what actually the fuck is this?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Happy Birthday Hitler.

Oh -- Happy Birthday, Mark! ;D

I hope I can come up with something before Christmas, but no guarantees.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I like the idea someone just had in #allegro - let's do a Krampus Hack instead of a Santa Hack!

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Krampus Hack sounds cool 8-)

Quote:

Oh -- Happy Birthday, Mark! ;D

Woot! :party:

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Hey Oates,

Sorry about the comments. I've been kind of grumpy lately. Not in the spirit of Santa (Christmas) ((Jingle)) Hack at all. Hope you have a Happy Birthday. I'm already trying to think of what to do with the avatar icons as we speak.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

What are you talking about? I have an avatar. >:(

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I think, and this is just me, since we're very late in the game here, we should greatly reduce the scope/rules of the hack. Here's what I propose:

1. Assign a commissioner of this event
2. The previously mentioned times are fine (start 16th - end dec 25th)
3. Every participant list their machine's specs and OS
4. Use an online "secret santa" organizer tool to assign participants to the person they are making a game for
5. If one cannot make a game for a person due to their target's specs/OS per #3, the commissioner can reassign
6. Make a game using whatever tool. Preferably allegro, but unity, Unreal Engine, game maker, game salad, whatever else are fine too. You can also just make an update to a game you already have.
7. Each participant commits to attempt to play their game gift and provide some kind of review on this thread

Maybe this could work for #4: http://www.secretsantaorganizer.com/

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Is providing machine specifications truly necessary? Would it not be easier to instead allow the recipient to build a given game from source? The source for each game would be provided anyway, right?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I'm with Onewing. I think secret santa can work, we can just do it manually.

Elias, you're in charge ;D

You've been volentold.

:) :) :) OK!!! Everybody who is participating announce your formal participation now :) :) :)

I'm in! Would prefer source I can easily compile on OSX

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I hereby declare my formal participation henceforth. 8-)

I use Linux, by the way (Ubuntu variants). I don't know if I can build Windows binaries (because I don't use Windows much), but anyone on Windows should be able to build from source... right? ???

That's disturbing... I feel like I'm in a mirror universe...

I keep thinking I posted something, but it's really my alter ego!

It'll really be a mirror universe once I renamed myself to "Odlanyer Ragde"! ;)

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

The Finnish word for Santa Claus is joulupukki, which literally translates to Christmas goat. Joulupukki was originally the Krampus character, not Saint Nicholas. Also in Sweden they used to have a Christmas goat. At that time, both julbock and joulupukki could be dressed in a black fur and a goat mask. Then they forgot the word julbock in Sweden and the character became more like the Coca Cola Santa and was called jultomten (Christmas Elf). The Finnish equivalent also became more Santa like, but kept the goaty name joulupukki.

So yes, I vote for Krampus.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I use Linux, by the way (Ubuntu variants). I don't know if I can build Windows binaries (because I don't use Windows much), but anyone on Windows should be able to build from source... right? ???

Famous last words. Depends entirely on what libraries you use. Some libs don't provide CMakeLists.txt or anything other than outdated VS solutions.

You do realize we have to be arch-enemies now right?

8592.jpgd1325505a8ce48338b6a105006d80d874423740e.jpg

By the way, you're surrounded. Give up now.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Famous last words. Depends entirely on what libraries you use. Some libs don't provide CMakeLists.txt or anything other than outdated VS solutions.

I was thinking of just using Allegro 5.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Elias, you're in charge

Well, I assign GullRaDriel as the official commissioner in that case and henceforth excuse myself from any function :p

However, I would like to announce my formal participation: I prefer source code which compiles on Linux and uses Allegro as a dependency. And should I finish my entry it will use Allegro and I will provide only the source code (which will have been tested under Linux).

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

So what are the rules exactly? I've never participated in a Santa/Christmas hack before. Also, what're we calling this (if not "SantaHack")? I like the "JingleHack" idea.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Here are my thoughts:

SantaHack - classic, classy, but would be unofficial
JollyHack - actually would like this one
KrampusHack - cool, dark, same as SantaHack but different. Would like this one :)
JingleHack - not sure what this would be, to be honest

[edit:]

The rules to SantaHack are thus. Essentially, it's based on the "Secret Santa" concept where everyone pools their names into a hat. Each participant then draws a name from the hat without revealing the name that they have drawn. As that person's Secret Santa, you go and get a gift for them, wrap it up, and deliver it to them in stealth.

In this case, the gift is a game. :)

--

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Thanks for the explanation, Mark. I like the idea of receiving a game as a gift. :) Are there no additional rules or randomly-selected restrictions, like in TINS or SpeedHack?

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

That is yet to be determined ;D BUT here is our only known reference (link credit to Elias) to the official SantaHack rules (from '09 no less).

--

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

In years past, we would each say three (mostly generic) things we'd like from a game and the developer would then build a game based on one or all of those things as they interpreted it.

But, since we're late in the game, I would say making anything is valid. Even if you just updated some things to a past hack entry. Ideally, the game provided would be personalized in some way for the receiver. I'm not aware of anywhere where you can get a game/update that is intended solely for you. Of course, we'll share with the group after the receiver has some time to play their gift.

This is about fostering the allegro community rather than winning a competition.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Same here:

I announce my formal participation.

I prefer source code which compiles on Linux or Windows and uses Allegro as a dependency. And should I finish my entry it will use Allegro and I will provide the source code and a windows binary.

Still not 100% clear on what the rules are exactly. And when will I know who I'm making a game/gift for?

Go to: