Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

The thing is, it may be a simple error, but it's realizing WHERE the error is, as well as WHAT the error is. That is, it could be a simple error to fix, but the EFFECTS you're using to diagnose it may be very confusing or even misleading from the true problem. Easiest example is re-using memory / pointer abuse for newbies where the crash occurs FAR away from the actual pointer and goes away when they change seemingly (an actually) unrelated lines of code that just so happen to move the memory order slightly to add or remove the crash.

All yesterday I was working with a co-worker on some "should have been simple" code with two listboxes bound to SQL data. It kept giving us problem after problem. Data didn't move over like it should. Some rows would. Some rows would only not move in some other cases. It made no sense.

Actually, we finally thought we fixed it, and demo'd it to the client at quitting time... and lo and behold I committed the mortal sin. Showing a client a slightly different test case that we didn't test before hand (even though I had my co-worker test many cases this one slight case we didn't--that "shouldn't" have mattered). It managed to have a new glitch. DOH.

All rows moved, worked. No rows moved, worked. Some rows, worked. HOWEVER, we selected (for the heck of it) all rows with similar names all related to a single company (multiple locations) and then it glitches and my heart sinks.

I mean, the guy didn't care that much, but still, I wanted to beat .NET with a rusty hammer.

p.s. If you read Hacker News or Slashdot, people have been saying "I wonder if it'd be better in Rust" so often, it's become an meme. Any time anyone mentions ANY security, pointer, or performance flaw, some idiot will invariably chime in "I wonder if a Rust implementation of the [discussion topic] would be better." They literally said that about the Linux Kernel. Ugh. Kids these days. So this thread reminded me that. That if we were talking about Eagle on Hacker News they'd be like "omg, you'd never have crashes... logic errors... or any error at all if you just used Rust. kthxbye"

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I rarely use a debugger. When I want to know if a program reached a specific point, I just throw in a few printf("Program reached line %n\n", __LINE__);... works well. I'm low tech that way. ;)

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

SiegeLord is our resident Rust expert, but he hasn't posted in this thread and probably never will. I'm curious as to whether there's any merit to those memetic comments. I guess one day I'll probably try it myself :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

Jeez. Someone's bitter. Bad hardware?

No, it was a joke, but maybe it did not sound that way :P

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm curious as to whether there's any merit to those memetic comments.

Google has no idea what you just said there. :-/

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

;D

{"name":"611082","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/0\/d09a71cefd72854a3d1610990fc0d7f3.jpg","w":846,"h":960,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/0\/d09a71cefd72854a3d1610990fc0d7f3"}611082

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

That movie was mind-bogglingly terrible.

Even there, she was just telling the droid she hates it. Then she fixes its antenna?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

That movie was mind-bogglingly terrible.

I liked the visuals (explosions are always cool), but the story was kind of lackluster. I find it difficult to believe that, despite defeating the evil in the galaxy just a score or so earlier, evil rose up and assumed dominance again so quickly. It feels like it really undoes everything from episodes IV-VI. Then again, the original trilogy wasn't even all that great either. Cheesy acting and dialogue galore. ::)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Nothing made sense in it. Like, the main chick somehow finds the Millenium Falcon right when she needs it, and SOMEHOW knows how to repair it better than the guy who FLEW IT FOR DECADES and SOMEHOW knows how to fly it better than anyone even though she admits "I've never flow this ship before." She's either the Jedi Jesus Christ, or some of the worst writing in the history of Hollywood AAA movies.

Nobody has any plans. They just walk in, and know everything will work out.

And the empire gets completely defeated. The Rebels win. Yet this next movie, only like 20/30 years past and EVERYONE has forgotten that the Jedi basically saved the day (again?!!? Does NOBODY have cellphone cameras?!), AND this "new empire" has magically shown up and built an EVEN BIGGER DEATH STAR and NO ONE NOTICED, and just so happened to leave YET ANOTHER WEAK SPOT completely unguarded that planes can easily fly into to blow up.

And the new rebels are... The Resistance. How can they be The Resistance?! THEY WON THE LAST ROUND. THEY OWN THE UNIVERSE. And how do they STILL have clunky old ships and tiny armies, and the new order just "shows up" and has 10x the military size out of no where.

Almost EVERY decision they made makes ZERO sense when you really think about it. Like how Jesus Chick can somehow overpower the mind powers of a evil Jedi who TRAINED UNDER LUKE SKYWALKER, the most powerful Jedi that ever lived. And she just comes in and gives him a headache. Then, she uses powers she never even saw someone else use, brainwashes people. THEN, she OUT LIGHTSABERS the Jedi Knight... who again... trained under Luke Skywalker and spent his entire life using force powers.

THEN, even ignoring the Jesus Chick, the black guy picks up the sword and (though there's been zero hinting of him having any Jedi powers OR EVER HOLDING A SWORD IN HIS LIFE) manages to... ONCE AGAIN... overpower... the dark jedi knight.

Why are we even watching at this point? No matter what happens, Rey has GOD MODE turned on. Does anyone find it "fun" or "interesting" to watch someone play a game with cheats enabled? When there's literally nothing at stake and she can kill everyone (no matter how "strong") with a single hit?

And my gosh, her blank expression the entire movie. I'm sure the actress is a wonderful woman, but the dialog, plot, and directing have turned her into a walking block of wood with a face drawn on it. It's like watching Twilight where the girl has that constant... blank... expression the entire series.

Go watch it again and see how "entertained" you are and how "attached" you are to the characters. Then contrast it with the original series and how warm and family-like they are. You care when they get sad, or fail, or lose a friend.

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

You guys totally missed the humour in that pic. Yeesh. ;)

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I've watched every episode of Futurama at least 20 times at this point. (I watch it every night as I fall asleep--for years.)

I got the joke. :P But I was overwhelmed with my hatred for that movie.

And contrary to people's implications that I may hate "any" new STar Wars, Rogue One was 10x better than Force Awakens in every way. I loved the darker / saving-private-ryan-esk tone. There were some stupid inconsistency, and terrible halts to the pacing, but overall, WAY MORE LIKABLE CHARACTERS and actually treading new ground like with the Force Monk.

{"name":"16-rogue-one.w710.h473.2x.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/d\/4d4e153d33adc2a464d19b52b8d4a2fa.jpg","w":1420,"h":946,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/d\/4d4e153d33adc2a464d19b52b8d4a2fa"}16-rogue-one.w710.h473.2x.jpg

That's an insanely cool, untapped bit of lore. Guys who BELIEVE in the force with all their faith, yet aren't born as Jedi's. The guy in this movie is blind yet can "sense" attackers because of his faith and his excellent hearing. That's a pretty damn cool twist on the now cliche "men with laser swords wacking each other".

Oh Kylo Ren's amazing new sword technology is simply... a light saber with some tokyo drift ground lighting attached to the sides. You know, flames that don't actually do anything at all since it's a F!@#ING LASER SWORD.

Also, "ray, and kylo ren, and finn." Could they have picked ANY THREE NAMES that sound more similar and confusable with each other? Why not bill, phil, and sill while they're at it?

OH, and the ROBOT in Rogue One has got to be one of my now favorite robots EVER. He blows C3-PO and R2D2 out of the water. And he's a way more likable cynical robot than the film version of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe. Perhaps I'm not "British" enough to get the joke but I didn't find him very funny and I LOVE the actor that voices him.

{"name":"rogue-one-alan-tudyk.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/0\/30e09cf0641e8fe4e34f5209c5e357a2.jpg","w":825,"h":464,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/0\/30e09cf0641e8fe4e34f5209c5e357a2"}rogue-one-alan-tudyk.jpg

vs

{"name":"maxresdefault.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/33d359cd77484061cd203db81d3cdddb.jpg","w":1280,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/3\/33d359cd77484061cd203db81d3cdddb"}maxresdefault.jpg

And I get it, Marvin in Hitchhiker is not supposed to be an "action" robot but he never has any redeeming qualities in the movie. He just walks around, and "luck" seems to save everyone over and over. (which is an odd thing when the book/film basically says "there is no god, and everything is meaningless" yet luck keeps saving them over and over...)

[edit] And if Hollywood had ANY BALLS AT ALL, instead of "implying" that the "New ORder" is Space Nazis and blowing up 5 planets at once. Why not have the BALLS and do ACTUAL sick twisted stuff like torture women with light sabers, blow up children, and enslave entire races. It's pretty effed up that the worst thing "the bad guys" do is hold some rallies, and then blow up some planets they disagree with. I mean, how many times has the USA blown the piss out of much less powerful countries because it was "in our best interest." Where's the REAL evil? The sinister, twisted stuff (that the REAL Nazis actually did less than 100 years ago.) Evil that is done not because it's in their best interest, but the opposite. Why? BECAUSE THEY'RE EVIL.

How can the "super evil" guys be less evil than people our parents may have newspapers/photos of in their attics? I get it that's it's not an R rated movie but my point still stands. They could have infused way more believable "evil" in Force Awakens if they actually bothered to use their brains a little.

Did ANYONE care at all and "Feel" emotion for the planets that blew up in Force Awakens? You literally never saw them up until the exact moment they blew up. They're not real people... they're standing props for an explosion effect. Meanwhile, remember Leia watching the death star and high ranking officers blow up her HOME planet? We can empathize and understand the situation through HER eyes as an actress. In Force Awakens, there's no "before and after"--we know literally nothing about them before they die--it's just eye candy.

It's horrifically bad story telling. And basically the exact blunder Disney commited in Tron: Legacy when they introduced and killed the "synth" lifeforms <b>in the same speech<b> and all you saw was a cheap exploding building and a bunch of cheesy "we're dying" agony screams. All from people you never see the entire movie--even during their "deaths". Am I supposed to care about these people? I didn't even know they existed!

They literally have less filmmaking skill at creating empathy... than those television ads with sad music while playing pictures of abused dogs, or starving Ethiopian kids.

-----sig:

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

bamccaig said:

Google has no idea what you just said there. :-/

You use Google for your basic reading comprehension?

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Here's Mark Hamil (crapping on the new Star Wars ;) ) and explaining how they could have done the entire han solo / luke / leia arc so much better:

video

Instead of a bunch of random characters who NEVER EVEN KNEW HAN SOLO till ~20 minutes ago, witnessing his end.

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I mean, how many times has the USA blown the piss out of much less powerful countries because it was "in our best interest." Where's the REAL evil?

...Right there? :-/:P

The sinister, twisted stuff (that the REAL Nazis actually did less than 100 years ago.) Evil that is done not because it's in their best interest, but the opposite. Why? BECAUSE THEY'RE EVIL.

I assume the genocide and war was "in the best interest" of Nazi Germany at the time. Or at the very least, the powers that be believed that it was. That doesn't really justify murder and genocide.

You use Google for your basic reading comprehension?

I use Google and Urban Dictionary and Wikipedia to try to figure out what undefined references are. :P I've never heard of "memetic comments". In fact, I think before this moment the only time I've ever seed or heard the word "memetic" was in Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. :P

Having now spent a few minutes on Wikipedia, I still don't understand what you meant by it. :P Is it some kind of inside joke or am I just dense? >:(

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Now I understand what was unclear :)

Here's another example: the T1000 from Terminator 2 is a "memetic polyalloy", i.e. a metal that can mimic things. Memes are so called because they spread through mimicry. Hopefully that clarifies :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

So ACC is freezing up again and you guys just posted here. I wonder if it's related. :o

Also, bam, I think you missed what I'm saying. YES, it's "wrong" to blast little countries. But international politics IS a really strange, murky grey area. Is it okay to blow up some innocent people (because technology isn't strong enough) if it stops a regime that's killing thousands of people?

But that's different than, sinister evil. What the Nazis did was spend TONS of resources not just enslaving the jews (which they did for the labor resources), but also spend INSANE amounts of resources exterminating them. Hitler wasn't "insane." He knew exactly what he was doing, and continued to spend tons of resources even till the very end of the war when they needed those resources for weaponry. That's why Hitler wins the evil contest in most history books.

*However, it's pretty hilarious how nobody uses Mao or Stalin, or calls people "Stalin supporters" or "Stalin enablers" even though both of them killed MILLIONS (Stalin might have killed MORE than Hitler). Because you know, that would affect liberals, and it's way better politically to just have a four-letter-word for shutting down conservatives than actually being consistent with your logic.

Another fun fact: Japan even had live human experimentation camps JUST like Hitler did, and in many ways, they were WORSE than the Germans (see Rape of Nanking). Whereas Germany had the "SS" for their militant zealots (whereas the normal military even respected Americans and Rommel's entire military was NEVER convicted of any war crime), Japan's entire army was brainwashed and fought to the death for their "god" emperor. Yet NOBODY brings up Japan as an ultimate evil. Nobody harbors any hatred for them. Nobody shames anyone who dares view Japan in a positive light, or wearing a Japanese ww2 flag. There's no hashtag #punch_a_jap even though they committed many war crimes.

The way politics abuses history is an interesting topic to me.

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Wow... so much hate about a movie. Try and just see the humour and quit being so serious about movies. I loved the new Star Wars movies. But then, I rarely get serious about a movie. I get serious about real life. I try and find the positive in all movies and ignore the flaws because... they're just movies.

I'm about to give up on trying to crack a smile out of people in here! Yeesh.

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

NOW I'M EVEN ANGRIER!

RAAAAAAAAAAGGHGHHHH!!!

MMARRRRYY SUEEEEEEeeeEEEeeeee!!

video

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

{"name":"611083","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/d\/2d84f7365233738d24326e03140103ad.jpg","w":1002,"h":612,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/d\/2d84f7365233738d24326e03140103ad"}611083

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Ha!

-----sig:

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Still rocking. 8-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

So I'm going to test bricking Allegro.CC now by posting in this thread.

[edit] So far it's super snappy. Maybe it was a DDoS.

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

An oldie...

{"name":"611084","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/1\/41066d18296bb69bb0b2533e68c49e21.jpg","w":330,"h":390,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/1\/41066d18296bb69bb0b2533e68c49e21"}611084

---

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Translation in the spoiler.

{"name":"611093","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/e\/6e8ebee131b5fd3b9949ff708f9d7f51.jpg","w":480,"h":821,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/e\/6e8ebee131b5fd3b9949ff708f9d7f51"}611093

"When I shit in the jungle, I use leaves to wipe my ass"

X-D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Go to: