Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig said:

Never. >:(

Maybe we should organize an online group smoking session. I wonder if that would be incriminating for anybody smoking illegally...

Haha too bad. I already have a transcript. :/

Nah, p*t is boring. It barely does anything anymore. Maybe I should move to Canada and get the real stuff, cuz apparently it does something...

;D

raynebc
Member #11,908
May 2010

Sounds like you may have built up a resistance pretty quickly. Lots of people hurt themselves chasing for a repeat of how they used to get high from a particular drug, so it may not be worthwhile.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Resistance? Hah! On Friday, I was drinking and smoking, and all was going great until somebody in IRC was being ignorant about Git for like an hour, and I decided to smoke some more of my strong stash. I just did one more half load in my one-hitter... I'd guess maybe 75 or 150 mg. And in 15 minutes I knew I was in trouble. I think the previous hits of this I did were balanced out by my other strain that was high in CBD, but that was probably nearly out of my system by now. An hour or so after taking a final hit of this 18% THC Sativa (at like 3 or 4 AM) I puked my guts out (including a stomach full of beer and tacos). I didn't get to bed until like 6 AM. :-X

I have a bit of a resistance to alcohol, but weed hits me like a newborn baby. :-[ (Presumably)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Check this game out, a longplay video of PORTAL... big deal right? This is the Commodore 64 version! :)

video

You can download the game here...
https://www.jamiefuller.com/portal/

It's actually a pretty good game, if a little short.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

http://stabyourself.net/mari0/

Super Mario Bros 1... with portal guns. That is all.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Nice. :)

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Unfortunately, the Linux "binary" doesn't work on modern systems, and the "source" is a bit more of an obscure binary package (a zip file pretty much, but I have no idea how it's meant to be used or what it does). That said, if you're a Linux user and you feel like living on the wild side, the Windows binary appears to work in wine. I'm not sure it's a fun mod to the classic game. For the most part, the 2D aiming controls are awkward as always in this type of side-scroller. And it seems the game goes way too fast to make use of the portals. But nevertheless it's something somebody made so that's still neat.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

If you're talking about mari0, it uses Love2D. Kind of like my game. :)

Unfortunately it requires an older version of Love2D (0.8) so it doesn't work on the latest builds your package manager probably provides. Kind of like mine requires a custom version of Love2D 11.1, plus other native dependencies...

Such is life.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I signed up. I'm in warming phase ^^

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

{"name":"A-watched-pot-never-boils.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5ae5c17e2c717315fd9f077361d5c45d.jpg","w":1500,"h":1200,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/a\/5ae5c17e2c717315fd9f077361d5c45d"}A-watched-pot-never-boils.jpg

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Mwahaha totally that. 8-)

Edit: I may have a bun now instead of a short haircut. Who's the artist BTW ?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

There is no such things as a man or a woman hairdo, and I'm still a man whatever my haircut is.
8-)

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Microsoft releases MS-DOS v1.25 and v2.0 source code.

https://github.com/Microsoft/MS-DOS

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

NiteHackr said:

That's pretty cool. Now I wait for MS to release the source code for Windows, particularly XP. ::)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

They already did for Windows 2000. ;)

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1030335/leaked-windows-2000-source-code-analysed

Also, who the heck wants XP. ::vomits:: You have any idea how hard it was to get everyone to upgrade to 8/10, as a IT professional? It was a nightmare between the users, upper management, and sometimes worst of all, Microsoft.

At least use Windows Vista/7. They have huge kernel improvements compared to XP.

Fun trivia fact: Windows 2000 (and presumably later editions) source code is actually really well written. That doesn't mean every high-level decision like "Metro interface" is a good idea, but the code that is demanded from upper-management tends to be carefully written. One of the hardest / worst problems they have to deal with is walls of custom checks to make old, important software (including Microsoft products) work with newer versions. People won't buy Windows 10/11 if say, Adobe Photoshop doesn't run on it.

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/few-surprises-in-leaked-windows-2000-code-analysis-20040218-gdidqj.html

Quote:

One extremely interesting example cited was a comment which clearly said that in order to make an application work properly, a bug which existed in an earlier version of the operating system had to be retained as such.

This was because the programmers of the application, Borland's JBuilder, had relied on this bug to make the application work.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Quote:

NiteHackr said:

That's pretty cool. Now I wait for MS to release the source code for Windows, particularly XP. ::)

What they should do is to unban the release of the OS/2 source code, but they'll not because they know Open Sourced OSes will boost their quality so much they'll be out of busines.

True story: OS/2 kernel has the best Intel-based process manager ever, almost impossible to break (I tried a lot with Warp trying bad code on C and Assembler and it never wroke). IBM announced they would release the sources some years ago but kernel has a small little tiny number of lines provided by Microsoft and they used such to ban the release because they claim it was from NT (OS/2 had some compatibility with NT and 3.1) and it cannot be released.

That pissed me off. >:(

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Also, who the heck wants XP. ::vomits:: You have any idea how hard it was to get everyone to upgrade to 8/10, as a IT professional? It was a nightmare between the users, upper management, and sometimes worst of all, Microsoft.

XP was/is crap, but I have fond memories of using it as a kid.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

XP was/is crap, but I have fond memories of using it as a kid.

Maybe that's so, but I'm posting this from XP. ;) I have fond memories of using it as an adult. Everything is simpler. The control panel, the start menu, everything. I have the Quick Launch on the top, the taskbar on the bottom, and notifications in the bottom right. Running XP in 1920x1080 is a bit of a strain on the eyes, but most apps can adjust the default font, like CB can.

I'm developing my #KrampusHack18 game exclusively on XP. With the binaries I built on my laptop. Beat that. :-*

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Honestly XP was nice in a lot of ways. And 10 actually made several things in the control panel harder to find. For example, network adapter settings. It seems like 3 or 4 hoops to jump through to find it now. XP worked, and it worked pretty well with SP1 and especially by SP3. Vista and 8 were disasters. 7 was pretty good I found. For every up of 10 there's also a down.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I meant it was crap in terms of stability. Most iterations of Windows have stability issues (BSoD and the like), though Windows 7 was pretty good and (for the most part) so is Windows 10. I remember lots of crashes on XP, Vista, and some on 8, but not many on 7 or 10.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

If my memory serves me I think BSOD's were pretty common on XP, but still much less common than previous iterations. In that sense, it was still a huge improvement over past versions of Windows. That said,... It still lags far behind Linux even today. :P

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Blue Screens of Death are directly caused by hardware driver failure. My Windows 10 laptop has had a couple of stop errors, but nothing too serious. They were somewhat more common with XP, but that's because it was younger. I haven't had any problems with XP for a while now.

Of course I'm never going to update my graphics drivers again, but w/e I don't play the latest games on here anyway. All legacy stuff, which is still pretty fun once in a while.

EDIT
Here comes another page in the chapters of this thread! Better be worth it! >:(

Go to: