Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

A beautiful image of a future that i hope.

{"name":"248637.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/e\/5e88058418d3575e5ff7323245b9019b.jpg","w":1920,"h":1200,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/e\/5e88058418d3575e5ff7323245b9019b"}248637.jpg

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Is that from the subreddit where dragons bang cars?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil Roy said:

{"name":"48065ff21a23581a7682fe8e3d7b10b4.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/8\/48065ff21a23581a7682fe8e3d7b10b4.jpg","w":512,"h":512,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/8\/48065ff21a23581a7682fe8e3d7b10b4"}48065ff21a23581a7682fe8e3d7b10b4.jpg

Nice Santa Beard!!!!!111111 OMG!

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Guys, I need a new keyboard. What do you suggest?

I've been rocking a simple Logitech K120 for about four years now, and I've nearly beaten it to death. Most of the keys on the left-side of the board are difficult to press now (especially CTRL). I've removed the caps to clean them a few times, but they're pretty worn-out and rigid underneath. I may just replace it with another K120, but I'm curious to know what others are using.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I suggest a keyboard with keys on it.

There are all these people who are all about "gamer" keyboards, and mechanical keyboards. As if going CLACK CLACK CLACK and waking up your wife at night every time you try to type is a good thing. I'd rather get laid than have a mechanical keyboard.

And don't get me started on the LIT keyboards. Don't get me wrong, I "get it" what it's like to be a 14-year old kid and think "computer lighting" is somehow cool. But if it's not a laptop (and hence non-standard layout) why the heck would I ever need to LOOK at a keyboard? The entire purpose of a keyboard is to "get out of your way" not become the FOCUS. If I'm watching a movie in my office the last thing I want is a freakin' flashing blue light bar distracting me from the actual quality color depth of my screen. Anyone with a large, glossy screen knows how easy it is for annoying reflections to show up.

I game 30+ hours a week some weeks. You know what I use? An old Dell keyboard stolen from a dead work machine with a broken hinge so it has to be propped up with a plastic case of LEDs under it.

There ARE actual things to consider. Make sure it has the standard keyboard layout, make sure it has normal depth to the keys (none of that chiclet keyboard crap) for real tactile feedback. Wireless keyboards work fine and last for months or longer on 2 AA batteries.

I typically just buy a logitech or similar brand keyboard.

As for mice? There ARE definitely differences. But I bought a "pro" "gamer" mouse with adjustible DPI and removable weights. It was annoying as hell. Why would I want my mouse to be HEAVIER? Nowadays I play on a $16 chinese off-brand "Jellycomb"-brand USB mouse that's normal shaped instead of that big, bulky hand forming type that everyone seems to like. The DPI buttons are more annoying than useful. But I like being able to get a high DPI mouse, "dial it in" and leave it. In 4K, mouse precision becomes a real, new, issue because if the sensor isn't good enough, you either have "coarse" movement (to move the whole screen area) but can't precisely click anything, or you have "fine" movement and have to keep picking up the mouse and moving it over and over. So after getting a 4K screen, I realize now that a high DPI mouse is a requirement for it.

However, I will definitely say that buying "wireless keyboard + mouse" combos, some of those mice REALLY suck. Either they're not comfortable, or they have HORRIFIC repeatability in their DPI/measurements which makes gaming either sluggish or random. You have no idea how terrible it can be until you get one of those mice. When the same movement of your hand doesn't translate to a predictable mouse movement--it'll drive you crazy. And that was a brand name Logitech too.

Top-tier keyboards are like those "top-tier" $500 motherboards that have plastic covering all their components because... you know... plastic makes it... faster or something. It's just people who want to spend extra money on something because they think it makes them better. Bragging rights.

Check out this mobo. I'm sure it "plugs your videocard and RAM in" way better than a $50 motherboard.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-x570-aorus-xtreme/p/N82E16813145158?item=N82E16813145158&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-motherboards+-+amd-_-N82E16813145158&gclid=CjwKCAiAjrXxBRAPEiwAiM3DQvNcbzIi4Qfm9y-xRsp9AIgWb0koNk0i4xMjOCf9U9vgjiylJ1HotRoCfEwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

(They do have more features than a cheapo motherboard. But 99% of the same functionality comes with the bargin motherboard. That last 1% costs you... $600.)

They literally brag that this motherboard can "fast charge cellphones."

Quote:

USB TurboCharger for Mobile Device Fast Charge Support

WOWIE! Just like my $15 Samsung wall charger. And that doesn't take up one of my computer's USB slots.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I don't care for lights on any of my hardware. That stuff looks gaudy and gross to me. I prefer minimal designs. Also, a wired keyboard is just fine by me (that's what I've been using for the past four years without issue). I'd prefer something with a shallower actuation depth though, and I don't care to change my mouse at this time (still using some old wired Logitech mouse just fine). Sometimes I press a key but don't hit it hard enough to register the input, which trips me up. So a keyboard with shallower keys or just a shallower depth before it registers would be nice.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I always bought cheaper keyboards, but I was given a Razor keyboard and mouse a while back, the type with the programmable coloured lights and I love it. Not just for the lighting, which is kewl, but because the keyboard itself seems to be better quality and will last me longer than the ones I have purchased in the past. Definitely worth paying more for and when this goes, I will probably pay more for one in the future.

I like my keyboard and mouse wired as well. Like Eric, I could do without the lights, the wrong light pattern can make it harder to read my keys, so I stick to something that looks okay, not too fancy and keeps my keys visible. These days I can type without really looking at the keys anymore, so it's less of an issue.

It's the only "Razor" I will use. ;)

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

What are these strange idents on my keyboard?!? :o I can feel them in the dark!

{"name":"wZmUJ.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/8\/4822fba1d4020d1d0e3631802437d8ed.jpg","w":2074,"h":1549,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/8\/4822fba1d4020d1d0e3631802437d8ed"}wZmUJ.jpg

-----sig:

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Those are the keyboard's nipples.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Guys, I need a new keyboard. What do you suggest?

I've been rocking a simple Logitech K120 for about four years now, and I've nearly beaten it to death. Most of the keys on the left-side of the board are difficult to press now (especially CTRL). I've removed the caps to clean them a few times, but they're pretty worn-out and rigid underneath. I may just replace it with another K120, but I'm curious to know what others are using.

My preference is a mechanical keyboard. Research mechanical key switches, decide which mechanism is most attractive, and see if you can find a keyboard in your budget that has them. I personally love them. The quality feels way better, and for people that spend most of their lives on their keyboard I think that it's worthwhile to spend a few pennies more to have something special.

DAS KEYBOARD makes a quality keyboard. They're not cheap, but they're nice. Logitech has some reasonable keyboards too, either mechanical or gaming (or maybe both). For the most part "gaming" keyboards are just superficially flashy. I never made use of any of the extra programmable keys on mine. That said, I did enjoy just having a large keyboard, and backlit keys have their uses (see below).

You can also go the old school route and try to track down an old IBM keyboard with mechanical switches. I've heard some people that prefer those. I think that's largely nostalgia though and you may not be quite old enough to care. I think they're cool, but I don't think I cared for their price point compared with something modern and still mechanical. There are plenty of options though... You do get what you pay for in terms of quality, though a dirt cheap keyboard is still adequate and can last a lifetime... If money is tight there's nothing wrong with buying a $20 wired keyboard with your preferred layout. It'll get the job done just fine. It just may not inspire as much joy/pride/confidence as a pricier and higher quality keyboard might.

There are all these people who are all about "gamer" keyboards, and mechanical keyboards. As if going CLACK CLACK CLACK and waking up your wife at night every time you try to type is a good thing. I'd rather get laid than have a mechanical keyboard.

There are mechanical key switches that are nearly silent. They don't have to be loud. It's less about the noise and more about the feel, though if you're in a situation where being loud is tolerable then it's cool to hear the clickety-clackety of a noisy mechanical keyboard in the hands of somebody with a rapid rate of speed.

I have a DAS KEYBOARD 4 ULTIMATE with blue cherry MX switches. It's a noisy version. I've had it for years. Since before I met my now wife. It may have bothered her slightly in the first ~month of her moving in in our tiny studio apartment, but it didn't seem to be a big deal. Now that we have a decent sized house I'm not even sure if she can hear me typing in this room with the door closed (though if anybody can she could because he has super-senses it seems..).

And don't get me started on the LIT keyboards. Don't get me wrong, I "get it" what it's like to be a 14-year old kid and think "computer lighting" is somehow cool. But if it's not a laptop (and hence non-standard layout) why the heck would I ever need to LOOK at a keyboard? The entire purpose of a keyboard is to "get out of your way" not become the FOCUS. If I'm watching a movie in my office the last thing I want is a freakin' flashing blue light bar distracting me from the actual quality color depth of my screen.

My current keyboard is unlit and the keys aren't even labelled. I can touch-type reasonably fast without any issues. This is my career, and I'm good at it. That said, prior to this keyboard I did have backlit keys and I have to say you're missing the point a little bit. A good keyboard should allow you to choose the colour of the keys, and many are programmable so that different sections/keys can be different colours, or perhaps that the colour can change automatically depending on what applications you're running or what time of day. I would suggest red to be a good colour to use. It's less disruptive to sleepy eyes. Mine used to be red IIRC. And I loved it. Where it really comes in handy is when you're in the dark, obviously, and you're either heavily intoxicated or one of your hands is "occupied" AKA masturbating. For that purpose having backlit keys is a godsend. I would generally agree that it's a useless feature for everyday use though.

Anyone with a large, glossy screen knows how easy it is for annoying reflections to show up.

Instead of criticizing the keyboard perhaps you should criticize the screen. :P

I game 30+ hours a week some weeks. You know what I use? An old Dell keyboard stolen from a dead work machine with a broken hinge so it has to be propped up with a plastic case of LEDs under it.

My previous employer was too cheap for a keyboard so I brought in my old backlit keyboard (a Logitech G110). One of the legs broke off of it so for the past ~2 - 3 years I had been propping it up with a plastic cover/shield for either a USB or HDMI connector. :P Whatever works. My current keyboard at work is garbage, but that G110 is badly in need of sanitation. I think this new company will replace this junk keyboard with a good one, but I'm holding out to make myself useful and also holding out to hopefully convince them to go "big" (like a DAS KEYBOARD) instead of rushing it and getting something sourced locally.

There ARE actual things to consider. Make sure it has the standard keyboard layout, make sure it has normal depth to the keys (none of that chiclet keyboard crap) for real tactile feedback. Wireless keyboards work fine and last for months or longer on 2 AA batteries.

I agree on the standard US keyboard layout, at least if your only human language is English. Keystroke depth is more of a matter of preference I think. I personally prefer a longer depth. This puts me more in control. And sure it can require a bit more effort, but it doesn't really become a problem until you're exhausted. Let's be real here, many of us don't get enough exercise as it is. I don't think we need to be lazy with our fingers too. I say no to wireless peripherals though. There's just no valid point. For keyboards, sure, the battery will last a while, but if the batteries die in the middle of a competitive match of Counter-Strike you're going to put it through a fucking wall trying to find new batteries. I know because I've nearly been there. Wireless mice are an even worse idea, at least for desktops or laptops that are normally stationary, because their batteries last a much shorter period of time, and it's even more frustrating when the mouse starts to glitch because of a low battery. Neither cable is normally prohibitive. Just get wired peripherals and save yourself the hassle (and environmental impact) of batteries.

I typically just buy a logitech or similar brand keyboard.

Logitech is a solid brand to go with. They have something for all price points. I don't know of any company that makes better mice, at least at a reasonable price, personally. That said, they seemingly have abandoned quality mice for something that needs to be replaced more often. I am not at all impressed with any current mice models available. My preference is to try to find a G9 or G9X used, but they're expensive as fuck and their lifetime is questionable at this point... I don't know why Logitech stopped making quality mice.

That said, if you want a really good keyboard I do suggest considering something more premium than logitech. There are several solid "gaming" or mechanical keyboards available from Logitech that are awesome, and not too expensive either. They're worth it. They're good quality. Though if you use a keyboard all day every day then I suggest you treat yourself to something fancy. If you can touch-type without looking at the keys then get yourself an unlabelled keyboard. It is intimidating/respectable to newbies, and just something for yourself to take pride in. There's also the chance that lacking the labels will further improve your own ability to not look at the keys. That said, I can say from experience that you can still look at the keys and figure them out if you know the layout by heart. For those "one-handed" moments I can still figure out which key is which by looking at it.

As for mice? There ARE definitely differences. But I bought a "pro" "gamer" mouse with adjustible DPI and removable weights. It was annoying as hell. Why would I want my mouse to be HEAVIER?

There seems to be some back and forth with weighted mice these days. Personally, I adopted the G9 and haven't gone back since. I love it. In my opinion the added weight improves your accuracy. Whereas a super lightweight mouse is harder to feel, the weighted mouse resists your movement ever so slightly that it actually gives you better control, at least in my experience. We're talking grams. Not pounds. The difference is negligible, but the added weight is just enough to give you additional feedback without becoming a chore.

The DPI buttons are more annoying than useful. But I like being able to get a high DPI mouse, "dial it in" and leave it.

On my G9 and G9X the DPI buttons just became a habit for me. I never adjust the DPI, but I formed a habit of constantly clicking the "DPI up" button to ensure my highest DPI setting was selected all the time. In the beginning I think I would accidentally hit the "down" button, and so I got into the habit of hitting "up" when I was idle to ensure I was set to a consistent setting. And over time it became away to cope with stress in game. It's now one of my death rituals.

Append:

I also want to point out that one feature that I really love about keyboards is having dedicated "multimedia keys". In particular, volume and mute keys are very handy for instantly muting "vulnerable" sounds when you aren't anticipating them or something. For example, if you awaken your computer and it instantly starts playing a video you forgot you were watching, or if it starts blasting music while you're talking to somebody... It's a joy to be able to quickly silence it or adjust the volume without having to login and find an icon with the mouse... Bonus points for an analog volume nob.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

Instead of criticizing the keyboard perhaps you should criticize the screen. :P

You can't replace physics. ::) A glossy screen is simply one without a matte finish. A matte finish is a bunch of tiny bumps that break up reflections... and send your color depth to complete piss.

-----sig:

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

We use Apple Mac keyboards at work. 8-)

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I bought the cheapest mechanical keyboard I could find: the Redragon K552-N. It's my first mechanical keyboard, and it's O.K. I'm not blown away by it or anything, but it works. I like the clicking sound, but it's a bit loud at times. The gram-force is lighter than my past keyboard, and the height is different, both of which will require some time to adjust to.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Your eyes:
{"name":"day1-670x397.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/2\/b231d6e4e376e5c55e45a5522c289816.jpg","w":670,"h":397,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/2\/b231d6e4e376e5c55e45a5522c289816"}day1-670x397.jpg

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

{"name":"i_am_locutus_of_borg_by_trotsky17-d5fjy65.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/6\/76d6e055f3eff5e9bfa4cca84d7ab723.jpg","w":600,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/6\/76d6e055f3eff5e9bfa4cca84d7ab723"}i_am_locutus_of_borg_by_trotsky17-d5fjy65.jpg

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Did locutus ... type with his eyes?

Also, I've heard the new Star Trek Picard is "Woke Trek" and far worse... boring. "Grey's Anatomy in Space"... full of characters just yelling at each other over silly drama. "Gratuitous amounts of swearing" (which normally I don't care, but if it's out-of-place it's annoying would be bad.)

You can tell it's definitely bombing so far because... a BRAND NEW star trek came out and we had tons of hype BEFORE it came out and all a sudden... nothing. Nobody is talking about it.

They even started posting it online on YouTube for free because nobody signed up for their crappy service to watch it.

And I say all of this as someone who LOVES Star Trek, and Patrick Stewart and wanted a great show.

I have the episodes... but I'm not watching them yet. I can't decide whether I want to punch myself in the balls or not.

-----sig:

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

At the time I type this, something is causing Allegro.cc to run REALLY slow.

41 seconds to generate just this page (and another topic)

Did Matthew put the server on a potato?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

The new Star Trek series is pretty good so far, I have no big complaints about it. I still think it's better than a fully retconned show like Discovery, but The Orville is still more enjoyable to me overall.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Orville is great. First season was funnier (I liked) and more like Star Trek. Second season tried to be more dramatic and character driven which kinda worked. I hope the best for them.

Star Trek Discovery ... STD. Like... come on guys. Try a little harder.

Also, they turned Klingons from an amazing race... into ... space africans. ... who are also trump voters. Like seriously, wtf. Not to mention they're also super ignorant...

how is this not offensive?

{"name":"ggllafevyh3pbmzhapjx.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/c\/ec25019757e398ccc0a667594013c4ce.png","w":1200,"h":675,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/c\/ec25019757e398ccc0a667594013c4ce"}ggllafevyh3pbmzhapjx.png

LOOK AT THE FREAKIN' FLARED NOSTRILS... and the huge lips. It's like they took what a white supremacist cartoonist would draw a black person and said 'yep, sounds good.'

This is apparently how "woke" white people view black people. As caricatures.

And if you're thinking "they don't look African... maybe", let's see how they made Black Panther's tribes clothes look:

{"name":"black-panther.jpeg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/8\/b891f29591133445b1c5ffab72642fa9.jpg","w":599,"h":316,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/8\/b891f29591133445b1c5ffab72642fa9"}black-panther.jpeg

There are rival tribes in black panther with different, but similar clothing.

-----sig:

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

A guilty white man avoids conviction by the functional equivalent of jury nullification, nothing new to see. ???

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

A partisan effort to overthrow an elected president failed.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Those are the keyboard's nipples.

I burst out laughing at that, nice one. ;D

As for what those are for, they are intended for typists so you can feel where the keys are. On typewriters in the past, and keyboards now, typists held their hands so that the index finger of each hand rests on those keys where the bumps are. I remember learning that in a typing class in school, back when typewriters were still a thing.

Personally, I think that "proper" way of typing will wreck your tendons over time but to each his own.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

NiteHackr said:

As for what those are for, they are intended for typists so you can feel where the keys are. On typewriters in the past, and keyboards now, typists held their hands so that the index finger of each hand rests on those keys where the bumps are. I remember learning that in a typing class in school, back when typewriters were still a thing.

Personally, I think that "proper" way of typing will wreck your tendons over time but to each his own.

I knew what those were for, but thanks for the history lesson. :) I was never taught to type, but over the years I've developed my own style which is more than fast enough. On 10fastfingers.com, my average is 115 WPM. Sometimes I dip into the 120s, but that's not common.

Go to: