jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

That's awesome news Aaron!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

xD

{"name":"612095","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/8\/38ac69de9ac0ac62c0f5b054cbe19eb7.jpg","w":438,"h":328,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/8\/38ac69de9ac0ac62c0f5b054cbe19eb7"}612095

Also,

LOVE?!!!!!!!!

EDIT
{"name":"ebfff3a6232228ad45a54fac660a51c1.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/b\/ebfff3a6232228ad45a54fac660a51c1.jpg","w":573,"h":767,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/b\/ebfff3a6232228ad45a54fac660a51c1"}ebfff3a6232228ad45a54fac660a51c1.jpg

EDIT2

francois said:

I'm too old for this silly valentines day crap - it's for kids. But you could say that when I'm with a girl I celebrate "Valentines Day" quite often. My gift is a big wet f**k. Hell, sometimes I'll invite other girls over to make things more interesting.

:D

EDIT3

Any Firefly and XKCD fans here?

Oh,
this
is too good
not to

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm a huge fan of Firefly, and I used to be a big fan of XKCD before it started sucking. I was thoroughly disappointed by this series. The bar was way too high.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

XKCD before it started sucking.

I love this failure:

{"name":"free_speech.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/a\/8a376c95a55c15d15422f09c5f823bdf.png","w":566,"h":577,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/a\/8a376c95a55c15d15422f09c5f823bdf"}free_speech.png

The exact same argument could be for used for telling black people to get the hell out of your restaurant. #soprogressive

Meanwhile, I've been playing the HELL out of some The Hunter: Call of the Wild.

{"name":"A6F9E51900CA361F1AB5F3D1DA61BF0321A7D5C9","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/e\/3e22a962735ab82f43e8dcacbd617c0a.jpg","w":2560,"h":1440,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/e\/3e22a962735ab82f43e8dcacbd617c0a"}A6F9E51900CA361F1AB5F3D1DA61BF0321A7D5C9

Shot a bear, 26 meters away, in the back of the head with a 7mm rifle. Execution style. Probably the first bear I ever shot that had zero clue I was there.

It has MULTIPLAYER!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

The reason social media platforms censoring and banning people for arbitrary reasons isn't merely a first amendment issue is because these platforms get special legal protections for being neutral platforms. Once they pick and choose which legal speech is allowed, they become publishers and open themselves up to much more legal liability for what's on their platform. They can't get the best of both worlds of being a publisher and a platform, they have to choose which of those they are.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

There's plenty of ways to attack his arguments to other than the "just because the mob hates you, doesn't mean you're the bad person."

He's literally arguing that the MAJORITY IS RIGHT and freedom of speech is literally designed to protect MINORITY OPINIONS from the oppression of the majority. The people IN POWER don't need LAWS to protect them. He is literally arguing that we should act more like pre-civil rights era where you could scream at black people until they left your school.

Further Freedom of Speech predates the US, and the English language. It's an IDEA that wasn't invented by the constitution, it was an idea that was ACKNOWLEDGED by it. It's a societal value, not just a magical law invented out of nowhere.

Further, areas of the internet have become a PUBLIC FORUM. This is the protection you mention that allows them to get away with not being held legally responsible for bad and illegal content that other people post. However, the second you start CURATING that content, you are no longer an impartial server of that content. By outlawing content (beyond what is simply illegal) by saying it's unacceptable, you are taking a stand on what IS acceptable.

The fact of modern society is, a huge amount of discourse occurs over the internet. Huge amounts of "journalists" actually directly get their news from Twitter. It's a public forum. So much so, that when Trump tweets, he can no longer LEGALLY block people from his twitter. Therefor, Twitter is a public platform.

Now they'll say, "only Trump is a public platform" which is batsh!t insane and a lie. You can't go to twitter, and the second you click on one of the people who REPLIED to him on Twitter, and reply to them, get blocked, and that's magically okay? Same website. Same communication style. Replying TO someone who PUBLICLY replied to trump which was LEGALLY PROTECTED, isn't protected? Yeah right. The second that hits the supreme court it's over. They've already started suing the crazy-lady AOC for blocking people.

All of this is just logic-bait though. The truth of it is, modern liberals have zero logic. It's not about logic. It's about emotions, and about tribes. All of these words are meaningless because if you actually try to confront their broken logic, they'll ignore it. Why? Because the words are just an outburst for their emotions. The words have no actual meaning to them which is why they can say so many hypocritical things without bursting into flames. And this isn't a hyperbole. What's really going on is, when they say "freedom of speech" they really mean "I hate anyone who disagrees with me." which also means "I hate anyone who isn't a member of my social in-group."

The reason they hate debates, and hate discussion, is because they know they don't have the logical highground because most of them don't even fully understand their beliefs. It's like asking people to debate Christianity. Most wouldn't dare because they know they don't understand the depths of their religion--the logic behind their beliefs. And liberals have created a secular religion full of zealots who don't even know the reason (if there even is a reason) for most of the political platform they support. They're just noble religious warriors fighting against "evil", whatever that is.

That's also why they always use the term "nazi". Nazi is, in English and modern times, the worst evil you can be. So they're not really calling people nazis. They're calling people "maximum bad." That's how they can call gay asian men nazis (and violently attack him), as well as orthodox jews Nazis, and not have their heads immediately explode. They're not really calling anyone Nazis (though we're all been fooled), they're calling them "really really really bad people." They don't care if they're actually nazis. That's why they don't apologize when proven otherwise--the person has been outed as "maximum bad" even if the logical word has been proven wrong. You don't apologize to a monster even if your word was wrong.

So their targets aren't really "nazis", "misogonysts", "sexists,", "racists", or "islamaphobes". They're just people that someone on the left has targetted and "outted" as a snake in the grass--a wolf in sheeps clothing--a secret "bad" person amongst our community and we must lynch mob to drive them out from our society.

There are plenty of evolutionary psychologists who have gone into detail on these new liberal nutjobs that make real liberals like me look bad. Most of these psychologists also get death threats. Because nothing says progressive like sending death threats to someone with a Ph.D. Fun fact: ALL of these scientists who got death threats are liberal too.

Also, what's even worse though. Is that not only are these nutjobs ... nutjobs, but they're also running the majority of tech companies which are how we get all of our media and communication. Oh look, here's Google employees casually refering to a jew, Ben Shapiro, and an evolutionary, practicing psychologist Jordon Peterson, as nazis.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/leaked-email-from-google-employee-refers-to-ben-shapiro-jordan-peterson-as-nazis

And nobody corrected them. Everyone was okay calling a orthodox Jew, a Nazi. If these were normal human beings, they would feel shame. But oh well on that. (Imagine if a conservative company like Chick-Fil-A leaked that they called a Jew a nazi. It'd be HELL ON EARTH to pay.)

Here they are telling pro-life protesters, "go home nazis":

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/920066229200498688

See what I mean? Nazi doesn't mean Nazi. What the hell does being PRO. LIFE. have to do with nazism, eugenics, and murdering Jewish people? Debate conception all you want, but these people are batsh!t insane and you'll shoot blood out your nose before you ever figure them out if you try to make logical sense of them. Because they're not running on logic, they're running on emotion. One in particular: Hatred.

Fun fact: The same biology behind conservatives hating outsiders / foreigners (xenophobia) is basically fueling the new liberals hatred. They've become the new bible thumpers trying to weed out the "sinners" so they can gain social credits amongst their community. Liberals have become idea xenophobes. And that's basically the same thing because conservatives aren't afraid of "colored/foreign/religious people" physically existing, they're afraid of different ideas coming in and harming their society by uprooting established rules and ideas. Just like liberals are afraid of "giving a platform" to ideas that are counter to their established dogma. What a bunch of bigots.

The real danger though is, now that we're a WORLD economy. Liberals have unprecedented power in filtering and censoring ideas around the world using machines and algorithms. Bible thumpers in the 90's never took away your bank account, or even your job for daring to expose Wrong Think(TM). Conservative protesters shouted you down, but they didn't press the mute button on your mouth, or threw concrete into your eyes and beat you in the back of the head like they did... to a gay Asian journalist.

I mean, if I told you a bunch of white boys screamed a black woman out of a resturant. Would you think this was 1950, or 2018? And that they were rednecks, or liberals?

{"name":"5iQYjnmB.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/1\/e13581b94b69bf89a571e895d850e5f9.jpg","w":1200,"h":560,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/1\/e13581b94b69bf89a571e895d850e5f9"}5iQYjnmB.jpg

{"name":"DkBPjKFUUAAufZR.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/7\/472cbdd4f50a9e9b2473d0fe7eb42a01.jpg","w":496,"h":619,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/7\/472cbdd4f50a9e9b2473d0fe7eb42a01"}DkBPjKFUUAAufZR.jpg

It's a damn disgrace that it's liberals.

And to be clear, I, as a real liberal, am defending a black woman conservative who believes global warming is a hoax. Why? Because I'm a !@$!ing human being. That's why.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

And to be clear, I, as a real liberal, am defending a black woman conservative who believes global warming is a hoax. Why? Because I'm a !@$!ing human being. That's why.

Yes sir, you are a fine human being.

I agree with most of what you say, but I wonder where all these liberals are you're talking about. I just don't read what you read I guess. I come from a fairly conservative though still quite liberally left depending on where you are but I digress.

Any way, our only hope is Warren 2020. Or Kamala Harris. Biden is crooked and obsessed with smelling children's hair. Bernie is an ideologue, which I like, but I don't think he can pull it off. Very few others even compare.

And how did the immigration problem get so bad?

I mean why didn't anything happen the first time there was an outcry about the treatment of immigrants on the border? People are now actively protesting, which is good, but how did it get worse?

I mean, I know how it got worse, Trump has been slowly and steadily replacing positions of power with his corrupt cronies and friends in the industry.

If this country somehow re-elects Trump, there's gonna be trouble.

It's bad enough we have to endure his bullshit for another year and a half. Why hasn't he been impeached again yet?

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

I got into watching Tim Pool's news podcasts lately. He describes himself as center-left moderate, or even further left than Obama, but honestly he seems to be one of the sane liberals who is willing to call out the radicals and idiocy on both sides instead of just one. The dangerous liberals are largely the far-left radicals in news, politics, big tech and the far-left violent activists like Antifa.

Immigration has been bad for a long time, but Democrats mostly complain now instead of before because of who's president. Additionally, the Democrat party has veered sharply to the left in the past decade (even by admission of the New York Times in a graph from an article that Tim Pool references frequently https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/26/opinion/sunday/republican-platform-far-right.html). The DNC started at "enforce the immigration laws" and has almost gone all the way to "open borders and free stuff for illegal immigrants" today.

Trump wasn't impeached because the farcical impeachment campaigns were seen to be lacking merit. The last thing we need is a radical leftist (compared to Obama even) becoming president. Results matter more than mere nice rhetoric. Trump 2020.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

I don't care about your opinion, Edgar. Go ahead and stay mad. I don't see Warren's odds being very good considering how the DNC candidates are trying to compete for who is the most radically woke. They'll quite possibly alienate all the normal people they need. Plus she's a white woman, and the far left demands more ethnic diversity than that.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Politics and Religion are like rocket fuel for this thread :P

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Boldly going where no thread has gone before.

{"name":"giphy.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/a\/3aa42a3841c997493cbf4cb191c3cae9.gif","w":320,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/a\/3aa42a3841c997493cbf4cb191c3cae9"}giphy.gif

I mean, I can understand sleeping with the devil when you think he's Jesus, but continuing to do so even after you find out? That's just pathetic.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Trump is a radical maniac, but unfortunately plenty of the democratic nominees are also radical maniacs. At least Trump is on the "conservative" side, for whatever that's worth. The radical democrats are on the liberal side, where changing things radically is not only acceptable but encouraged.

Would you rather sleep with the devil you know or the devil you don't know?

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

It's hilarious that the crazies on the left will call Trump "literally Hitler" and be so blind to their own flaws.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Trump IS Hitler.

He stirs up xenophobia and hatred.

He makes blatantly racist comments about citizens of THIS country.

He gives out positions of power to those with money and ties to his interests.

The 'detention centers' on the border are concentration camps. Unsanitary conditions, lack of clean drinking water and food. Overcrowding, abuse, and lack of health care. Indeterminate detention, rampant abuse by the Border Patrol.

Trump has been steadily eroding protections for wildlife and nature preserves. He appoints people to positions they have clear conflicts of interest in being appointed to.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Trump is a bigot, a misogynist sexist pig, and a greedy bastard.

#DumpTrump

This is why I don't respect you raynebc. Because you willingly follow a monster. Grow a spine and stand up for what's right. :/

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Wow, Edgar. You're the same kind of special stupid as AOC. I hope you take your partisan blinders off some day.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

People like AOC are what makes this country great. People who are willing to stand up for the common person. People who aren't afraid to fight big corporations. People who aren't afraid of rooting out corruption.

We're gonna fix this country. You can either be a part of the solution, or you can be a part of the problem.

video

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I don't know much about these people, or even how the American election process works, but based on a quick skim of Wikipedia I do think I would align with AOC somewhat. That said, I also don't think she has a chance. The monopoly men that run the world will not allow her ideas to put into practice. I still admire her trying, but I won't hold my breath.

Append:

In other news, the Green Party of Canada's campaign slogan for this election (in October) is "Not Left. Not Right. Forward Together." Which I think is awesome. And I think it emphasizes something that isn't talked about enough.

Most regular people are not left, or right, but slightly left-of-center or right-of-center. It's no wonder that when we elect "left" or "right" it only benefits a tiny fraction of the population.

Canadians should certainly look at their candidates carefully, consider the party platforms and histories, and choose wisely. The Conservatives and Liberals keep fucking us without lube. Personally, I lean towards Green because they're more science-based, at least so far; and they're still small enough that big money hasn't even attempted to corrupt them yet. So far my riding doesn't have a Green candidate though so I may be forced to vote NDP. Compared to the other big two I have more in common with the NDP, though I don't trust them as much as I trust Green (which is also not 100% because of their gender politics). I may also consider voting NOP (Northern Ontario Party). Seems we do have a candidate there. I'm only so familiar with their platform, but what I've read sounds good. And they're even smaller than the Green Party so same advantage.

Meanwhile, Americans should also be considering their independent and smaller party options. Clearly neither Democrats nor Republicans are really representing you (or us) well. It will take a long time before there's enough support for another party to actually take power, but you need to start somewhere, and if you keep putting it off it'll be even longer before it happens.

It's funny that they make a big deal about electing a woman as president, as if it's really going to change anything. In reality, it won't. Meanwhile, electing a completely new party could change everything (and for the better)!

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Most Germans let the Holocaust happen.

What are all these moderates saying about the 'detention centers' on the Mexican-American border?

This song came up on my Spotify, thought it was appropriate:

video

Laibach is the best. 8-)

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

It's almost like there was a system of laws where you get detained if you break them. Surprising, isn't it?

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I asked what moderates think of the detention centers. You're not a moderate.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I just find it funny that nobody cared about "Detention centers" when Obama was in office. Or the three million that Obama deported during his administration. (That's a real number.)

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/12/biden-immigration-2020-1411691

And Democrats blocked the $4.5 billion in aid for the "border crisis" when Trump asked for it and said it was a myth, only to then demand he spend... exactly 4.5 billion to fix the "border crisis" a few years later. This literally happened. Interesting how they came to the exact... to the dollar... amount that Trump asked for.

And my point here is not partisionship. My point is, if these places (and things) are truly horrible, then they're horrible no matter who is in office. And the Democratic Party better start holding themselves to the same standard they hold their political rivals to. Right is right, no matter who is in office. Wrong is wrong, no matter who is in office.

-----sig:

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

If I had known about the detention centers under Obama I'd have been against them then too. I'm a socialist, that's like the opposite of Obama (a neoliberal).

What's your point?

Also the Democratic Party does tend to hold itself to its own standards. For example, Al Fraken resigned over the sexual misconduct allegations. What Republican willingly has? The accused pedophile Roy Moore barely lost...

---
they / she

Go to: