Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

You may to view the attachment (4k.jpg) because Allegro.cc resizes the image.

If you shift-click on the thumbnail, it will open full size in a new window.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

The more you know!

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

LennyLen said:

I see you have a boat that doesn't go anywhere. We do too, but ours isn't in as good a condition. It's still a tourist attraction though.

We used to. Some people complained that it was an eyesore and the city hauled it off to a commercial dock or something last summer. It had history on our waters, and used to offer tours during the summer to tourists. I don't think it was ever very fun, but nevertheless it was a part of history and it filled in the waterfront. I didn't agree with the decision (especially because it cost taxpayers 10's of thousands of dollars to move because the non-profit that owned the ship had no money). It's hard to say whether the decision was right or not because now with COVID-19 the marina is completely empty.

LennyLen said:

P.S. It looks very flat where you live.

It's generally not flat at all, but it's not very mountainous either. There are plenty of hills and valleys and a few small mountains. From an airplane it looks pretty flat, but from a car it does not. :P Our highways often pass through rock walls because the only way to build across this part of the province was to blast through rock (and even doing so our highways are twists and hills, making travel take longer). When I think of flat I think of Saskatchewan. When we visited there last summer it was the furthest I have ever seen an inland horizon.

Johan HalmΓ©n
Member #1,550
September 2001

You realize that if Trump wins the election, this thread has to go on for another four years to survive him?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

1. This is the thread that never closes
2. It just goes on and on like Moses
3. Some people started complaining that the threads here lock too soon
4. And they'll just keep complaining because Matthew has better things to do

5. GOTO 1

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

It's Thursday... Last post Tuesday... danger danger.

{"name":"612487","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/b\/ab294f51f65d8111098b62af020303eb.png","w":1040,"h":610,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/b\/ab294f51f65d8111098b62af020303eb"}612487

Graphics options screen! Next is keyboard controls. Woop. So boring but so necessary. :'(

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday where I reported mostly positive results. The doctor seemed quite satisfied with my progress, and wasn't concerned about my relapse (3-4 drinks per day) because it's still a big improvement over my starting point.

I asked him about an Autism diagnosis. Initially he kind of blew it off nonchalantly, saying something like "you wouldn't want to excuse behavior on that." But then he kind of circled back and said it might be useful to know where your limitations come from to work at improving them... Uhhh, thanks, I guess? He searched their system for diagnostic information, but all of it was for children. He saw a mention of an "Autism Spectrum Screening Questionnaire", but he wasn't able to find/print it. He said I'd probably have better luck and told me to do it at home.

This is the one that I found:

https://autismcanada.org/about-autism/diagnosis/screening-tools/adult/

I don't know if it's the same one he referenced. The dog literally chewed up the piece of paper the doctor wrote it on this morning. It's also difficult to answer the questions honestly when I'm biased because I already believe I'm Autistic and am afraid of being told I'm not (because then I lose my explanation for why I am different). Anyway, I did answer honestly to the best of my ability.

{"name":"612488","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/b\/3b92b023d1a67d75e4b70a4d43997c92.png","w":640,"h":316,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/b\/3b92b023d1a67d75e4b70a4d43997c92"}612488

According to that I am at "high risk" for Autism (seems an odd choice of words). Of course, I may be blocked there now because it doesn't sound like my doctor sees any value in pursuing an actual diagnosis... My next appointment isn't for 2 months so he'll probably have forgotten all about it by then. I could message him to report my findings, but I feel like that will just look desperate for a diagnosis... :-/

Append:

I think that the doctor was actually referring to ASSQ which can be found here:

https://gillbergcentre.gu.se/english/research/screening-questionnaires/assq-screening-questionnaire

Direct links:

English
Svenska

Revised to better include girls:

English
Svenska

However, these questionnaires are specifically for children. They really don't apply to adults at all. :P Evidently my doctor is not up to speed on adult diagnoses.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

For a comparison, I scored 43 on that test, and I have been diagnosed with Autism.

Here in NZ, we have an Autism Society that do all sorts of support work for Autistic people, and one of the services they provide is arranging for a diagnosis. Maybe Canada has something similar.

edit: I think this thread might be finally breaking the forum software. I tried including quotes in this post, but with them, the forum kept timing out.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Yep, you have to do the full tag stuff because this forum is too big for the auto quote stuff to work.

I think we had talked about it before in the thread, maybe at least year back?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I did the full <quote name=""></quote> thing but it still timed out.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I have had minor problems logging in to Allegro and posting. Perhaps the server is saving up to buy the farm?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

A noisy helicopter keeps swinging within a couple thousand feet of my apartment and I can't fall asleep now. >:(

There's protesting going on about probably as close as <1 mile away.

---
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

LennyLen said:

For a comparison, I scored 43 on that test, and I have been diagnosed with Autism.

Here in NZ, we have an Autism Society that do all sorts of support work for Autistic people, and one of the services they provide is arranging for a diagnosis. Maybe Canada has something similar.

I doubt it because Canada is so much bigger and sparser. It isn't easy to fund that sort of thing across the whole country. It needs to be something supported by the federal government to fund it. We'd need thousands of doctors that have studied it in depth to get anywhere. My doctor doesn't even think it's worth diagnosing... I tried https://www.autismontario.com/ and https://autismcanada.org/, but I can't seem to find any resources for adults to get diagnosed. They say to go through your general practitioner. :P So if your GP isn't motivated to diagnose you I think you run into a dead end. I might be able to persuade him for a diagnosis if I keep pushing for one. That said, I'm pretty satisfied at this point that I am on the spectrum anyway. There's too many puzzle pieces that fit. I'm not sure what a formal diagnosis would change anyway.

LennyLen said:

I did the full <quote name=""></quote> thing but it still timed out.

It needs the src attribute too to specify a URL where the quote appears or it will still do the automatic search to find which post you're quoting.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Moon !
{"name":"612489","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/f\/7f2eeebf286d59ccda6176834bf8ebfc.jpg","w":2939,"h":1959,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/f\/7f2eeebf286d59ccda6176834bf8ebfc"}612489

8-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Testing
Testing it.

EDIT =====================

I have got 54!!! YAAAAY!!! \o/ (joke)

Although much of the list doesn't make sense or is a good feature. But everything is considered autism. I don't believe a single word.

28. criticize the work of doctors

More points for me.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Richard Dawkins shared this article on Twitter. It's really long, but it's also really good. Americans should especially read this now.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/07/trumps-collaborators/612250/

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

{"name":"iOIa.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/d\/4d085f65779f3f0e60e0b004cb19afb5.png","w":604,"h":282,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/d\/4d085f65779f3f0e60e0b004cb19afb5"}iOIa.png

They have forgotten to change the Wordpress icon on the page...

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

RmBeer2 said:

Although much of the list doesn't make sense or is a good feature.

The purpose of these tests is not to be a diagnosis, but to determine whether a diagnosis may be required. You can score quite high on tests like this and not be autistic. The same can be said for most mental/neurological disorder tests.

RmBeer2 said:

But everything is considered autism.

No, it's not.

Most people will have some autistic tendencies, but that doesn't mean they're on the spectrum. Likewise most people have OCD tendencies, but don't have OCD. Most people get anxious at some point of their life, but don't have an anxiety disorder. Again, with just about any mental/neurological disorder, there are symptoms that most people exhibit to some degree.

RmBeer2 said:

I don't believe a single word.

Luckily, your belief in anything is not required.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

{"name":"shotsfired.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/b\/4ba11154571306764903ce2e62dea304.gif","w":385,"h":272,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/b\/4ba11154571306764903ce2e62dea304"}shotsfired.gif

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

bamccaig said:

Americans should especially read this now.

β€œAnd how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”
― Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

My patience for leftist propaganda is long since depleted.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

40% BTW

because facts are leftist propaganda

---
they / she

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Cherry picked data, dishonest framing and extreme bias in coverage (edit: This is in addition to overt lies of course) is indeed propaganda. You can keep it.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

because facts are leftist propaganda

Noam Chomsky agrees

-----sig:
β€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Go to: