Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Thread locks too soon

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Thread locks too soon
MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I wish the damage to my chip was visible.

You know, I haven't had a NFC card in a while. Seems the banks I deal with don't bother with that. The most I have is my phone.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

The Pico-8 game console for the Pocket CHIP seems to be an interesting piece of software. It's a shame I don't know Lua or want to learn it.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I think I might try to learn it. Give me a reason to use my Pocket CHIP.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

Lua is interesting, and has good documentation. Learning Lua has taught me a lot of what Javascript can actually do. I only regret that it doesn't provide integer numbers, only floating point.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Lua is my favorite dynamic language. It's small, fast, and simple without sacrificing expressiveness. And then there's LuaJIT, which is incredible all around.

If I had to do web development, it would be with Lua.

Audric said:

I only regret that it doesn't provide integer numbers, only floating point.

Lua 5.2 has integers!

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

Well, not really. You can recompile the library to use integers instead of floats, but then many standard libraries become silently useless, as all their inputs/outputs are in integers. Not fun for math.cos()

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Audric said:

Well, not really. You can recompile the library to use integers instead of floats, but then many standard libraries become silently useless, as all their inputs/outputs are in integers. Not fun for math.cos()

Lua does have native integer alongside floating-point as of 5.3 (see changes in readme). I mistakenly thought it was added in 5.2.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

I think we have lost the focus of this thread...

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Well, there's only so much you can say about the threads locking too soon. This is our protest thread about how long it takes from them to lock. We're in the talking with each other mode now.

---
MiquelFire.red

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

So, who wants to hug Aaron's avatar? :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Nah, not cat enough for me.

---
MiquelFire.red

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Anybody tried this "Pokemon Go" game? Pokemon didn't come along until I was past the target age so I have no particular attachment to the idea, but nevertheless it sounds like it might be a fun way to kill time while out and about waiting on people or things... The install is "free" and the required permissions don't seem entirely unreasonable. The only problem is, the app says its incompatible with my Samsung Galaxy S5... I can't figure out why. Anybody know? Apparently people are acquiring APKs from third party mirrors and are able to install them and run them just fine, but I'm not sure if I want to extend my already stretched trust to a third party repository/APK...

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I saw weird guys running all over the metro park yesterday staring at their phones. Normally when I do my daily walk there I'm the only person...

Anyway, I feel no desire to install the app myself.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

So, who wants to hug Aaron's avatar?

Ditto is my favorite ;D.

Story: I was playing Pokemon LeafGreen (first time playing the game, around 14? 16?). Wanted to get to the next town (Fuschia City) and avoid the trainers along the long stretch of path/road from the eastern entrance, so I went in the grass. First step into the grass a battle started, and in front of me was a smiling piece of recently chewed bubblegum.

In that stroke of luck and laziness, I had seen the most incredible Pokemon to ever exist.

---
they / she

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

In the spirit of this thread, my TorontoCon thread got locked before we were done with it. So if you wanna come to Toronto, post here! It looks like Elias might be able to make it! I haven't heard back from Oates yet, and I sent him a PM a few days ago.

As for Pokémon Go, my friend showed me what you do - basically walk around a virtual world and try to catch pokemon with pokeballs. I can imagine I would get really bored with that really quickly.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I am now suspecting that the only reason Google Play Store tells me my phone is incompatible with PG is because it hasn't been released in Canada yet... So presumably I'll be able to try it when they release in Canada, if they can ever manage the server overhead to do it... I guess it wasn't a problem with my device after all.

I don't expect it'll be a fun game. It will probably be really lame. But I'm not interested in downloading it because I'm interested in the game... I'm interested in some way to pass time when I'm stuck "out" in a public place with nothing to do waiting for some event, like say I'm waiting for somebody to arrive or to finish something, just sitting on a bench in a mall... Normally I'll pull out of my phone and try to pass the time. This might be a neat way to do that. If it means I get to deprive other people of catching "pokemon" that might be entertaining too!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Why not download Akebi and learn some kanji instead? :)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

@Edgar: Just booked! We'll be in the Country Inn & Suites Niagara Falls on 23rd - should be within walking distance of the falls and most things there :)

[edit:] Oh, just realized, since this is Canada... should I expect my phone to not work? Or is it close enough to the border that it will?

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I wouldn't count on it working. At least, make sure roaming is off or it might work and cost a fortune... I live in a border city too (same concept, but a bit smaller). I'm not sure if I can get American towers from home, but I know that you can jump when you're by the river if you have roaming enabled (which is like <1 km from the border). I doubt it would cover the entire city though.

Rodolfo Lam
Member #16,045
August 2015

Talking about cellphone fees... How did USA end up having such overpriced data plans? Last time I checked you could end up paying more than $30.00 for a monthly plan.

Movistar here in Panamá offers a data only (calls prepaid) monthly plan of 1GB for $9.99. And when you travel anywhere in the Americas you can continue using that same data for a $5.00 daily fee on a opt-in basis.

It's a great deal if you know what specific days of your trip you will need the cellular data available.

How much can roaming cost right now for US carriers?

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I paid about $5/month for 4GB back in Austria. Now I pay $50/month for 2GB. So yes, in the US you pay 10 to 20 times as much for mobile data :(

Anyway, according to Google the area where my hotel will be should be close enough to the border to still find a US signal (some posts say only if you stand on the roof though :P). But there's WIFI anyway.

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

In Canada I have Rogers' flex data plan (typically 3GB for $50) and a Voip.MS account for texting/calls (~$2/mo). The data plan can be as cheap as $10 if I use less than 100mb, but I typically use 2GB or more.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I'm on something like £7 a month for 500 MB of data, 200 minutes of calls and pretty much unlimited text messages. I even get free calls to 0800 numbers :)

That was a SIM-only deal and I bought my phone separately. Are you guys talking about SIM-only or do you get a phone with those 'deals'?

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Go to: