Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I can't tell if that's a troll or serious post. :o

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Yay Chris! You got reply number 1300 :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Onewing said:

Elon Musk. His advancements in technology will be used against him when the growing right-wing conservatives catch wind of his doings.

Not sure about that last part, but it makes sense that Elon Musk would be the first to be tossed into the sun. Too bad he'll burn up well before he gets there though. Humankind may never truly step foot on the sun. :-/

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm not sure it makes sense to "step foot on extremely hot gases". :-/ You can't step on what won't hold weight. Even if a solid substance could somehow withstand the heat it would pass right through the "surface" of the Sun drawn by the gravity at the core (or so we can speculate).

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

That settles it: we need to turn the sun into a solid by freezing it.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Thought I should post something in here so... here's my post...

{"name":"610963","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/2\/027522384630d2525c48827f12486e3f.jpg","w":1600,"h":1066,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/2\/027522384630d2525c48827f12486e3f"}610963

---
“I love you too.” - last words of Wanda Roy

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

That's a nice-looking post! :o

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Very nice post.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

This is a long thread...

{"name":"610964","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/8\/98d668e6864ec4ec2b9ca74cb7cb3f1a.jpg","w":500,"h":375,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/8\/98d668e6864ec4ec2b9ca74cb7cb3f1a"}610964

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I'm genuinely curious to see how many more puns you can make. :P

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Quote:

I genuinely curious to see how many more puns you can make. :P

Now that you have said that I am stuck for new ideas. :-/

But I did find a great image of a real life end boss fight that made me laugh out loud! ;D

{"name":"610965","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/8\/08f7786703bfe890e3356279af0d5dee.jpg","w":720,"h":479,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/8\/08f7786703bfe890e3356279af0d5dee"}610965

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Sorry for ruining your pun streak. :( That's a pretty cool image. :o

Edit
So Neil, I'm curious: do you ever worry about receiving a cease and desist order on your Deluxe Pacman games?

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

So Neil, I'm curious: do you ever worry about receiving a cease and desist order on your Deluxe Pacman games?

Nope! Edgar Vigdal (may he Rest in peace :'( ) had no problems. And I had no problems since I started with the PC versions in the 1990s.

I'm actually a little surprised Edgar didn't get any legal problems as the name of his game was a little sketchy... his was "Deluxe Pac-Man" for the Amiga, mine has always been "Deluxe Pacman". There is a difference. Namco registered "Pac-Man" with the dash. They never registered "Pacman", in fact, there is a hat maker in South Korea named "Pacman". So, yeah, I checked. :) I don't use anything of theirs. My Pacman character looks different than theirs if you look closely (mine has eyes, their original one did not). My ghosts are different, they have noses and the animation is different. My level layout is totally different than theirs and I have multiple levels, the original only ever had one. Moving a man through a maze is not exactly an original idea. But... if push came to shove, I would just rename it or stop making it all together (not that I work on it much anymore anyhow)... or I would fight them over it as I am not exactly a pushover, I am known for putting up a fight and pushing back when it comes to my rights. :)

I also feel all the clones is what has kept the game alive. Probably helps with sales on console versions I would imagine <shrug>.

I do have a huge number of downloads of my Deluxe Pacman 1 game. It even surprised me. We're talking in the millions worldwide... if only I had $1 for each download <sigh>. Mainly Spanish speaking nations it seems and a lot of the nations in South America, so there's a market for games like that there. If I knew their language I would be tempted to add it to the game.

I even had a download of it in Saudi Arabia and in some nation next to Libya (I forget the name) which surprised me.

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

It's good to hear you haven't had any legal problems. :) What are the differences between Deluxe Pacman 1 and 2, and how long has 2 been out compared to 1?

Edit
By the way, I just fired up Deluxe Pacman 2 on my laptop and I think I've encountered a bug. If I go into options and enable suicide speed, play a round, return to the main menu and uncheck suicide speed and play again, suicide speed is still applied to the game. Only after exiting and executing the program again does suicide speed go away.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

By the way, I just fired up Deluxe Pacman 2 on my laptop and I think I've encountered a bug. If I go into options and enable suicide speed, play a round, return to the main menu and uncheck suicide speed and play again, suicide speed is still applied to the game. Only after exiting and executing the program again does suicide speed go away.

Okay, you're no longer allowed to play it. ;)

I never play in that mode as it was requested by someone so that would explain how I never caught it. I'll check that, then curse you for making me work on it again! ;)

As for the age difference... I started DP1 in the 1990s, I think around 1996 for DOS and upgraded it as time went by. Originally it was 320x200 I think, something like that with VGA graphics and I think Allegro 2? Been a while. Eventually I moved it to Windows and 800x600. Around 2009 I started to think about a new version with new features, new graphics, new resolution and slightly larger level layout with custom start positions etc... etc... I thought about it a while, made some designs and then shelved it until around 2012 when I started work on it again with Allegro 5. I basically was learning Allegro 5 while I programmed it, so that was a task. I think it was 2015 when I finally released a demo of it and then the full version.

There's a programming journal that comes with it. There's one with both games where I have log entries when I worked on it, some of my frustrations etc... it's actually VERY lengthy, if you're curious. Both games have one installed and can be accessed from the start menu folder (or in the game install folder itself). Both also have a level editor with them.

Oh, what DP2 has that DP1 does not, DP2 has an energy bar you can use for temporary speed, you gain energy as you eat (see HELP menu), press CTRL to use it. DP2 can change from fullscreen to window on the fly thanks to Allegro 5, DP1 you have to restart. DP2 you can set the ghost start positions, it has teleports, the levels are slightly larger, has new graphics etc...

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Thanks for the history lesson. :) I find it incredible that your project has been around for nearly as long as I've been alive (I was born in 1995). :o Sorry to make you work on your game again. I've got a few bucks I can spare, so maybe I'll make a donation to boost your bug-squashing prowess. ;)

Neil Roy said:

There's a programming journal that comes with it.

Just saw it... whoa--it's pretty long! I often enjoy reading the development logs featured in various game jams, so I'm sure I'll get a kick out of reading your journal entries all the same.

I'll have to check out all that DP2 has to offer. So far I've enjoyed playing a few of the levels. You've done a really good job with it. I especially like how smooth everything feels. Keep up the good work! ;D

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

As a side note, I just tried DP2 in Wine on Ubuntu and it worked pretty much flawlessly. I think there might have been a bit of a skew to some of the fonts/text on the score board, but that was about it. I only played one level, mind you. You may want to test this for yourself and document it on your Web site.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Never tried it on Linux, though I did allow someone to compile it for Linus years ago. I should make an effort to port it. Shouldn't be difficult. I may add a note about that though, thanks.

The last DOS version I compiled for DP1 is on my website. I managed to get it to run on my tablet with DOSBOX which was kind of kewl, though really clunky.

Edit: Just tested the suicide speed problem and that is indeed a bug. Strange.

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I'm also playing it on Linux (Ubuntu) using Wine, and it runs flawlessly as far as I can tell.

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

I just fixed that suicide bug now and will upload a new version in a while. I'll probably create 10 more levels for the game first as is my new custom.

There is a level editor with the game as well, it's super easy to use, just click and drag your mouse to "draw" lines. You can also create your own custom line sets and even insert a small image at the start of your level with whatever you want on it (someone requested these things).

Edit: I uploaded a new version with that bug fixed and 45 levels instead of 40.

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Neil Roy said:

Edit: I uploaded a new version with that bug fixed and 45 levels instead of 40.

I tested it just now and sure enough, the bug's no more! I don't know if it's gone through yet, but I sent a few bucks your way for your efforts. Thanks for fixing it! ;D

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Thanks for that. Though it wasn't necessary, I always fix bugs as soon as they are reported. :)

Edit: Updated the credits screen with your name in it (uploaded it, same version).

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Neil Roy said:

Thanks for that. Though it wasn't necessary, I always fix bugs as soon as they are reported. :)

Necessary or not, you're good for it. :) I got my high score up to 1.5 million today. Is there an all-time high score that you know of?

Neil Roy
Member #2,229
April 2002

Necessary or not, you're good for it. :) I got my high score up to 1.5 million today. Is there an all-time high score that you know of?

Not really, unless you count the... I think 8 million my wife got one time, but that was before I nerfed the bonus points on DP1 anyhow. Your score sounds pretty amazing. I'm not sure I have gotten that high. But then I have rarely tried. I tend to suck at my own games. :)

---

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

So I just spent 53 minutes recording my play session only to discover that I had my recording software configured incorrectly. :-/ Oh well, I got a new high score either way: 3,393,200! :D

{"name":"dp2.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/4\/d4b2f6e410bcf44220cfdee2e412d560.png","w":800,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/4\/d4b2f6e410bcf44220cfdee2e412d560"}dp2.png

Neil Roy said:

I think 8 million my wife got one time

That's pretty high. I'll try to beat that. :P

Edit
Anyone want some more Steam keys?
7 Grand Steps: What Ancients Begat -> 0EQ0Q-6MXZR-JIJMQ
AI War: Fleet Command -> 6BNPT-9J2GF-80LZ7
Ellipsis -> R8RWF-JYI93-WJT3Q

Go to: