Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I will send my scary video game characters after you. >:(

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

The old "let perfect be the enemy of good" argument, eh Bam? CO2 is either the largest threat to the planet or comparably minor potential pollution concerns are. Pick a lane. And no, spent nuclear material doesn't have an infinite half life. Sure, pie in the sky dreams like a global solar-powered electrical grid sound cool but how many generations will it take to build that? As far as I'm concerned, we could look toward using solar where possible and then use more traditional fuel sources whenever solar isn't sufficient (dark days, night time, etc). However it would also be irresponsible to not point out that the amount of waste per unit of energy is enormously higher with solar energy than nuclear. There are trade-offs with each energy technology.

The nuclear option (in the context of Congress) was one of the worst ideas the Democrats chose to employ. The Republicans simply escalated on it for judge confirmations, and now it will escalate to the point the Democrats want to pack the Senate, pack the Supreme Court and build a mob rule majority in perpetuity. That's clearly the most dangerous path for the government to be on. And seriously Matt, lay off the hard drugs. White SJWs are closer to white supremacists than any significantly sized group of conservatives, with their righteous "we are the only saviors of minorities" mindset. But then again you get political dumb asses labeling conservative Jews as Nazis and conservative black people as white supremacists, so such slurs really don't mean much anymore. I don't care whether you'll admit it, but Biden is a terrible person, much worse than Trump. Also, our country is so much better off that Hillary didn't win. Far leftists only care about a politician's sanctity when it's applied to the other side, so spare me the fake protest.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The white supremacists largely support Trump. It's amazing you would argue that point of all things. I'm saying they should have their own party, and not pollute the Republican party. Because yes, they are having an impact on the Republican agenda for the worst.

And yes, the so-called nuclear option's chain of events most closely originated with the Democrats (without going back to an unreasonable time of events). Simply enlarging the the courts won't be the end of it, which is why both sides need to come to an agreement to reset the rules back to reasonable terms where we don't get both sides trying to push the most left/right judge they can find.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

raynebc said:

Sure, pie in the sky dreams like a global solar-powered electrical grid sound cool but how many generations will it take to build that?

It's going to employ millions upon millions of people internationally, which will boost growth and help to pull people out of poverty. All while we gradually work to replace old, dirty infrastructure with new, cleaner infrastructure. It will be all around good for society. And in the distant future we can actually achieve our goals of 100% renewable energy and a stable and hospitable climate again. And hopefully slow and reverse the harm we're doing to our planet in time to save most lives, species, and habitable environments. Time is running out though.

How long will it take? Nobody can say that until people start doing the hard work of planning it out and eventually putting shovels in the dirt. I don't think it will take generations to get something working and get us closer than we are today. It may take a few generations to spread around the world, but it all depends on how much power (meaning influence) we put behind it. If we as a species were to make it our #1 priority to advance, backed by all of the richest countries, corporations, and people in the world I bet it could be accomplished in our lifetime easily.

Obviously there's no perfect answer to solve these problems. We need the best people working on them to solve them though. And that won't happen until we commit to solving them. The longer we delay it the longer it will take us to get there, and the more it could cost us in the end. Most importantly we need for politicians and lobbyists to stop getting to make these decisions, and instead make these decisions purely science-based (meaning respected scientists overwhelming agree with the findings).

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

raynebc said:

CO2 is either the largest threat to the planet or comparably minor potential pollution concerns are. Pick a lane. And no, spent nuclear material doesn't have an infinite half life.

You're correct, it's not INFINITE. But its so long none of us will ever see the day the decay stops and the radioactive material is stable.
https://www.visionofearth.org/news/does-nuclear-waste-last-millions-of-years/

raynebc said:

Sure, pie in the sky dreams like a global solar-powered electrical grid sound cool but how many generations will it take to build that? As far as I'm concerned, we could look toward using solar where possible and then use more traditional fuel sources whenever solar isn't sufficient (dark days, night time, etc). However it would also be irresponsible to not point out that the amount of waste per unit of energy is enormously higher with solar energy than nuclear. There are trade-offs with each energy technology.

If we don't start working on alternatives now, we won't have any. Solar is a relatively young industry, and there are many ways it could be improved. You've also discounted wind power, bio fuel, wave energy, and other alternatives to coal and nuclear. There's nothing dirtier than coal and nuclear in terms of potential danger and sickness. Heavy metals are present in solar as well, but the technology itself is cleaner if properly controlled and spent materials are recycled responsibly.

raynebc said:

And seriously Matt, lay off the hard drugs. White SJWs are closer to white supremacists than any significantly sized group of conservatives, with their righteous "we are the only saviors of minorities" mindset.

Cain, where is your brother?

Republicans - "Am I my brother's keeper?"

Democrats - "I am my brother's keeper."

raynebc said:

But then again you get political dumb asses labeling conservative Jews as Nazis and conservative black people as white supremacists, so such slurs really don't mean much anymore. I don't care whether you'll admit it, but Biden is a terrible person, much worse than Trump. Also, our country is so much better off that Hillary didn't win. Far leftists only care about a politician's sanctity when it's applied to the other side, so spare me the fake protest.

There are idiots everywhere. Do you automatically label them Democrat when you find one? I'd say there are plenty of them on the other side of that coin.

"Biden is a terrible person"
Care to back that up with any proof? Otherwise it's just slander. When we disparage Trump, it's easy, because he's the biggest con-man racist fascist wannabe dictator we've ever had for President. He is a compulsive liar. He takes bribes. He gives away positions of power for money and support for his campaign. He destroys the laws we've put in place to protect our earth, air, water, and sky in the name of corporate profit. He's an adulterer, a fake Christian, and a devil in disguise.

raynebc, I would debate this further, but you are clearly deluded. You consume Trump's lies like they're breakfast sandwiches. Your opinion sounds like a sound bite from Fox News. But you've got it all figured out, so don't worry about it. When Trump goes to prison, maybe you'll lose faith in him. He's over a billion dollars in debt. He's the worst businessman in history, and he's not only bankrupt financially but morally and spiritually as well. He's destroying what's left of the Republican party, and you best abandon ship before it sinks. If the only ones in danger of destruction were the Republicans I wouldn't care, but he's destroying our country too. He is absolutely UNFIT to be the President of our great United States of America. The sooner he's gone the better.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

https://twitter.com/mshelton/status/1318303047647309824?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1318303047647309824%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3%2Ccontainerclick_1&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.verdict.co.uk%2Ftrump-nobody-gets-hacked%2F

Guys, so, I was wondering, if it's okay with you guys, seeing as how my IQ is only 196, if I could have 15% of your passwords... don't worry, my IQ is not planning to go up to 197 anytime soon, if anything it's tending toward a very safe 195.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

15% of your password could save you 15% on car insurance >:(

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I will gladly give you 15% of my password if you give me 15% of your income.

You sell your passwords cheap. I'd ask for his soul.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Bamccaig said:

You can always change your password after selling it.

You ruined the surprise.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

5th time I tried to post in 48 hours.

this site is dead.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Your net fu is weak, grasshopper...

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002
147500e08b2a1fc01a767afc46160c1af9d3dc24.jpg

Posted on 10-22-2020 22:19 View Profile

5th time I tried to post in 48 hours.

this site is dead.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

The ItsyRealm patch notes since the March 23 birthday release are pretty big:

{"name":"612663","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/e\/7e53682b129e9082cff9d5e708c1d156.png","w":856,"h":919,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/e\/7e53682b129e9082cff9d5e708c1d156"}612663

:o

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You've been amazing us all with your productivity on ItsyRealm. :o We've been here for like 14 years and you are top ~5 in productivity AT LEAST. You might even be top 2 TBH. If not 1. :o To be fair, I consume a lot of cannabis+alcohol, and before that a lot of alcohol, and I don't care too much about that stuff, and I care more now than I did when I joined, but I can't think of [m]any things as big.

And I think ItsyRealm will be bigger than Allegro in the end. It has the potential to be. From several directions. It's not a failure if it isn't, but that doesn't mean that it can't be too. It is already more than just something. It's a significant product. It's something very impressive. I happen to love the art, and I think that there's power in the storytelling too (even if I don't agree with all of it).

Or if I do. Meh. >:(

But you've been nailing every aspect so far so I don't want to interfere with the productizing bit. You likely know better than I. I just want for you to remain focused on a release that the world can face. :) Nothing can take away what you've accomplished (side note: this is more true the closer you are to libre/open source/data). You can only go up from here. You're pretty damn high and I think you can go much higher yet[1].

References

1. Read: polished product with sufficient content ~~ big pay day from pay what you want, i think
Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Happy Halloween!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

{"name":"12865-istock-490891026.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/b\/6b710176c32166d430f8711eba570efe.jpg","w":2178,"h":1224,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/b\/6b710176c32166d430f8711eba570efe"}12865-istock-490891026.jpg

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

One more day before the final clash. Good luck to you all, I hope your country is not going to be fragmented and fighting because one of the candidate can not bear the results.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I hope your country is not going to be fragmented and fighting because one of the candidate can not bear the results.

the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants.

Apparently they thought a revolution was necessary every 50 years or so.

Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

We're in the "weak men create hard times" now.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

{"name":"p8a3ddogd3q11.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/9\/79ddc23dccc318c5c03fe4e79e7cac54.jpg","w":1280,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/9\/79ddc23dccc318c5c03fe4e79e7cac54"}p8a3ddogd3q11.jpg

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

There may be more trees, but I think there might be more Walmarts. :-/

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Go to: