Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I just don't think Facebook is the place to go if you want 'real' friendships.

Well, being "friends" on Facebook no more constitutes real friendship than "following" someone on Twitter makes one a stalker (at least not inherently). :P

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Yeah, I'm mad. Mad like a hatter. ;)

Haha nice. :)

Also, why'd you remove me on Facebook, Neil?

Because debating with your friends about everything I post is not something I enjoy. Actually, the other day I removed a couple people and quite a few pages (religious groups and news groups) as well as I grow weary of debating every post I make. I want to spend less time on Facebook arguing with people and more time programming. You're welcome to refriend if you wish, I don't consider Facebook any sort of gauge as to a genuine friendship. I guess I could have simply blocked all your friends who start up debates instead. <shrug> It's all a symptom of the time of year and how it negatively effects me I guess.

Speaking of programming, been reading a great series of tutorials on modern OpenGL which is very well written. Highly recommended.

https://learnopengl.com

Well, being "friends" on Facebook no more constitutes real friendship than "following" someone on Twitter makes one a stalker (at least not inherently). :P

Actually, I have more than double the people in followers on Facebook than I have friends, which I find funny for some reason. I think I have like, less than 80 friends (as opposed to my wife's over 400) and like over 170 followers.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Here's a thought. If Matthew would promise that this particular thread would never be locked, would the discussion die?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

If Matthew would promise that this particular thread would never be locked, would the discussion die?

No. This thread is eternal. My great grandchildren will participate in this thread. 8-)

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Yes >:(

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I started to warm up my son for THAT specific thread.

8-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

This thread will die when the post_id overflows and ML refuses to change to a 64 bit primary key. ;)

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

#RoadTo2147483647

That's right ML, I know you sign your ints >:(

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Derezo said:

This thread will die when the post_id overflows and ML refuses to change to a 64 bit primary key. ;)

Then Amarillion will start another thread called "Threads lock too soon 2: Electric Boogaloo".

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Apparently the exploit is read-only access. You wouldn't be able to fix it anyway. :P But you could potentially steal the code and the database and create a cloned site and fix it there. :D

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Then Amarillion will start another thread called "Threads lock too soon 2: Electric Boogaloo".

LMAO! ;D

---

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I could sure go for a little of that global warming we were promised now. -22C out today, windchill factor is around -32C I think. I have frost and ice on the inside of my window today! :o

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

My desktop's wireless adapter completely died two nights ago. I screwed around with it for a bit this evening seeing if I could resurrect it, but no dice. :(

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Roy said:

I could sure go for a little of that global warming we were promised now. -22C out today, windchill factor is around -32C I think. I have frost and ice on the inside of my window today! :o

Sounds like your house has shitty insulation. Or maybe just the windows are outdated. :( That must be expensive to heat.

"Global warming" is actually just "climate change", and I think you could agree that this is pretty extreme weather.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Quote:

Or maybe just the windows are outdated. :( That must be expensive to heat.

It's an old apartment building I am in. It's not too bad lately, it's heated okay. There are a few drafty spots and in my computer room it appears like the foundation has settled in such a way that the window frames are slightly warped, barely noticeable, but I think it leaves enough of a gap to let a tiny amount of air in.

Normally it's not a problem, but the temps here are currently around -25C so, when it gets that cold, it can become noticeable! ;)

Our heating is a gas heat furnace with the older water pipes that go through the place (they make a noise when they head up). Thankfully I don't pay for heat, only electricity.

We have had record low temps all across Canada (and the USA) the past week. It's been crazy cold.

My desktop's wireless adapter completely died two nights ago. I screwed around with it for a bit this evening seeing if I could resurrect it, but no dice. :(

a moment of silence RIP ;)

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

What happens when the post count on this thread overflows the current year? Will we start predicting the future? ???

Yes, but only the future of an alternate universe.

Neil Roy said:

It's been crazy cold.

Have you considered getting a Snuggie?

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Have you considered getting a Snuggie?

I have a wife, she's plenty warm. :)

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Roy said:

It's an old apartment building I am in. It's not too bad lately, it's heated okay. There are a few drafty spots and in my computer room it appears like the foundation has settled in such a way that the window frames are slightly warped, barely noticeable, but I think it leaves enough of a gap to let a tiny amount of air in.

Normally it's not a problem, but the temps here are currently around -25C so, when it gets that cold, it can become noticeable! ;)

Our heating is a gas heat furnace with the older water pipes that go through the place (they make a noise when they head up). Thankfully I don't pay for heat, only electricity.

We have had record low temps all across Canada (and the USA) the past week. It's been crazy cold.

I also live in an apartment. We have electric heat with our own thermostat, and utilities are included so it doesn't cost us anything. Usually we don't even need to turn our heat on, but with these temperatures I have had it nearly cranked full in the living room.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

bamccaig said:

but with these temperatures I have had it nearly cranked full in the living room.

Yup! When it his -25C or below I found I had to crank it up a little to maintain a comfort level. Housecoat came in handy as well. :)

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I got used to wearing a blanket because in the summer we have the A/C running right next to my computer desk. It comes in handy during the winter months too so I just wear it all year round. :)

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Funny, I had my fan on the other night when it was really cold out because there was no way I was going to lower the heat!!! ;)

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

We always have a big steel fan blowing in the bedroom when we sleep because in the summer you need it (the A/C isn't powerful enough), and then you get used to the very loud noise and it's too quiet without it. ;D

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Yeah, we live next to a street that is as busy as a highway, so we get used to the noise. The fan isn't too bad. It's a big one though. No A/C in our place, but lots of fans.

It's funny as my wife will have a friend over that stays over night and she lives in a quiet area, I am a late nighter so she will pop into my computer room telling me about every noise she hears. :D

I warned her about our neighbour's cat, it loves to run back and forth above us. We love hearing it tearing through the house.

Edit: Been following a great tutorial on Modern OpenGL (learnopengl.com) and it's getting really interesting, and very easy to do this. Just created this with specular light maps (the shiney parts of the crates) and a point light. Neat stuff, all using shaders which are easy, modern OpenGL, not old immediate mode stuff. Pure awesomeness! :D

{"name":"611194","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/5\/c56411813895b429c3e52ce278753562.jpg","w":791,"h":594,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/5\/c56411813895b429c3e52ce278753562"}611194

---

Go to: