Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Not all vapes are made the same. I only vape cannabis flower, and yes I do inhale. There should be no mystery chemicals here. There is just the cannabis flower (from licensed producers), air, and heat. It's essentially cooking cannabis, and inhaling the resulting steam. :P This method barely produces any vapour. It is not like snoop dogg where I'm filling the room with clouds. There is just a small bit of vapour on a long drag, and it dissipates quickly.

Often people mean e-liquid when they are talking about vaping. This is where they've essentially taken some carrier oils, maybe added some mind-altering chemical like nicotine or THC, and maybe added some flavouring to make the otherwise tasteless vapour more fun. I assume they must also use a specific chemical to make those huge vape clouds that you see possible. This is the one that is causing problems, but only recently and people have been doing this for years. It must just be some particular chemicals that unregulated producers have been mixing in either to cut costs or for some other purpose that is causing problems, and it's only really happening because the government isn't regulating the industry enough (if at all)...

Again, there is a slight risk any time you inhale anything foreign into your lungs. That said, compared to cigarette smoke this "vapour" you get from either type of device might as well be pure air. Cigarette smoke is more like sucking on a car's exhaust pipe. Vape clouds are more like opening the window of an airplane while you're flying through a cloud and inhaling that. :P

Even cannabis smoke isn't as bad as cigarette smoke. Cigarettes are made of some really bad shit. The worst part though is that cigarettes are extremely addictive, and over time people end up chain smoking one after another. Whereas weed lasts a while so unless you're Snoop Dogg or Willie Nelson you're probably only going to smoke or vape a little bit a day... Even so, Willie Nelson claims that his lungs are in great shape. There is even evidence that cannabis smoke can potentially help asthma sufferers, though I think it's some weak evidence, as any beneficial effects are likely overshadowed by more harmful effects. :) I think that it is known to help open up the lungs more, but I find that when I smoke cannabis my throat gets sore. When I vape it though I usually don't feel any discomfort (aside from an immediate cough when it first hits my lungs).

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

Again, there is a slight risk any time you inhale anything foreign into your lungs. That said, compared to cigarette smoke this "vapour" you get from either type of device might as well be pure air. Cigarette smoke is more like sucking on a car's exhaust pipe. Vape clouds are more like opening the window of an airplane while you're flying through a cloud and inhaling that. :P

At no point am I saying vaping is just as bad as cigarettes. I'm just saying the idea that there are NO complications is wrong. "I never had any problems!" doesn't mean nobody does.

Hell, Tylenol sends more old people to the hospital than any other drug and if you drink alcohol with it (or take too many pills) it literally destroys your liver.

Everything has side effects and they should be understood so people can make the best informed decision.

For example, my wife was pissed at me for awhile because I'd demand she wore her helmet with her bicycle. I was like "20 MPH on a bicycle is the same as 20 MPH on a motorcycle. It's still going to !@$!'ing hurt."

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

This is where they've essentially taken some carrier oils

The carrier in e-liquid is usually a mixture of Propylene Glycol, and Vegetable Gylcerine, neither of which is an oil (though VG is derived from vegetable oil) and neither of which breaks down into oils when heated. This is important to note because a lot of the misinformation about "vaping injuries" speak of build up of oil in the lungs (and often refer to eliquid as vape oil), but with e-liquid there is no oil.

Most THC liquids do contain oils however, even the good quality ones. Most people who have been admitted to hospital due to "vaping" have acknowledged that they were using THC products.

I'm just saying the idea that there are NO complications is wrong.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that. Anyone with half a brain should know that ideally, we should breathe nothing but pure air.

I'll repeat what I said earlier: "I wouldn't recommend vaping or smoking to anyone who is currently not doing either. But I would definitely recommend anyone who is a smoker to try vaping to see if it works for them (some smokers don't find vaping satisfying) as it is a far safer alternative."

Bumpity bump:

New news from the CDC states they've found Vitamin E acetate in every lung injury case they've tested so far.

In most of the cases, THC was also present. There were a few cases where THC wasn't present. There are two possibilities here:

1) They had been using THC products which caused the damage to the lungs, but stopped using THC long enough for it to no longer be detected and then regular vaping exacerbated the problem (vaping anything when you have damaged lungs is a BAD idea).

2) They were vaping regular e-liquid which had vitamin E acetate in it. This is particularly worrying as there is absolutely no reason to put it into e-liquid (it's added to THC products to make cheap, thin, cannabis oil thicker, so that it resembles good quality product). This is why the industry needs to be regulated, so that chemicals like this don't end up in e-liquid. Personally, I only buy e-liquid from two companies as I know people who work for them and I know what goes into their product. There's legislation in the works here in NZ, but it hasn't been passed into law yet.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

So on the topic of vaping...

Is it possible that someone can't have a hangover (within reason)? There's been nights I've had like upwards (but not quite) a dozen strong drinks in less than three hours and I wake up fine the next day.

It's not like I'm a spring chicken, I'm 27. Does the fact I started drinking less than a couple years ago matter? Does the fact that I have 1-2 glasses of water per drink matter?

Maybe I'm like Captain America and I metabolize alcohol insanely fast 8-)

IDK, I'm not a doctor. I'm just writing this after I went from being drunk to not even being tipsy over the span of a couple hours. Whatever.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Is it possible that someone can't have a hangover (within reason)? There's been nights I've had like upwards (but not quite) a dozen strong drinks in less than three hours and I wake up fine the next day.

Absolutely. Of course, you probably just done a whole lot of damage to your liver and other organs. I have seen several people in my life drop dead either suddenly, or over the period of a few months from alcohol related problems. Your liver will fail, your skin turns yellow, you can't think straight and within a couple months you're dead (I have seen this more than any other form of death), or another thing I have seen is someone who is perfectly fine, and suddenly one day they have a stroke and either instantly die, or within a day they are dead; my grandmother, who was a heavy drinker suddenly dropped dead from a stroke and just last week a friend of mine dropped dead from similar conditions.

Alcohol is very healthy for you, in moderation. Abuse it, and it's one of those things that probably won't show many signs of problems until it is too late.

{"name":"612186","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/5\/e5398dc193ceb6561f9bbb1d3dba4db8.jpg","w":507,"h":573,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/5\/e5398dc193ceb6561f9bbb1d3dba4db8"}612186

;D

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Whoops, I meant upwards of half a dozen. I'm not an idiot nor am I suicidal.

Last night I had something like 5 or 6 mixed drinks (e.g., long island, liquid marijauna). I don't think that's at alcohol poisoning territory.

I drink a couple times a month, I'm not worried about hurting my liver.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

{"name":"cnNallh.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/d\/8d008250445cc3a02ab21b029f44b2a6.png","w":501,"h":743,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/d\/8d008250445cc3a02ab21b029f44b2a6"}cnNallh.png

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

3 years old, 5 cm tall, and 40 lbs? What does that even look like. :o

And shame on you for giving your 3 year old alcohol! Don't you know they're only supposed to have at most Monster energy drinks?

---
they / she

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Aaron, you're messing with alcohol poisoning.

I don't know how I never managed to get alcohol poisoning back when I was drinking. In my twenties, I regularly drank a 2L bottle of bourbon in one night, which rupissed thinks should have killed me:

{"name":"612187","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/9\/890d3eb523b00d0559b5359384252623.png","w":511,"h":830,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/9\/890d3eb523b00d0559b5359384252623"}612187

I think my stomach doesn't absorb things very well, as whenever I have taken any other drugs that need to be ingested, I've always needed to take doses several times the size that other people do. I also have been taking vitamin pills for years as if I don't, I get deficiencies, even when I'm eating properly balanced meals. I'm guessing most of the alcohol I drink just passes through me without being absorbed.

I got stopped a couple of years ago driving home after drinking three beers in an hour, and their breathalyser wasn't working so I was taken for a blood test. My blood alcohol content was at 0.03, which is just over half the legal limit here. Going by rupissed, I should have had three times that amount in my blood:

{"name":"612188","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/5\/45916110c0ec0b275554b2b604c58c4f.png","w":509,"h":831,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/5\/45916110c0ec0b275554b2b604c58c4f"}612188

Is it possible that someone can't have a hangover (within reason)?

I didn't start get hangovers until I was in my mid-30s, and even then very rarely.

edit:

This thread is 15 posts away from 4000 posts!

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Those days is hot!! I HATE DRINK HOT WATER!!! IT'S TASTE LIKE A SHIT!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! X@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's not like I'm a spring chicken, I'm 27. Does the fact I started drinking less than a couple years ago matter? Does the fact that I have 1-2 glasses of water per drink matter?

Whoops, I meant upwards of half a dozen. I'm not an idiot nor am I suicidal.

Last night I had something like 5 or 6 mixed drinks (e.g., long island, liquid marijauna). I don't think that's at alcohol poisoning territory.

Drinking 1-2 glasses of water per drink is 100% keeping you hydrated and avoiding a hangover. Keep it up. :) That's smart.

That you've only drank ~6 drinks also helps. Generally speaking, hangovers start around 6 drinks, but as your tolerance builds it might take 8 or 10 or sometimes 12 to feel it the next day. For me, 9 is probably my tipping point where I'll often get a killer hangover the next morning, and that's without drinking any water. That's also an all night type of thing. I'm not talking about 9 drinks in 3 hours. I'm talking about 9 drinks in 8 hours or so. Essentially, try to limit yourself to about 1 drink per hour on average. Or as you've been doing consume water alongside it to keep you hydrated and slow the absorption.

Of course, the strength of the drinks matters too if we're talking mixed drinks. Ordinarily drinks are meant to be approximately equivalent: a single shot of scotch or a beer, they're still one drink, and should have about the same effect on you in the same amount of time. That said, mixed drinks that aren't carefully measured can quickly become much stronger. :) I recommend you measure your alcohol if you're mixing your own drinks. And of course, some types of drinks are faster to consume and that can get you into trouble if you aren't timing your drinks.

Generally speaking, mixing different kinds of drinks in a night is also a recipe for disaster in my experience. Even switching beers in the middle of the night can cause me pain the next day. Switching between mixed drinks, or types of drinks, is almost guaranteed to give me a headache.

But I rarely drink water when I'm drinking alcohol. You should, but I'm trying to get drunk and I think the water slows how quickly the alcohol is absorbed. A recommended practice is to quit drinking alcohol an hour or so before bed and switch to drinking water, but I don't do that either. :P Typically I've found drinking water at the end of the night makes me feel nauseous, even though it's actually more likely to prevent vomiting. ::) Of course, nothing would stop me in that same moment drinking another beer. ::)

Do as I say, not as I do. :P

In response to the question if it's possible that you can't have a hangover I'd say that's unlikely. It's much more likely that your responsible drinking habits are keeping you in safe territory. Drink 8 of those drinks without any water and I bet you'll wake up wishing you hadn't (depends on your weight too though). ;)

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

;D
{"name":"612189","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/3\/23e0fe53982f2a1f9a0583ea5f1bacce.jpg","w":720,"h":497,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/3\/23e0fe53982f2a1f9a0583ea5f1bacce"}612189

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Saying alcohol is "very healthy for you" is very misleading. A single drink of alcohol per day is considered beneficial because studies have suggested it reduces certain health risks (though I don't think it is well understood why), but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's "very healthy". What we understand much better is that it's extremely addictive and harmful when abused. I recommend people avoid it entirely. It's somewhat like cigarettes in that it predominantly treats ailments that you never had until you started drinking.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

A single drink of alcohol per day is considered beneficial because studies have suggested it reduces certain health risks (though I don't think it is well understood why)

These studies also often rely heavily on correlation without looking deeper into other things that could affect a person's health such as diet, sleeping patterns, amount of exercise or genetic history.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I'll keep drinking it in moderation. I love my Baby Duck (sparkling red wine), but I never overdo it. It is absolutely very healthy for you. But to each his own. I learned my lesson about the foolishness of getting drunk. I now limit myself to around 3 glasses of wine, give or take. My health is doing fine, I haven't had a flu for well over two decades. I rarely even get a cold. My father likes to have his own home made beer almost daily, while rarely getting drunk and he just turned 79.

Which reminds me, I haven't had any wine in a while, need to buy some more if I can get myself to trudge through the snow and winter we just got 5 weeks ahead of time (damn global warming). :)

---

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

NiteHackr said:

It is absolutely very healthy for you.

For something to be "very healthy," it needs to have clearly shown improvement to your health. Regular exercise for example has many health benefits which have been proven by many studies. The studies that show improvement to your health due to moderate alcohol use are flawed, and even then they only show very slight improvements to your health, which are offset by the greater risk of cancer that is also linked to even moderate alcohol consumption.

Quote:

My health is doing fine, I haven't had a flu for well over two decades.

An individual case means absolutely nothing. I've also never had influenza and very rarely ever get colds, and I drank dangerous amounts for over 20 years. In fact, with the exception of pneumonia which I got from smoking and from damaging my lung in a bike accident (3 broken ribs, one of which punctured my lung, and instead of taking time off to heal, I went back to work the following morning), I've always been in very good health.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

What is coming at 0 ?

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

{"name":"612190","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/d\/9dd4669332e65dc7caa3fdd57b34f120.jpg","w":960,"h":882,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/d\/9dd4669332e65dc7caa3fdd57b34f120"}612190

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

What Don Cherry said was beyond stupid. I don't normally support people losing their jobs over what they say. We all have wrong ideas from time to time, but we're all better off with the freedom to express them so that we can discover that we're wrong and form better ideas. In any case, what he said was stupid, and I stand with that. :)

Immigrants don't owe anything to the veterans of Canada. Many immigrants have endured far worse than even what many of our veterans have. It shows serious ignorance and insensitivity to overlook their own difficult paths and assert to them that they need to follow a Canadian custom to honor our past and present soldiers when our soldiers were in no way doing any of it for immigrants (odds are most were doing it for themselves in recent years, whereas back in the WW1 and WW2 days were probably coerced by government).

WW1 and WW2 veterans went through hell, and most of them were likely coerced to do it. And they haven't even been properly cared for since. They deserve our support.

I don't think that younger generations of Canadian soldiers have quite the same story to tell. It's more likely that they volunteered for "duty", and they likely endured far less extreme conditions. Most modern day wars are pitting well-equipped, well-trained professionals against poorly-trained and poorly-equipped guys with guns. Canadian soldiers aren't equipped quite as well as the Americans are, but I imagine they still have a major advantage against Taliban soldiers. ::)

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

{"name":"612191","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/5\/25dd4a20a76c0ed699fb25cefb564b04.jpg","w":886,"h":960,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/5\/25dd4a20a76c0ed699fb25cefb564b04"}612191

Being upset with Don Cherry about a comment against immigrants when he wasn't talking about them specifically... means you're an idiot. Go watch the video clip of what he actually said again. He was talking about everyone who doesn't wear a poppy to support those who fought and died for their freedoms. But, that's the retarded leftists, they all jump on the bandwagon and follow the crowd without checking the facts.

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I did my best to find a clip of this because obviously I wasn't watching that garbage when it happened.

You know, I was talking to a veteran. I said, "I'm not going to run the poppy thing anymore because what's the sense? I live in Mississauga, nobody wears... uhh uhh, very few wear a poppy... Downtown Toronto, FORGET IT. Downtown Toronto, nobody wears a poppy. And I'm going to..." And he says, "Wait a minute! How about running it for the people that buy them." Now you go to the small cities, and you know ... those ... [unintelligible] ... the rows, on rows... (?) YOU PEOPLE, love,... you,... that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at LEAST you could pay a couple of bucks for poppies or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the, uhhh, biggest price!"

First of all, this doesn't make any sense to start with. He's rambling, and it's not at all clear what the fuck he's saying. It's amazing he wasn't fired just for that if this is a typical night. It appears that he is crazy.

First he says he's not going to run the "poppy thing" because very few people in the Toronto/Mississauga area where he lives wear them. He emphasizes that nobody in Toronto wears them. Of course, both of these cities being full of diverse populations from all races and religions and immigrating from all over the world. He doesn't seem upset about this at all.

And apparently the veteran he was talking to about this interrupts him and says he should still do it for the people that do buy them. I don't know what this "poppy thing" is. I'm not familiar with his show. I'm assuming it's a typical advertising/guilt trip about wearing poppies, and this year he says he isn't going to bother, and the veteran apparently says to run it anyway because people in other parts of Canada still buy them... Which makes zero sense to me because people that are already buying them don't need to be told to buy them.

Then it sounds like he's starting to say that people in small towns still buy poppies and support the troops, but then he just goes off on a rant. It's not entirely clear what he was trying to say, but it does seem evident that he's referring to immigrants here. Starting first with "YOU PEOPLE" very excitedly, and then seeming to struggle for the politically correct words, before just going off on a rant about milk and honey (neither of which I think Canada is particularly well known for), and about how whoever YOU PEOPLE is should pay a couple of bucks or something for a poppy because reasons.

The argument is a complete brainfuck. It is completely unclear what he is trying to say. It certainly sounds like an attack on immigrants though.

It's really hard to make sense of what the fuck he thinks he is saying. Transcribing it was quite a challenge too.

In the video that I used as my source for that clip, the only source I found in my 5 minutes of searching, the hosts of that show follow up with an audio clip where he tries to say that by "YOU PEOPLE" he meant "everybody", but hilariously he says, "What I said was everybody, and I meant everybody, whether Scotch, Irish, English, [unintelligible]. Everybody that comes to this country should honour our fallen dead,..."

Hilariously, he doesn't say Canadians need to. He says everybody that comes to Canada. Natural born Canadians don't come to Canada. We were born here. You know who comes to Canada? Immigrants! (Well, and tourists, but I doubt November is tourist season anywhere in Canada...)

Ultimately what he said was wrong, and apparently he was given an opportunity to apologize and refused. Like I said, the entire rant was pretty unintelligible. He sounds senile. If that was representative of a typical Coach's Corner perhaps his retirement was long overdue!

Go to: