This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

So I tried out Mutt. Its simplicity in use is nice. Though I imagine its mastery is a whole other story. I'm not sure I'll use it as my main mail client though, because attachments seem a bit tedious, and it's just text (I often receive emails with images that I care to see). I'm just not too sure about it just yet.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It's not a club. If it fits your needs use it. :) It does fit my personal needs, but honestly I keep my business needs separate. I mostly use Mutt for free software mailing lists and that sort thing. I gained the knowledge of how to cryptographically sign and encrypt messages, and that in itself is useful, albeit in today's world marginally. And smart mailing list messages are so much nicer that way.

Obviously, the average colleague does not write messages that are consistent with that. I get it. When it comes to replying to company mail I top post because I honestly don't think my colleagues would notice an interleaved message, even if I spelled it out in a heading every goddamn time.

Attachments might be somewhat painful, but I think they always are. As a side note, it's free software so if you can make it better do so. Nobody will complain. You can always submit a patch to the mailing list if you figure out a better way to do it.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

It is the complementary gesture. A 'bird', upon encountering a 'nose', might be taken by an irresistible desire to hold hands. :)

P.S. I bet Mutt doesn't support drag and drop of attachments ;)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

A 'bird', upon encountering a 'nose', might be taken by an irresistible desire to hold hands. :)

Hold my hands, friend. >:(

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Do you need to hold my hand
And have me help you understand,
Or shall I hold up both my hands
And say I did not understand
Your ask which seemed quite out of hand
For me to deign to hold your hand?

(I recently discovered Gilbert and Sullivan)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

My new favorite song!

Quote:

This world of ours is full of choice
But must I choose between only John or Joyce?
Are my options only hard or moist?
My vagina has its own voice
Not vocal cords, a metaphorical voice
Sometimes I do a voice for my vagina
Please don't tell me I'm the only one who does that
'Cause my sex junk is so oh, oh, oh
Much more than either or, or, or
Power bottom or power top
Versatile love may have some butt stuff
It's evolution, ain't nothing new
There's nothing taboo about a sex stew
Just add salt or Gerard Depardieu
French treasure
If they're alive I'll date 'em
Channing or Jenna Tatum
I'm down for anything
Don't box in my box
Give someone new a handy
Then give yourself props
(Male voice: Oh you think you're so smart, did you learn gay in college?)
Chill with all of that while I drop some knowledge
Sexuality's a spectrum
Everyone is on it
Even you might like it if you sit up on it
Drag queen, drag king, just do what feels right
You're tall pansexual, flirty wood sprite
Who enjoys a fleshlight in the cold moonlight?
(Male voice: With a sad clown Skyping via satellite?)
Damn skippy, home slice,
Sing it with me all night
Sex how you want it, it's your goddamn right
Get off your soapbox
Get off your soapbox
My sex junk's better than bagels with lox
With lots of schmear

I didn't write that. That's an actual song someone put down on paper and told someone to sing.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

And they said the "slippery slope" didn't exist! :o

Anyway, I had to search what "schmear" meant...

According to Wordnik:

Quote:

schmear
n. A spread that goes on a bagel
n. A batch of things that go together
n. An aggregate

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

If it wasn't clear, I was genuinely asking if you needed me to explain more clearly or if you had some other meaning with "Hold my hands, friend"...? :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

No further explanation needed, thanks. I was just being silly with "Hold my hands, friend" anyway. :P

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

That's a relief :)

I hit the mother lode today - educational, trippy and hot :)

video

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

What a strange, yet mesmerizing, animation style.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

:)

Incidentally did you know that given only the rules for attraction and repulsion of stationary electric charges, the magnetic forces between moving charges emerge purely as a consequence of relativistic distortion of spacetime, because the relative motion causes the charged particles to appear more or less spread out? It was one of the biggest mind blows I found on YouTube :)

video

--
The brxybrytl has you.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Science is hard. Having chosen a field in technology I find it overwhelming to even attempt to learn even the most basic scientific ideas beyond the high school level. Even within technology which is more of a macro level or 12 above the science there's simply too much to possibly ever grasp. It really puts into perspective that as much as we collectively know about the universe, each of us knows a relatively limited set of things, and most things are beyond the grasp of a lifetime. It can be rather philosophical if you let it. And rather frightening if you let it.

Append:

That is, the bit about magnetism above (and the circular reference video that follows, damn it all OP) makes some pretty decent sense, but it's already building on top of ideas that are too complex to explain in the video. And even this bit of knowledge will likely escape from my brain as more pressing issues relevant to today take their spot in relative memory. Ask me to explain magnetism on this scale in a year or 5 and I probably wouldn't have a clue without Googling, and I'd be lucky to find such a digestible source at the time.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

You know your limitations - that enables you to push against them and achieve more :)

Are you damning Amarillion because I posted a video?

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

"Amarillion" makes me think of "armadillo".

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Me too - I even had lines in my game Aliens on Fire along these lines:

[You] "Amarillion made me do it!"
[The aliens who speak Japanese because why not {THAT'S RACIST!}] "Arumadiro? ..."

Also, happy 100th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings :) (This is Reply No. 1166.)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Pretty sure that'd be アルマジロ (arumajiro). ;)

Don't armadillos carry leprosy? We'd better steer clear of Amarillion then...

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

You can write 'di' as ディ. In the game it was ローマ字 (our letters). It's quite possible I chose to write it as Arumajiro though, I can't remember :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

I hate ローマ字 with a burning passion. >:( No joke.

You are correct about 「ディ」 though. But that'd be a really unusual spelling. I think the two "accepted" ones are 「アルマジロ」 and 「アーマジロ」. But it doesn't matter in the end.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I looked it up - I wrote it as "Arumadiro".

Also, just looking at what I achieved - I had such awesome braaaaiiin stamina back then. I wish I still had it :) On my boss's advice I bought a book on 'hacking' your physiology to give your brain the best possible chance at being awesome, and it seems to have quite a lot of good things mixed in with a few bits of quack medicine the guy fell for (EZ Water for example). I think what I really paid for was the work involved in pulling together and focusing a lot of good health advice with a focus on brain performance. So, we'll see. The pizza I just ate most of won't have helped though. </self-engrossedness>

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Eric Johnson
Member #14,841
January 2013

Let us know how it pans out for you. I'm trying a different approach: hating yourself to the point where you're forced to make a change for the better. "I'll improve, damn it!" :(

Also, what kind of pizza? I had combination pizza this evening. :D

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Also, just looking at what I achieved - I had such awesome braaaaiiin stamina back then.

I use to look back at my old programming and think, "How did I figure all of this out so easily back then and put it together so quickly, and now it takes me forever to create anything meaningful?".

More recently I finally created a really cool system that generates thousands of web based forms that mimic our desktop application system resources. It impressed everyone at work and I felt like my rate of brain decay was not as bad as I had feared, and I may still be of value. ;)

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

video

I am now about 3/4 into my 30th year alive. In the last year I've gotten a beer belly which until now I was incapable of getting (I blame that on my finaceé since she makes me eat food daily), and I don't feel as capable when driving. Some of the latter is probably just maturity and knowing more of my limits, but I worry some of it is also losing my touch. I wonder if working from home contributes to that since I drive much less often now. I haven't even gotten my motorcycle out of storage yet. I still feel pretty good about myself as a programmer, but I've also come to terms with certain limitations in my capacity. I guess the future holds whether I bust out of those limitations. In any case, given the peers I work with I still feel pretty good about myself. I just wish I had the missing pieces to make the big bucks.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Oh bambams, that video was hilarious - I love the juxtaposition of such chaos with the well-ordered music :)

The pizza was a Goodfella's pepperoni one, bought frozen at the supermarket. There's a cheese one waiting in the freezer for the next time I feel like letting go :)

So, here are some changes I've started making:

• I generally never ate butter because I never appreciated the taste and bought into the war on fat which is now believed to have been very harmful (allegedly the sugar industry bribed some academics into downplaying its well-known dangers, leading to that war). The guy recommends butter since it contains good fats, so it can't hurt to give it a try. Actually he's more specific - grass-fed butter - but I have some of Lore's butter to finish off first, and I don't know what kind that was.

• He also recommended putting butter on broccoli, on the grounds that the presence of that fat helps the body to make use of some good nutrients in the broccoli, so I tried that. It was tasty, certainly.

• I'm limiting my intake of things like milk chocolate and fruit juice. I've bought some spring water and intend to keep that stocked up at all times, since it's more tasty than tap water, and it'll be easier to drink enough water if the water is tasty.

Here are some things I'm not going to do, at least for now (in some cases ever):

• He claims milk is bad for you - the fat is good but the protein and lactose aren't (which is why he recommends butter, which only has the fat). For the time being, I'm not going to avoid milk and cheese - it would be too much of a shock to the system, and it wouldn't be sustainable.

• He recommends coffee (only in the morning, and not for the caffeine but for other reasons). When I was a kid, it was made painfully obvious to me that tea, coffee and alcohol are grown-ups' drinks and will not be offered to me. I was happy with that (they didn't seem tempting anyway) and ended up thinking of them as at odds with who I am. The thought of me starting to drink coffee offends me. On the plus side, he does recommend dark chocolate.

• He says anything grain-fed, or made from grains, is at risk of being mouldy. That more or less rules cereal out entirely and forces you to be paranoid about ingredient lists. He also has all sorts of other claims that force you to be paranoid about ingredient lists. I think it's unsustainable to think that way.

bambams, in your position I'd try and find a way to live without the alcohol, or at least with a lot less. I think it's probably your main self-destructive tendency (the same way sugary binges are mine). Of course, whatever you change, it has to be sustainable - so the challenge isn't to find the willpower not to drink, but rather to find something that just makes you feel so satisfied with things that you no longer want to drink. But I've never been into alcohol (see above) so I honestly don't know what the desire to get drunk feels like, nor what could serve to replace it, nor how good Google would be at answering that question correctly.

Derezo, I have no idea what you do to destroy yourself, but there's probably something :)

I spent some of today playing with Windows Presentation Foundation. Now that's a nice system, at first sight :) I think it's too early to say whether what I'm doing is helping me - my eyes felt a bit tired most of the day, and maybe I'll crash tomorrow. ;)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Go to: