Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Sounds like I am certainly lacking the knowledge to do my own tuning/mixing at this point. :P That's very generous of you to offer to do the odd job! I'll try to keep that in mind and try not to abuse it. I'd also be happy to throw a little money your way too for the work (do you have any vices, like coffee or beer, that I could contribute to?). It probably won't be a regular thing if only because I don't have much time to sing these days.

What you said about the video mic versus a studio mic makes sense. I've certainly been disappointed with a mono recording, and wished for stereo instead. I'm curious what your camera is that has such a good mic on it.

Curiously I just read today that the vocalist for Disturbed, David Draiman, also suffers from acid reflux issues and so he has to take special precautions to control it. :) I do too, but I'm not aware of it impacting my singing.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

That's really interesting, had no idea about David Draiman having reflux. Must be way more stressful when performing is your livelihood!

My dad has it too but it also does not impact when he sings (but he's not really into it like I am, he just hums the occasional tune)

For a long time my digestion greatly affected my sleep. That's why now I eat my 3 meals from 7am to 4PM then no more eating at all. By the time I go to bed around 11 I have completely digested and sleep well.

My camera is the Sony ZV1 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1565880-REG/sony_dczv1_b_zv_1_digital_camera.html

I just bought it last month. Really happy of the quality for the price. I have wanted a good camera for a while now. Mind you it was capturing the output from my monitoring speakers which are 500 CAD a piece.

I don't really have any vices hahah. I don't drink alcohol, soda, smoke weed or Tabaco, I rarely even drink juice, pretty much just water. A lot of things upset my digestion so I mostly eat home cooked meals that work for me.

You have a very similar personality to me, I know you won't abuse it ;)

I don't know if you noticed, but I also write very detailed, very descriptive posts, and find it easier to think through writing personally. Most people I work with are not like that.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thanks. Well outside of my price range even before the speakers. :D I'll just make do with what I have for now.

I would definitely agree that we are much alike in some ways. :)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

The best way to do that is by using a technique popularized by the Beatles called varispeed.

It's simple, slow down the track to 0.5 speed. Sing to it at half speed. Then bring back the bg music to 1.0 speed and put the vocal at 2.0 speed. You will sound like you're on helium and it will sound more natural than using AutoTune.

Here is an example using my voice https://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/612564

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Another trick they don't teach you in school is if you record while singing to an auto tuned song your voice is automatically auto tuned. Me and bambam jamming in the park:

bambam-ml-silence.m4a

Google Transcriptions said:

Hello darkness my old friend. I've come to talk with you again because a vision softly creeping. Left it sees while I was sleeping. And the vision that was planted in my brain. Still remains. Within the sound. Of silence. And restless dreams. I walk alone. Eros streets of Cabo, so beneath the halo of a street man.

I turned my color to the cold and damn. When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light, let's split the night. It touched the sound O silence. And in the naked light, I saw 10,000 people, maybe more. People talking with us seeking. People hearing with our listening.

Songs. That voices never share. No one dead. Disturbed the sound of silence. We'll say that you do not know. Silence like a cancer growth. Here my words that I might teach you. Take my arms that I'm my treat you. But my words like silent rain drops. Heck good in the world silence.

And the people bout engraved. Even the neon got they made. And the same flashed out it's warming in the words that it was for me and the signs said the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and whispered in. The sound.

Silent.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Sounds great, Matthew! You should join me out on tour! For real, it sounds like you have a nice, low, powerful voice. I'd love to hear more. I'm jealous.

Append:

jmasterx: You said something about prerecording, but it went over my head. Now that I'm stoned though I thought maybe it means recording yourself sing a song at first, autotune it, and then rerecord the song using your own track. Either way can you clarify what you meant? :)

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Guys, guys, this remix is so beautiful, I feel like Simon and Garfunkel are making music again :'(:'(:'(

Beautiful minor third harmonies by ML :'(:'(:'(

https://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/612566

@BamBam what I mean by prerecording is the idea that you recorded it, then did some processing on it. For example, the above is not a preprecording because both you and ML were in the room together when this was recorded live in 1 take with no editing while Edgar was playing guitar, and I was on piano / synth once again, live in the room no questions asked. A prerecording is the idea that you record different parts separately and mix them together and do processing like autotune, reverb, compression etc.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

And the noise you hear is the Trumpers begging us to go back to bashing on Trump. 8-)

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Just sounded like crickets to me >:(

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Mine doesn't start till Sundays so I'm just starting mine!

-----sig:
β€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Mine doesn't start till Sundays so I'm just starting mine!

My weekend starts on Wednesday this week. It starts a day later each week, as I work on an eight-day cycle, which was a bit strange at first, but now I wouldn't change it for anything as I work four 10 hour days, then get four days off.

The one down side is for four weeks in a row I only work 30 hours, which with the four weeks in a row I do at 40 hours means I only average 35 hours a week. But getting four days off in a row instead of the one or two that I'm used to more than makes up for slightly less hours a week.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I have a four day weekend. Friday and Monday off. 8-)

It's been awesome so far. :-*

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I get a 3 day weekend so fortunately I still have Monday off. Otherwise, I would be very bitter about the weekend being over. >:( It hasn't been a great weekend so far. I haven't been getting much sleep so I was super tired yesterday. Our puppy chewed my Tempur-Pedic pillow to pieces so I'm been sleeping on an $8 Walmart special. This morning my wife woke me up early to make her bacon, and then after breakfast her friend asked her to hang out and she bailed on me. So I went for a motorcycle ride, and on my way home I picked up our pseudo-fancy gel pillows from camp (just bungee-corded them to the tail of my bike). That was about 200 km in total, and now I'm sore all over. So it's time to get really stoned and a little drunk.

On the other hand, I was pretty distracted on Friday and haven't even logged my hours yet so I might end up putting in a couple of hours Monday and logging it for Friday... What I did get done shouldn't have taken 8 hours. We'll see. I could also use the break though.

jmasterx said:

@BamBam what I mean by prerecording is the idea that you recorded it, then did some processing on it. For example, the above is not a preprecording because both you and ML were in the room together when this was recorded live in 1 take with no editing while Edgar was playing guitar, and I was on piano / synth once again, live in the room no questions asked. A prerecording is the idea that you record different parts separately and mix them together and do processing like autotune, reverb, compression etc.

Ah, OK. I understand now.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I dropped a 9 song album

video

>:(

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

I also want to tell the story of my life and turn this thread into my daily diary. But as soon as I start writing I get lazy and don't write anything... :-/

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Very cool, jmasterx. I've loaded it up on Spotify to listen to. :) Monsters starts with that quality of your voice that I love. Pretty sure you've released that one before because I recognize it. Love it.

You're very talented to pull this all together. Do you have help for this stuff, or do you do literally everything yourself, including album artwork? It's very impressive either way. Comments on YouTube are correct. I could see you getting signed by a label.

RmBeer2, pick up a pen and notebook, escape to somewhere quiet and secluded, and just write whatever you want. :P Helps if you're listening to music that means something to you too.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

@bamccaig

Yes I do do it all myself. Songwriting, producing, performing, mixing and mastering. I also took a picture of myself in my bathroom and used the MR. Robot font.

Mr. Paper, the song, is more or less how we're overworked and under appreciated and we're all just delectate sheets of paper. As the years go by, we get stressed, but we're still expected to keep performing. And once our productivity decreases and we start looking crumbled and ripped, they just put us through the shredder and get some fresh paper to fill in the spot.

Maybe a long time ago I would have attracted a label's attention, but not so much today. The thing is labels are essentially marketing agencies. They are for profit and need to minimize risk. Thousands of people listened to my first album but only 2 people bought it (that I don't know in person).

Labels are interested in people who do the hardwork of building a following for them. If you can get a few 100,000 subscribers, they can get you radio play and give you the resources you need to grow. Labels are fuel.

If my music got the attention of a label executive, I could see them maybe wanted to sign me to a publishing deal to write demos for them. That would probably be more up my ally. I've written hundreds of songs. I am loaded with demos and ideas, I just don't have the time to produce them all.

But my personality does not really seem to appeal to non-devs. I dunno... I don't really think I'd want to be a musician really. I know for sure I would never want to tour. But I do like writing music. So if such an opportunity came up to write or cowrite I'd do it. Even be featured on a song sure, but I just don't think I have it in me to be a performer. I'm extremely introverted and while I'm very happy on the inside, it's hard for me to show it on the outside.

I'm also a very technical person. The fun for me was disecting the Pop formula, and reverse engineering every aspect of it until I had something that passed as top 40 radio Pop. As weird as it sounds that's really what got me into this.

Because I was a metal head, and kind of have a rock voice, but I can't play guitar to save my life. So I did what a dev would do and went the 100% sampled route hahah.

It was fun, but I felt with this album in particular, I really explored everything I wanted to explore with this. I'm not saying I might not make a song here and there, but I've had some programming projects floating around for a while, so I might get back into that. I always need a project that's for sure. Projects are my escape. They take my mind off of reality for a few hours a day to relax.

It was fun though and I'm really proud of the songs I have released :)

My Spades game project took 4 years to do, including the development of Agui. And before that, I did lots of art and 3D animation for most of my teens. When I was 6-10 years old I wrote short stories and poems.

I've always had to fight between my technical logical side and my feeling/altruistic side.

MikiZX
Member #17,092
June 2019

@jmasterx
I think it should be possible to attract a label with the music you make. Though 100,000 followers seems a bit steep - I would expect the label to have obligation and means of making that kind of listener base happen - if you bring the music AND the customer base then what exactly do they do?!?

@rmBeer2
Get a voice-to-text software and just let it rip.. edit a little at the end and paste here... :)

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

MikiZX said:

if you bring the music AND the customer base then what exactly do they do?!?

Have you ever watched Shark Tank ?
They invest in well established businesses who already have a good customer base.

What do they do? They get you from 100K followers to 30 million+.
They'll also book tours and build your brand, finance music videos, hook you up with the top producers/engineers.

They do however go with artists with less followers usually when they are young, full of energy and ambition, already have an agent, and they see someone with the full package. Dancing, singing, looks, commercial appeal, etc. Now more than ever though they have such a huge talent pool to choose from. I'm good, and I have a decently distinct voice, but there are a lot of people out there like me that can also dance, are younger, I'm 28, and probably have nothing to lose. I have a good dev job that I like, family, a mortgage, etc.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

@jmasterx :
You had a great life. :)

If you make money selling your creations, why the hell do you want a loan, a crowdfunding or donations? The same thing happens with the number of subscribers or people who follow you, if you get a lot of people, what the hell do you want a discography company or a promoter?
These types of organizations are useless because they always want to "help you" when you don't need help. Otherwise you need help but they reject you.
In the end they are just parasites...

The best thing to do if you need someone to promote you and manage the tours or whatever. Then open a job place.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Exactly :)

And just so yo know it would be 'have' a great life. 'Had' is in the past tense so it sounds like I am dead or about to die hahah!

MikiZX
Member #17,092
June 2019

I see what you mean - 30 million would definitively be out of reach of a single person.
With 100k in mind I was more going along the lines of https://kk.org/thetechnium/1000-true-fans/ .. thinking that out of 100k one's album would be bought by 10 percent, each paying $10 for the album - even 5% buying the album would be nice.
The problem being getting those thousands to listen. :(

I have a friend that composes piano music and we created a website with his bio and music - sort of hoping this would help build a fan base. He's on iTunes and I don't believe that he has made more than 50 euros over the course of 5-6 years.
So now we are about to look into placing his music on Spotify or Deezer but those services seems to require the artist to go through a third party (basically a label how I saw it - wrongly) like igrooves, cdbaby or Record Union. We thought this could be the thing for him, though, now, after you've explained what labels do, I see I did not understand the term 'label' very well before.
Do you think this could help him get more exposure - Deezer or Spotify? Is he likely going to be laughed at if he contacts people at igrooves or cdbaby and has maybe 99 people having heard his music or is for them this just another artist and they risk of signing him up anyways (like iTunes has)?
Sorry to be tethering here but you're the closest right now that we have to an expert. If you don't care or don't feel comfortable taking about this subject - no worries, just let it be. Thanks for your help!

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

I use distrokid, but they all do the same thing. They let you create your own label (Mine is JLD Records) and they distribute your music to all services like Spotify, YouTube Music, etc. They are not labels though. They do 0 marketing. They just put your stuff out there and it will get 0 listens without someone explicitly looking for it.

It's nice to have it on those services, sure, it might help reach more people, but practically, without a fan base it does not change much.

And I tried some of the things in that video without much success. What got me most of my followers was actually writing superficial comments on YouTube, getting thousands of likes, then editing the comment to promote my music.

this one...

video

That said, I released my album, and some guy on a Discord channel for music saw my album post and wanted to feature me in one of his songs, so I recorded a hook for him. We'll see how that goes, but I think that's the sort of thing that helps. He has an interest in promoting me and in return he gets a good singer on his track for free since he admitted he can't sing.

So now his fans will hear that, many of whom may be producers too looking for a singer, so I can do more of them and spread that way.

I could go one step further and open a fivver account and offer free features on their tracks in exchange for a shoutout.

MikiZX
Member #17,092
June 2019

Thank you Joshua! Wishing you much success!

Go to: