Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

That was a great joke. I chuckled.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Seen Blade Runner 2049, 2 hours and 44mins long movie and not a boring moment in it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The trailers didn't give away the plot either, in fact, I felt they cleverly disguised it.

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

YES. I was hoping so much it'd be good! I can't wait now!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I'm hearing good things about Blade Runner too. I haven't seen the first one. Should I do that first?

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

It's amazing. I'd definitely watch it. And it's the same character from the original, so it's gonna be pretty helpful to see the original first.

-----sig:

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Nice double post there, jmasterx. ;)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Edgar Reynaldo said:

Wow Eric. ::)

You pissed him off so much he triple posted. 8-)

Oh man, I didn't even notice the third one. :o I'm a terrible person. :-/

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I think you could probably get away with watching this one without knowing the original. There's not too much to know from the original that isn't covered in this.

TO be honest, the original had much less of a plot, basically certain models of replicants are banned on Earth (the ones from the first movie), only in off world colonies are they allowed at all as they rebelled.

What is a replicant? I heard some people talking and calling them Robots after the movie. While the analogy of a robot is close, they are the same as you and I, only they are genetically designed and "constructed" somehow and are "born" fully adult. The latest model (8) can be "programmed" for specific purposes and obey the owner. Even if the owner commands it to kill itself. Most people on Earth can't stand them and refer to them as "skinjobs".

In the original movie, Deckard (Harrison Ford's character) is a detective assigned to what is called the "Blade Runner" unit whose sole task is to track down and "retire" (kill) rogue replicants that are on Earth. The original tries to make you feel sympathetic to the replicants, but I never felt that way as they murdered many innocent people. They tend to lack normal human emotions like empathy and compassion. And the original models rebelled. The new models in the new movie are less likely to rebel and more obedient, at least... that is how they were designed.

The plot in the new one involves an aspect I never even considered to do with replicants, but I won't spoil it. :)

I hear a lot about how great the original was, and it was! But honestly, the original plot was fairly simple. Hunt down the replicants and retire them before they kill you and anyone else. That's it. The new movie has a more involved plot I felt. The graphics were fricken amazing I thought, a ruined Las Vegas (like what you seen in the trailer, only MUCH more in the movie of course) looked amazing I thought.

Anyhow... not giving away anything with this post. I loved it, but then again, I don't tend to be too critical of movies, I get serious about real life and tend to focus on the good points in a movie.

Edit: as a side note to the original, if you can see the original THEATRICAL VERSION, you will get MUCH more insight into what is going on. You may end up preferring the Director's Cut which is more commonly available these days, it cut out narration from Harrison Ford which was sort of like an old '50s detective show where you get the detective's thoughts while watching him. Some like it, some do not, I'll not bash either, I happen to like it. But you WILL get more information if you hear it, then maybe watch the Director's Cut and make up your own mind. Also the original ending is cut out of the Director's Cut (it's called a "CUT" for a reason), which I also preferred and I feel ties in closely and is important for this new movie for reasons I won't get into (so as not to spoil anything).

I have an old VHS tape of the original theatrical version. I won't buy the director's cut, can't stand it (again, not bashing you if you like it, I just personally do not, to each his own).

---

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

The first sentence was useful, because I was wondering whether I need to obtain the original post-haste :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quick! Keep posting so his post and spoilers will be on a previous page!

-----sig:

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

What spoiler?! If I posted a spoiler I would use spoiler tags, you guys are retarded.

I think I'll stay away from this site for a long while, getting annoying. Enjoy.

---

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

You've been taking stuff too seriously lately. :) It's not like 10 people shot down all your points and humiliated you, or 20 downvotes, or a mod abused his powers.

I saw spoiler and that movie is important to me so I'm being extra careful to not spoil it.

-----sig:

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Neil Roy said:

What spoiler?! If I posted a spoiler I would use spoiler tags, you guys are retarded.

Who are you calling retarded?! >:(

{"name":"SfEmEa8-.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/c\/2cc20dd85e25b7bcb8b8db83005d2b62.jpg","w":394,"h":394,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/c\/2cc20dd85e25b7bcb8b8db83005d2b62"}SfEmEa8-.jpg

:P

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I read through Neil's posts. He didn't spoil anything (as far as I could tell), and was even conscious not to. ::)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I think this is a conspiracy and you're all trying to get me to spoil my movie.

-----sig:

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

In the movie, people run from blades... probably.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

DAMN IT ALL TO HELL! >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

-----sig:

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Don't forget the love story between Harrison's character and a replicant. Also, I think they want you to wonder if he is a replicant himself.

I recently watched the original again. To me, it's just a bit hokey.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Who are you calling retarded?! >:(

Sorry, you're special. As in... olympics. :P

In the movie, people run from blades... probably.

;D. Yeah, that's it. Actually, it is the name of the police unit assigned to "retiring" (killing) replicants (genetically designed people, created as full adults, often superior in strength or some other ability, used as a sort of slave labour) that are illegally on Earth (legal in offworld colonies). Called the "Blade Runner Unit".

The new movie is far superior over the original in my own opinion. Which is rare for a sequel.

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Neil Roy said:

The new movie is far superior over the original in my own opinion. Which is rare for a sequel.

Shrek 2 was pretty good.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Shrek 2 was pretty good.

Never seen that movie, 1 or 2, except parts of it I think at a friend's place. Looked interesting. I generally like computer animated movies.

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Neil Roy said:

Never seen that movie, 1 or 2, except parts of it I think at a friend's place. Looked interesting. I generally like computer animated movies.

You should watch at least the first two. I liked them.

So the town I grew up in is on fire right now. :-/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8SIMFcZ2vA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bYu649MuQo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Go to: