Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Post Your Desktop 11/2014

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Post Your Desktop 11/2014
Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

/me is so proud of his successful migration from Windows 7 to Arch Linux, he wants to share his desktop to celebrate.

I managed to find suitable replacements for all the Windows-only software that I'm used to (or could get it to work through Wine) and got LAN printer/scanner and Wacom tablet working nicely as well.

Haven't set up a development environment yet but already installed Bluefish, Emacs, Geany and LiteIDE for testing.

In summary: I do not need Windows for anything essential anymore now and have not booted into it for several days but I will keep it around for games which don't work in Wine (yet).

{"name":"609038","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/b\/db7f1fc0f2e648a59e66dcf1705377f9.png","w":1920,"h":1200,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/b\/db7f1fc0f2e648a59e66dcf1705377f9"}609038

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I didn't want to waste bandwidth by posting a whole lot of blue, but I was trying an A5 program in windows earlier today and the lack of functionality I take for granted in linux was painful (e.g. multiple desktops, drag to select and copy, binutils).

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Here's my "mobile" (lenovo X220) laptop (its what I'm using while I'm traveling)

I really don't see the desktop a lot so I haven't even bothered to configure it in any way.

{"name":"609039","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/f\/2fa9da173ee6d2d84b8376e1c9e0e252.png","w":1366,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/f\/2fa9da173ee6d2d84b8376e1c9e0e252"}609039

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

{"name":"609043","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/b\/1b838e46545055ab52f384a1f235789b.png","w":2880,"h":1800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/b\/1b838e46545055ab52f384a1f235789b"}609043
My laptop's desktop (showing the Dragon capsule being held by ISS's robotic arm), and my Odroid XU's "desktop" (just an ssh session using tmux :))

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

{"name":"609046","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/b\/8b61b13b42923dd35d4da2d07d366745.png","w":2048,"h":1152,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/b\/8b61b13b42923dd35d4da2d07d366745"}609046

I decided it was time that I got back into Linux so I just formatted over my entire dual-boot system with a single Debian install + LXDE. I've never used LXDE so I'm just figuring out if it's enough. In the spirit of being minimalist it seems to lack a few features that I like (among them, reordering the "task bar" dynamically). It seems that XFCE might make up for some of LXDE's weaknesses so perhaps I'd be more comfortable there. I actually love Xmonad now, but ultimately I'm trying to get Steam and Counter-Strike: Source running and the last time I did that they wouldn't work properly if launched from outside of one of the system desktop environments (for yet unknown reasons). :-/

I am still getting used to this system. My girlfriend has pretty much taken over my desk so I haven't been spending much time on my PC at home lately. I installed this wallpaper just now after installing the AMD video drivers and rebooting. Seems pretty well set up though now. Except for Steam... Which is non-trivial. So yeah.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

{"name":"609048","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/2\/f21be2f9014f3b544ef11a193b013da0.png","w":3360,"h":2100,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/2\/f21be2f9014f3b544ef11a193b013da0"}609048
Yes, I'm a total fan of the universe. :)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Seriously, do you guys even see the wallpaper after 5 hours?

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Yep. :)
Especially the one on login screen.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

My desktop is boring (Windows 8.1 with blue background) so I won't post it. I use the desktop like a quick folder. Win-D brings it up and I put stuff there temporarily sometimes, but most of the time I don't see it.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

My temporary location for downloaded junk is currently ~/Downloads, but at home it's /mnt/mrbig/data/downloads which is an nfs share to my nas. I also have a temp ~/build folder for things I build that I dont want/need to back up, especially big things.

I'd tell my desktop to show that, but those folders get big, and would just clutter things up. also, I almost never see the desktop, so it'd be a waste. I suppose I could point it at ~/projects that could actually be useful and a reason to remember the key binding to show the plasma desktop. heh.

In fact, here's a small modification:

{"name":"609049","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/9\/29ec3eed9af77d53d68c26a1347e43dd.png","w":1366,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/9\/29ec3eed9af77d53d68c26a1347e43dd"}609049

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I almost never see my desktop either and I would not have expected the word Desktop to be taken so literally. Real thread title should be more like "Post Your (Desktop) Environment (represented by a screenshot featuring menues, panels, trays and whatnot)" and tell a bit about any customizations you made. Why? Because I find this to be an interesting way of discovering what software others use(and how to do it) and also because the NSA needs to update their database from time to time.

I take for granted in linux was painful (e.g. multiple desktops, drag to select and copy, binutils)

To be fair, there are extra tools to allow for multiple desktops in Windows. Dragging to select and copy is possible by holding the CTRL key before starting to drag(a little + sign will appear at the cursor to indicate copy instead of move). Binutils... ok, probably only with MSYS2.

bamccaig said:

In the spirit of being minimalist it seems to lack a few features that I like (among them, reordering the "task bar" dynamically).

I use LXDE and find it to be highly customizable. Not sure what you mean by "reordering the taskbar dynamically" otherwise I could probably tell you where you can find the settings to make it do what you want (unless of course it lacks that particular feature).
I also like the way one can customize their own keyboard shortcuts: I have a script for taking a screenshot upon PrintScreen, saving it to a unique filename in a special screenshots folder and then opening the newly generated file in XNviewMP for quick editing/review. Also made a couple of shortcuts for maximizing a window to {left,right,top,bottom}+{half,quarter} of the screen (similar to what WinKey+Arrows does in Win7 but a bit more useful).

I have yet to find that fancy customizable system stats tool I saw elsewhere, which would print all kinds of info directly on the desktop, like diskspace, running processes, network interface status, ram usage and probably lots more.

Also looking for a retro theme for icons and widgets, something which looks like GEOS but haven't found any yet so I will probably have to learn how to make it myself.

jmasterx
Member #11,410
October 2009

My desktop is far too busy displaying a.cc pages to ever see the light of day.

{"name":"609050","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/9\/f970106b0034f86a45d1123f5a2d451a.png","w":1681,"h":1049,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/9\/f970106b0034f86a45d1123f5a2d451a"}609050

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I don't often see the desktop on my main monitor, but it's sometimes visible on a secondary monitor. I just have one of the Win 7 built-in themes though, so I'm not going to bother posting it.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

On my laptop I usually see it when it's docked and connected to external monitor. On my PC I usually see it in Windows after login, in Linux after switching to desktop #4 just before I start some application I want to use (#1 reserved for Firefox, #2 reserved for Thunderbird, #3 runs fullscreen terminal - same for the laptop). Oh yeah, plus the lock screen wallpaper, I set that one different on my laptop.

Anyway, laptop:
{"name":"609051","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/6\/66d1cc9f74068d572ebaa4ae1e1dad9d.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/6\/66d1cc9f74068d572ebaa4ae1e1dad9d"}609051

bamccaig said:

Except for Steam... Which is non-trivial. So yeah.

The only non-trivial thing to do for me was manual installation of nVidia drivers when I decided I want more recent ones than the ones offered in Debian Wheezy repositories. Other than that installing Steam on Linux was painless experience in my case.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

My desktop is just the wallpaper. It's faster than anything I've ever used, in terms not only of resources but also of workflow.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Dennis said:

I use LXDE and find it to be highly customizable. Not sure what you mean by "reordering the taskbar dynamically" otherwise I could probably tell you where you can find the settings to make it do what you want (unless of course it lacks that particular feature).

It means if I start Iceweasel, then gVim, and then UXTerm, I can reorder them so that on the far left is UXTerm, then Iceweasel, and then gVim. In practice I usually end up mostly running several terminal emulators along with a Web browser (typically Firefox/Iceweasel, but the latest Firefox is as stupid as Google Chrome; fortunately it seems Debian hasn't updated to that yet). I am obsessive about the order of my running programs in the UI. And also when most of your windows are terminal emulators it helps to order them in a particular way so you implicitly know which one is which.

I attempted to install Xfce to test it out and found that in the particular respect I wanted (multi-user login) it was no better than LXDE. At least the base system. Maybe I'm missing packages or something. I find it really silly that my girlfriend can't login to the desktop simultaneously while I have a session running.

I'm not sure what I did because now it seems that OpenBox has taken over my desktop. The context menu appears to be OpenBox's, and there's no more option for a desktop wallpaper. My desktop has reverted to being all black or something. It is probably going to take me a while to get comfortable with it again... Hopefully I can figure out how to run Xmonad by default, and then switch to LXDE or something for Steam.

Dennis said:

I also like the way one can customize their own keyboard shortcuts: I have a script for taking a screenshot upon PrintScreen, saving it to a unique filename in a special screenshots folder and then opening the newly generated file in XNviewMP for quick editing/review. Also made a couple of shortcuts for maximizing a window to {left,right,top,bottom}+{half,quarter} of the screen (similar to what WinKey+Arrows does in Win7 but a bit more useful).

Those might be useful. :) Mind sharing?

OICW said:

The only non-trivial thing to do for me was manual installation of nVidia drivers when I decided I want more recent ones than the ones offered in Debian Wheezy repositories. Other than that installing Steam on Linux was painless experience in my case.

Do you recall how you installed it? The official instructions don't really apply to Wheezy (stable) yet. You have to be running Jessie (testing), which is far from stable. I wasn't even able to get a fully functional system running so I gave up on that because this aims to be my only OS on my main [gaming] PC. I need something stable that will work for regular programming and net needs too.

I am considering going the schroot route, but it sounds like for that to work you need to have matching video drivers in both systems, and that may be over my head to maintain properly. Maybe if I install them direct from ATI?

I can't remember the other option. Maybe it was pulling in a couple of testing packages, but in practice I think this would create a shit storm. I'm not sure if Valve is releasing a binary distribution that will "just work". My Google fu always leads to me "you can't do that yet". >:( >:( >:(

Probably a year ago I was running Steam and Counter-Strike: Source in Linux. I think I was using jessie at the time though, or else a wheezy system infested with jessie packages. It worked OK for a short while, but I tried to update packages and everything broke and I gave up.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

bamccaig said:

I'm not sure what I did because now it seems that OpenBox has taken over my desktop. The context menu appears to be OpenBox's, and there's no more option for a desktop wallpaper.

That can be remedied from settings found in the "Desktop Preferences" (pcmanfm --desktop-pref) in the "Advanced" tab.

Quote:

It means if I start Iceweasel, then gVim, and then UXTerm, I can reorder them so that on the far left is UXTerm, then Iceweasel, and then gVim.

I do not recall having to do anything special to allow for this but in my lxde/openbox environment I can simply rearrange running applications by dragging and dropping their icons around in the taskbar.

Quote:

Those might be useful. :) Mind sharing?

In the lxde-rc.xml (e.g. ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml) add the following within the appropriate section:

#SelectExpand
1<!-- custom screenshot script for printscreen key --> 2 <keybind key="Print"> 3 <action name="Execute"> 4 <command>screenshot.sh</command> 5 </action> 6 </keybind> 7<!-- custom window maximization keys --> 8 <keybind key="W-Left"> 9 <action name="UnmaximizeFull"/> 10 <action name="MoveResizeTo"> 11 <width>50%</width> 12 <height>100%</height> 13 <x>0</x> 14 <y>0</y> 15 </action> 16 </keybind> 17 <keybind key="C-W-Up"> 18 <action name="UnmaximizeFull"/> 19 <action name="MoveResizeTo"> 20 <width>50%</width> 21 <height>50%</height> 22 <x>0</x> 23 <y>0</y> 24 </action> 25 </keybind> 26 <keybind key="C-W-Down"> 27 <action name="UnmaximizeFull"/> 28 <action name="MoveResizeTo"> 29 <width>50%</width> 30 <height>50%</height> 31 <x>0</x> 32 <y>-0</y> 33 </action> 34 </keybind> 35 <keybind key="W-Right"> 36 <action name="UnmaximizeFull"/> 37 <action name="MoveResizeTo"> 38 <width>50%</width> 39 <height>100%</height> 40 <x>-0</x> 41 <y>0</y> 42 </action> 43 </keybind> 44 <keybind key="W-A-Up"> 45 <action name="UnmaximizeFull"/> 46 <action name="MoveResizeTo"> 47 <width>50%</width> 48 <height>50%</height> 49 <x>-0</x> 50 <y>0</y> 51 </action> 52 </keybind> 53 <keybind key="W-A-Down"> 54 <action name="UnmaximizeFull"/> 55 <action name="MoveResizeTo"> 56 <width>50%</width> 57 <height>50%</height> 58 <x>-0</x> 59 <y>-0</y> 60 </action> 61 </keybind> 62 <keybind key="W-Up"> 63 <action name="UnmaximizeFull"/> 64 <action name="MoveResizeTo"> 65 <width>100%</width> 66 <height>50%</height> 67 <x>0</x> 68 <y>0</y> 69 </action> 70 </keybind> 71 <keybind key="W-Down"> 72 <action name="UnmaximizeFull"/> 73 <action name="MoveResizeTo"> 74 <width>100%</width> 75 <height>50%</height> 76 <x>0</x> 77 <y>-0</y> 78 </action> 79 </keybind>

The keys are arranged in a way which makes the most sense to me, as the CTRL key is to the left of the W key and the ALT key is to the right of the W key on my keyboard.

So W+{Up,Down,Left,Right} maximizes the window to the {top,bottom,left,right} half of the screen.

C+W+{Up,Down} maximizes to left{top,bottom} quarters of the screen and W+A+{Up,Down} to the right quarters accordingly.

Print key launches the screenshot script.

And the contents of screenshot.sh:

#SelectExpand
1#!/bin/bash 2#custom screenshot script by http://www.dennisbusch.de 3#put into /usr/local/bin and chmod a+x it 4#requires imagemagick and xnviewmp 5 6DATE=`date +%Y%m%d_%H%M%S_%N` 7TARGETDIR="$HOME/screenshots" 8echo $DATE 9echo $TARGETDIR 10if [ ! -d $TARGETDIR ] 11then 12 echo Creating screenshot dir: $TARGETDIR 13 mkdir $TARGETDIR 14fi 15SCREENSHOTTARGET="$TARGETDIR/$DATE.png" 16echo $SCREENSHOTTARGET 17import -window root $SCREENSHOTTARGET 18xnviewmp $SCREENSHOTTARGET

Meanwhile, I found that fancy stats-on-desktop tool I was looking for (it is called conky) and configured it for a couple of hours:
{"name":"609052","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/c\/ec0f4c2c8201a477b6a3a0890a25cd23.png","w":1920,"h":1200,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/c\/ec0f4c2c8201a477b6a3a0890a25cd23"}609052

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Still on Windows 7, waiting to see how 10 will turn out.
{"name":"609053","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/2\/b2944e9b3614d82965669d222ea2e28e.png","w":1366,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/2\/b2944e9b3614d82965669d222ea2e28e"}609053

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Windows 7 with Xubuntu in a VM. Stuck with 8 (literally worse than Hitler. Literally) at work.

My desktop looks like this:
{"name":"white-oak.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/5\/6576dcf4438037b003b3b7795ce2fc6b.jpg","w":600,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/5\/6576dcf4438037b003b3b7795ce2fc6b"}white-oak.jpg

Only thing really notable is that I still use Winamp, and I'm proud of it. 16 MB of RAM is all a damn mp3 player should use, and that's all it does.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

16 MB of RAM is all a damn mp3 player should use

Even that is overkill. I used to run DOSamp on a 4Mb machine.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

LennyLen said:

Even that is overkill. I used to run DOSamp on a 4Mb machine.

Seriously! I ran Winamp in mono / low quality on a 486DX100 (BARELY). Why the hell should any player decoding an MP3, take more than 0-1% CPU usage? I'm looking at you every player other than Winamp in existence.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Why the hell should any player decoding an MP3, take more than 0-1% CPU usage? I'm looking at you every player other than Winamp in existence.

They were using fancy high level languages and constructs? After all, their time is worth much more than a couple million users who might want to do other things while the music plays, or even save battery power on a laptop.

I remember three computers ago, a 381Mhz AMD K6 which took 30% cpu to play an mp3. Ogg being even worse.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

How did this happen?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Crazy Photon asked for a name change?

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

That question comes up at least once a year. :)

Short answer: Magic!

Long answer:
I first joined in April 2001 as #1090. Back then, I only had irregular access to internet (maybe once a month or so or even less frequently). Later when I got internet access at home, I had forgotten about my first account, so I joined again. Eventually I found out I already had an account and they got merged (member number was taken from first account, join date from the second one).

1   2   3 

Go to: