Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

voyeurism

He knows if you've been sleeping... if he knows if you've been bad...

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

bamccaig said:

Time has been going faster since I turned ~18

LMAO, oh man, wait until you hit my age, at 53 each year is what a month used to feel like in the past. ;)

I was just talking to my wife and telling her that anymore, by the time I figure out what I want to do each day, it's time to go to bed again. ;D

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Neil Roy said:

LMAO, oh man, wait until you hit my age, at 53 each year is what a month used to feel like in the past. ;)

I'm not even 40 and I'm already feeling that.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm almost at the point already. I'll often refer to things that happened in the past in conversation, assuming it was a couple of month ago, and my lovely (younger) finacée has to inform me that it was actually 2 years ago. :P

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

I read somewhere that the main reason it feels like time flies isn't because each day is proportionally smaller compared to your age, but rather that when you were younger you experienced new things more often. When you get older you establish a routine, eg wake up, go to work, work, go home, sleep, rinse and repeat and thus weeks just fly away and suddenly years have gone by, all of them being kinda the same. So, I guess the best thing to do is to try to experience new things in life and your life will feel like it's longer :)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

That makes logical sense for sure. Of course, I'm not sure if alcohol or other mild-altering substances also "help" the time feel like it passes faster. :P I enjoy a healthy dose of something new and exciting, but those tend to be a bit expensive (even if just paying for the petrol). Not inhibitively so, but it would be if you wanted something new every day or and even once every weekend represents a noticeable hit to the annual income. Well, petrol is cheaper in the US than it is in Canada. I can save almost half by filling up my tanks in Michigan (but I have to pay about $8 in tolls to get there so the savings take a small hit). And if you did something new every weekend where I live I think you'd still get bored of the options within a few years. For people that live in an exciting location they probably have endless choice, but on the other hand their quality of life suffers for other reasons so I'm not sure it balances out. I imagine that once you take on responsibilities like kids the fast-forward helps you to get through it, though I imagine the tape starts playing in slow-motion for the first few years. The only concern then is what are you missing that you wish you weren't. But such is life. We don't get to figure it all out, and most of what we figure out we're too late. :P

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I don't mind time flying by so fast too much. Nor am I worried about the end of this life. The only regret I will have is not being able to have children. That would have been nice to experience. We would have had grandchildren by now. But such is life.

I do have something to look foreward to though.

Warning: religious beliefs in spoiler. ;)

The coming kingdom of God, where life will not have limits anymore. The world will be a much better place with all sorts of evil finally gone and everything restored the way God meant it to be. He also states that he has things prepared for people who obey Him that nobody could imagine.

Whether you believe or not, is up to you. I do and look forward to it as I see events prophesied unfolding in this world.

Not preaching, just giving my reasons for not worrying and why I look forward to what is to come.

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

With budget boards now on the market, I can finally begin buying parts to build a new PC. I plan on gutting my current PC for its GPU, PSU, and HDD. I'll be buying a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, and case though.

Here's what I'll gut:

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC 6GB
HDD: Generic Toshiba 1TB @ 7200 RPM
PSU: Ultra LSP 550W ATX

Here's what I'll buy:

CPU: Intel Core i5-8400
RAM: 16GBs DDR4 @ 2666 MHz
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360M DS3H

What do you guys think of that setup? It'll be a nice upgrade from my current setup (AMD FX-4300 with 8GBs DDR3 @ 1600 MHz on an old Gigabyte board in an ugly case). My only concern is the price of RAM. It's so expensive these days. :o But hopefully I'll be able to sell what's leftover from my current setup to make up for it.

Edit:

Any suggestions on RAM? Any brands to avoid?

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I was going to upgrade, then I looked at the costs and I thought, maybe it's time to build an old DOS system instead. ;) I doubt I will be upgrading anytime soon, not when prices are so insane.

The bonus is, if I can make something run on my system, odds are it will run on anyone's! :)

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Graphics cards and RAM are expensive right now, but most other things are fairly inexpensive (relatively speaking). The blame for the current price of graphics cards can be put at least somewhat on cryptocurrency miners. But that's quickly changing. My GPU, which I purchased last year for ~$240, was selling for ~$470 back in February, but is now selling for ~$330 on Amazon. So while it's still inflated, it has already decreased considerably since then. Now as for RAM, I can't place blame for that one away so easily.

I know you don't play a lot of more recent titles, but I do. The upgrades I'm aiming for should do me well for the next few years at least.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Just messing around with Bamccaig's Piano program. I found the piano notes had a large blank spot at the start of them which delayed playing the note too long, so I loaded them all into Audacity and clipped off the blank spot at the start and then played Amazing Grace on it. Worked nicely. ;)

video

I know you don't play a lot of more recent titles, but I do.

I did run into something I wish had ran a lot smoother recently. It's a Titanic game that is in the works and you can run the demo and tour the ship. It's fricken amazing in detail! Choppy on my system until I lowered the settings, still looks good. If you have a decent system, this looks really incredible at full quality.

Grab the Demo here **WARNING** It's a hefty download! But well worth it!
http://www.titanichg.com/demo/

video

video

---

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I'm in a position where I would like to try out VR stuff, but I need to build a new system. I do remember the Rift tester gave me 3 X's. Not only was my CPU and GPU not good enough, but the USB as well. Maybe I need something more than a PCI-e 1x slot card, in which case, with the mobo I have, I need a 1x GPU...

Seriously, that's the one thing I always hated about my motherboard. One PCI-e 16x slot, and a bunch of 1x slots (and a PCI slot because when I made the system, I had a PCI device I was using at the time)

Oh yeah! Valve's test only truly complained about the CPU, but it was more of a warning in that case as I think it said it might not be enough to have smooth framerates.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Roy said:

Just messing around with Bamccaig's Piano program.

That's cool. :)

Quote:

I found the piano notes had a large blank spot at the start of them which delayed playing the note too long, so I loaded them all into Audacity and clipped off the blank spot at the start...

I had noticed this as well. It occurred to me to do the same thing, but I didn't get around to trying it yet. It's nice to hear that it was that easy.

Quote:

...and then played Amazing Grace on it. Worked nicely. ;)

Nice job. :)

My overall goal was eventually to map out an entire piano to the keyboard, and potentially also advance to the point of mapping chords too. And of course, if I could find or make the notes and chords for different instruments it could be expanded to "play" other instruments. Though I'm not sure it would work as well for a guitar as for a piano.

Append:

What I really wanted to do was generate the notes/sounds instead of playing a sample, but I couldn't figure out how. I lack any kind of music theory and it wasn't the kind of thing that people that understand share freely. :P :-/

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Throw a keyboard graphic on the screen and then compile it for a touch device and they could tap the screen like a virtual keyboard. Perhaps record the sequence played then save as a completed song. ;)

I know nothing of music theory though and that is about the only thing I can play on a piano. :)

I liked the notes you chose for the piano sounds.

One thing though, when you let go of a key, it stops playing that note, and I don't think it should do that. I think once you tap it, the note should play until it is done. That would be more realistic. As it is, I had to hold the key down to ensure certain notes would play fully.

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I think that revised versions of the program are already going to work like that. I've stopped "stopping" the sounds so they should continue going. Which I agree, should sound better. Thing is, I appear to have a firmware or hardware glitch because I get noise when I test the program. That's part of why I lost motivation to keep going. I'm inclined to reinstall my primary OS, but then I have to set aside a weekend to backup whatever data I want to keep, etc. Make sure I'm not going to lose game progress or something like that. It's a whole thing.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Well, as you could hear, it worked perfectly for me. So it is probably hardware. My sound card is like most, built into my motherboard, nothing special. Your program isn't exactly taxing on your computer either.

Try samples at lower quality? I would experiment with that as well. <shrug> Pull out audacity and test different frequencies out and qualities too.

I'm running Windows 7, if that makes a difference.

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Where can I download the piano program?

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Thanks for the link, Edgar.

So I bought parts to build a new PC. I like to give my computers code names just for the fun of it. My current PC is named "Slave I" after Jango Fett's ship in Star Wars. My new one will be named "Orpheon" after the wrecked ship in Metroid Prime. :P

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

This came into my head today.

https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/597163/0

yipinx never did show up.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I built my new computer today. Here's my PassMark results: old and new. It's a nice improvement, though I have yet to test it in gaming.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

It looks like you forgot to buy a SSD!

Trust me. It will change your world. When I upgraded JUST my HDD to an SSD, it was like I upgraded my entire system to a new CPU/motherboard/etc.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

It's on my to-do list. I can only buy so much at a time. :P I'll probably pick one up in a few months. Any suggestions on brands and capacities?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Samsung is the "go to" but I basically just buy whatever is on sale and I've had great luck so far. Toshiba bought OCZ and improved their lines so they're a cheaper but decent brand.

-----sig:

Go to: