Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Allegro 5 "marketing" :)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro 5 "marketing" :)
beoran
Member #12,636
March 2011

Dennis, well, OK, it's not a "blocker", but it look at the huge bike shed about the logo this thread is. So in that sense it does take a lot of effort that could be spend elsewhere. At least for me it feels like that.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Okay I pick Dizzy's blood splat logo as the official logo. Now get back to work.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Only Mark and I left on the sanity boat. :-/

Leave room for me! I agree with the general sentiment -- these logos just don't work. I like some of the ideas, but .. uhh.. they don't fit.

I posted my contributions mostly to try and shift the focus to Allegro's roots. My purple version got some comments, but I knew it wasn't production material. What I wanted was for everyone to see again what we're all familiar with: The ASCII art logo.

I started using allegro 3 with DJGPP and notepad on my 486. It was the most amazing thing I had ever found on the Internet.

When I was 13.

I wanted to make SNES style video games, and I thought it was a great jumping off point. It grew on me, and here we are.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Derezo said:

I started using allegro 3 with DJGPP and notepad on my 486

Dayumm :) I didn't use allegro 4 until I was about 19 or 20.

Allegro is what has made me into the programmer I am today. I wanted to use allegro not to make games, but really so that I could make any program from the ground up with my own interface and design. I always thought that interfaces/graphics in video games were better than other computer programs, so I figured that if I could make programs at that level I'd be in good shape. I saw that C/C++ is the language to know if you're making things for real and I also liked Allegro's cross-platform ideology.

Recently, I've created several pieces of software for use at work to control the audio, projectors, and stage lighting in our auditorium. All of which are done using Allegro. For me it's not just a library for making games.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I would not be teaching programming at a college without Allegro. I mostly do web stuff now, though I have an ongoing long distance love affair with C.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

@Matthew, What about removing the outdated stuff from "Resource directory" on A.cc? :)

I still think we should change the logo to signal A5 is something completely new.

It's not top-priority, of course, more something "nice to have". Nobody said it was top-priority. At least I've posted some more or less useful stuff which some people liked.

I think I started using Allegro when I was about 11-12. But this isn't the nostalgia thread. ::)

@Thomasu:
Had a look at the repository of the website. I think I can't change the top-right search script from there. The search has only "A4 api", which is the default; would be nice to have A5 there. The form links to http://alleg.sourceforge.net/search/search.py.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Polybios said:

A quick patch for dramatically improving the look of the official website would be to just remove the yellow background of the sidebar[1]. Maybe we can at least agree on that?

No quick patches please, that's literally design by committee. Everybody makes one quick patch, and the end result is a monstrosity :P.

Plus, I don't agree.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Well, I think this:
{"name":"608532","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/e\/ee276f492f02baa5c0852b37791e5244.png","w":1054,"h":887,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/e\/ee276f492f02baa5c0852b37791e5244"}608532

would already be better than this:
{"name":"608531","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/6\/d679b3eb8f92391781165334a00fb5ee.png","w":1056,"h":889,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/6\/d679b3eb8f92391781165334a00fb5ee"}608531

As you don't seem to agree to big changes, I thought we might as well improve the site by just changing some small parts of it.

Who is responsible for accepting patches? Peter Wang?

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

The procedure is to send the patch to the mailing list http://liballeg.org/maillist.html#AD and then have it ignored for months wait for a developer to commit it.

I should point out, again, that what's really needed is a main page redesign and all those nice points I raised on page 1 or 2 of this thread :P. I know logos and "web design" are fun to talk about, but that's mostly it. It's deviating quite a bit from the stated purpose of this thread.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

SiegeLord said:

what's really needed is a main page redesign

???
Now, what does that imply? Doesn't "redesign" involve "web design", too?

If main page implies "front page text", I made some, I hope, constructive comments to your last text some pages earlier.

I could also clean up the HTML stuff of the existing website to use a CSS-layout instead of tables so it's easier to work with in the future (i. e. just recreate the page as it is now).
But if the ones in charge are just opposed to changing anything for the sake of it, I'm not going to waste my time any further with this.

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

{"name":"5e4affe525f1ccb952f5a028a9bcf9c3.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/e\/5e4affe525f1ccb952f5a028a9bcf9c3.png","w":256,"h":256,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/e\/5e4affe525f1ccb952f5a028a9bcf9c3"}5e4affe525f1ccb952f5a028a9bcf9c3.png

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Polybios said:

I could also clean up the HTML stuff of the existing website to use a CSS-layout instead of tables so it's easier to work with in the future (i. e. just recreate the page as it is now).

I think this would be a good place to start. I would like to offer to do a redesign, but if I were to do it I would "do it right" and it would take me a while. I have many things to do ATM, an I could only see myself accomplishing that realistically with a will and a way.

That being said, after looking at the existing site, I would start with a cleansing of the HTML for a CSS layout. :)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Well, this would be great! :)

I had a closer look, there's actually almost no need to clean up anything, because there's only a table layout at the top. I'm sorry guys.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The site was somewhat recently re-done fyi. So I'd have been surprised if it was still using ancient web dev techniques. It doesn't look the best colour wise, but its still pretty clean and functional.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

After going through the whole site I noticed there are numerous dead links (10+ of the A4 tutorials for example). Maybe removing them could be a useful starting point for cleaning it up?

Among the A4 tutorials are some dead links refering to
http://alleg.sourceforge.net/docs/...

It's a bit difficult, I don't know a good criterion except for links being dead. How many / what A4 tutorials are still needed there? Should they be preserved for posterity? If so, a prominent place of the website is probably not the right place for that, I guess?

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

On the note of featuring games made with allegro, check out the java-gaming.org forum. Specifically the show case and featured games. I think it's pretty impressive. I've been spending a little time there since using LibGDX :-/

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

All that A4 tutorials may be a little out of date even if actually reachable methinks...Oly, try to split up a "legacy links" page and submit the patch...might as well just test the system no?

About featuring Games with allegro, recent contributions by Trent, Michael Moffit, Kovarex, Schyfis (ok maybe not so "recent") and Todd Cope should be plenty appropriate for forefront site (successful indiegogo campaigns, actual preordering, steam greenlights...), and I guess more could come (and are there, I know for sure one game on gog.com was sponsored here).

Someone even did a rip of Sauerbraten porting it to Allegro but there is no trace left of it...

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

PoVRAZOR
Member #3,083
January 2003

Allegro was fun for the time. From DOS to Windows during the wild evolution of DirectX, it was great. It was one of the first middlewares I trusted. Many fond memories.

I started migrating away from Allegro almost a decade ago, but I will always remember how important it was to me. Thanks guys for making it great. :)

--
Sig's are for suckers

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

OMG, is it the PoV, the guy who runs LudumDare? Didn't expect a post here :D

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

PoVRAZOR said:

I started migrating away from Allegro almost a decade ago

And what are you using now?

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

He's using Java.

;-p

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

You should check out Allegro5 8-)

It is modern, clean and intuitive, see the list of features on ... oh wait. :P

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

PoVRAZOR said:

Allegro was fun for the time. From DOS to Windows during the wild evolution of DirectX, it was great. It was one of the first middlewares I trusted. Many fond memories.

Yes, I remember A3 being one of the only gaming libraries that actually "just worked."

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Go to: