Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

My cat just farted and it smells real bad. In honour of the occasion, here is a photo of her:

{"name":"610925","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/a\/9a0d936768c59016aa0bd96dba69d087.jpg","w":901,"h":901,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/a\/9a0d936768c59016aa0bd96dba69d087"}610925

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

... This thread has reached its peak, folks.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

We have a litter box on either end of our apartment, and one of them is against a wall adjacent to where the computer desk is setup. Unfortunately, when we open the patio door which is on the other side of the computer desk, the difference in air pressure draws the odors out of the litter box right across my nose... Takes a few minutes for the pressure to equalize and for the air to stop moving... A cat fart, I cannot imagine, being large enough to consume much of a room.

{"name":"bear.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/8\/783f29b0c1b9d6b2eecc029d1ef614fd.jpg","w":741,"h":771,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/8\/783f29b0c1b9d6b2eecc029d1ef614fd"}bear.jpg

It's like when my finacée farts. She thinks it's so bad, but really it's like mildly unpleasant for like 1/2 a second in the immediate spot. I drink a lot of beer and consume negligible water. Apparently the beer can cause bacteria to build up in your intestines, which when combined with newly consumed food stuffs produce a lot of gas. When I fart the room is uninhabitable for like 30 minutes. :'(

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Switch to water. You'll live longer :)

And no wonder the cat fart smells bad, considering what she's been drinking ;)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Anyone have experience with rabbits? I bought one for $6 at a flea market... problem is, the damn thing is so afraid of me. I'm the sole thing that's feeding it... you'd think it'd put two and two together that I'm not trying TO EAT IT.

I let it run around the room and it loves it. But it runs away from people. Problem is, I have to keep it from eating cables, and I have to put it away eventually. Well, it freaks the hell out when I have to "catch" it. It practically has a panic attack and the more it fights me holding it, the more scared it gets. I'd wall off this area behind the couch with my LAN cables and getting to that spot became her new all-consuming life's mission. So after like 8+ times of me "fixing" the blocking cardboard/stuff and her finding a way through--like a Raptor never testing the same spot of the fence twice--she's now terrified. Like... if she actually makes it back there, she begins to GET scared (without me even being there!) and starts "thumping" her foot. And thumping, I've read, translates to "you've caused great offense to me." But if I'm not even there, it must mean, I'm worried/upset. It's to the point that if I pick her up and put her in my arms, she immediately gets "sad"/"upset" with her ears going down. Petting her does nothing... she's so afraid the petting must seem like taunting or some other form of aggression.

If I try to put her on top of her cage and keep her from running away (like in a 2x3" spot so I can interact with her), she gets pissed that she can't adventure and--both worryingly, and somewhat comically--has a little temper tantrum. She won't bite me (although we've had a few test nibbles here and there) but she'll bite the crap out of the towel on top of her cage. I thought she was trying to get into the cage but I realized it's really a temper tantrum out of frustration. She'll nibble it angerily, biting it, pulling it out, quickly. And if I give her her food bowel, she tries to pick it up and toss it angerily. (ahah) And if I give her a toy in front of her face, she likewise picks it up and tosses it out of the way and then just stares at me.

At first, I had her cage on a table and would open it and let her climb down onto a lower table and then to the floor. So I realized it be better if her cage was on the floor and she could just go back in if she got scared. Problem is... she doesn't want to. If she gets scared, she'll go to other spots in the house... rarely does she go to her cage. So once again, I'm "the bad guy" who has to put her in her cage.

I have never worked this hard to try and get a stupid pet to realize and accept my affection. "WHY WON'T YOU LET ME LOVE YOU?!" Dogs are a 1000 times better. All you have to do is feed them and give them some affection and they'll literally die to protect you. Even my damn childhood hamsters were smart enough to understand "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." and that climbing on your hand = "sweet ass adventure time."

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Well most people that do eat domestic rabbits do feed them first... I think that rabbit has every reason to fear you. :D Rabbits are pretty low on the food chain. You won't get one to NOT run away from potential predators until you completely train the instinct out of it. Every instinct in his brain and body says to run.

Reminds me of my cat though. My cat is very wild. He's the opposite though: predator. He should be afraid of me, but isn't. On the contrary, he's happy to attack me! Consider yourself relatively lucky (as opposed to literally Lucky, my psycho cat).

Cats are stupid. For real. Cat lovers would never admit this, but they're dumb as Hell. I imagine rabbits aren't any better off. There's only so much you can do. Ultimately, you have to accept that you have a bag of rocks for a pet. It operates 90% on instinct and has a limited capacity for learning and training.

Should have got a dog... :(

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

Should have got a dog... :(

I've got two. And they rule. The older one doesn't need a leash at all and was trained as a service dog for awhile.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

The older one doesn't need a leash at all and was trained as a service dog for awhile.

Did the older dog help in the younger dog's upbringing by being a good example? I have often wondered to what extent house pets bestow customs to their younger generations.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

People are probably more responsible for animal behavior than other animals. After all, many households have a mix of good pets and bad pets. Generally, the truly bad behavior (at least among dogs) can be traced back to the humans. That said, having a cat has made me question whether the same can be said for other pets. Whereas I think dogs can understand you to some extent, and you can train them to behave as you want them to, it seems cats (and I'd imagine rabbits) are incapable of that level of understanding.

Every day with my cat is an "adventure". I close him off in the bedroom when I'm working from home because if I don't he's constantly climbing over my computer and the like. Similarly, if he's getting into trouble repeatedly and exceeds my patience then I isolate him by locking him out on the balcony or in the bedroom. On the flip side, we can leave him home alone all weekend and he doesn't seem to cause any significant chaos. It seems he's mostly only getting into trouble when we're around (but then it seems he sleeps most of the time we're gone so that he's energized to fuck with us when we come back).

All that said, I think that dogs definitely do set an example for other dogs, and can help with controlling and guiding behavior. Ultimately, the people will still have a more significant impact than the other dogs so if the people are encouraging misbehavior there's nothing the other dogs will be able to do to help.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Did the older dog help in the younger dog's upbringing by being a good example?

Yes. However, you can have another problem which we ran into. Because the second dog was so much younger, she basically "imprinted" on our older dog more than she did us at first. She could understand the dog, so she didn't try as hard to understand us. Where ever the older dog goes, the younger one follows and has to lay next to her. It's cute but also been more difficult to train her. She doesn't "trust" us as much. Whereas the other one, will do anything I tell her because she knows I'm looking out for her. So I can much more easily overcome any fears that pop up through trust. The younger dog, has random things she gets scared of, and it's much harder to "break" her fear of it. Her fear wins out over her trust of us. So clipping her nails is a big ordeal.

She also might have been abused at some point since they found her on the side of the road, and she had patches of fur that were missing. Just feeding her good food brought her fur back within a couple months. Poor doggy.

[edit] !$@!@@!%%@!!%@ I wrote like 3 pages of stuff and due to some internet connection crap I lost it all. Fuck it.

-----sig:

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

It seems he's mostly only getting into trouble when we're around (but then it seems he sleeps most of the time we're gone so that he's energized to fuck with us when we come back).

It's because he can see that you're not paying attention to him. First rule of cat.

edit:

This is where my cat is right now. When I feel her getting restless, I pat her for a minute or so, and she's good to go for another 10-15 minutes.

{"name":"3JPCLSCDimKP5MmRYVRoXXhpLmHJMjvi2JzXzGPSlbmZ3nUCfUMQlwimhxXGK0AkfpgjZZEl4AKqFzWd-ODxeBjH5NAPMLfsVacBPzRKoHmmGSaRycmejrpxYkdbrZrAq5LeaJKQSRxIQ0jJwpMVXaopsZw0jk7MmlBJk06LgzOfEoSUhMmSwIB0zGqSImeTHb0j2SZHJZEm5gM5vr1fSQHqICw3nZd4Bx64Ky49nqmzCMv5WFGaCuncrank69f","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/f\/4f016ba52b16f62567499d354ba5dd2d.jpg","w":1689,"h":950,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/f\/4f016ba52b16f62567499d354ba5dd2d"}3JPCLSCDimKP5MmRYVRoXXhpLmHJMjvi2JzXzGPSlbmZ3nUCfUMQlwimhxXGK0AkfpgjZZEl4AKqFzWd-ODxeBjH5NAPMLfsVacBPzRKoHmmGSaRycmejrpxYkdbrZrAq5LeaJKQSRxIQ0jJwpMVXaopsZw0jk7MmlBJk06LgzOfEoSUhMmSwIB0zGqSImeTHb0j2SZHJZEm5gM5vr1fSQHqICw3nZd4Bx64Ky49nqmzCMv5WFGaCuncrank69f

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Because the second dog was so much younger, she basically "imprinted" on our older dog more than she did us at first. She could understand the dog, so she didn't try as hard to understand us.

Ahh, that possibility hadn't occurred to me. I guess I figured dogs would automatically place the bulk of their dedication to the hand that feeds them... I understand where she's coming from, though. If I found myself on an alien world with an older human and two, strange lifeforms curating our environment, I'd look toward the other human for guidance.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

amarillion is your resident rabbit expert :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Ooh yes, I do know a thing or two about rabbits...

Not all rabbits like to be touched by humans. Sometimes, if they are well trained from very young they might get used to it. But it's not a natural state. Being prey animals, they are naturally afraid of bigger animals (unlike cats who take a more indifferent approach to the world around them). They don't see petting as a sign of affection, more like a big predator that is toying with its food (the food being the rabbit).

(edit: if you want to spend the time, you can train them a little bit. Make a pen, and sit in it with the rabbit. Wait, be patient, don't grab it but let it come to you. You might have to try daily for several days but eventually it will get less afraid of you. Be patient. Be the bunny whisperer. You will probably never get to the point that it will like being picked up.)

And yes, chasing a rabbit and trying to grab it is the best way to get it to run away :) When they're afraid they like to seek shelter, in corners, under the couch. Exactly where they are hard to catch. Be patient and lure them with food. And block the most sheltered areas.

And rabbits eat everything. Chairs, cables, skirting boards, plants, wallpaper. Keeping rabbits is rather expensive if you take the cost of new furniture into account.

We own two rabbits for about four years now. They're not really very well trained in being touched and being picked up. They are very good at being cute, so that makes up for it I guess. They are house-trained, they have a 2m x 3m area where they can walk freely, and once in a while we let them roam in the house (but only under supervision, we're trying to keep our current set of furniture).

If our rabbits go where they shouldn't, I find the best way is to distract them. Give them something they are allowed to chew on, cardboard cereal boxes or cardboard wrapping material. Or just some twigs. I once bought rolls of willow twigs, intended as border liners for your garden, from the pound store. Endless bunny fun. The more things they have around that they are allowed to chew on, the less likely they chew on something that is important to you.

Point of interest. The Dutch word for rodent is 'knaagdieren', which translates to 'gnawing animals'.

{"name":"610926","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/f\/1f9758872c1fe0c77f0e8767d90dc94e.jpg","w":1125,"h":2000,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/f\/1f9758872c1fe0c77f0e8767d90dc94e"}610926

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Here's another bunny wabbit. This one's decidedly less cute though.

video

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

My family used to raise rabbits for food about 10 years ago... A couple of them became pets though, as my mom and sister found them to be cute. :P

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Almost relevant, with some imagination (skip to 22:30):

video

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I'm ecstatic!

I've been developing a library to construct a minimum-set-of-dependencies to properly reconstruct any OpenGL draw call, or sequence of OpenGL draw calls. In other words, it would be able to execute any OpenGL draw call and create all the dependent resources/state changes that were active at the time.

I tested it on RuneScape. RuneScape renders item icons from models, and then copies them into a the GUI texture atlas. Here's what a cropped portion of the texture atlas looks like:

{"name":"610933","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/9\/59876b141e570a0ec30132b5b5cbebf8.png","w":1024,"h":1024,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/9\/59876b141e570a0ec30132b5b5cbebf8"}610933

(The annotations are the item icons I'm talking about).

Now, it seems my library correctly identified all dependent calls to reconstruct that texture at the end of frame 1900!

Here's an excerpt where it identified some dependent shaders:

frame 1900:
	texture 26:
		call 914: glActiveTexture
		call 1610: glDrawBuffer
		call 1611: glReadBuffer
		call 1964: glShaderSource
		call 1965: glCompileShader
		call 2135: glShaderSource
		call 2136: glCompileShader
		call 2139: glCreateProgram
		call 2144: glBindAttribLocation
		call 2145: glBindAttribLocation

And where it presumably drew an item icon:

call 436528: glBindFramebufferEXT
		call 436529: glClearColor
		call 436530: glClear
		call 436534: glBlendFuncSeparate
		call 436535: glBlendEquationSeparate
		call 436546: glViewport
		call 436550: glDisable
		call 436551: glDisable
		call 436552: glColorMask
		call 436553: glUseProgram
		call 436556: glUniform1f
		call 436559: glUniform1f
		call 436564: glUniform1i
		call 436568: glUniform4fv
		call 436571: glUniform1f
		call 436574: glUniform1f
		call 436577: glUniformMatrix4fv
		call 436579: glDrawRangeElements
		call 436582: glBlendFuncSeparate
		call 436583: glBlendEquationSeparate
		call 436586: glDisable
		call 436587: glDisable
		call 436588: glColorMask
		call 436589: glDisable
		call 436590: glDepthMask
		call 436591: glDepthFunc
		call 436592: glDisable
		call 436620: glUseProgram
		call 436621: glBindVertexArray
		call 436623: glEnableVertexAttribArray
		call 436624: glVertexAttribPointer
		call 436625: glEnableVertexAttribArray
		call 436626: glVertexAttribPointer
		call 436627: glDisableVertexAttribArray
		call 436628: glDisableVertexAttribArray
		call 436629: glDisableVertexAttribArray
		call 436630: glDisableVertexAttribArray
		call 436631: glDisableVertexAttribArray
		call 436632: glDisableVertexAttribArray
		call 436633: glDisableVertexAttribArray
		call 436634: glDisableVertexAttribArray
		call 436635: glDisableVertexAttribArray
		call 436636: glDisableVertexAttribArray
		call 436637: glDisableVertexAttribArray
		call 436638: glDisableVertexAttribArray
		call 436639: glDisableVertexAttribArray
		call 436640: glDisableVertexAttribArray
		call 436641: glBindFramebufferEXT
		call 436645: glUniform4fv
		call 436647: glUniform1i
		call 436649: glUniform1i
		call 436650: glDrawArrays
		call 436655: glUniform4fv
		call 436657: glUniform1i
		call 436659: glBindFramebufferEXT
		call 436663: glUniform1i
		call 436664: glDrawArrays
		call 436669: glDisable
		call 436670: glEnable
		call 436671: glBlendFuncSeparate
		call 436672: glBlendEquationSeparate
		call 436673: glColorMask
		call 436675: glViewport
		call 436677: glCopyImageSubData

In total it took about 2,000 calls that resulted in the texture!

Now I've got to write a program to replay the calls!

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Awesome work!

-----sig:

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

So it's basically like the resource tracker/extractor feature sometimes found in advanced emulators but with anything that uses OpenGL? If so, that is the coolest thing I've heard all week.

Also, now I'm wondering how bunnies express happiness, when they seem to be such worrywarts.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

They twitch, bounce, and bolt around the room!

video

-----sig:

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Indeed, it's called a Binky, and it's a sign of happiness.

You should try my game Happy Usagi, the point of the game is to make them do a binky :)

Speaking of which, tomorrow I'm presenting this game at the Amsterdam Indie Game Show & Tell Meetup! I'll be pitching TINS and allegro as well.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Haha, that's cute (even the name). I'll check out your game.

Good luck with the presentation!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Is... is 50 the maximum pages and we're just making one long super page?

-----sig:

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

50? If you talking about this topic, I'm only on page 13.

Wow, I just noticed I haven't found a quote to replace my Windows 8 quote in my sig...

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Go to: