Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Haha you're not the first person to say that. I literally want something that mimics a checklist with a few extra features: 1. being able to estimate/assign points and; 2. being able to measure previous progress. That's it.

{"name":"613177","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/b\/cb0d940e8153df66bfc6c4d12258d228.png","w":1728,"h":1713,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/b\/cb0d940e8153df66bfc6c4d12258d228"}613177

And there it is. 😎

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

gillius
Member #119
April 2000

If you think JIRA is bad, you haven't been around long enough to see just how bad some systems can get.

But I like JIRA. Maybe I'm part of the problem. At my last job we started with JIRA and moved to Azure DevOps, which was not as good I think. Although, it was about when it launched and I have to give MS credit for doing a lot of major development while I noticed it.

Of course, the systems work best if they are allowed to integrate properly with your CI/CD and version control system. Azure DevOps didn't have wiki (at least at the time we used it) so we still had Confluence. And Mercurial although we were slowly switching to git. So we lost all integration.

Now I am working with Apple Radar, and that's a whole different world of both some interesting features but a whole lot of less interesting attributes...

But the problem even in the places that do use JIRA is that if it gets out into the hands of a large organization they are going to mess it up and customize it into something crazy, unless you're really lucky. Same is true about almost every off-the-shelf system.

And if you ever feel uncertain, you could always try bugzilla. I never really used it directly, so I guess I can't speak about it... But I never could get over the looks.

A tool I set up for a team to use almost 20 years ago now is Trac. It's the first system I used that combined wiki, source control (SVN at the time), and issue tracking all at once. I'm not even sure Atlassian existed at the time or maybe it was just JIRA. Looks like it still exists (https://trac.edgewall.org/). It was easy to set up and had a really nice plugin system (it's a Python-based tool). Never really took off and I didn't see it used anywhere else.

What's weird is the number of years I've been around and it's odd how a "new feature" comes along and something had it years ago. More surprisingly is when a new system comes out and you lose some really valuable feature and everyone likes the shiny stuff they sort of forget about what they lost...

I remember everyone flipped out about Remote Desktop coming out for Windows like who's ever done that before. Then all the UNIX guys in the room went ??? what about X Windows that came out in the 80s?

So I disappear from Acc for months at a time then come out with an old guy post every once in awhile. So here it is. I guess I didn't realize I've made it to old guy rambling age till now :).

Gillius
Gillius's Programming -- https://gillius.org/

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

{"name":"613188","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/a\/8a05a3f86b640f3f114315fa906e5f7e.jpg","w":612,"h":408,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/a\/8a05a3f86b640f3f114315fa906e5f7e"}613188

Haha, welcome back Gillius. We've been expecting you.

JIRA's not that bad.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

C++ and D getting some nice enhancements. I'm excited for the future.

C++20 added modules. Finally. The end of the insane, 70's era concept of using a PREPROCESSOR to include multiple files together with all the bugs, forward declarations, and slow file access that included.

D just added in beta, the 'musthave' (IIRC) keyword which fires off a compiler error if you don't check the return value of a function. So now, we can have compiler statically verified return checks. Imagine how many hundreds of posts on Allegro have been the result of people not checking return values. I've long told people, "error checking should not be opt in". If you're depending on people to do the right thing... in order to not do the wrong thing you're in for a bad time with sleepy and distracted programmers.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Speaking of contemporary compiler and language features, which language should I learn next?

I know C, C++, Java, and Kotlin fairly well. I'm familiar with HTML5, CSS3 and JS and can do basic stuff with them. Should I learn a business language like C# or should I spend my time on a scripting language like Python / Ruby? I'm comfortable programming in Python even if I hate typeless languages. What's your take? Where is the future of code?

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

The future of code is zerocode (or at least that's what's Microsoft & Co are trying to sell now. Yes, it was a trap !)

Have you tried Go, Rust, Ruby, WebAssembly ? Or just jump into the wagon and do some embedded stuff in ARM (C/C++ mainly) :-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

When it comes to learning a new language, I would go with whatever would benefit me with whatever plans I got. As my job tends to focus on the web app side of things, I'm really getting into JS right now (though I do know PHP quite well).

As I'm trying to learn Unity, I have to know C# (I made a Christmas hack game in C#, but too bad the library I used seems dead, and was a .NET 1.x code IIRC, so who knows if it would even run on current systems)

The future of code is foggy, something could appear without warning and complete take over.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Does anyone learn asm anymore?

EDIT : Changed learnt to learn.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Anyone getting timeout errors just trying to load this site recently?

It's like the server was shutdown (or whatever software Matthew uses for the web server, be it Apache, Nginx, or something else, is erroring out and not restarting)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I've noticed it. I've been having trouble logging in too.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Yep, all the time! Sometimes takes an age to load, sometimes doesn’t load at all, seems really hit and miss. Logging in via my iPhone only seems to work if I enable auto login.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Yep, all the time! Sometimes takes an age to load, sometimes doesn’t load at all, seems really hit and miss. Logging in via my iPhone only seems to work if I enable auto login.

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I tried logging on earlier, but may have forgotten my password. Eventually I got a message saying too many logins attempted and suggesting I clear my cookies, but did not say anything about me already logged on or bring up any other information. So I shut down for a few hours. I just got back to try again and found I was already logged on. Go figure.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

ALLEGRO 3.0

http://allegro.blackrook.xyz/forum/index.php

(When ML sleeps, a very wild spam appears)

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

rmbeer said:

Clones!
{"name":"latest","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/3\/d323edc415cfab9d48edecd80733b2bb.png","w":1276,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/3\/d323edc415cfab9d48edecd80733b2bb"}latest

Alex Boen
Member #23,250
May 2022

When I need information about my bike, I go on the Internet and find everything I need, it's great that we have such technology and great sites such as this link where there is all the information for bikes.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

"One of these posts, is not like the other"

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Working on an internal transfer to the team responsible for the first-party Prime Video app on Fire TV. This would be so cool. 🤞

I had a job offer from NBC Universal to work on the Peacock app before I accepted the Amazon offer, and I did similar niche things at my previous job (Truist, a regional bank here in south-east-ish USA)... This has been my dream for a while, to work on a high profile video streaming app.

I want to be able to point to the software I work on and say "hey, I made that!"

Also, I have been optimizing ItsyRealm. Like it's performing really well on macOS. From 30-45 FPS with heavy drops due to the garbage collector, to a solid 60 FPS in most areas. (For reference, LuaJIT doesn't JIT well [or at all] on macOS/M1 - the performance is a lot worse than all other platforms - so it will run like butter on PC/other platforms).

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Congrats!

-----sig:

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: