Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

NiteHackr: You can be ignorant of science all you want. Coal is terrible, and so is wind and solar (where do you think all those rare earth minerals to build them come from? sun rays?)

I suggest if you think pollution isn't real, you start your car in your garage and take a nap. The results may shock you!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Chris Katko: I don't drive. I don't even have a license. If you're so concerned about the pollution cars make, than throw away your license and stop driving. The western nations are about the cleanest when it comes to pollution as any others in the world. If you want to tackle pollution, than you need to talk to the Asian nations where 90% of it comes from. Any tiny difference we make won't effect a thing with the pollution they are putting into the air and ocean.

As for nuclear power, I have a word for you; RADIATION or how about CHERNOBYL, FUKASHIMA or THREE MILE ISLAND?! I suggest you go camping in FUKASHIMA for a while, or maybe CHERNOBYL, the results may shock you! Nuclear power clean and green?! Wow... :o

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Edgar, the Democrats in Congress are filled with pathological liars and moral bankruptcy. Also, if your State's primary hasn't happened yet, don't forget to go vote for Warren!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I thought Warren already dropped out.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Biden touches other people's kids and smells women's hair. He's a creep.

He's also going completely senile and the MSM is desperately trying to cover it up. They're now reporting that the (1 of 3000+) verbal slipups he had at a convention saying "we're going to re-elect Trump" was "deceptively edited" as part of some conservative plot.

Except... I found the video... on the bernie sanders subreddit. It wasn't deceptively edited. It shows a senile old man being senile. The words "we're going to re-elect trump" isn't the important part. The important part is he doesn't know what the hell he's saying.

His verbal gaffs are too many to frivolously discount. If the DNC wants a senile old man, it's because they know they can control him.

Can you imagine, how INSANE the presidential debate vs Trump will be? No amount of MSM editing will save him if they're watching it live.

video

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko - how much credence do you give to a possibly corrupt DNC that is trying to nominate Biden and push Sanders under the rug like they did in 2016 with Hillary?

Also, how do you feel about the minimization of Tulsi Gabbard? She's the only one to speak out against the war machine and she is routinely prevented from debating in the democratic debates.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

In other news, I just about died laughing when I seen this meme today. ;)
{"name":"612369","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/3\/239c25166a03de2ae301399f211e6fcb.jpg","w":362,"h":315,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/3\/239c25166a03de2ae301399f211e6fcb"}612369

---

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

An article I read (I think this morning, not sure) was about a news outlet asking people about the reason for why toilet paper was being hoarded. For the most part, no one knew why, and I think all but two were shopping for toilet paper that day because they were out anyway (so even if there wasn't the run on toilet paper, they would be out buying that day regardless)

The last dude in the interview learned how much toilet was selling for on eBay, and I think the reporter made a new eBay seller that day :P

And something kinda related:

video

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

NiteHackr said:

Here in Canada t he majority of the population voted for Andrew Scheer, the Conservative leader, but Trudeau won because he won more seats.

Canadians do not vote for the Prime Minister. Canadians vote for an MP (or MPP at the provincial level), who is supposed to be a local representative to give their region a voice in government. The elected MPs (or MPPs) then vote for Prime Minister or Premier, and typically that means the party of allies that won the most seats will elect their party leader. In this case, the Liberals won more seats than anyone else and so Trudeau was re-elected. You're right that the system attempts to restore some balance to prevent heavily populated regions from controlling all of the power, however, it does a decidedly poor job of this. If you actually care about getting what you want you should vote for a local representative most likely to represent your needs. Voting for a party to be in power, or for a party based upon its leader, means that you will be getting what the party wants instead of what you want or need. And unless you're in the top 1% that likely won't do you much good overall. Voting Conservative when you aren't in the top 1% pretty much guarantees you're going to get robbed (case in point: Alberta and Ontario).

Though the Conservatives, NOT Scheer, got more votes overall than the Liberals; the Liberals won more seats because they had the most votes in more ridings than other parties. More regions didn't want Conservative than those that did.

Of course, we all know that first-past-the-post is a very poor system because while one way to interpret the results is that 33.1% of Canadians wanted Liberals in power and 34.4% of Canadians wanted Conservatives in power[1]. The better way to interpret the results though is that 63.6% of Canadians did NOT want Conservatives in power, and 64.9% of Canadians did NOT want Liberals in power.

Many of the votes for Liberal or Conservative MPs were out of desperation because the first-past-the-post system does not allow everyone's vote to actually count. Many people vote strategically for the lesser evil in their riding because they'd rather have a chance to avoid the worst evil than waste their vote on a candidate that can't realistically get the most votes, at no fault of their own or their politics. I was fortunately able to vote Green in my riding for 2019, and still have the Liberal candidate win; but in the previous election I strategically voted Liberal to keep the Conservative candidate out.

References

1. Mostly from Western provinces dependant on oil, or Southern Ontario which are pretty much Americans in disguise. Still the majority of Ontario voters voted Liberal. Conservatives only had the numbers they did because of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. And after what Ford has done to Ontario, and what Kenny has done to Alberta, you can expect the Conservatives to be a LOT less popular next time around.
Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Chris Katko, you do know another 4 years of Trump means 1-2 more extremely conservative Supreme Court judges?

For as much as the right hates "activist" judges, it's fine if they're conservative.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Constitutional originalism is not the same as activism. But we know you don't understand the difference.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

And something kinda related

That was too funny.

---

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

raynebc said:

Constitutional originalism is not the same as activism. But we know you don't understand the difference.

Says the man who probably thinks Roe v Wade was activism.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Chris Katko, you do know another 4 years of Trump means 1-2 more extremely conservative Supreme Court judges?

That's exactly why I voted for him. And I'm for liberal policies. You want to change the law? We have a building for that. It's called CONGRESS and requires people to debate things in public and be beholden to the democratic public's wishes--as opposed to the 9th circuit of appeals which is just another word for "liberal judge that does whatever the DNC tells him to" and the Supreme Court--which actually follows the law--keeps striking down.

You can want as many liberal policies as you want. But the second you start knocking down the centuries old protections and checks-and-balances we have, you are opening the door for future dictators. Every law bent by Obama for things "you wanted", was later used by Trump "to put kids in cages."

video

Says the man who probably thinks Roe v Wade was activism.

It... actually was. The woman at the core of it, even regretted "being used", and turned the rest of her life into a crusade against abortion. "That doesn't matter" I can already hear it in your head. Which is sad, because apparently a woman's opinion only matters when it's for the thing you think she should think. The same way Democrats treat black people who show any unorthodox-to-the-DNC thoughts. (Fun fact: A record number of blacks and Hispanics are now voting for Trump because they're sick of the DNC taking their votes for granted and never actually helping them. >48%< of Hispanics "omg I thought he put them all in cages--maybe I didn't know what the hell I was talking about.", and 27% of blacks.)

Another fun fact: Super liberal Ruth Bater Gisnberg has publically stated, to Salon/Slate/Huffington Posts horror, that Roe v Wade is incorrect judgement. Why? The answer is pretty simple. She's a goddamn Supreme Court justice who takes her role as a someone setting precedent now with impact for centuries in the future, that if people want abortion legal, congress should pass a law. You know, their entire job.

Want more immigrants (like I do)? Pass a !@$!'ing law to make it easier to get in legally. So you don't have a bunch of illegal immigrants 1) pissing off all the legal immigrants (that's real, btw), and 2) constantly afraid of going to the cops because they might be deported so it's easy to exploit them by citizens AND employers.

The answer is pass a law not, conveniently forget about illegal immigration while your president is in office leaving them to constantly wonder whether the next one will kick them out.

The solution to "congress is totally inept" is not to "forget congress and ignore the laws" the solution is: FIX THE UNDERLYING PROBLEM. Ignoring the laws ALWAYS comes back to haunt you. It's not applied equally (doesn't equality matter???) and it's abused by later politicians. Why should Mexicans in California get good treatment, but those in every other state get screwed? Because it's not a !@$!'ing law. And those Mexicans deserve to be treated well just as good as those privileged enough to be in California.

-----sig:

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Can't wait for the Republican senate to extend civil rights to protect gender identity when the activist Republican judges make it legal to fire peeps if they're transgender. You know, that big Supreme Court case that's been going on for a few months now.

Wait, that's not going to happen...

---
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's a problem that "executive orders" exist at all and/or can be used so easily. Obviously, the laws to govern them need to be tightened up, or just remove the concept entirely. There's no point debating the effects of that if you aren't going to question it directly because it'll just keep happening until you take it away.

The problem is that the system has too few voices. We inevitably end up with either one voice in power, or two voices deadlocked. One voice in power is basically a dictatorship in a red dress. Two voices deadlocked is a waste of everybody's time. There should be thousands (not hundreds, let alone 2) of voices, and everybody should be protected from backlash from their "party" (or we should just abolish parties).

Perhaps the votes in the house/congress/senate need to be anonymised so that everybody has plausible deniability that they voted in line with their party even when they didn't. At some point it'll become pretty damn obvious that you did because so did almost everybody else, but until then people would be free to vote the way they feel without worrying about their job.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

How's everyone's stocks doing? :'(

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

How's everyone's stocks doing?

I moved all my shares of DOW to a high interest savings account a month ago #sheltered

It's gonna be a nice boost once I opt back in when the volatility decreases.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Aaron, there is no constitutional right to abortion. It was a twisted legal ruling that very well may not survive another generation. Never mind inconvenient realities like the founder of Planned Parenthood being a racist eugenicist who wanted to lower the black population. It doesn't matter that I'm a man that I have strong opinions on abortion, it matters because directly murdering humans for selfish reasons is objectively evil. And spare me any of the boring leftist tripe like the use of fossil fuels makes me a global scale murderer and that kind of blah, blah, blah.

And yes, I agree that it shouldn't be executive policies and courts that fill in gaps left by the legislative branch. Both sides need to be willing to compromise a certain amount, but politics is polarizing. There are fringe elements on each side that demand things the other side will never agree to, ie. banning abortions under ALL circumstances (even rape or critical physical health complications in the mother) or open borders.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

raynebc you want to talk constitutional? Women have the right to physical autonomy. Until the umbilical cord is severed, that baby is the physical extension of the mother, and as such, only she would have the decision or say as to whether or not and what she decides to do with her own body.

You know why people are coming to the US in droves? Because of HOPE for a BETTER LIFE. Most of them are fleeing murder, rape, and risking both to get here or cross the border.

WTF ever happened to this America? :

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

WTF ever happened to this America?

It still exists. Immigrants are still welcome to enter the nation legally. This has always been the case, and under the last three presidents they have all talked about the need to crack down on ILLEGAL immigrants. And there are LEGAL immigrants that entered LEGALLY that support Trump on this, just as they probably supported Obama when Obama spoke out against Illegals, or Bush, or Bill Clinton. They are all on record speaking out against illegals. NONE of them, including Trump has a problem with LEGAL immigrants and he has said so. Heck, Trump's wife is a legal immigrant.

Quit swallowing the leftist propaganda and do some research on it.

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

jmasterx said:

I moved all my shares of DOW to a high interest savings account a month ago #sheltered

Most of my money is in an HYSA, too. I was making like 2.69% a few months ago, but now it's down to ~1.37% with all the damned cuts.

Go to: