Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » trustworthiness of dropbox

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
trustworthiness of dropbox
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I believe I could mangle data far enough with my bignum library to XOR it with the result, and it wouldn't be decipherable by anything the NSA had, as long as I salted it or something so they couldn't just figure it out by sending a bunch of zeros. I keep reading that "you can't do it yourself", but if it took 10 minutes to decrypt with the proper passwordphraseparagraph on a 3Ghz cpu I think that would suffice.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

type568 said:

Well, we talk about Trident II, aren't we?

568, I might seem like I do, but I don't know that much about all this.

I'll get them sent to you if I get my hands on them ;)

BTW - In case anyone's interested, I downloaded TrueCrypt pulled the network lead out of the wall, closed the curtains and made a 40GB volume with a 20 character password.

I'm actually making myself paranoid which is daft but then I always thought people who seemed paranoid to me were stupid. These days I'm not so sure.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

You think I've got a 20 character file with a 40GB password?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

40GB password

Let me see, at 5 keystrokes per second, 24/7, it'd take 253 years to type in that password. It hardly seems worth it.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

That's right, which was why I was surprised that Weapon_S asked what he asked.

I know he's not silly. As far as know, the file itself can't be used to work out the password but I'm trying to see an object through a cloud of dense grey gas by trying to work that out.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Perhaps he meant 20Gb file with a 40 character password.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

weapon_S said:

Who types their password manually these days? ::)

I'd suggest a poll again :-

I do / I don't

I think that most people would say go for the first option.

How do you type it with a program ?

Come on, let us know and we'll use 40 GB passwords from now on :)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I'd bust my data cap.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

That wouldn't be good.

I think I can see why people don't use programs to 'type in the password'.

It would mean either storing the password on the machine it applies to which wouldn't be clever, or running the program with -password4 or something like that.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I think what weapon_S means is using a Password Manager. You just copy paste and you can have unique random passwords on all the sites you go.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I have infrequently used passwords in a text file, with a misleading name, in an out of the way place. They're not exactly plaintext, either. Now get off my lawn!

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

They're not exactly plaintext, either.

Sounds like they're still in use to me ;)

Quote:

Now get off my lawn!

What does that mean and who's it aimed at ?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Now get off my lawn!

It's what a grouchy old suburbanite guy yells at teen-agers taking a shortcut through his yard.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Don't have to be old, but it is the stereotype ;D

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Bad I'm afraid. I'll work on it though.

/* EDIT */

But then, I didn't think it was a joke, you (all) see.

Actually I was getting worried about my recent activities on the forum having a negative impact on other member's general well-being (including sanity and anger management). I can quite understand - I think Arthur was feeling that his quality of life had gone down some since my onslaught.

I set a system restore point at about 1 week ago though. I'll restore and see how I get on at getting on with people.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

his quality of life had gone down some since my onslaught.

I suffered an onslaught? Why doesn't anybody tell me these things?

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

If you would get out of your old house filled with old stuff more then maybe you would have noticed? It is, after all, old news.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

<looks at the lawn, tells the kids to get the hell off> Nup! Still don't see it!

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

<wrong thread>

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I posted more than anyone for 2+ days right?

I had allegro.cc withdrawal symptoms to work off.

So I called it an onslaught (semi-jokingly) - I might have really been referencing the thread on the ten stone testicle since Arthur had to make a stand there.

My onslaught which was really just a creative communication intending no harm was aimed only at those people I replied to, that it to say I speak to one person at a
time /* EDIT : most of the time */ but insofar as 'we' exist as a community, I was seperate and demanding a lot of 'us' or 'us - me'.

I think feeling included is an important thing to anyone using allegro, especially the newbs who probably feel up against the 'we'.

Like bammers says 'William is a bit paranoid.'

I'm not sure I can change that, but I take medication to manage these things.

/* Go on - someone tell me I'm too self-important. */

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

AFAIK the most paranoid approach: put data on media carried with you; encrypt the data with reliable tools; scramble buffer[1]after use; optionally unplug internet whenever accessing confidential files. Maybe you can even have a "broken" filesystem so the media look empty/non-formatted to most users.
Seriously: how are you feeling? Worrying about other people might be sign about your own condition.

References

1. I'm not sure, but I heard you can retrieve data from USB media from there. Might be memory, might be HD.
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I saw a utility a week ago that'll add another file with the exact same name to a directory on a floppy, it was claimed all file managers list only the first file with a given name. IIRC, you can just delete the filename displayed (innocent data) to expose the other file (terr'st info). I don't know if this would also work with hard disks.

1   2   3 

Go to: