Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Before I buy something, I ask myself whether it's a want or a need. If it's a true need (necessary to keep living or to continue working, for example), I'll usually get it, but if it's just a want, I'll sit on it for a time.

I'm in that boat now. I have a dead laptop I've been thinking about fixing. I've been thinking about replacing the hard drive and setting it up as a gaming computer but my current one works fine.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Stuff doesn't fit in your car? Get a bigger car! ;D

I don't spend money on things that don't last or I won't actually use. Also if I buy something as an upgrade, then I sell, donate, or trash whatever it replaces. I will spend more money on quality things that I will use a lot.

https://takeyausa.com/products/matte-metallic-collection-insulated-water-bottle/18oz_Onyx?variant=31252089897069

Saved you some money on your water bottle. Cancel that order and get something else.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Any garbage game playing:

video

NO THREAD LOCK HERE!!!

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

{"name":"612876","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/5\/5572f109a2bcbdca0e02dc4ff9ec36bb.png","w":926,"h":462,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/5\/5572f109a2bcbdca0e02dc4ff9ec36bb"}612876

Broke 1,000 commits with the latest PR to add cutscenes. πŸ₯Ί

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Saved you some money on your water bottle. Cancel that order and get something else.

{"name":"KIpHiif.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/2\/3245a6d4d3e63557e5001b9ce9cf4c5e.jpg","w":4032,"h":3024,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/2\/3245a6d4d3e63557e5001b9ce9cf4c5e"}KIpHiif.jpg

Fortunately I can't see your negativity behind my enormous rehydration vessel so I can't respond to whatever nonsense you're going on about. >:(

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

How does the water taste?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Cold and refreshing. It is a Hydro Flask 40 oz Wide Mouth with a Wide Mouth Straw Lid. I most likely Googled for a list of best products, and scrutinized the results until I found one I liked, and then found the closest thing I could find on Amazon Canada and customized to my liking. I don't really remember how I found out about them, but they were said to be good, and I can't complain. It works great and looks good. I underestimated how large 40 oz is, but I guess this is what I want. I only need to drink two full bottles a day. Hopefully this makes it convenient to drink my daily water. >:(

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I've got several of that brand. Sounds twice as expensive as what it costs here. :o

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

My last change in the Image Viewer:

http://blackrook.xyz/2021-02-12%2005-28-57.mp4

I'm still developing it for DeepBlue, albeit at a slow pace. It's supposed to be an image viewer, where multiple users can upload multiple directories.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Looks nice RmBeer2

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Oh my god, my old login still works! I've missed you all.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Fellas, my desktop's PSU is generating annoying coil whine. A little "percussive maintenance" to my desk clears it for a short time. Any remedies other than replacing it?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

It's decepto!

Holy shit!

Time for https://www.speedtest.net

Here are my results :

{"name":"612892","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/d\/8d8b97dd314b3710541f5b8432e0ff89.png","w":1167,"h":572,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/d\/8d8b97dd314b3710541f5b8432e0ff89"}612892

Meh. Acceptable. For now. I want fiber. >:(

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

{"name":"10967666676.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/a\/6ab040b57d0ad3d72ca23588f01dfaca.png","w":750,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/a\/6ab040b57d0ad3d72ca23588f01dfaca"}10967666676.png

I'm not sure about how they achieve the results though. If I try to use a server in my own country I get ping times way higher than I do if I use an American one, and the download speed gets cut to less than half what I also get using an American server.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

{"name":"612893","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/e\/ee0f8bc26612dbc443fa0f653d311fe9.png","w":465,"h":172,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/e\/ee0f8bc26612dbc443fa0f653d311fe9"}612893

Top is the ISP's server, bottom is a server hosted by my job.

I remember when my speed was about half of what it is now, another forum I was in wanted to know people's speeds to a server near where the game's servers was hosted at, and I got download speeds noticeably faster than what I should have gotten (like my ISP put me in a higher tier when I ran the test by mistake)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Well. I can say that here we're having good speedtests (and we were watching Netflix at the same time)
{"name":"612894","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/4\/34a9a25f2eac03a2568d8554d5b1b1be.png","w":722,"h":346,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/4\/34a9a25f2eac03a2568d8554d5b1b1be"}612894

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I've been having lots of trouble with Internet lately. Several outages a day. I can't seem to isolate the problem to either my VPN (ExpressVPN), which seems to be unstable and dropping regularly and then struggling to reconnect, or my Internet connection itself. Windows first shows that the LAN has no Internet, and ExpressVPN claims to still be connected. However, my phone doesn't seem to have a problem, and I think it's too stupid to automatically switch to mobile when the LAN can't reach the Internet (but I could be wrong).

I was also suspecting that the modem was bad so I had a tech support guy show up to replace it. Embarrassingly enough when my wife called them I unknowingly had a large download going on in my office that I had forgotten about. I can't remember now what it was, but probably either an update or a game install. So that was most likely the explanation for the shitty connection when we called support. At the time I think I was overwhelmed with critical bugs and already exhausted and losing sleep so I think I wasn't able to worry about it at the time and encouraged her to call the ISP instead.

That said, I have been routinely losing my connection ON my sole computer at home (my work laptop) while no downloading should be going on, etc. It wasn't a complete waste of time because I also had him remove an unused cable running from the utility pole to the house right over the driveway. Anyway, even with the new flashy modem it seems unreliable. And prior to a month or two ago I would say Internet has always been very reliable with this ISP. It just doesn't fit that the Internet is the culprit.

To throw an extra wrench in my gears I switched ExpressVPN to use the Lightway protocol, which is in beta or something, so there's a chance that it's the specific protocol that is the issue... Though I think I remember having issues prior to switching protocols... Or did I.... Fuck...

{"name":"10996555964.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/8\/a8ab7f798eded282278e007bf2601657.png","w":750,"h":400,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/8\/a8ab7f798eded282278e007bf2601657"}10996555964.png

It's as advertised right now though. That's over ExpressVPN.

Append:

My mental health is as unstable as ever. But I'm also doing better managing my symptoms. I'm predominantly back to drinking water, which is a big benefit for my health (thanks, LennyLen). I just purchased a dosist(tm) dose controller with a "calm" cartridge to test out.

It's basically a concentrate vaporizer pen with a medical/therapeutic twist. They aim to provide you with specific properties or feelings instead of just giving you the flower or byproducts and letting you get whatever you get. The dose you get is supposed to be precisely measured by the pen every time. Whereas your run-of-the-mill concentrate pen for stoners is just a free-for-all. You can (and I have) get into trouble with them (though after you do you'll almost certainly level up to their level). So I can see the use for a precise dose, and with so little research out there right now it's good to have a private corporation striving to solve the problem of making medicinal use of cannabis effective and reliable.

The calm cartridge is 6:1 CDB (non-psychoactive) to THC (psychoactive). CBD in the presence of THC within our bodies is believed to have various healing properties. It generally also counteracts the high. At this ratio I don't feel any kind of high, but I do think that it is helping me with managing anxiety. It's not cheap though.

I've been trying to put effort into reading a paper book for a change. To motivate myself the book is very stimulating. "The Privileged Sex" by Martin Van Creveld. It's essentially the book to debunk the entire 3rd wave Feminist movement. :P Unfortunately, it's not going to be enough to counter the collapse of society as we know it, but at least it's nice to know that I'm not crazy. :P Creveld is said to be one of the world's leading historians on military history and warfare. The book is full of references too (sorry, those aren't verses, it's not that kind of holy book). I find that reading helps to calm my brain down too. And it helps to combat the concentration and memory loss issues I've been having.

It also helps me to smoke. As an alcoholic on the wagon for about 2 months now I generally smoke the way I would drink my first beer: desperately and much too quickly. That works great for pounding back a first beer, but if you smoke too quickly then your joint will deform and you'll end up fighting it to stay lit and burn all the flower. When I smoke without reading I generally am fighting the paper to keep up with the flower inside. I'm hitting it too hard and too often. When I read something this provocative while I smoke I get into the book and forget to smoke. I end up with a perfectly burning joint instead. :)

I think that my dad still doesn't know that I smoke weed. I've told my mom, but her memory is really poor too, and she's also conservative minded and misinformed so I think she's somewhat in denial about it. Anyway, initially it was no big deal, but now I find that it is consuming my life. And not in a bad way. I don't even think that I'm addicted. I think that my tolerance is just getting so high that in order to achieve the relief that I'm seeking I need to consume more and more. Pretty soon I'm going to need to take a tolerance break I think.

My understanding is that THC binds to receptors in your endocannabinoid system. Essentially, THC and CBD just happen to resemble the structure of other chemical signals that our bodies expect, and so they end up filling up those receptors and interfacing with our system. I also recently learned that they might trigger your body to increase the count of receptors as well over time. I guess for a daily user like myself all of your receptors get filled up, and so it takes more and more THC in your system to reach receptors that aren't used yet.

According to a stoner YouTube channel I've been watching it takes about 28 days to fully reset your tolerance back to zero. Though if you take a break for 48 hours it is said to have an immediate effect too, but it won't last as long. I'm a bit skeptical though because I think that I did quit for a month when things first got bad, and I found that my tolerance came back almost immediately.

I have a new bong, which has been a lot of fun to smoke from, but I'm not very good at it. I sometimes seem to screw up my breathing and waste some of it. But when I get everything right it's such a convenient way to get a full dose.

The only way up from here are concentrates. Otherwise known as dabs. Or rather, dabbing is one method of consuming concentrates. I've been slowly acquiring the kit required to try dabbing for myself. I bought a quartz banger that will interface with my bong to save money, and bought a titanium dabber/carb cap. The last piece to the puzzle is a butane torch to heat the banger up to temperature. I'm just waiting for that order to arrive and then I'll go shopping for my first concentrate outside of pill and pen form. :) I'm excited to reach a new level of highness because it is getting difficult to afford flower to get high, but I'm also worried to become permanently dependent on it. The nature of concentrates also almost certainly means they'll be much more expensive, and so I likely won't be able to afford them permanently. At least, not without first growing my own, and then processing my own concentrates.

Producing my own concentrate oil is a long term optional side quest. First I need to get growing my own. It's getting expensive to keep buying the government weed so I'm hoping to save some money by buying government seeds and growing my own plants instead. Even if that just supplements my supply, anything to save money on this stuff will help. I have a grow tent now, though I damaged part of it while assembling it, but I don't think that part really matters, and I'm waiting for the Chinese retailer on Amazon to follow through on a promise to ship me a 2nd free tent if I left a rating. Of course, I can't be bought, so my rating was fair and unbiased. I'm uncertain if they're still going to honour their offer now. Their response rate is low so it has been a few days since I've heard from them. In any case, I still need at least a light to provide the electromagnetic and heat energy required, then a big enough pot, soil, and fertilizer/plant food. I have seeds in the fridge, but they're very old at this point and were left on my desk for the first 6 months or so of my ownership of them so I'm skeptical that they'll still grow. If not I'll need to buy some new seeds. And I might need or at least some additional fans and filters to manage airflow and odour. But money is limited, and I'm trying to achieve a first grow with as little money invested as possible, so I might attempt it without the fans and other flashy stuff...

Oh, yeah, bump.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Test #2. My upload is terrible.:-X

{"name":"612908","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/c\/3c2e99324b3876debc3e97962173d795.png","w":734,"h":159,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/c\/3c2e99324b3876debc3e97962173d795"}612908

And that ping...

I could never play a MMOFPS I would be lagging like a lame donkey

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

{"name":"612909","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/9\/194e91001d7c926718af796581a56d22.png","w":631,"h":82,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/9\/194e91001d7c926718af796581a56d22"}612909

Remoting into my work machine

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Not bad @MiquelFire

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I'm fairly certain my job has MUCH bigger pipes than that. Considering they're using a B class IP block at least.

Also, I forgot to change it here, but they do host a server for SpeedTest :P

---
MiquelFire.red

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Where do you all live? The 3rd world? Do your kids sort through burning garbage and play "find the shiney?" :P

video

My internet is 200 down and it's pretty crap. My brother can get 10 gig symmetric up and down for $150 / month.

On the otherhand, an MRI is $750 and a doctors visit is $350.

-----sig:
β€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

{"name":"612912","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/5\/b58791f6cb2dd9b4ac1a909052db203a.png","w":479,"h":80,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/5\/b58791f6cb2dd9b4ac1a909052db203a"}612912
Acceptable. A bit lower than my ISP promises but I'm on wifi.

My last doctor's visit was 4 EUR. The one before that I think might've been 25 EUR or something.

Go to: