Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

The main part of the new Mario game is SHORT!

So I've heard. HowLongToBeat.com has the game listed as taking an average of 11.5 hours to complete the main game, but 38.5 to do everything. But that's alright; Sunshine can be completed in 12-15 hours (main game), and it's a similar length of time for Super Mario 64.

Somehow, a switch seems unimpressive by comparison.

Yeah, consoles in general can't compete with a nice PC, but that's nothing new. I mostly like consoles for the exclusive titles.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Hey! A new page in the oldest thread around!

I pity the fool who reads this thread from the beginning.
{"name":"mr-t-real_2.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/2\/42ce5f5b7f655379cfbd36a524d7d291.jpg","w":468,"h":324,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/2\/42ce5f5b7f655379cfbd36a524d7d291"}mr-t-real_2.jpg

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I mostly like consoles for the exclusive titles.

That's actually a reason to despise consoles. It's a gimmick to force you to buy extra hardware. If you have a decent PC or a high-end gaming console it should be possible to run all of the games (software ports aside). In fact, often PC games are able to exceed limitations of consoles and present an even better quality experience, plus the ability for modding and the sort. PC is really the ultimate gaming platform.

An "exclusive" title basically just means that the console vendor needs to sell consoles and so they make deals with game developers/publishers to only release the game on one platform. It's vendor lock-in all over again.

What you mean is that you like some of the exclusive titles, and consoles are the only ways to play them, but you shouldn't like the arrangement, only the art/entertainment.

The worst part about consoles is that these days they aren't even reliable. You're lucky if the hardware lasts you 5 years before it literally fails, and the cost to repair them isn't economical either considering the repair job is half the price of a new console and may only last a year.

We as the consumers of games should refuse to agree to these terms. It's a shitty arrangement. Windows-only is even a shitty arrangement, but console-only is even worse. The more of us bow out of the console market the more the industry will have to adapt.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I agree with you bamccaig, but unless Nintendo changes anytime soon (which won't happen), I won't be able to play Metroid, Zelda, Pikmin, or Mario outside of Nintendo's own consoles. Now, there is the potential to emulate games on PC... but decent emulation is seldom made realized until the end of a system's life.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I mostly like consoles for the exclusive titles.

Me too. That's why I'm waiting for them to get cheap. :)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Me too. That's why I'm waiting for them to get cheap. :)

You'll be waiting for a while then. :o

I think the Wii U is Nintendo's best console. With it you can play Wii, Wii U, and (through some special trickery) GameCube games. Not to mention you can play NES, SNES, and DS (probably GB, GBC, and GBA too) games through the eShop's line of emulated titles. If you're interested in Wii or Wii U games, now's a good time to buy a Wii U.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I bought a Wii like a year or two ago for $10. :P I still haven't played Mario Galaxy yet.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I bought a Wii like a year or two ago for $10. :P I still haven't played Mario Galaxy yet.

Wow, that's such a low price! :o Galaxy is a lot of fun. Go play it now. >:(

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I might have to, given how many damn hackers I see every night in PUBG. >:( >:( >:(

-----sig:

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

You know what they say... can't beat 'em, join 'em. ;)

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Join the hackers? You're quackers.

o<
<_)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

The last console I owned was a PS1, and it was used, didn't play it much. Before that it was an Atari 2600. :)

Can't use the PS1 because of the crappy CD door broke and now won't shut.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Neil Roy said:

The last console I owned was a PS1, and it was used, didn't play it much. Before that it was an Atari 2600. :)

Do you still have your Atari 2600?

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Do you still have your Atari 2600?

I have it around somewhere. I think I have two of them actually, the older, larger model and the smaller slim one. Whether they work is another story. Got lots of carts for them (including the now famous ET one).

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Neil Roy said:

Got lots of carts for them (including the now famous ET one).

Your next project should be "Deluxe ET". :P

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I got my custom built water cooling setup made today.

{"name":"oc4YdUR.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/b\/cb340dcebeeb909eeeeeafa11aa36a81.jpg","w":1328,"h":747,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/b\/cb340dcebeeb909eeeeeafa11aa36a81"}oc4YdUR.jpg

8-)

It doesn't even need a fan. Well, the CPU doesn't, but I think my VRM module / northbridge overheats with no extra "dirty air" from what would normally be a CPU fan waste air. So I may need some sort of quiet, low flow to keep it from overheating.

That said, it's completely silent. The water pump creates almost no noise, just vibration, so as long as it's not touching anything (without vibration dampening--in this case just a shirt), it's quieter than even my PSU fan.

I put off using that car radiator for a later setup. So I'm currently using 2 x 380mm radiators. I've considered upping it to four for the heck of it. I think the flow rate may be too low though and the natural convection may be a limiting factor (gotta do more testing). A gentle, quiet fan breeze on those radiators would do wonders.

I've also considered putting the radiators outside during the winter. Imagine getting 0 degree F ambient temperature for your water cooling. :o I wonder if I'd run into condensation issues though.

One last issue is the interface between the cpu water block and the cpu is a little iffy. It's got pressure on it, but it's possible there's too little or too much thermal compound which allows the thermals to spike quickly but never go too far after that initial spike. So I'm wondering if there's an initial soak issue / high resistance layer (the physical interface between CPU and cooler) and once the delta_t rises high enough then the thermal conductivity evens out. (higher delta_t = higher heat flux)

[edit] OH, and lesson learned, I never put an official reservoir in it. Well, now I know why they have them, and why your car radiator cap is ALWAYS the highest point on the cooling system. Because air bubbles get trapped in EVERYTHING and will eventually end up at the highest point, so if you want to drain them you have to find some sort of plug you can open and have that plug at the highest point. Otherwise, you have to go to frustrating lengths to rotate the entire cooling system so that he air bubbles end up somewhere you can easily remove them. And then you unscrew it, and too much flows out and spews everywhere. Apparently 50/50 mix is very sticky. Ethyl-gylcol mix I believe it's called. It also smells super sweet. Like some sort of magical almost-glowing mountain dew. (Slurm, from Futurama?) No wonder kids and dogs die drinking the stuff.

-----sig:

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

My fridge has a water dispenser - it's all the water cooling I need :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Oh yeah, I basically did it for the fun. Not because I think it'll unlock some sort of magical CPU power.

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Your next project should be "Deluxe ET". :P

LMAO, don't tempt me! ;D

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I'd be curious to see a remake/clone/re-imagining of E.T. From the few gameplay videos I've seen of it on YouTube, I honestly don't know what the real objective is. I guess you're looking for something in the game, but I don't really know. The minute-to-minute gameplay looks pretty bleak. I can't be too hard on it though, as the guy tasked with creating it had only 5.5 weeks to do so. :o

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I was researching what the most popular screen resolutions are now a days for desktop systems, which is what I am designing my game for (though I may consider mobile, but I have never done that). Anyhow, the results surprised me. I expected 1920x1080 to be the #1, but it was not, 1366x768 is the #1 resolution at around 35% of the market! 1920x1080 is actually #2 at around 17%. I can only guess that this is due to there being many more laptops out there that often run at 1366x768. So my next game will have 1366x768 as the default low end resolution and scalable up to 1920x1080 I think. Other resolutions, both lower and higher have a much smaller share of the market.

In 2011, 1024x768 was the most popular resolution, at 17% (what 1920x1080 is at now, so we know where all those people went).

I'd be curious to see a remake/clone/re-imagining of E.T. From the few gameplay videos I've seen of it on YouTube, I honestly don't know what the real objective is. I guess you're looking for something in the game, but I don't really know. The minute-to-minute gameplay looks pretty bleak. I can't be too hard on it though, as the guy tasked with creating it had only 5.5 weeks to do so. :o

If I recall, I think you had to find different parts to phone home. It's been a LONG time since I played it. I didn't find it TOO horrible at the time. Not exactly memorable, but not as bad as I hear people saying these days. IF you compare it to modern games, sure, yuck, but consider what other games were like in the same time period.

Not too bad for 5.5 weeks though to be honest.

---

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Neil, I just saw a face in the very top right corner of your avatar.

{"name":"a1adbdef97305ba9d34fabe0e9a107c5318d86e9baf20c6df6fb1421ae7edcbd.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/a\/ca59e7e4580cceac01d30babf18fa1ba.jpg","w":500,"h":726,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/a\/ca59e7e4580cceac01d30babf18fa1ba"}a1adbdef97305ba9d34fabe0e9a107c5318d86e9baf20c6df6fb1421ae7edcbd.jpg

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Neil, I just saw a face in the very top right corner of your avatar.

So there is! Creepy! :o

{"name":"611119","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/3\/73a0babf4761dc4e736f5814beb2341c.jpg","w":512,"h":384,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/3\/73a0babf4761dc4e736f5814beb2341c"}611119

It has a bit of a Hitler vibe going on I think.

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

White Supremacy status confirmed. You might as well be standing with Hitler as he makes his speeches!

#call_of_duty_did_nothing_wrong

-----sig:

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I never noticed until now, but there's another face in the picture, too! :o

{"name":"neil_young_face_circle.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/2\/c20afcdf5fee26ee2063b3d322303b28.png","w":512,"h":384,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/2\/c20afcdf5fee26ee2063b3d322303b28"}neil_young_face_circle.png

Go to: