Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I was thinking the same thing when I read it. That's not how locks work, but funny nonetheless.

A better mechanism would have a fake lock there with no key, and when it is unlocked all it does is trigger an alarm and notify the police/alarm company. :D

Meanwhile, the real locks would be disguised and/or wireless.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Or have it so that if the locks are not opened in the correct order, when you unlock one out of order, it locks the rest again. 8-)

Edit: Hmmm... that would be easy enough to circumvent though... I think I like your alarm idea better. ;)

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Is it me or does allegro.cc's 'recent threads' view look a lot more healthy than usual? Did Allegro get some publicity? :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

More people working on stuff. That would be my guess.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Just watched this and I want to make almost all of these! :)

video

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Jesus Christ, that's a lot of butter and salt! I just use a teaspoon or so of margarine, spice with some onion powder, garlic powder towards the end of the cooking cycle, and pepper after it's off the heat entirely (since pepper can be burned), and it works just fine without lots of butter/margarine or salt, which pretty much just clog up your heart valves and kill you.

I just scramble them in the pan because it's fewer dishes, yields more variety and chaos which are good things to appreciate and enjoy (this is a secondary observation more than a motivation or deciding factor), and saves time too. Pretty much, because I'm lazy and don't care to have a perfect mixture. My finacée hates eggs, and even the smell of them sends her running, so I mostly make them while working from home when she's at work (and try to cleanse the air before she gets home). Since I'm working at the time, it helps to save the extra time by skipping the bowl step (and then washing the bowl after).

On a side note, I have also tried cooking scrambled eggs in the microwave several times. It totally works. The only complaint that I have from it is that it's so involved that it doesn't really save you any effort, and the eggs tend to stick to the bowl or mug you make them in so they're kind of messy to clean up after. It comes off easily enough if you rinse them right after consumption, but the eggs tend to stick to your scrub pad or whatever. Of course, if you are eating them from a plate or bowl after it might not matter as much, but we use paper plates because reasons. No good reasons, but mostly laziness, and lack of ambition to keep up with another set of dishes.

If you do wish to attempt the microwave method, pretty much just mix the eggs up (break yolk, mix the white and yolk together) in some kind of appropriately sized dish, like a coffee mug or cereal bowl, put them in the microwave for about a minute, carefully flip over the half-cooked mold, and cook for another 30 seconds, flip and repeat the 30-second cook times and flipping until you're satisfied with the texture.

The steam to cook the fried egg without flipping is interesting. I'll have to give that a try. Usually I flip it once the white has set enough so you can touch it without going through it (like a ghost!), but once its flipped you pretty much have to take it off after about a minute or so or you'll begin cooking the yolk. Which is fine too. I don't mind a cooked yolk, but the ideal is sort of a warm, liquid yolk.

I've only attempted hard-boiled eggs a few times, and every time I cooked the yolk through. Which is OK, but perhaps not the ideal. Mostly I don't bother because it's a fair bit of extra work to consume the eggs, and it usually results in eggs being left over for Miranda to smell and hate me for. I just don't really see the point. Also, I don't think I'm much of a fan of eating eggs cold.

As an aside, something that they didn't mention is egg-drop soup. Something that I had never heard of until I was Googling. Of course, I could never eat eggs as a child because I sort of had an allergic reaction to them. It was until I was about 24 or 25 that I realized that I could have them. In any case, egg-drop soup is basically some kind of brothy soup where you drop the egg white and yolk into the already hot/boiling ish water and give them a minute or so to basically cook. The result is basically just a goo of cooked egg floating at the top of the soup. I tried it once, and I liked it. It's a bit of a weird texture if you aren't used to it, but it's good if you like eggs. The Internet will have better advice for achieving good results than I can since I've attempted it so few times, but I don't recall ever failing. I think it's hard to fail at it.

While we're on the subject of cooking, something I've recently discovered is that boiling meats is pretty awesome. Obviously barbecuing them is kind of the standard cooking method (ignoring frying since that typically adds oil/fat/heart attacky stuff). What I really love about boiling meat is that it's really hard to screw it up. Whereas barbecue pretty much requires you to learn the quirks of your device, and what works for you, and generally babysit the food while cooking, the boiling method pretty much lets you walk away. Unless you wait so long that the water all evaporates you pretty much can't burn boiled meat. It also happens to produce very flavorful broth/water that you can consume separately if desired. One can argue that you lose some of the flavor from the meat, but generally speaking I find it doesn't really hurt much. It's a reasonable trade-off for the convenience and reliability. And if you consume the broth/water you get it all back.

I really like to boil bacon. Again, this comes in handy when I'm working from home. Instead of babysitting a frying pan of splattering oil I can pretty much forget about it for 20 minutes, return, and eat. Of course, the result is not the typical slightly burned, solid strips. You instead get soft strips. To each his own. Sometimes I'll boil first to ensure they're cooked, and then I'll briefly fry them to get them a more rigid texture. Another potential advantage of this is that some of the oil drains away into the water so you can avoid some of that extra potential harm to your heart.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

We usually eat our eggs in the form of an egg with a cheese slice on a toasted English muffin, or we have an Egg in a Basket (search for it on Youtube).

We also like poached egg on toast. We bought this microwave container for cooking eggs in the microwave we have used at times and it works really well for the poached eggs on toast.

As for butter/margarine and salt clogging your arteries, my wife and I don't inject that into our veins so we'll be fine. I prefer margarine, she likes butter.

Lately we've been using a non-stick pan + some oil for our eggs.

I'm not overly concerned about my health other than avoiding meats the Bible says not to eat. I don't really want to live too long in this world anyhow and I have already outlived my mother (who died at 49, I am 53 now). Got a long ways to go to match my dad's age though.

---

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Which meats does the Bible ban?

Also, which religion(s) ban pork and why? Embarrassingly I don't know :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Which meats does the Bible ban?

See Leviticus 11 (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+11&version=NIV). In summary, basically all scavenger type of animals is a good rule of thumb that they are "unclean" (or in modern terms; "unhealthy") to eat.

The way to tell, is they have to have a split hoof and "chew the cud", which is an herbivore with more than one stomach like a cow, a deer, a sheep. This is why pigs don't qualify.

For fish, they have to have both fins and scales, which rules out things like catfish, lobster etc.

I found a study online a while back which listed a long list of "processed meats" which they found were cancer causing. So they blamed the processing of them. When I looked at the meats listed, every one of them was a pork product, which I found fascinating that nobody even considered that may be what is bad for you.

I personally decided to stop eating these things many years ago and I feel my health has benefited from it. I never had a flu shot in my life and I don't get the flu or even colds at all anymore. And seeing as how there is cancer on both sides of my family, I want to avoid that too.

---

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Thanks for the detailed reply :)

One thing I don't quite understand: the first half of your post seems to suggest that the unclean/unhealthy ones are the cow, deer and sheep; yet the second half of your post says pork is the bad (cancer-causing) one?

For what it's worth, personally I grew up eating chicken and fish but not much else and nothing on four legs. My mum has the same rule and I copied her after not liking the 'meat' in a McDonald's burger (yes, I know, in hindsight). Eventually I decided to overcome it and try some other meats, starting with a chicken and bacon sandwich, and I'm glad I did; but I still find I don't want them very often, especially the heavy ones like (non-minced) beef.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I'm not much a fan of pork. I prefer turkey for sandwiches and the like. Although I do enjoy the occasional crispy bacon and Spam...

Neil Roy said:

And seeing as how there is cancer on both sides of my family, I want to avoid that too.

If you live long enough, you're bound to get cancer eventually. I hope you get checked for prostate cancer every now and again.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

{"name":"bible-contradictions-311.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/f\/1faf8e5eaaff2b8d76293d6841175378.jpg","w":640,"h":640,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/f\/1faf8e5eaaff2b8d76293d6841175378"}bible-contradictions-311.jpg

https://atheistpapers.com/2014/04/30/bible-contradictions-31-can-we-eat-animals/comment-page-1/

I'm not a huge fan of pork chops, but if you simmer them in mushroom soup they're awesome. :D I enjoy ham and bacon too. Pork is good in sausage or meatballs too. Pork can be awesome. And sure, it's not very healthy for you, but neither is beef. At least, not if you over do them.

I generally try to prefer chicken because it's not as bad for you, but it's a bit more of a pain to prepare (at least, the fresh stuff) so we often look to beef and sausage to make things easier.

As for fish, I've eaten lobster a few times, but haven't yet had a great experience (but was too cheap to just order it prepared by a proper chef yet). I do enjoy shrimp and some other seafood that probably doesn't meet the Bible's requirements. I've eaten eel, octopus, and squid sashimi (along with some normal fish that might fit the Bible's rules). :P The octopus sashimi is kind of tasteless, I found, and squid always has a texture I'm not a fan of. Eel is quite nice.

I've also eaten snails and mussels. Pretty good stuff.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

That image is of the usual facebook quality. ::)

Romans is the new testament. New testament supersedes the old testament unless you're this thing called "Jewish."

And the reason ALL major religions banned things like pork was because the meat was (and still is?) unhealthy for you. Pigs are disgusting. They spread disease. Especially in olden times.

It wasn't "You go to hell for eating meat." It's "Don't eat meat because you'll get sick."

Quote:

Paul the Apostle, drawing on Deuteronomy 30:11–14, claimed that the keeping of the Mosaic covenant was superseded by faith in Jesus and the gospel (the New Covenant).[29]

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Book_of_Deuteronomy#/Christianity

For example, Jesus straight up throws the old testament in the trash during his "Testament on the Mount."

Quote:

source of serious dispute and controversy since its inception, such as Jesus' expounding of the Law during his Sermon on the Mount,

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Mosaic_covenant#/Christianity

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

That image is of the usual facebook quality. ::)

Romans is the new testament. New testament supersedes the old testament unless you're this thing called "Jewish."

And the reason ALL major religions banned things like pork was because the meat was (and still is?) unhealthy for you. Pigs are disgusting. They spread disease. Especially in olden times.

It wasn't "You go to hell for eating meat." It's "Don't eat meat because you'll get sick."

Quote:

Paul the Apostle, drawing on Deuteronomy 30:11–14, claimed that the keeping of the Mosaic covenant was superseded by faith in Jesus and the gospel (the New Covenant).[29]

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Book_of_Deuteronomy#/Christianity

For example, Jesus straight up throws the old testament in the trash during his "Testament on the Mount."

Quote:

source of serious dispute and controversy since its inception, such as Jesus' expounding of the Law during his Sermon on the Mount,

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Mosaic_covenant#/Christianity

Also, back to food. I literally just ate Bison tacos. They're !@#$ing delicious.

{"name":"6NR2B1l.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/40678b117b671e3d0f04967dffcad71d.jpg","w":1152,"h":864,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/0\/40678b117b671e3d0f04967dffcad71d"}6NR2B1l.jpg

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

God, a long time ago said:

Hello.

I'm your all-knowing, all-powerful God. I wrote you a book so that you know what to do and what not to do.

God, 400 years later said:

Hello.

It's me again.

I wrote a new book with revised rules.

Why didn't I just write one book with all the rules the first time? I HAVE A PLAN, AND WE MUST STICK TO THE PLAN! >:( If you don't know I'm not going to tell you!

Append:

Those tacos look great. :D

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Sorry bambam, you're wrong again. :P

Matthew 5:17-19 said:

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Not trying to spark a debate, though that seems inevitable in here. Eat what you feel is right. I'm just saying what I eat, what I avoid and what my personal reasons are.

To each his own. At 53, I had type 2 diabetes, and now I don't. I no longer get colds or flues even though I never had a shot or took meds for either. So I feel this has worked for me. I would hope that others would at least consider this as I don't like to see anyone suffer, but I won't debate my own personal choices.

One thing I don't quite understand: the first half of your post seems to suggest that the unclean/unhealthy ones are the cow, deer and sheep; yet the second half of your post says pork is the bad (cancer-causing) one?

I just reread my reply and I can see where you would be confused by that, sorry. I meant that the cow, deer and sheep are examples of clean animals those verses describe as healthy to consume and the pig is not, which matches examples in studies of pork products found to have evidence they can cause cancer and otherwise weaken your immune system.

As for the rest of the debating... I'll stay out of it. I only stated why I don't do pork, I shouldn't have to worry about mentioning that I got my dietary ideas from the Bible in here and it turning into a debate, but it often does, which is too bad, but I am not ashamed of my beliefs.

Have a good one.

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Sorry bambam, you're wrong again. :P

Debating the Bible with believers is like debating with a woman. There's no logic or reasoning behind it. You just always "lose" apparently. Maybe that's the true purpose of the contradictions in the Bible. You can never win a debate because as soon as you use the Bible as evidence for something they can turn to a contradicting verse to counter it! At least in their deluded mind. ;)

Neil Roy said:

...which matches examples in studies of pork products found to have evidence they can cause cancer and otherwise weaken your immune system

I think it's actually processed meat like ham and bacon that cause cancer, not pork specifically. Hot dogs, sausage, and sandwich meat also fall into the category of processed meat, many of which are not made with pork.

{"name":"Meat-Causes-Cancer-Cancer-Research-UK-460x543.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/7\/775e338baba462184157c9736f02baa4.jpg","w":460,"h":543,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/7\/775e338baba462184157c9736f02baa4"}Meat-Causes-Cancer-Cancer-Research-UK-460x543.jpg

Unless you have evidence to the contrary. Regular pork is given the same classification as beef and lamb. Based on that you'd have to give up burgers and steak too!

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

bamccaig said:

Hot dogs ... are not made with pork.

Well duh, they're made of dogs!

{"name":"20081209-hot-dog.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/d\/3d307e12717696939d1513d5b47a9c1b.jpg","w":500,"h":375,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/d\/3d307e12717696939d1513d5b47a9c1b"}20081209-hot-dog.jpg

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I watched a video of a cat eating a rabbit. I had never seen such a thing and expected something like a lion eating an antelope. Find your way to the precious organs, eat those, and then eat the rear end basically. Nope. What does a house cat do eating a fucking rabbit? Eats the fucking head, skull and all first. YouTube it. It's a bit disturbing, and a bit cool.

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Back on-topic:

I've found a lot of threads closed that I can't answer. :'(

That's all. Thanks for your attention. Now you can back to the off-topic.

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I watched Deep Space 9 almost to the end now. Good gosh, it's atrocious.

It takes still the FIFTH SEASON before there's any real urgency. The main threat the Dominion is not really a big deal at all. They kill off Dax in the 6th season, and then "bring her back" as a new actress which then spends MANY episodes of the LAST SEASON... building an entire new character while neglecting all the others.

The best character on the show... isn't from DS9. It's Worf and he's not in it till like Season 3. It adds some great depth to Ferangi's and Klingon cultures. But that's about it.

Every Bajoran episode is a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME, and the show is hilariously sympathetic to terrorism in the ham-fisted "Space Jews vs Space Muslims in Gaza Strip" plotlines which does not age well with 9/11 happening only a couple years later.

Almost every episode ends with a "reset button" so there's almost no arcs. It's like a sitcom, but with no laughing.

They took one of the best villains, Gul Dukat, and then basically turn him into a laughable X-files, magical miniboss. They almost LITERALLY call him "Space Hitler" at one point too. So much for the nuance that the Cardassians were supposed to be known for.

"Deep Sleep 9" is pretty dang applicable. (General Martok is amazing, though.)

Meanwhile, I have watched TWO. Count them, TWO, episodes of Babylon 5 now. And I'm blown away by how interesting it is. The very first episode has like three arcs starting, and the second episode continues one and introduces people who HARVEST SOULS and the actor's performance is so great he deserves an award. It's a group of beings that can tell when people are going to die, and their religion tells them they must capture the soul (instead of letting them go to heaven in the creature's religion!) to "save" it from dying and they're universally feared and hated. It's wonderful.

And I say this as someone who HATED Babylon 5 because the CG was super-ugly (early CG shows), the costume and set designs looked super unbelievable. But as an adult now, it's definitely got my scifi eyes perking up and I'm hopeful it continues to get better. (As many B5 fans say it does.)

I'm also watching Star Trek TOS and once again, it's still far more watchable. Plenty of hot girls in miniskirts, people punching each other, and Twilight Zone esk plots.

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Loved Babylon 5 back in the day and as for Star Trek series, I disliked Voyager when it first came out, but surprisingly it ended up being my favourite of all the series. It just had good characters, good writing and lots of funny moments. It got much better after the first season.

I didn't like the idea of Deep Space 9 when it came out and that didn't change later on. I will never understand how DS9 went 7 seasons and Enterprise, which was much better in every respect did not. I loved Quark's character on DS9, that's about it.

Such is life I guess. If it's good, they cancel it, if it's crap, it never ends.

---

Go to: