Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Largely, the "OK, Boomer" phrase is used by dumb children.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Your boomer is showing!

If you seriously have that much emotional investment in a flippant, meme-like term that has the same offensive capacity as the phrase 'oh, bless your heart,' the problem isn't the people calling you a boomer.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

I don't really care as much as you seem to, but you go ahead and have fun with it.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I call myself a faggot, calling me homo isn't offensive to me and just makes you look like a bigot.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

So we're agreed that "Ok boomer" is for bigots? Cool.

That, or Fox News should start using "ok blackie" next time a black person says something they don't like.

-----sig:
β€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

It's not calling someone "boomer" that is offensive. It's the attitude with the saying. 20 years ago is was "whatever".

"I'm telling you something important or means something to me."
"Whatever!"

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

You peeps make the biggest assumptions about me. I've never been happier in my life.

---
they / she

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

"OK, boomer" is meant to dismiss ignorance. For example, when people argue that climate change is a hoax, or that it isn't caused by human activity, despite overwhelming consensus that it is real and caused by human activity from the scientific community that study climate.

People like that vote for the worst world leaders. The ones that are taking care of corporate interests on the backs of the working class. Cuts to critical services in the health and education sectors. Tax breaks for billion dollar corporations.

Unfortunately, people are stupid, and they love to hear what they want to hear, and they always stop paying attention after the election is over. It's very frustrating to come to a discussion with logic, reason, and evidence; and have people refuse to listen because their mind is already set.

It comes as no surprise that this same group has a large overlap with the religious population. They're able to believe in outrageous things, and they don't do their homework to verify if their beliefs are reasonable. All it takes is a man in a suit with a commanding voice telling them what the truth is and that's good enough.

There are a lot of stupid liberals in the world, but there at least an equal number of stupid conservatives. And there are intelligent people in both camps. The intelligent conservatives tend to be very wealthy. They stand to benefit most from conservative power.

The Internet empowers everybody to say whatever they want and so nothing stops an ignorant person from using "OK, boomer!" against an informed person. Ultimately all that it signifies is that the other person either doesn't believe you're capable of having a debate, doesn't get what the phrase means, or is trolling you. You can safely ignore them because you won't likely get anywhere regardless. Though if somebody is saying it to you then you should take a second to reconsider their position, and consider whether you're open to changing your mind or not if presented with conflicting evidence. We should all do this all the time, but obviously some are more open to it than others...

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

That's an annoying complaint progressives overuse. The less people pay in taxes, the less of a tax break they can receive. It's not rocket science.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

how to public videos in A.c??? How???? How How How How How How How How How ?????? HOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? >:(

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

raynebc said:

Largely, the "OK, Boomer" phrase is used by dumb children.

Stupid, ignorant, disrespectful, selfish, spoiled children. Not that I am surprised.

Say it to my face and you would find out just how much this "boomer" can boom. But that's the problem these days, they all hide behind the internet where they can safely insult and disrespect people without consequences.

---
β€œI love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Matthew! The peasants are causing a revolt!

{"name":"maxresdefault.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/40aaec909324ccf857a8c53fcb955e45.jpg","w":1280,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/40aaec909324ccf857a8c53fcb955e45"}maxresdefault.jpg

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

RmBeer2 said:

how to public videos in A.c??? How???? How How How How How How How How How ?????? HOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? >:(

Edgar already answered that for you...

@RmBeer2

[video url here]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I think that it only supports YouTube links, and it only supports the legacy/long form of the URL. For example:

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id]

It will not work with the shorter form: https://youtu.be/id.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

bamccaig said:

Talk about childish. SMRT. Hit me and I'd file charges against you.

I would love to test that out.

{"name":"612225","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/5\/e58de2c2c442a7a580f569269ee73c35.gif","w":480,"h":326,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/5\/e58de2c2c442a7a580f569269ee73c35"}612225

---
β€œI love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

---
they / she

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

On a much lesser scale, it's still being used as a derogatory term. Like "n*gger" or "cr*cker".

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's not anything like the N word. The N word is not just derogatory. It is dehumanizing. It represents hate, oppression, and genocide. It represents a time and place in history where black people were considered less than human by society, from the people to the government to the law of the land. It cannot be compared to anything else.

Cracker is like a butter knife. It isn't even sharp enough to cut paper. Nobody should ever be offended by it. I don't even know why you censored it. :):D;D That's fucking hilarious.

"OK, boomer" is very much like cracker in that sense. If it hurts to be called it then you must be very weak. I guess the real snowflakes are finally standing up. ;D

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

There are some weak minded people on the forum, I didn't want to risk anger by censoring one slur and not another. Nobody here said "boomer" was as offensive as n*gger, but that doesn't disprove that it is being used as an insult.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

What's insulting is asserting that climate change is a hoax, that cutting critical services could ever reduce the deficit, or that guns save more lives than they take.

Being a baby boomer isn't insulting (other than maybe being old, if you're sensitive about that, but there's nothing wrong with being old either). "Boomer" is used to discard stupid baseless arguments.

There are much more effective ways to be insulting if that was their goal. They're being tactful instead in dealing with cockroaches. I don't think there's any way to be MORE tactful than that given the situation.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

What's insulting is when politicians and activists pretend to be fighting climate change when that is actually just an excuse for them to implement big government policies. Climate change is not a crisis to be hysterical over, but it is a reality that people will have to adapt to gradually over time. The collective governments of the world don't have the will or concern to immediately cease all carbon fuel use, and even if they were, prominent greenies will say we can't use nuclear energy either because it's not as pure in their eyes as vastly less efficient and more land-consuming solar and wind technologies (whose use also has negative environmental impacts).

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

{"name":"612229","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/e\/0e9a3c24e8281db3431239590f4d3cf5.png","w":1331,"h":633,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/e\/0e9a3c24e8281db3431239590f4d3cf5"}612229

In a year there's gonna be tens of thousands of plays with a total playtime exceeding hundred of thousands of hours. 8-)

---
they / she

Go to: