Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I think it's hilarious that Canada re-elected a guy who wore blackface... that we KNOW of... at LEAST three times.

Like, that's near making fun of America for re-electing Bush.

What's the next PM gonna be, an ex-Klan wizard with a 1d4+3 staff? (fun fact, a prominent leader of the Democratic Party in the USA, and Hillary's close mentor... used to be a Klan wizard. Apparently, no crime is too evil if you're useful to the party now. I'd dare anyone to argue that anyone of us could have a blackface or KKK association keep our jobs. And before you think 'omg that's probably fake news', no, it's real.)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

The trick is to be in a picture with one person in blackface and one person in a KKK costume, but not specify which one is you. Instant immunity.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Also, hilariously, after the blackface incident, Trudeau changed his twitter photo to him hanging out with a black guy. That actually happened. (TM)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/justin-trudeau-blackface-racism-twitter-profile-canada-election-a9116911.html

raynebc said:

The trick is to be in a picture with one person in blackface and one person in a KKK costume, but not specify which one is you. Instant immunity.

;D

{"name":"trudeau-twitter2.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/c\/fc4123e1fc0d85e65b882905eae93caa.jpg","w":660,"h":495,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/c\/fc4123e1fc0d85e65b882905eae93caa"}trudeau-twitter2.jpg

I can't tell which one is Trudeau! All I see is two black guys. ???

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Honestly I had never even heard of "blackface" until Trudeau's scandal. What I decided from it is that given the people posing with him in the pictures it appears that it was socially acceptable at the time and place. He dressed up that way in a goddamn private high school social event, and presumably everybody in attendance saw no problem with it at the time (or those that did didn't speak up at the time). There even appears to be some people of colour in the photos with him smiling and showing no signs of offense. It's possible people of colour felt uncomfortable with it at the time, but if they didn't make it known I think it's easy to see how a white man coming from privilege might not realize he was even doing anything wrong. It's also worth noting that those in attendance were likely well off given that it was a private school. Those photos are like 18 years old which would make him 29 or 30 at the time. Still young enough to make mistakes I figure. I know I'm still making them at 33.

I think that what Canadians did by re-electing him was smart. They didn't let scandal and slander decide the election. They did what was right instead. The only other practical option was Andrew Scheer and the Progressive Conservatives, and he is as crooked as they come and the PC party was so bad last time that Canadians nationwide coordinated their votes to oust them in key ridings. The PC's are really good at lying to your face with a smile. They remind me of American politicians. When I first started getting into politics I voted PC because I was impressed with how Stephen Harper presented himself. And shortly thereafter I discovered the horrors of my mistake. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Trudeau is far from perfect. He's still a fuckton more intelligent than Bush Jr. :P He has done a lot of things that I don't support, such as purchasing a failing pipeline with taxpayer dollars. We need fewer pipelines, not more. The only good thing that he did that I can think of was legalize cannabis. That said, I am confident that the Conservatives would have done far more harm. At least this time around it is a minority government and so they aren't as powerful. We can only hope that we get the electoral reform that we need this time around.

I was very pleased with the result. I don't think Canada could have gotten any better result. I personally voted Green, knowing they had no chance in Hell, but also knowing that my vote wasn't going to practically make a difference no matter what I did. The Greens achieved more than 1 million votes this election, which worked out to about 6.5% of the vote. We are growing fast, and each and every term where the Liberals and Conservatives continue to give tax breaks to the wealthy while cutting services or harming our environment just pushes more and more people towards us. What I really would love to see is Elizabeth May as Prime Minister. She would do the most amazing job anybody ever could. It's a real shame that she may not get the chance before she burns out.

Append:

I also stumbled across this article while briefly researching the photos: https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2019/09/19/who-objected-to-trudeaus-blackface.html. It's possible that was just paid for propaganda from the Liberal party, but I think that it is a reasonable write-up.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

{"name":"612192","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5ac26a0f69dd406f45496fc7c58b6b30.jpg","w":1080,"h":1080,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5ac26a0f69dd406f45496fc7c58b6b30"}612192

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

Well, and tourists, but I doubt November is tourist season anywhere in Canada...

Isn't it Ski season?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

NiteHackr said:

5ac26a0f69dd406f45496fc7c58b6b30-240.jpg

I imagine if your childhood fantasies of an afterlife were true Orwell would be rolling in his grave having his wisdom twisted into such an unflattering form.

LennyLen said:

Isn't it Ski season?

That may be a little premature... There's about 6 inches of snow on the ground, but I don't think that's enough to cover the jagged rocks in the mountains. :P

Our local ski resort announced that they've begun making artificial snow (to speed up the process), but they haven't determined an opening date yet.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Only one month before the decade ends. Do you realize that we've gone almost an entire decade without direction from allegro.cc's benevolent dictator?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

40 pages worth of gold, and now we degenerate into Canadian politics sheesh I guess we really have talked about everything now.....

{"name":"4af416185de7967bddb73f036dec97ac--th-birthday-cards-birthday-wishes.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/b\/9b58a0b50456c56d87848518c5a06c7e.jpg","w":736,"h":997,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/b\/9b58a0b50456c56d87848518c5a06c7e"}4af416185de7967bddb73f036dec97ac--th-birthday-cards-birthday-wishes.jpg

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Canadian politics sheesh I guess we really have talked about everything now.....

Get out of you're Amero-centric bubble maannn... ;)

-----sig:

Abi-12
Member #17,145
November 2019

I wasn't offended by the whole Trudeau blackface thing. It's very easy to blowup something from 15-20 years ago without taking into account that it was a very different time ( culture/ethics/sensitivity wise ).

If he apologized/regrets it. Why is it such a huge deal? Do you really think he's racist?

no tldrs pls.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I've been working at a gas station for about six months now, and it makes me very worried for humanity.

Pretty much every day we get someone who either doesn't know how to open their fuel flap or who doesn't know what type of fuel their car needs, and once every couple of weeks or so, we get people who put diesel in their petrol engine (or vice versa) because they weren't paying attention to what they're doing.

These same people are legally allowed to drive one and a half tons worth of steel at 100 kph. It's damned scary.

And then we had a guy this week who deliberately put diesel into his petrol car because it's cheaper and he wanted to save money.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

... I have no words...

I don't know what I did to have Google put these stories on my news feed, but there are a lot of videos of people who seem to have something against electric cars. At some point, you would think people would learn that Telsas have built-in cameras that record stuff so they can't get away with stuff as much.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

{"name":"barco-hunde-cozumel-696x443.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/1\/316b3a076ccd6314e545e6f481a404c7.jpg","w":696,"h":443,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/1\/316b3a076ccd6314e545e6f481a404c7"}barco-hunde-cozumel-696x443.jpg

A.cc in the depth, but with dignity... :'(

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

{"name":"images","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/a\/7a77bd2b76dd8258a2f5d36f28034354.jpg","w":287,"h":175,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/a\/7a77bd2b76dd8258a2f5d36f28034354"}images

Wait, is that piccolo's boat?

Too soon?

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Something a little less controversial for a change...

{"name":"612214","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/6\/36d2569df7f49bd7b1558494eae9e8ee.jpg","w":1049,"h":960,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/6\/36d2569df7f49bd7b1558494eae9e8ee"}612214

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Abi-12 said:

I wasn't offended by the whole Trudeau blackface thing. It's very easy to blowup something from 15-20 years ago without taking into account that it was a very different time ( culture/ethics/sensitivity wise ).

If he apologized/regrets it. Why is it such a huge deal? Do you really think he's racist?

The answer is simple. If any one of US did the same thing, would we have a job tomorrow? Would people be calling YOU racist? Yes.

So the only thing we're left with is, apparently, it's morally okay to do morally bad things, as long as we have something to gain politically from you.

Which is possible. Maybe the only way to do politics. But it's still dark and alarming. Because where's the line then?

If Trudeau raped some kids, is he still above morality? Probably not (we HOPE). But blackface... in >>TWO THOUSAND AND ONE<<. I'm sorry, but nobody had to tell me not to wear BLACKFACE when I was in highschool in 2001. Let alone THREE TIMES.

-----sig:

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Personally, I'm much more scared of people who wear white face :o

{"name":"clown-greek-whiteface-clown-rudy-llatge.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/c\/7c0cabf4a1593c2c76ea4e661139cd9d.jpg","w":243,"h":290,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/c\/7c0cabf4a1593c2c76ea4e661139cd9d"}clown-greek-whiteface-clown-rudy-llatge.jpg

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

NiteHackr said:

Something a little less controversial for a change...

36d2569df7f49bd7b1558494eae9e8ee-240.jpg

My wife and I just bought our first house, and this weekend we had run out for some errands, and on our way back we had just pulled onto our street when my wife exclaims, "What is that?!" I look over towards the sidewalk, which is wrapped in 8 inch snowbanks, and see some small animal keeping up with our truck that keeps bounding up and down as it runs along the sidewalk. My wife says, "Is that a bunny!?" Indeed it was, friends. Indeed it was.

My wife had previously seen mysterious 3-legged tracks in the snow around our house, and initially thought maybe somebody had a dog with a missing leg. Turns out it was probably a rabbit, and its hind legs were just held together as it hopped along. The little guy looked tiny. I'm no expert on rabbits, but I suspect it was still young. It almost seemed to know where it was going through. When it came upon a road it changed directions and hopped up the road as we passed. It gave me a strong urge to anthropomorphize it, and I began to imagine a children's storybook centring on a young talking rabbit.

Last night, while stoned, I realized that my cat was looking out the window, and we had noticed him getting excited a few times before while doing so, but we weren't sure what he was seeing. I realized that he has probably seen a rabbit, and so then I started to imagine writing a children's storybook about a talking rabbit and cat that became unlikely friends. :P

The answer is simple. If any one of US did the same thing, would we have a job tomorrow? Would people be calling YOU racist? Yes.

I think that it's completely toxic for people to lose their job over things they did in the past that are not even illegal[1], just socially unacceptable. I do not encourage this level of thinking. A person should not have to fear losing their livelihood because of social justice warriors. It makes no sense. Is this person supposed to die for their "crime"? Are they expected to live off of government/taxpayer handouts? Are they expected to be homeless for their crimes?

If we ultimately want these people to continue to care for themselves instead of making them a burden on the taxpayers (whether by social assistance or by law enforcement having to cope with the inevitable thefts and robberies or by jailing them) then it makes sense to leave their job alone and let their lives continue. In fact, I believe governments should protect your job in this scenario so that your employer cannot wrongfully terminate you just because they disagree with your ideas (or past actions). The extent of the "damage" that can be done for something like this should be that individuals may choose to exile you and stop associating with you (e.g., friends and in extreme cases family). Even so I'd argue that more would be accomplished through dialogue than through harsh social sentences (which can themselves lead to costs on taxpayers as a result of inevitable antisocial behaviour after being forced out of society).

So the only thing we're left with is, apparently, it's morally okay to do morally bad things, as long as we have something to gain politically from you.

Which is possible. Maybe the only way to do politics. But it's still dark and alarming. Because where's the line then?

If Trudeau raped some kids, is he still above morality? Probably not (we HOPE). But blackface... in >>TWO THOUSAND AND ONE<<. I'm sorry, but nobody had to tell me not to wear BLACKFACE when I was in highschool in 2001. Let alone THREE TIMES.

I don't think that's true at all. I think that what you're forgetting is that Canada has a different relationship with race than America does. Slavery existed in Canada, but it wasn't anywhere near as widespread as it was in the USA. There were no plantations. No large slave work forces. And I don't think Canadians were quite so attached to the notion as in the Southern USA. It's different because of context.

Trudeau isn't above morality. At least, no more than any other powerful person. All wealthy and powerful people are somewhat above the law. They shouldn't be, but it's true that they are. Look at the crazy shit that Hollywood stars do and get away with. So much for the war on drugs; many of them make their drug use well known, but you don't see the DEA kicking in their doors or raiding their tour bus. And they barely even count as rich. The ultra-rich in our society (top 0.00001%) literally have no laws at all. They can do anything they want, whether that means murder or genocide, and there is nobody to stop them under our current system of worshipping money.

Personally, I'm much more scared of people who wear white face :o

{"name":"7c0cabf4a1593c2c76ea4e661139cd9d.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/c\/7c0cabf4a1593c2c76ea4e661139cd9d.jpg","w":243,"h":290,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/c\/7c0cabf4a1593c2c76ea4e661139cd9d"}7c0cabf4a1593c2c76ea4e661139cd9d.jpg

:o

References

1. And even things that are illegal. If you think about it, the only way for a criminal to clean up their act and start living a productive life is for them to get a decent job. Taking that away from them, or preventing them from getting it, because of mistakes they have made is just going to ensure that they're breaking the law and costing taxpayers more.
Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

bamccaig said:

I realized that he has probably seen a rabbit, and so then I started to imagine writing a children's storybook about a talking rabbit and cat that became unlikely friends.

I like it! How about an injured rabbit, a cat approaches and rather than attack it, it helps it and they grow to be great friends. I could see a good children's story coming out of this. :)

My wife and I were walking down the street one day and out of nowhere a baby squirrel ran up to me while I was standing still talking to my wife on the sidewalk, and it sat on my foot, as if it was scared and seeking comfort with me. It was such a sweet little thing, I hated to do it, but I scared him away from me because I didn't want it being that friendly to everyone as not everyone could be as kind. I only wish I had a camera at the time.

Found the following image the other day, if only this worked! ;)

{"name":"612216","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/f\/bf342b4921553869e5529a23c8f3909f.jpg","w":660,"h":680,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/f\/bf342b4921553869e5529a23c8f3909f"}612216

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

NiteHackr said:

I like it! How about an injured rabbit, a cat approaches and rather than attack it, it helps it and they grow to be great friends. I could see a good children's story coming out of this. :)

I was thinking more along the lines of the animals themselves are children or adolescents. My cat is actually pretty friendly. He doesn't often know what to do when other life forms come around. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he was friendly with a rabbit, though I also wouldn't be surprised if instincts kicked in and he tortured and/or killed it (but I think it would take him quite a lot of time to reach that point, and I think we'd either need to encourage it or we'd need to be out of sight so he could act without judgment).

I imagine the rabbit to be the protagonist or main character. A typically "cool" kid character, that loves to run around super fast, and always wanting to play. And the cat would just be a sort of side-kick or pal that he stumbles upon, and would occasionally be featured (but not always). Maybe the cat would play-hunt it, and then they end up becoming friends. The cat would imagine himself being a big bad killer, but is ultimately harmless and afraid to hurt anything. I don't know. The story would focus on the adventures of the rabbit though I think. The cat would be a character that exists in one part of the story world, but he would normally be confined to his family's house or whatever; whereas the rabbit is a stray/on the loose and can roam free.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

though I also wouldn't be surprised if instincts kicked in and he tortured

Cats aren't actually "playing" or "torturing" animals with the way they draw out killing them. They're wearing the other animal out so that it's not as much of a threat when the cat moves in close to deliver the killing blow.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

{"name":"I30Vfcu.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/f\/5f7f6ecca90e226266b4b4d8c2e614e5.png","w":698,"h":692,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/f\/5f7f6ecca90e226266b4b4d8c2e614e5"}I30Vfcu.png

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

{"name":"612217","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/f\/ef7f1ae821b4e9940afbb3f4c4f1aa56.jpg","w":720,"h":870,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/f\/ef7f1ae821b4e9940afbb3f4c4f1aa56"}612217
8-)

In other news, AMD has a an amazing new CPU that outperforms Intel's best, with 16 cores, 32 threads... all around an amazing CPU.

video

---

Go to: