Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Time for an English lesson :)

"To lay" is a transitive verb, meaning it is only correct when you do it to something (to lay a patient down). Most of you should be writing "to lie". I assume the confusion is because of what happens in the past tense.

{"name":"588bfad9e25d4636ee399fd5074578c0--english-grammar-english-language.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/2\/22d67e10dfffee9d93b7358f386c707e.jpg","w":564,"h":423,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/2\/22d67e10dfffee9d93b7358f386c707e"}588bfad9e25d4636ee399fd5074578c0--english-grammar-english-language.jpg

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

All I see is eight words for "I got some." :o

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

You know, when someone tells a joke, it's usually best just to find the punchline rather than over analyzing it. ;)

All I see is eight words for "I got some." :o

;D

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

You guys should say what you really mean. :/

Eric Johnson said:

Try wearing it your vagina inside out next time. :P

I think he wants some?

bamccaig said:

{"name":"611205","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/8\/c8e324e7ae983a5dfd15523bd75c278a.png","w":677,"h":461,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/8\/c8e324e7ae983a5dfd15523bd75c278a"}611205

Must be an offer.

{"name":"611206","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/8\/987f09d2a767a59c2f516f54a793f7e6.jpg","w":600,"h":410,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/8\/987f09d2a767a59c2f516f54a793f7e6"}611206
The cake lieth underneath the frosting. Ooh, dirty!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

bamccaig said:

The cake, lieth GLaDOS.

{"name":"611207","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/4\/e40129451fc7606ca3392504115a6b9b.jpg","w":584,"h":289,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/4\/e40129451fc7606ca3392504115a6b9b"}611207

;D

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

bamccaig said:

Do you want babies?

Yes. I want enough babies to cover my entire body and use as armor. I'll be unstoppable! :D

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Chaotic good sounds like an oxymoron to me.

---

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

For chaotic good, you could imagine a person who wants the best for everyone but is always running around, getting distracted and forgetting everything :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Think Robin Hood. Ignores the law, does good anyway.

If you steal money from people and disobey the law... how is that good again? ;)

I very much doubt that the people who were robbed would see you as good.

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

On the other hand, most people don't consider the rich that were being robbed as good. So it's a gray area.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

bamccaig said:

On the other hand, most people don't consider the rich that were being robbed as good. So it's a gray area.

Is the money yours? Nope. So if you take that which does not belong to you, you're a thief and not good. Two wrongs do not make a right. There is no such thing as a "grey area". Thievery does not justify thievery. If the rich man stole his money (and most rich men I know of did not, they earned it, usually obsessed with making money), the money still does not belong to YOU and you are still not justified in stealing it yourself or you are no better than he is.

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

In Neverwinter Nights II or some such there was armor made from people's skin. It was +5 and turned you evil.

HAAHHA. I never knew that.

In Space Station 13, if you're the chef and throw enough people into the gibber (5+ meat, and 1 skin) you can sow the skins together and make a skin suit.

I was using the meat for spaghetti and meatballs but I forgot to cook the meat and people were just vomiting all over the station.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Neil Roy said:

Two wrongs do not make a right.

Yeah well, three lefts make a right.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Roy said:

Is the money yours? Nope. So if you take that which does not belong to you, you're a thief and not good. Two wrongs do not make a right. There is no such thing as a "grey area". Thievery does not justify thievery. If the rich man stole his money (and most rich men I know of did not, they earned it, usually obsessed with making money), the money still does not belong to YOU and you are still not justified in stealing it yourself or you are no better than he is.

Certainly if Robin Hood kept the money for himself he would be considered a bad character. However, he doesn't. He gives the money to people that need it. The rich man does not even need it. It's just a waste having the resources stacked up on him. That's the whole point of the narrative.

Where is your Jesus now? Probably getting wasted with Robin Hood. >:(

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Hahaha... leave it up to you guys to try turning this into something religious or political. Not going there.

Just saying, stealing is not good. Therefore, chaotic good is an oxymoron as you cannot be chaotic AND good, the two are polar opposites. If you steal, you're not good, I don't care who you give the stolen loot to, you still stole them. And now, not only are you a thief, but the people you have given the stolen loot to, at least in my country, could be charged with possession of stolen goods if they are caught with it, so you're even more evil for causing them trouble! :)

But... I guess nobody in here will mind if I break into your homes and steal all you worked for, so long as I give it away to the poor right? ;D

---

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil, lighten up!
{"name":"SWAlignmentchart.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/5\/3581fa9e86cece4f0f4d169b5a9d679c.jpg","w":1000,"h":796,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/5\/3581fa9e86cece4f0f4d169b5a9d679c"}SWAlignmentchart.jpg

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Neil Roy said:

Therefore, chaotic good is an oxymoron as you cannot be chaotic AND good, the two are polar opposites.

In D&D chaotic just means that the person is more of a lone wolf than a party player. If laws are just a chaotic good character will follow them, but if the laws are evil, such as say, the decrees of Sauron, than a CG character will not follow them.

edit:

In D&D the polar opposite of good is evil, and the polar opposite of chaotic is lawful.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Neil, lighten up!

Says the guy who felt the need to insert his "Trump" attack on a totally unrelated topic. Take your own advice!

LennyLen said:

In D&D the polar opposite of good is evil, and the polar opposite of chaotic is lawful.

Yeah, I understand D&D, I used to play it with friend, great fun with a few beer. But, being able to have something like unlawful good for example just never made sense to me... but that's why it's just a game I guess.

I used to play a thief in our group so long ago, had some good times.

---

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Neil Roy said:

But, being able to have something like unlawful good for example just never made sense to me...

I remembering struggling with the idea when I first started playing as a kid. Then I reconciled the two by envisioning a scenario where following the law would cause a good person to die, so being good, I would have to break the law in order to be able to do the right thing.

Another good example from your own country's history is the people who helped the underground railroad to smuggle slave out of the southern states. It was unlawful to do so, as it was technically theft, but they were doing good by freeing people condemned to slavery.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

LennyLen said:

Another good example from your own country's history is the people who helped the underground railroad to smuggle slave out of the southern states. It was unlawful to do so, as it was technically theft, but they were doing good by freeing people condemned to slavery.

That's a very interesting example! You make a good case for it.

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Lawful good, someone follows their morality but the rules come first. "Do not murder" trumps "stop a serial killer from possibly murdering another." Leave it to the courts.

Chaotic good, someone follows their own morality and will ignore the laws if necessary. Dexter/killing bad people.

(Of course it doesn't have to be as extreme as murder.)

Lawful evil, someone is a monster but still uses the laws and rules. Think sociopaths in positions of power like priests, CEOs, and government officials.

-----sig:

Go to: