Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Alternatives to Skype

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Alternatives to Skype
blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

You don't test a major new feature on the entire userbase ::) That's not how "it" is done.

It wasn't a feature, it was a change. And yes, "it" is sometimes done that way.

Quote:

I completely disagree.

Sorry, but you're wrong. If you want, you can go and change the settings so that you see all the updates/videos from channels that you're subscribed to. Not broken, just a change that confused some users.

Quote:

its just randomly not monetizing videos that would normally be monetized with no rhyme or reason

They don't have to give anyone "rhyme or reason", as stated in their ToS. People in agreement with their ToS should understand this, but often users forget (or never even knew) what they've agreed to.

Quote:

They regularly break things

You still have yet to show us anything that was pushed to production that was broken aside from this content-id issue.

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Sorry, but you're wrong. If you want, you can go and change the settings so that you see all the updates/videos from channels that you're subscribed to. Not broken, just a change that confused some users.

There was no setting. If there is now, I've never found it.

Maybe you're talking about how they started defaulting to the "What to Watch" page instead? I am not. I'm talking about the "Subscribers" page. Which should always, ALWAYS show all videos from people I'm subscribed to. period. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Its like there's glitches in their system, and they can't always find all the information. Sometimes videos that got missed will suddenly show up 12+ hours later, but in the correct chronological place in the list, so you have to scroll down to find it.

Quote:

They don't have to give anyone "rhyme or reason", as stated in their ToS. People in agreement with their ToS should understand this, but often users forget (or never even knew) what they've agreed to.

I'm sure they have stuff in their ToS covering every conceivable scenario just to cover their ass. Everyone does. Now, is it acceptable or good business practice? No, it isn't.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

I'm talking about the "Subscribers" page

So am I. It looks like you're mistaking changes to the behavior of the service as bugs. I agree that when these changes to the subscriber page were rolled out, it was weird, but a minute of exploring how it worked solved any quirks I had with it.

Quote:

Now, is it acceptable or good business practice? No, it isn't.

Sure it is; if a person doesn't like their ToS, they don't have to use the service.

However, I do remember the problem where some users were automagically unsubscribed from certain channels. Not sure if there was a statement about this, but that may have been a blatant snafu.

You also have to realize that you have also agreed to their ToS, so if things sometimes don't go absolutely perfectly, you just have to deal with it. You can complain all you want, but remember that you're voluntarily using the service. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to use it :P

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

So am I. It looks like you're mistaking changes to the behavior of the service as bugs. I agree that when these changes to the subscriber page were rolled out, it was weird, but a minute of exploring how it worked solved any quirks I had with it.

/randomly/ not showing me all the videos available from the people I'm subscribed to isn't a quirk, its a bug.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

randomly not showing me all the videos available from the people I'm subscribed to isn't a quirk, its a bug.

No it's not. It literally takes seconds to see all the videos from people you're subscribed to. Just go into your subscriber page settings and turn it on. Once again, not a bug.

---

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

You'll have to explain to me where that setting is, because it isn't there in any of the youtube settings pages. As far as I can see.

And again, what is happening is random, and sometimes fixes itself.

--

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

You'll have to explain to me where that setting is

In the upper right hand corner where it says "Manage n subscriptions"

Funny thing: I'm not sure when this was rolled out, but my sub page is simply showing all content by default without having to enable it in the settings. You might have the same rollout too.

---

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

None of those options say "Always show me all video uploads in feed". they have to do with NOT sending you updates via mobile/email, and filtering out the G+ posts of the channel creator.

--

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

{"name":"608319","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/0\/a0147bca4d427e93007686b5b667eb74.png","w":286,"h":163,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/0\/a0147bca4d427e93007686b5b667eb74"}608319

---

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, that just filters out text updates and G+ comments.

--

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Derezo said:

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism.

This is quite the sig for me. ;D

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Yeah, that just filters out text updates and G+ comments.

If you want to see everything, just click on "All activity". You're complaining about literally nothing. The solution to your problem is right in front of you.

---

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I don't WANT To see everything. I want to see all videos. Which no matter what that setting is set to, doesn't always happen (some of my subscriptions have that set, some don't). Its a random glitch. a bug.

--

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Ooohhhhh you're saying that some new videos are not shown for channels you're subscribed to. That makes more sense.

Yeah I wonder what that's all about since it looks like it's been happening for a long ass time. Luckily I haven't been affected by it :P

---

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

A lot of people just haven't noticed ;) sometimes I don't notice till I realize I haven't seen a specific video in a series, and have to go back to the person's channel.

Sometimes I notice it just because a bunch of channels have nothing new that day, which is very strange because most of them put out at least one video a day. at least one.

Really annoying.

--

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

Uh... Skype alternatives? Hello...?

Oh who am I kidding? This is the Allegro.cc forums. I should've expected instant thread derailment. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Oh who am I kidding? This is the Allegro.cc forums. I should've expected instant thread derailment. :P

I made a couple further up, after the last time you complained ;)

Two options are Teamspeak and Mumble. then theres other IM programs that support voice chat.

--

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

We've already done the whole argument about YouTube thing on here lately

Well, the OP decided to break into that can of worms again! :P

Quote:

it's actually really important that I find a suitable alternative to Skype

Please refer to the first two replies.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Usually it takes months for them to even fix a bug, soooo...

Ho ho ho yeah and Allegro.CC bugs are fixed within minutes and retains a 99.9% up-time. ::)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Ho ho ho yeah and Allegro.CC bugs are fixed within minutes and retains a 99.9% up-time. ::)

Youtube has a massive team of developers and testers. We (used to) have Matthew. I'll let that sink in.

--

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Allegro also has less to maintain.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

One of them makes a billion or two a year, the other loses money.

--

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

One of them makes a billion or two a year, the other loses money.

YouTube doesn't lose that much money!

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

The FSF has this on their list of high-priority projects, alongside video-editing. Here's hoping Jitsi and PiTiVi grow featureful enough to fill in those gaping holes.

YouTube doesn't lose that much money!

Ahaha ;D

1   2   3 

Go to: