This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Exactly! I must have forgotten to put a "!" before the preg_match function.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Well, the reason I added that in the first place didn't matter anyway, another app was hitting a long-running view for an autocomplete feature. I just did a dump of the columns that were used in the view and fixed that app as a result (Said app was getting to the point of causing a DoS on the server because of that)

At least it wasn't as bad as when I somehow caused a DDoS on said server with another app >.>

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ๐Ÿ’ฎ

๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ ๐ŸŒŸ BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) ๐ŸŒŸ C/C++ ๐ŸŒŸ GNU/Linux ๐ŸŒŸ IceCream/Cornet ๐ŸŒŸ ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

white flower emoji U+1F4AE

I googled it.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Yesterday, I couldn't even get to the site.

---
MiquelFire.red

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig said:

Bump. >:(

Kids, that's what happens when you don't get enough allegro.cc. It's an essential source of vitamins, nutrients, trolling, and memes. ;)

{"name":"geOAQgR.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/f\/6f74aae9be2c99d2f57e863ce0e5ac65.png","w":630,"h":630,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/f\/6f74aae9be2c99d2f57e863ce0e5ac65"}geOAQgR.png

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

I just bought my first smartphone. I did have other smartphones before but they were all old hand-me-downs I got for free. Maybe one day I'll stop using my desktop as my primary device.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I can't manage to keep my charging port clean so it doesn't always charge. :/

The charging port on mine is loose, so the cable won't stay in unless I weigh it and the phone down with books.

It's the second Motorola phone I've had in a row where this has happened, which is a shame as they've been very good phones otherwise.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Personally, I love how the DNC has basically thrown away half the candidates. Democracy in action!

-----sig:
โ€œPrograms should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.โ€ - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

LennyLen said:

The charging port on mine is loose, so the cable won't stay in unless I weigh it and the phone down with books.

Charging ports are a common weak spot for phones. And if not the phone itself, then the case. I'm thankful that my phone supports wireless charging. It is way nicer.

Personally, I love how the DNC has basically thrown away half the candidates. Democracy in action!

I still barely know how the American electoral system works, but I hope you're being sarcastic...

In my opinion, that's how Trump won. All of the sane Democrats were eliminated leaving only the batshit crazy one. They chose the lesser of evils IMO. Still plenty evil, but lesser nonetheless.

And here's the kicker: I don't think it was a mistake. Think about that hard. It's important to understand your so called "freedom".

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Clinton would not have been as bad as Trump, I assure you, but that's another topic.

The real problem is the Senate, and Mitch McConnell. That shit head won't pass any bills the house puts through, so the Democrats can't do anything. We need a Democratic Senate, and a Democratic President.

Personally, the candidates I like the most are Tulsi Gabbard, Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, and Elizabeth Warren. Bernie's ok, but he's past his prime. He's better suited to be a Senator, not a President. Maybe a VP, but who knows.

Biden is a crook and a child touching weirdo. Pete Buttigieg is flaming but has some good ideas. Can't remember anyone else of note.

The Republicans are towing party lines as always, with blind loyalty to the orange dictator Donnie Jackass Trumpetmouth. I can't believe they didn't dump him.

And what's even scarier is that fully half of this country is going to vote for Trump AGAIN, like he's some kind of saint.

#DUMPTRUMP

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Clinton would have been worse than Trump. Tulsi and Yang are among the least crazy/terrible/corrupt of the Democrat candidates, but they have no chance of winning. Biden is probably the front runner, but he just made a call to ban all guns that use magazines. Not kidding. The DNC has been overtaken by crazy radicals and all of our freedoms are in jeopardy. Now is not the time to vote for a dangerous leftist simply because "orange man bad".

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

raynebc said:

Clinton would have been worse than Trump. Tulsi and Yang are among the least crazy/terrible/corrupt of the Democrat candidates, but they have no chance of winning. Biden is probably the front runner, but he just made a call to ban all guns that use magazines. Not kidding. The DNC has been overtaken by crazy radicals and all of our freedoms are in jeopardy. Now is not the time to vote for a dangerous leftist simply because "orange man bad".

Typical rayne. Classic Stockholm Syndrome you got going on there.

Yang supports a universal basic income. I doubt you agree.

Tulsi wants us out of war. I support her. She actually served our country, which is something the rest of them can't say.

Don't believe that garbage that Biden is the only one who can beat Trump. Biden is just more of the same, but he wears blue instead of red.

Your freedom is not in jeopardy at all, unless you consider freedom the right to commit mass murder on a whim.

'dangerous leftist'? Sigh. I don't even know how to respond to this knee jerk bullshit.

Guess what, 'orange man' IS bad.

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Your TDS is still showing. Did you see a doctor for that yet?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Just because the president supports banning all guns doesn't mean that he can actually do it. We all know guns will not realistically be removed from America for centuries. That's a bad thing, by the way. Mistakes were made.

I love guns, but I acknowledge that I have no good use for one. I'm not a big fan of game meat (haven't tried it since I was a kid, but I somewhat doubt that it changed). On the other hand, my wife prefers moose meat. Nevertheless... There are plenty of hunting rifles that don't have a removable (or even any!) magazine.

As for protection, I'm fortunate to live in a country where not every lunatic can have a gun. In fact, guns for killing/maiming humans are prohibited to everyone except for law enforcement. For the most part, it works great. I never really fear being shot. There are still some prohibited guns on the streets in the hands of criminals, but they're very rarely used on civilians (mostly they're for protection from other criminals, or most likely mostly for show).

It's unfortunate that prohibiting guns in America isn't realistic. The reason is because of how serious your crime problems are. Nevertheless, I think we can all agree that there's no realistic need for an AR-15 or similar function rifles for defence. If you need that for defence then you probably should just call the police instead. If it's a surprise invasion you likely won't be able to get to that type of weapon anyway, let alone use one effectively as a civilian.

So some guns can still be prohibited. Drawing the line at "has a magazine" is likely way too strict, however, most long guns with removable magazines could be banned, and magazine capacities could be restricted (in Canada, some guns need customized magazines that support fewer rounds than the American market) to make them less effective in a terrorist act.

In states or at least counties or cities where people generally don't need to worry about an armed thug robbing them or breaking in during the night they can take it to the extreme and outlaw even more guns.

And where ownership is permitted they can restrict movements with them. For example, in Canada, it is unlawful to travel with a gun or ammo in your car (or on your person, obviously) unless you're traveling to or from a site where you are authorized to use it (e.g., a shooting range or hunting grounds). Similarly, the guns need to have trigger locks on them, and the ammo needs to be out of the gun and locked separately. Similar storage requirements are required at home as well.

You won't be using a long rifle to defend yourself from a car thief so that should be required to be secured/locked up while in the vehicle, and you should only be allowed to have it if you're traveling somewhere to legally use it.

With these rules in place it would become a lot more difficult to pull off a shooting. Civilians that saw anybody with guns far away from shooting ranges or hunting grounds (e.g., in the middle of a major city) could know they're probably up to no good, or at the very least ignoring the new laws, and call the police to investigate. Law abiding citizens wouldn't even have their guns on them so the chances of a tense situation escalating would be reduced significantly.

Guns are very cool, but the damage they do to the human body is a lot less cool. It's easy to be disconnected from it, but if you think about the actual person being shot. Somebody's father, brother, or son. Countless years. Countless memories. That being ripped away for any unnecessary purpose is unfathomable. The world would be a better place without guns.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Bam: The problem is that so many of the anti-gun politicians and activists here know very little truth about guns, or they are lying about it. I don't live in one of the vastly overcrowded cities of the country, so I NEVER fear being shot. I don't even have to qualify that with "never really fear." Criminals will always get access to banned weapons, removing effective weapons from law-abiding citizens just makes them less able to protect themselves and their property. There's no reason AR-15s and similar semi automatic rifles should be banned. The number of crimes they're used in are statistically negligible. However activists love a good cherry picking, and that's what they do. They'll label one bogeyman to be banned and then move on to another. There is a saying that probably requires some wisdom to acknowledge: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. As has been established before, each of our opinions on guns has been shaped by our countries' culture. In my country, guns are more of a right than a privilege, and traditionally when people see civilians with guns holstered, their first thought isn't that the gun owner is up to no good.

Edgar: I truly don't care what you have to say. Your very progressive and combative political stances are well established.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

raynebc said:

Edgar: I truly don't care what you have to say. Your very progressive and combative political stances are well established.

I'll take that as a compliment AND a critique. ;)

Regarding the combative bit, I never shy away from a confrontation. I fully admit I bite too easy, and hit too hard for some to take.

Let's look up a few definitions, shall we?

wordnik said:

Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.

Emphasis mine.

wordnik said:

Open to or favoring new ideas, policies, or methods.

Now, I'm assuming you self identify as conservative otherwise this argument doesn't apply.

Let me ask you a direct question. Is today's government working for us? Do it's policies promote growth and health?

Now, if you answer no to that question, and you continue to self identify as conservative, you admit to stagnance and refusal to change a broken system. I identify as progressive because I realize our world needs change.

raynebc said:

Bam: The problem is that so many of the anti-gun politicians and activists here know very little truth about guns, or they are lying about it. I don't live in one of the vastly overcrowded cities of the country, so I NEVER fear being shot[1]. I don't even have to qualify that with "never really fear." Criminals will always get access to banned weapons[2], removing effective weapons from law-abiding citizens just makes them less able to protect themselves and their property[3]. There's no reason AR-15s and similar semi automatic rifles should be banned.[4] The number of crimes they're used in are statistically negligible. However activists love a good cherry picking, and that's what they do. They'll label one bogeyman to be banned and then move on to another. There is a saying that probably requires some wisdom to acknowledge: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.[5] As has been established before, each of our opinions on guns has been shaped by our countries' culture. In my country, guns are more of a right than a privilege[6], and traditionally when people see civilians with guns holstered, their first thought isn't that the gun owner is up to no good.

References

1. It doesn't affect me so I don't care
  2. we don't need to make it easy for them
  3. You don't need a AR-15 to defend yourself, you're not in a war. A shotgun or a Colt .45 would easily suffice
  4. When was the last mass shooting in Canada?
  5. No one wants to take away your right to defend yourself. All we want is the right not to live in fear of being gunned down by a maniac with a military grade weapon.
  6. We don't live in the days when we needed a standing militia, get your head out of the 18th century

Go to: