Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

If I remember correctly, the N64 came out when other platforms were releasing their games on cd. Nintendo chose to stay with cartridges. That was a near fatal disaster. I think the Game Boy is what kept them alive until they developed better products.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Bob Keane said:

That was a near fatal disaster. I think the Game Boy is what kept them alive until they developed better products.

Oh yeah! When FMV's became "the norm", N64 was sitting there looking like pixelated crap. And I loved my N64 but the games were so expensive (convincing your parents to buy a ~$70 game?!), and the games so rarely worth keeping. We rented a LOT of games back then.

I've thought before about how most systems, most games end up sucking. But from what I recall, Playstation had SO MANY more games, so with the same ratio they had more hits. But I'm no expert on actual PS1 games. (Bushido Blade was INCREDIBLE though!)

- Mario 64 has aged well.

- Turok 1 and 2 have more-or-less been completely superceded.

- Goldeneye 64 and Perfect Dark hold up... ish. Perfect Dark always was "uglier" and ran at like half the framerate because they had way more textures and models going on. 4 player + 8 bots mode would literally freeze for seconds when people shot too many grenades.

- Banjo and Kazooie 1 and 2 are good IIRC though I haven't replayed them.

- Conker's Bad Fur Day is a masterpiece.

- Blast Corps is dated and feels almost like a "Unity Game" at times but is still fun

- Battletanx 1 and 2 are... still unique but definitely rough on the edges.

I used to play a game called Operation Winback which had a kickbutt soundtrack. A bunch of games like Winback that came out around the same time would come out for both N64 and Playstation with the PS1 being slightly later, having higher quality remasters of the music (or sometimes completely DIFFERENT music!).

Oh man, Road Rash 64 had a great soundtrack and was a great game at the time.

Oh man, Space Station Silicon Valley is still one of my favorite underappreciated games. You play as a robot microchip that can enter robot animals, and have to solve puzzles and fight other animals to beat levels. Every enemy can then be used as a vessel after killing it. Made by DMA Design... later renamed to ... Rockstar Games.

-----sig:
β€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

;D, Space Station Silicon Valley and Turok is two of my favourite games!

The first after advancing so much I have been stuck in one part and I could never finish the game. :'(

In the second I loved to feed the raptors with the indians.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

RmBeer2 said:

The first after advancing so much I have been stuck in one part and I could never finish the game. :'(

I got a whole 4K lets play of the entire thing on youtube from years ago. :)

video

It's one of my favorite games.

-----sig:
β€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

As the one responsible for changing the subject from Goldeneye to N64 games, I nonetheless decided it would be cruel to post a photo of my N64 games or leastways pointless.

I guess the lull in activity is due to krampushack. I hope all participants are getting on well with that. I hope everybody's okay too.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I have a little money saved up from over the holidays. Should I spend it on a new console? If so, which one and why. I am thinking of PS5 Pro for the 4k support but all I have right now is an HDTV. Which one has the best games? Is XBone still making Halo games? ;D. Which one has the best online store? Do they all have one? Do I have to rent games these days, or can I buy them still... I haven't played a console since XBox 360, PS2, and Nintendo GameCube for reference. So I'm a little behind in console news.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

For PS, you either mean PS4 Pro, or PS5, there is no PS5 Pro (yet, the console is only a year old)

They all have online stores now BTW.

I never had anything Xbox related, so I have no clue what the Microsoft side of things are like (well, maybe the store in Windows 10 is something to go by?)

My last PlayStation was PS2, so I have no experience on how they do things now.

I have the Wii, Wii U, and the Switch (got the OLED model coming in this week). The store is ok, and it would not surprise me if Sony or Microsoft did their stores better. It is nice to buy games from Nintendo's web site and it auto downloads on the Switch at least.

Nintendo has this online service which you do pay for (mostly to be able to play online), and it has some games tied to you paying for it. Base level has some NES and SNES games you can play (online multiplayer support as well, seems limited to two players, so if a game supported more than 2 players appeared, I assume it would be limited to local play for that), and 2 "_ 99" games (Tetris and Pac-man). Then there's the upper level which is too much money for what you get right now, has some N64 games (poorly emulated compared to what the Wii U and Wii did) and Sega Genesis games.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I guess the lull in activity is due to krampushack. I hope all participants are getting on well with that.

Ya man, all my time's on this right now.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlare β€’ AllegroFlare Docs β€’ AllegroFlare GitHub

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

I spent all my time paying 0 cents to download all the old games along with all the old emulators. 8-)

{"name":"Free-Guy.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/c\/0c86d6969aeb684891d84d64d6746379.jpg","w":1600,"h":2286,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/c\/0c86d6969aeb684891d84d64d6746379"}Free-Guy.jpg

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

shgksafjghdfsakgh

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Well, with the site being down / laggy , only a few people could get here.

That said, Hi lurkers ! 8-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

DON'T LOCK THIS THREAD!!!

video

I want download this film. All complete in spanish!

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Just lurking, not doing much. Seen this online today which made me laugh out loud. Been there, done that...

{"name":"613097","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/3\/930019b08c4a07b443920cd29bc483a8.jpg","w":751,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/3\/930019b08c4a07b443920cd29bc483a8"}613097

---
β€œI love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Meh ? Ed ? What's going on buddy ? Move yar brain ! 8-)

Indeterminatus
Member #737
November 2000

Oh, I see this thread is still going on. Nice work, guys!

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Well this thread got a bailout a few months ago >:(

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

It's lifetime is indeterminatus. ;D

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

{"name":"inconceivable.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/3\/93c8922b7cd1c3fe8a5bdaa759a9964f.jpg","w":640,"h":336,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/3\/93c8922b7cd1c3fe8a5bdaa759a9964f"}inconceivable.jpg

EDIT
Dudez, itz been a week since anybody posted... doesn't anyone love allegro anymore???????

So, here's a purple dinosaur.
{"name":"purple-dinosaur-clipart-3.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/b\/8bc1fca3929cb8e4364bd445ecb121c8.jpg","w":880,"h":694,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/b\/8bc1fca3929cb8e4364bd445ecb121c8"}purple-dinosaur-clipart-3.jpg

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I have almost 12 thousand posts under this account. I did my part. ;) But now I'm an old, rickety man.

-----sig:

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Old man? You're just a young pup. I have 13000 posts by now.

{"name":"8592.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/1\/31d58c3928818be54298c31351d1cda2.png","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/1\/31d58c3928818be54298c31351d1cda2"}8592.png

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Just curious Edgar. Where did you get the graph of your posts?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Your forum graph is in your profile.

{"name":"613106","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/a\/6aacc59ee0f343ad315d75fae351544b.jpg","w":640,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/a\/6aacc59ee0f343ad315d75fae351544b"}613106

Go to: