Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » my absence and question about ubuntu console

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
my absence and question about ubuntu console
William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Hi again again guys,

I've not been answering my other thread because I've been offline since v. soon after I posted it.

I'm currently threadbare nerves-wise.

I'm trying to find the next biggest prime number which is no small computing feet.

So far I've increased the number of computers I've got from 1 to about 7 or 8.

I'm buying second-hand ones. My best catch was a 2.8GHz Pentium computer for 30 pounds.

Anyway a few days ago my computers suddenly wouldn't connect to the internet (hence my last post).

I've spent hours talking to people on the phone. Engineers have been to check the box near my flat and a new modem was sent.
Finally we randomly got one of my other computers working.

When I stopped talking to the man on the phone, straight away after I realised what had been wrong all along. My lead from the computer to the modem was broken. It was a faulty lead.

The computer I mentioned had an unauthorised copy of windows on it and also because I wanted to use linux anyway, I've installed ubuntu on it.

Now I expect which version I've got is important in case it isn't I'll present my problem first :-

I want to run prime95.exe and I assume that I need to open a console to do so but I cannot find how to do so.

I have been thinking that perhaps they've taken it away from the user's hands.

So there it is.. please help.

BTW - I'm a desperate state at the moment

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

Welcome back. I know what it's like to be disconnected. Actually, some of my best days have been the Internet-free ones, now that I think about it.

What do you mean by "the next biggest prime number?"

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Great, thanks. I got the most work on my game done when I didn't have a connection.

What I mean is not what I said but this :

The next biggest prime number known to man or at least a bigger prime than the current biggest prime number known to man which is

2^(57885161) - 1

it's got more than about 17 million digits!

So I'm trying to run prime95 ( see www.mersenne.org ) from ubuntu but can't find the console.

Last bit of energy now gone - /me goes to bed.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

You mean you can't find the linux console? Look for a Terminal app, like gnome-terminal, konsole, or xterm.

You'll need wine in order to run prime95.exe though. Or you can install mprime which is supposedly equivalent.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

furinkan
Member #10,271
October 2008

Well, welcome back!

I just moved, so I'm sitting in my old house which is completely empty except for a couple speakers and a DSL router. I feel your frustration. :p I don't even have a chair.

My arse is asleep... :'(

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Install Wine. Then you can run any exe like normal, unless Wine isn't ready for it yet.

If nothing happens when you run an exe, just open terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) and run "wine prime95.exe" which may give hints. You can run winetricks to install missing dlls and other stuff.

Being able to open a terminal in your current directory from nautilus is also very useful.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/207442/how-to-add-open-terminal-here-to-nautilus-context-menu

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I was checking out calculator programs for Linux today, and the author of calc had some things to say about large primes.

Go to: