Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Smintheus - 2D Puzzle Game [Greenlight]

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Smintheus - 2D Puzzle Game [Greenlight]
Neuton Mouse
Member #15,146
May 2013

Hello there Community,

I'd like to present upcoming game - Smintheus. It's a 2D hybrid puzzle game mixed with some quirks from other genres. It's still under development and came to the final stage (95%) so i hope it will be released soon.

I've launched a steam greenlight campaign recently. All possible support is appreciated :). Here's da link with all the stuff: Smintheus Greenlight page

The game is obviously done using Allegro library which i'm very happy with. This library saved me a lot of time and nerves in programming. It's easy to learn and use - that was the reason of a choice. Haven't been active member here but i lurked here quite a long time. When documentation failed to provide essential help the forum helped;Fortunately, i've had all the answers here.

So, what do you think about it?
Any feedback is welcomed. ;D

{"name":"smintheus_1.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/1\/a15d84c1b11f54e1bebbe80fa40e07ce.jpg","w":1920,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/1\/a15d84c1b11f54e1bebbe80fa40e07ce"}smintheus_1.jpg

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I upvoted/whatever on Steam. Congratulations!

Did you use Allegro 4 or Allegro 5?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neuton Mouse
Member #15,146
May 2013

Thanks Chris, i appreciate it :)

I've used Allegro 5 version and updated it two times since last Spring. Right now there is 5.1.9.4. I think it's noticeable on trailer where the dialogs occur: they use one of the "latest" features of al_draw_multiline_text (a much faster variant than my own made similar function).

Guess it's worth updating even further, those glyphs could give some magic to some moments.

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

I think that if you had pixel-perfect positioning instead of tile-based positioning it would make the game seem more responsive, even if it was only cosmetic.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Neuton Mouse
Member #15,146
May 2013

No doubt it would if speaking from graphical perspective; it would affect gameplay for a great deal. But i guess it's little bit late for that.

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

I imagined you could keep the movement tile based at the physics / logic level

but also store in some extra variables an additional tile_offset_x/y pair that is only accessed by the control input and the sprite drawing on the screen

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

m c said:

I imagined you could keep the movement tile based at the physics / logic level

but also store in some extra variables an additional tile_offset_x/y pair that is only accessed by the control input and the sprite drawing on the screen

Isn't... isn't that what he's already doing in the video? Animations walk smoothly between tiles and stop on tiles.

It worked fine for Space Station 13.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Very nice. I am curious, what all is involved in Steam Greenlight? I'm also curious what language and compiler you used for this?

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Neuton Mouse
Member #15,146
May 2013

It worked fine for Space Station 13.

It sure did :)

Neil Roy said:

Very nice. I am curious, what all is involved in Steam Greenlight? I'm also curious what language and compiler you used for this?

Thanks Neil,

I've used c++ and done it on newest MVS using integrated clang compiler (LLVM-vs2013_xp Platform toolset). Few months ago i was playing with GCC (4.9) on linux, the game compiled with no problems or errors (which is strange because i recall moments in past where one code compiles in one place with OK results and suddenly GCC punches you in the head with same code), guess the code under /W4 did the job.

I didn't quite get this:

Neil Roy said:

what all is involved in Steam Greenlight?

What do you mean?

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

use < > instead of [ ]
And for quote it's <quote name="Name">
Edited: you changed while I was posting :-p

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Neuton Mouse
Member #15,146
May 2013

use < > instead of [ ]

Yeah, noticed that but you were fast. Hard to get used to after phpbb forums.
No preview button on reply :(

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Hu ? I have a preview button on each reply window there, though it's on top of the edit box.

Edit: and yeah it was fast because I didn't noticed you just replied.
I also voted for your game on steam ;-)

Neuton Mouse
Member #15,146
May 2013

Hu ? I have a preview button on each reply window there, though it's on top of the edit box.

Edit: and yeah it was fast because I didn't noticed you just replied.
I also voted for your game on steam ;-)

Damn, again my bad; need to have some rest i guess. i didn't noticed preview's sitting right to Formatting Help button, i was focusing near Add Reply button... again phpbb habits ::)

Thanks for the vote GullRaDriel, much obliged ;D

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

You're welcome :-)

Go to: