Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Tonight, there will be shadows

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Tonight, there will be shadows
duncan perham
Member #15,403
November 2013

WOW, thats pretty awsome, any chance you could do a full idiots guide tutorial for it :). I would love to be able to do a lot of that stuff.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Really really remarkable, as in Mark's standards.

That's some serious 3D!

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Yeah, I'm going to eventually need to do everything he's done so far. It'd be great to see a tutorial / write-up. :)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

That's a nice little tutorial series. Just checked it out myself.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

BitCruncher
Member #11,279
August 2009

Nice work. Have you played around with Blender's water/soft body simulation physics? It's pretty neat. It takes a beast of a cpu to render, though.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I never really tried doing 3D with Allegro, but this makes me reconsider it.

---

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Neil Roy said:

I never really tried doing 3D with Allegro, but this makes me reconsider it.

Awesome! ;D

I want to create a nice clean tutorial that walks through Allegro in 3D. Something where, by the end of the first 2 paragraphs or so you have a foolproof 3D view already setup. The foundations are ALLEGRO_VERTEX and al_perspective_transform(). Wrapping all of that into a clean tutorial that's enjoyable and stupid easy would be a lot of fun.

I should listen to the sloth:
{"name":"610165","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/f\/afa23a6dd56a0297faf6af2870a61e5d.gif","w":260,"h":146,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/f\/afa23a6dd56a0297faf6af2870a61e5d"}610165

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I want to create a nice clean tutorial that walks through Allegro in 3D. Something where, by the end of the first 2 paragraphs or so you have a foolproof 3D view already setup. The foundations are ALLEGRO_VERTEX and al_perspective_transform(). Wrapping all of that into a clean tutorial that's enjoyable and stupid easy would be a lot of fun.

That would be really nice. I have done some things with 3D, but none of it uses shaders, just the old style OpenGL stuff. I just recently FINALLY learned how to use shaders and was surprised that they were simpler to use that I thought, it's just now I need to unlearn what I learned about opengl previously! ;)

I done a simple, blocky style City3D (before Minecraft, I didn't know I was ahead of my time back then ;D )... I used Allegro for the simple 2D level editor for it. The program itself is straight Windows + OpenGL code, nothing else, which i am sort of proud of. ;)

{"name":"City3D.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/81b50f96d8900c53034c26d4517fd16c.jpg","w":1280,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/1\/81b50f96d8900c53034c26d4517fd16c"}City3D.jpg

I also created a little test program to experiment with terrain generation years ago and every once in a while I putter around with it. It's Glut + OpenGL.

{"name":"Test3D.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/3\/e3129f1100b6fbd5bdff0c0111f718c0.jpg","w":1280,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/3\/e3129f1100b6fbd5bdff0c0111f718c0"}Test3D.jpg

Anyone is welcome to download them and play around with them (Windows). They're all available here...

http://home.cogeco.ca/~nroy15/programming_index.html

---

1   2 

Go to: