Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » trustworthiness of dropbox

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
trustworthiness of dropbox
William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Anyone else here use dropbox ?

Being paranoid, I'm wondering how safe my data is on it.

I'm not even sure if there's a login name and password for it.

If someone's coming into my flat while I'm out (they've got my key), then they could pinch all my data.

Everyone in Britain is indignant and up there own arses about American snooping.

For this reason I decided to make sure I keep using google, windows and anything American. You know, against the grain thinking.

But I would like to know if dropbox is safe.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

If you're paranoid, it doesn't matter how safe your data is, because you won't accept the truth anyway.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I feel like this was discussed before.

If you want true security, you should do your own encryption (with OSS tools). I'd suggest EncFS for Linux if you insist upon using Dropbox. Alternatively drop Dropbox and switch to something like BitTorrent Sync.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Anything stored on american servers or at least by american companies is immediately accessible by the NSA and in general the US Government.

That doesn't mean they don't have access to files not stored via us companies.

Encrypting files just makes them suspect you more. Because you must have something to hide if you're hiding it. If they see encrypted content over the wire they explicitly single out your communications.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Encrypting files just makes them suspect you more. Because you must have something to hide if you're hiding it. If they see encrypted content over the wire they explicitly single out your communications.

That may be true, but if you have good encryption they still can't decrypt it. If you exhibit no other "terrorist" traits you're probably in the clear.

If you only need to conceal small amounts of data, you'd probably want to hide it via steganography. "Aw, it's just some stupid pictures of cats."

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

That may be true, but if you have good encryption they still can't decrypt it.

There is a reason they are building a multi billion dollar datacenter. ;)

Quote:

If you exhibit no other "terrorist" traits you're probably in the clear.

They still think it gives them a right to take your stuff (or keep you out of the country or put you in jail) if you don't decrypt it for them.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

They still think it gives them a right to take your stuff (or keep you out of the country or put you in jail) if you don't decrypt it for them.

I'd guess that would lead to lots of people putting up harmless content (or even streams right from a random number generator) onto cloud backup just to troll them, like the people who tattoo some sort of DVD code onto their arms etc.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It depends if its worth your time. They can and will reject your entry to the US if you don't comply. If you needed to get in for one reason or another, you're now screwed.

I'll probably format my machine and go in with a fresh install, and then copy my stuff from home once I get there.

--

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

My options seem to be :

Use encrypted file on dropbox.

Use encrpyted file on my machine.

Use encrypted USB file.

Use the thing Siege suggested.

I went for the 42nd option ::)

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Son, you're going through a lot of trouble to hide stuff. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

Exactly what are you hiding? That red avatar also seems suspect. Sir, have you ever heard of Mr. Stalin? Hammer and sickle? Please step with us sir...

I personally would use BitTorrent Sync. Actually, I'm going to install it right now. It seems legit.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I'm hiding my game code, my photos, artwork I've done, personal letters to the mental health services, code, code, code, more code and I thought while I'm at it
I could hide the manufacturing plans I stole from BAE for the trident nuclear warhead ;D

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It was nice knowing you.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Oh sell me the warhead plans. I'll resell to Putin.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

It was nice knowing you.

And you Arthur. Thanks for all those early morning replies. I'll never forget the time you warned me against working out the first Google digits of PI (I didn't understand why you thought I was going to do that), because I'd get taken to court for copyright enfringement!

Why would Putin need the trident plans?

50 Megatons in 1950. He must have some serious stuff ATM.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

50 Megatons in 1950. He must have some serious stuff ATM.

Most of it has probably been stolen. The old USSR missile silos are missing some sensitive "equipment".

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

You've ever seen all those books behind the lawyers desk? Or your math professor? Putin has tons of books on the shelves behind his desk with titles like "Destroying teh World for Dummies", "Destroy the World in 21 Days or your money back", "Kill Everybody Unleashed" etc. as does Obama.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Obama doesn't need those books. He has a big red phone.

--

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Most of it has probably been stolen. The old USSR missile silos are missing some sensitive "equipment".

The great fear is that it's been smuggled through places south of Russia into the strange countries there into the hands of terrorists.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I like Putin better. He doesn't bullshit around. He censors media and makes people disappear without hesitation. And its not like hes going out of his way to deny or explain anything.

Why would he? He is not ashamed to be the ruler with the iron fist.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, putin doesn't give a shit. He doesn't like you, you go away.

--

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I can feel my freedom of speech contracting. :-/

EDIT : Hey, I guess I'm not the only one.

All I can say is, if an American comes knocking on my door soon, I'll be sure of what someone I knew when I 20 said which was "The Americans have no sense of irony".

I'd only ever known about 5 or 6 Americans so I didn't know if what he was saying was true but then I discovered Bill Hicks and decided he (the person I knew) was using his backside to talk.

@Matthew - perhaps this thread should be deleted before the **** hits the fan ?

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Everyone in Britain is indignant and up there own arses about American snooping.

Looking for mics there?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I like the sound of Spider Oak's policy, which is that they can't possibility give your data to anyone, because they themselves don't have the power to decrypt it. That sounds good to me, and that's what I use.

However, I don't know of any easy way to actually confirm that their software works the way they claim it does - so in the end it still comes down to trust. For the time being, I'm satisfied that my data is sufficiently private on Spider Oak, but if I was doing some seriously secret stuff I'd probably add another layer of security by using TrueCrypt to encrypt my stuff before sending it to Spider Oak.

-----------

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Well, we talk about Trident II, aren't we?
I'm sure the guy would like to have'em for countermeasures development. And well.. Of course I ain't gonna meet him in person for the deal. But everything is only with his permission ;)

1   2   3 

Go to: