Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Wow, yeah, I noticed the problem sometimes getting it to pick the right item I am trying to loot. Then there are items that "stick to me" as if I picked them up.

But, I got the game not long ago on sale, so I didn't pay much for it and haven't played it much. Actually this is the first in the series I have played much at all.

I'm not crazy about a weight limit. Certainly in real life one could not carry that much but... this is not real life, it's a game. We'll see how long I play t his, not sure yet. Still walking around on foot so far. I'm used to the World of Warcraft style gameplay.

Not crazy about how the magic spells and weapons are equipped and used. Seems to be an awfully convoluted series of steps, and I have to unequip my sword to cast a spell etc...

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Neil Roy said:

this is not real life, it's a game.

I can send a frost giant flying through the air but I better not pick up this extra mace!

;D

Don't get me wrong, if you enjoy it ... ENJOY IT. Enjoy the hell out of it. That's just my frustration with it.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I also increased my carrying capacity through the console to insane amounts. Otherwise, you literally spend hours and hours carrying valuable loot back to town to sell it. I'm an adult, and I don't have time to just grind away like that. It's not fun, and there's really no good reason to do it. The only reason for it is that there is no more reasonable way to earn money in the game to afford the purchases of stuff you need. But a much better game mechanic would be, arrive in a town, and accept jobs/quests that pay well enough to fund your life as an adventurer. I digress. The game is pretty good, but it gets way better once you free yourself of the burden of a limited carrying capacity. Life is too short.

And yes, Skyrim is riddled with serious bugs. Several quests are impossible to complete properly, or you can run into various other breakages. There are some mods to fix what can be fixed. That said, it's also a pretty awesome game. I imagine it's a lot of code, and it's probably incredibly difficult to track down these kinds of bugs simply because the code probably turned into a disaster after a few years. It probably demonstrates why certain coding practices are bad for quality/correctness reasons, but then again, the game shipped and was very successful despite the bugs so I guess it's a moot point.

But certainly anybody playing Skyrim should be using the mod manager and install any mods that look useful or fun. You can greatly improve the game with mods. It's really great that they build the games in such a way that they can be so easily modded.

I tried to avoid companions at first, but in the beginning I basically just found that I needed a companion to survive. The battles were completely unbalanced. I could kill a few of the bandits, but eventually they'd get me. You can only be so stealth when most of the baddies are all in the same room. :P

Lydia is a beast. On top of being pretty beautiful and nice to look at, she totally kicks ass. She saved me so many times, and in the beginning she was actually killing more bandits than I was. I'd get knocked down and have to run away to heal up, and she'd just be slaying them left and right. The thing is, I think she was invincible (unlike some of the companions) so the most the baddies could do is knock her down onto her knees where she'd stay for a minute or two before her health regenerated. Typically, by then I had either won the fight, or been killed and had to reload. It was also just nice to have her around. That said, it's been a few years, but I thought that you could control the companions to some extent.. You can tell them not to fight and I think they listen decently. But there are bugs in the game too. The NPCs automatically enter a battle mode if you've been "discovered", and sometimes this would happen for no good reason due to bugs. That's frustrating, but you learn to live with it. The game is so huge that you really shouldn't obsess over those details too much or you'll miss out on all of the cool things that the game has to offer. I believe that it's best to use your imagination to fill in the blanks with video games. Video games can only do so much. You need to invent some back story and things to justify some of the immersion breaking sometimes. Basically, just pretend that didn't happen, and move on. :)

Append:

Depending on the weapon you are carrying you can equip a magic spell onto the other hand IIRC. Of course, I must have picked the wrong race for magic because I found magic to be next to useless throughout the game. I ended up predominantly kicking ass with a shield and sword. :) And enjoyed it thoroughly.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

bamccaig said:

I'm an adult, and I don't have time to just grind away like that.

Exactly! I've done it for DOZENS of games. I'm over 30 now. I want content.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I haven't touched Skyrim in a while, but I don't recall ever encountering any broken quests. My only gripe with Skyrim's loot is that most towns didn't have enough gold on hand to purchase most of my junk, so I'd end up just dropping good loot that I didn't want in caves to free up space.

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Quite few times in Skyrim, I've had to use the console to either advance the quest or reset it completely.

I hate grind in games.

And for Skyrim, there is a new update or mod I've heard about that adds hunger and weather effects. Meaning that now you have to eat regularly and worry about the cold. It might seem more realistic, but just sounds like more grind.

Haven't Skyrim played in a while, but one mod I really love is the Leveler's tower mod.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

At least food was pretty plentiful in Skyrim. I don't think you'd often struggle to eat. I don't know what you could do about being cold though. Other than seek shelter. But I agree, I don't think it would really add enjoyment to the game. It would probably just be a pain point. But I guess if you're still playing Skyrim this many years later you must have to get imaginative to keep it fun. :) I think I have over 700 hours in Skyrim, but I haven't played it in probably over 5 years by now.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I used the SkyUI mod which made the interface actually keyboard/mouse compatible instead of the insanity console based inventory screen of "here's two lists. go die in a fire.--Bethesda".

I also used some HD texture/model upgrades. I added some companion controller mod, and some general "fix the story bugs" mod, and that horse inventory mod. But in the end I just ditched the companions (because stealth is broken with them) and upped my weight limit (because I'm an adult, not a kid playing Farmville).

{"name":"788205-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-playstation-3-screenshot-weapons.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/4\/b4f844c5f8d20cd05f259b2dc9b01685.jpg","w":1280,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/4\/b4f844c5f8d20cd05f259b2dc9b01685"}788205-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-playstation-3-screenshot-weapons.jpg

Vs this, for example:

{"name":"N8Prj.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/b\/6b7acb51a390e0f10212f2a2a291e865.jpg","w":1920,"h":1200,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/b\/6b7acb51a390e0f10212f2a2a291e865"}N8Prj.jpg

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Well, one console command I discovered (and I don't know too many and have almost no mods installed) is:

player.additem 0000000f <amount of gold you want>

I have been trying to avoid this sort of thing, but if need be, I may add in gold needed once in a while to advance without grinding. Or try the inventory thing. Lately I have been trying to do it fairly by increasing my stamina which increases the amount I can carry, but only by a small amount so... I dunno. My patience for these games isn't what it used to be. I may just cheat my way through it just to see more of the world. ;)

Exactly! I've done it for DOZENS of games. I'm over 30 now. I want content.

30... 30... trying to remember 30... oh yeah, that was around when I first started to learn C and Allegro, around 1995. LMAO

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Neil Roy said:

30... 30... trying to remember 30... oh yeah, that was around when I first started to learn C and Allegro, around 1995. LMAO

;D But you get what I'm saying. The older you get, the more of the SAME games you play... you're looking for unique experiences.

Walking back and forth is some MMO-level kind of grinding.

I'm "Supreme Overlord of Skyrim" and I can't get a guy to carry this stuff for me?!!?! In the entire country I can't find ONE GUY to tote this stuff back without me having to walk him to and from it? (Or just cast a spell that warps it to my house?)

-----sig:

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Word of warning for would-be achievement hunters: using console commands in Skyrim forfeits the potential to earn achievements on Steam.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Somehow I unlocked 84% of the achievements on Steam, and I'm pretty sure I increased my weight limit pretty early on (like, between Whiterun and the next town).

Side note: one of the best mods for Skyrim is CBBE. :P Of course, I played Skyrim before I had a live-in wimmins to get upset over that.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

bamccaig said:

Somehow I unlocked 84% of the achievements on Steam, and I'm pretty sure I increased my weight limit pretty early on (like, between Whiterun and the next town).

Maybe only certain console commands forfeit achievements then (like enabling God mode).

Quote:

Side note: one of the best mods for Skyrim is CBBE.

Is that the one that makes all the women look like dolls?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Is that the one that makes all the women look like dolls?

I guess that depends what you mean by "dolls". It's been a while and they're hidden unless you log in on NexusMods, and I forget my account details so I cannot verify, but if it's the one I meant then it pretty much just makes the women nude when you remove their armor/clothing items from their inventory. :-*

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Does it work on Argonians? :P

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Wouldn't you like to know? :-*

I don't really remember. I think it goes part way, but I don't think they were as nice to look at...

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Speaking of Argonians, there's an event that popped up on my Facebook account called "Argonian Genocide". It takes place on Christmas.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Does it work on Argonians? :P

It does... or so I've heard <shifty eyes>

In any event, I don't play it much, so when I do, I may just be cheating or I'll never finish it at the rate I am playing it, which is for a few hours every 6 months. ;D

---

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

So, it got warm enough to melt the snow from last week... Now I remember why it hasn't felt like winter the past few years, when it snows, it just melts a few days later.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

2016 was pretty mild, and I predicted it would be ahead of time due to sunspots which effect our temperatures. More sunspots = warmer weather (and earthquakes actually).

This year seems fairly mild so far, but I remember 2015, that had a lot of snow, it seemed like it would never end and we skipped summer altogether, it never got warm enough for it that year, at least not here in Canada. But, that's nature for you. Things fluctuate over time.

Of course, these winters are NOTHING compared to what we had in the 1970s when I was growing up. I still recall snowdrifts so large you could walk up one onto the roof of our public school. And maybe they are still that big at times, when you're young and shorter, everything seems larger. ;)

I'm more than happy to see the white crap melt, I am a summer guy.

---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Even up here in the relative "North" the winters aren't like they used to be, however, I'm happy to report that we are currently in a stable sea of snow. This year I really wish I had a snowmobile and wide open land to use it. :) I found myself watching motovlogs from a snowmobiler in Newfoundland filmed last year. It just looks awesome to be able to wander around freely into the wilderness. These days I park my computer on a desk in an apartment in a city with no spare parking and too far away from trails to access without loading onto a truck that mine is too small for. :P

Neil Roy said:

I still recall snowdrifts so large you could walk up one onto the roof of our public school.

Oh man, that brings back memories! Thank you!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Snow wonder people are worried about climate change.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I'll start worrying when the climate stops changing. ;) So long as it is changing, that means everything is normal.

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

The wireless signal in my home is pretty spotty in my room where my gaming desktop is. I've been using an Edimax wireless adapter, which works well enough, but it still falls out of reception every now and again, so now I'm thinking about getting an adapter with an adjustable antenna. This one looks pretty good, and is well-priced, too. Are any of you using one with an adjustable antenna? If so, any recommendations?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Have you considered getting a repeater to boost the signal? It's like a router that doesn't do any routing itself. It just forwards the traffic to the real router. I've never used one personally, but it sounds like what you need (if running a 100 ft cable along the walls isn't an option :D). On a side note, in college my networking instructor taught us that wireless signals spread further if they're up higher. I don't know how that works or if it even works, but perhaps moving the router to the highest point in the house would help (if possible).

Append:

Maybe this:

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-High-Power-Intelligent-Technology-RE6700/dp/B00UVN20YA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513975988&sr=1-3&keywords=wireless+range+extender+linksys

Go to: