Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Allegro Cube Engine

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro Cube Engine
SChalice
Member #14,510
August 2012

I ripped SDL out of Sauerbraten and substituted Allegro 5. The goal is to provide IPhone and Android support to Cube 2.

I venture to say this is one of the better Allegro based game engines out there.

{"name":"Cube2.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/e\/3e76a01e5cfa7aa2f59425c3054ffa99.png","w":639,"h":579,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/3\/e\/3e76a01e5cfa7aa2f59425c3054ffa99"}Cube2.png

{"name":"Cube1.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/d\/8deac907040730df030450486417626c.png","w":770,"h":619,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/d\/8deac907040730df030450486417626c"}Cube1.png

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

<3 Sauerbraten

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

SChalice said:

...substituted Allegro 5. The goal is to provide IPhone and Android support...

8-)8-)8-)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

I was considering using Sauerbraten at one point for a few of my game ideas. I doubt I'll ever get around to said ideas now, but if I ever did, A5 + Sauerbraten = Win! ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

SChalice
Member #14,510
August 2012

I've developed and worked with many game engines in my life. I've looked over the source code for Torque, Unreal and Ogre3D. Compared to these, Sauerbraten's (Lee Salzman) code is absolutely fantastic; very concise, understandable and easy to work with (although it has ZERO comments).

Allegro is also well coded and the port from SDL is somewhat straightforward although it appears SDL has more high level functionality.

I am currently getting a comparable framerate to the original version and I have almost everything working. Keep in mind that it is an OpenGl engine and not a true Allegro graphics port.

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

Funny, Sauerbraten's source code has always looked like one big mess to me.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

SChalice
Member #14,510
August 2012

"Sauerbraten's source code has always looked like one big mess to me."

Its definately not big. Probably the most concise code I have ever seen for such incredible capabilities. I can think of a handful of 2D games that I have worked on that had 3 times the amount source code. Compile times are amazing.

Yes I will release my code. Give me an email address...

I really wanted to incorporate my work into Sauerbraten's source but without that team's and Allegro developer's support, it would probably just rot.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

So um, is it just me, or does anyone else think of this:

video

When seeing this thread?

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

SChalice said:

I really wanted to incorporate my work into Sauerbraten's source but without that team's and Allegro developer's support, it would probably just rot.

Why not put it up on github or something?

Go to: