Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's such a dumpster fire franchise now.

Well, no wonder:

LennyLen said:

I don't have high hopes for the movie, but The Empire Strikes Back was the first movie I ever saw at the cinema and I've seen every Star Wars movie since then at the cinema, so it's become a tradition.

People need to vote with their wallet on arts/entertainment. Artists should be free to express themselves any way they see fit, but if they intend to make a living from it then it should ultimately please audiences.

Perhaps this is really a failure in the market though. Instead of paying to watch a movie you should get to vote on how much you liked the movie afterward by paying. :) That might naturally select better production. AKA pay what you want after you've consumed the art.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

People need to vote with their wallet on arts/entertainment.

Already there my friend. I don't buy crap. I don't play AAA titles. I don't pay full price for most games. I haven't been to a theater in ages.

I just watched the last avengers a few months ago. It was a boring dumpster fire. I have no idea what the hell anyone is proud of. The previous one actually took a little risk, and the last one just magically undid it all. Boring.

I heard a movie reviewer on YouTube say something that stuck with me. "I can forgive bad. Bad movies took a chance and failed. But they tried. The worst kind of movie, is a boring one."

Ask yourself, is ANYTHING going to happen in the last star wars? Is there ANY chance of Ray dying, or becoming evil, or having ANYTHING happen to her that she herself is incapable of defeating without someone else's help? Is there ANY chance of Finn becoming evil, or dying? No. No. and No. Even though they somehow defeat "the biggest evil ever", the next movie they're somehow back even stronger. And somehow they're the only ones fighting "the evil" yet the entire UNIVERSE won't stand and give them some aid (at least under the table)? My butthole.

Disney is also pandering to China, and while I love their culture, I do not for an even ounce support China's government nor think AMERICAN companies should be censoring AMERICAN movies for CHINESE government approval. For example, if you ever wanted the idea of gay people existing in Star Wars, ha ha ha, good luck now.

[edit]

OH MY GOD. GET OUTER WORLDS NOW. I feel like a kid again. I'm so. happy.

-----sig:
โ€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.โ€ - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

For:

Chris Katko said:

That is why fanfics exist. to do what they don't want to do.

EDIT:

159!! 159x25+3=3978 comments...

The Browser make very slow for load all comments in the Post Reply time...

And how make the quote? by writing by hand?...

๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ ๐ŸŒŸ BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) ๐ŸŒŸ C/C++ ๐ŸŒŸ GNU/Linux ๐ŸŒŸ IceCream/Cornet ๐ŸŒŸ ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I have a JavaScript library that gives me a UI to create the quotes. :) If you quote exactly then it's still fast. If you don't, Allegro.cc will have to iterate through every post to try to find which one you're quoting,... You can probably just fill in garbage too: <quote name="Chris Katko" src="garbage">.

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

RmBeer2 said:

And how make the quote?

Look at "Formatting Help" to see how to do quotes.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I'm taking advanced Java for school, and we have an eight-week "final project" thing. The instructor let me choose the project. Since at my job, we do pair programming, I thought "why not a pair managing service."

The back end will be a Java (of course) RESTful API using Spring and the front end will be a basic React app using JavaScript (of course). Look, Chris Katko's two favorite programming languages! ;D (I'm just jostling you.)

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

We had a woman at my work today ask about the vaping products we sell, when a customer behind her started telling her she shouldn't vape because it's bad for you. He then bought a pack of cigarettes. Go figure.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

I don't like vaping or smoking, but even I'll admit the former is much less harmful (except for the black market vape juice that has been making people sick recently).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

LennyLen said:

We had a woman at my work today ask about the vaping products we sell, when a customer behind her started telling her she shouldn't vape because it's bad for you. He then bought a pack of cigarettes. Go figure.

There is a lot of media coverage in NA right now about vaping related illnesses. They haven't been able to trace it back to its source(s) yet, but it appears to be in the unregulated or illicit juice market. Even though people have been vaping for years without issues, in the past year several people have come down with serious infections and a few have even died I think.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of misinformation going around about it. "Vaping" means a few different things. And since health officials haven't been able to conclusively identify a problem ingredient or vendor they are playing it safe and just warming people to refrain completely.

My wife usually gets worried every couple of months and tells me about it, worried that it'll affect me. All I'm doing is vaping cannabis flower, but all reported cases appear to be vaping e-liquid. The stigma of cannabis is causing media outlets to report a link to cannabis, even though a few of the victims were using nicotine products that contained no THC or other cannabinoids. It's likely just the result of ignorance.

That said, if you're selling the e-liquids you should probably be aware of this at least. Perhaps the culprit juices aren't available on your side of the world (yet). I suspect they're an American product that has spread to Canada (most cases in the USA). I don't use that stuff anymore, though I briefly tried it years ago hoping it would help my brother and sister-in-law quit.

I have no nicotine addiction though so there was really no point in me doing it, and it's not cheap (particularly the e-cigarettes or vaping devices), and the one that I had was beginning to fail. I don't even know where it is anymore. Odds are my wife threw it away years ago.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

even though a few of the victims were using nicotine products that contained no THC or other cannabinoids.

There's also the possibility that they were vaping illicit thc capsules, but didn't want to admit to it.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

One thing I don't understand about vaping is, cigarettes cannot be advertised, at least in my state. However I see ads all the time for vaping products. If cigarettes can't be advertised, why vaping systems?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I don't understand what people have against just breathing in air. There are definite problems with vaping, all vaping. I researched it because I felt it would be a great way for my wife to quit smoking. She has a VERY hard time quitting, but after some research I discovered all sorts of problems with it and concluded that you're only swapping one harmful addiction for another.

Personally, I quit smoking when I was 27, just went cold turkey and I was over it in a few weeks, and year later I didn't want the things around me. Plus at the time I put aside money I used to spend on smokes to buy a new computer (an Amiga 500 at the time), which helped as well. Been paying for upgrades with the same amount of money each month ever since.

---
โ€œI love you too.โ€ - last words of Wanda Roy

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

NiteHackr said:

but after some research I discovered all sorts of problems with it and concluded that you're only swapping one harmful addiction for another.

Be careful where you do your research. There is a LOT of misinformation floating around. As reported by the CDC/FDA, the majority of patients presenting with lung illness have admitted to using THC products, and there have been many recent reports of inferior THC products that have had vitamin-e acetate added to them to make them appear to be a more superior product than they are.

What's interesting is that this problem seems to be unique to the USA. There are far more people using vaping products in the rest of the world than in the USA alone, but nowhere else seems to be having problems. Part of the problem is probably lack of regulation of vaping products. However, by sticking to proper vape juice (containing only VG, PG and flavourings) made by a reputable company will be a lot safer than smoking. The NHS in England are actually putting vape stores into their hospitals to promote them as a harm reduction method for smokers. Public Health England has a good blog entry that dispels many of the myths about vaping.

Quote:

Personally, I quit smoking when I was 27, just went cold turkey and I was over it in a few weeks, and year later I didn't want the things around me

Well done. I smoked for nearly 30 years (aged 14-43) and tried giving up on multiple occasions, but then the next time I had an anxiety attack I'd be back on them again.

I've been vaping for nearly two years now and it's the longest I've ever gone without a cigarette. I had a barrage of lung function tests done earlier this year (my liver is so big and high in my body that it's invading my lung cavity and they needed to find out if surgery was necessary) and I got excellent results on every test. I haven't had pneumonia since I switched, which is something I'd been getting every winter for a few years.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Who would have thought that coating your lungs in moisture could cause pneumonia?! ??????????????????

-----sig:
โ€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.โ€ - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Who would have thought that coating your lungs in moisture could cause pneumonia?!

I haven't had pneumonia since I started vaping.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It is the tar and junk in cigarette smoke that makes one susceptible to pneumonia... :P Albeit, inhaling anything foreign into your lungs presents some added risk, but some things are far far worse than others...

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

inhaling anything foreign into your lungs presents some added risk

Agreed, and I wouldn't recommend vaping or smoking to anyone who is currently not doing either. But I would definitely recommend anyone who is a smoker to try vaping to see if it works for them (some smokers don't find vaping satisfying) as it is a far safer alternative.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I bought some starter kits years ago to try to get my brother and his wife to switch. I tried it out first, and then I think I bought them a kit or something. I forget. That was years ago. They wouldn't at the time. Idiots.

My uncle just died a little over a year ago from lung cancer. Mid-50's. We thought he was relatively healthy. Of course, he always covered up his smoking around us because his parents didn't approve. He was somewhat destructive because he got fucked in a bad marriage, and the courts favour women. His wife was allegedly cheating on him with another man, she left, and eventually ended up with full custody of the children and an alimony on top. And he killed himself with alcohol and cigarettes basically. Cigarettes won that competition. Anyway, I sympathize.

We thought he just had a bad cold/flu. He missed Easter supper for it. He went to hospital for it shortly after, and they declared it pneumonia. Further tests revealed that he had advanced lung cancer, and it was irreversible. He died about 2 weeks after going into hospital. I didn't get a chance to see him (initially we didn't realize it was so serious, and by the time we knew it was recommended to "remember him as he was"). The really hard part is that he was perhaps the "elder" that I most related to. And despite the many years that I could have visited and perhaps even helped to ease his pain I never did. It was just awkward. My grandmother died a few months earlier, and I couldn't really "feel" it because we knew it was likely (also cancer). For him, in part because it was unexpected and sudden, and he was so young, and perhaps building up from my grandmother, I wept uncontrollably when I got home. For hours. I mean, I set the mood to do it. I wanted to. But I was able to, whereas I couldn't when my grandmother died. I think it affected me somewhat when he died. It felt sort of like a premonition or foreshadowing. Anyway, it was a very hard loss.

Cigarettes are not a joke. Honestly, if you're still smoking cigarettes in 2019 give yourself a HARD slap in the face, and STOP IT now. If you're trying to kill yourself I guess that's your business. Though at least you could lobby your government(s) to provide better health care services to people like you, and for the law to treat you more fairly (if you are suffering a similar fate as my uncle). If you don't intend to die prematurely nor abandon your family then seriously commit to quitting smoking. No matter who you are there are people that will miss you. That's not always clear to all of us, but again lobby your government for better mental health care.

It's a shame that we can't figure out a way to control a substance without fueling criminal enterprises. I'm not sure if a solution exists, other than education and perhaps social assistance for people trying to quit. We can provide both medical substitutes and counseling... That's about it...

I never really understood smoking. I tried it various times, but I never inhaled. I guess the education I was provided was enough to scare me away from it. Thankfully. I was so wary that when I tried smoking weed for the first time a very powerful joint did NOTHING to me because I was so accustomed to smoking without inhaling. :P I had to research how to even inhale because I couldn't do it naturally.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

LennyLen said:

I haven't had pneumonia since I switched

Yeah, when I quit smoking (as well as some dietary changes I won't get into here) I stopped getting the flu, which i used to get twice a year like clockwork. I also rarely get a cold anymore and I have never had a flu shot in my life.

---
โ€œI love you too.โ€ - last words of Wanda Roy

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Swimming increases your chances for pneumonia but directly inhaling water doesn't? Really guys?

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/health/swimming-warning-about-pneumonia-risk-1.167131

I'm not saying "don't vape". But come on.

-----sig:

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

I'm not pro smoking or vaping, but that article clearly says the problem is that the water and surrounding air are already especially dirty. Vaporized water is generally going to be cleaner than pool or lake water.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig is dead right. Don't smoke kids. Please. :(

I've been a smoker for nearly 25 years now, and I feel worse than ever. If I don't quit smoking soon, I may not have much time left. :(

I don't know how I feel about vaping. I won't comment.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

There is usually water in the air all around us all the time. :P It's called humidity, and most of us probably live in a climate where it is naturally occurring. If that is a risk for illness then we're already exposed. :P The humidity level is 84% outside right now (meaning the air is nearly saturated with water at its current temperature). There's no way for me to breathe the air outside without inhaling water vapour. Inside we have a dehumidifier to reduce the humidity levels, but it is still at around 50%.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

raynebc said:

Vaporized water is generally going to be cleaner than pool or lake water.

You know all water goes bad over time, right? :P Bacteria enjoys growing.

I've been a smoker for nearly 25 years now, and I feel worse than ever. If I don't quit smoking soon, I may not have much time left. :(

Fun fact: Within 3 months of not smoking, you'll have recovered a huge amount of lung capacity.

-----sig:

Go to: