Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Spread the word!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Spread the word!
AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

I have put a project on Indie GoGo to finish the book I have been writting.
What do you think about the idea?
Please share and have a look yourself ;)
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/game-programming-book/x/3080689

www.anothergames.com

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I hereby sentence you to writing the word 'writing' 500 times (with pencil and paper) so you'll never misspell it again! >:(

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

The minimum I can give is $25? Good luck with that brother. :P

In capitalist America bank robs you.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I think the $25 is for perks only. Less then $25, no credit. Might be a tad high though.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Ah, right you are. I'll let myself out. :-X

In capitalist America bank robs you.

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

Thanks all for your replies!
You will get a free hug in the meanwhile :D
Added a 10$ so you get the idea ;)
BTW, if the project won't get funded, all get their money back!!!
Please share :)

www.anothergames.com

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

This whole thing would have made a lot more sense 21 days ago... 8-)

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

Here it's 23, sorry.... ;D

www.anothergames.com

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Is there a PDF version available?

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

If the project gets finished, there will surely be

www.anothergames.com

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I have to agree with gnolam, the lack of knowledge evidenced in the book itself and on your forum posts shows you are far from qualified from publishing a book on Allegro 5. Unfortunately your ability to write is even worse.

I know you have good intentions, but I feel your book, if published, would do far more harm to Allegro than good.

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

I feel like this world hasn't yet finished to astound me.

Talk about overconfidence there, I heartily agree with gnolam...you aren't qualified to write such a book.

Man, how many years on game programming have you on your back? pls share projects of your portfolio...oh wait...

Please seriously reconsider....this seems more and more a joke but I fearit's not given your general attitude.

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Alex-G, please, don't get discouraged by everyone. But consider getting back to this project after a few years. Instead, use your enthusiasm on creating more games.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Johan, while I heartily agree with your tone, I also think the guy needs a hard reality check on what he is doing.

I mean: he.wants.to.write.a.book on game programming with allegro 5

I may as well write a book on Nuclear Physycs for dummies for that matter: it's a (sad) joke.

Alex-G needs to focus, hone his skills and train hard.

And change, seriously, attitude.

So I strongly hope he gets discouraged in this project by everyone's words.

He's also doing the campaign itself wrong...there's a perk for financing a bulky 83% of the project...to me this does NOT convey a professional & serious image.

Would this really be spread around, he would lose credibility in front of a lot of people.

But of course this is only my opinion and this is a free world after all.

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

Thanks for your replies!
I didn't get discouraged than, imagine now!!! :D
Also, I know a lot of people hate sharing, this is why they say bad stuff ;)
We will defeat them all! ;D

None sniffin OpenGL..... :-X

www.anothergames.com

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

pkrcel said:

I may as well write a book on Nuclear Physycs for dummies for that matter

Someone did just that [1] and was hugely successful, even spawning off a world religion.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

Also, I know a lot of people hate sharing, this is why they say bad stuff

This is how you miss the whole point of discussion, completely.

FAIL.

Elias said:

Someone did just that and was hugely successful, even spawning off a world religion.

Makes my point even more valid, I guess. :P

Let's only hope there won't be the Church of Allegrology in our future.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Also, I know a lot of people hate sharing, this is why they say bad stuff

This shows that you have a lack of understanding. People that hate sharing don't bother posting. I was going to ignore this thread as I feel the same as gnolam, LennyLen, pkrcel, and Johan. Now see, I'm far more blunt about my advice. If you can't even understand what people are telling you then how the hell do you think you are the one to write a book about game programming or allegro5.

I've been here 12 years (on and off) and even I wouldn't presume to think I could write a book about either. The advice I give beginner programmers on cplusplus.com is actually the advice I was given by these guys when learning C++. I've been programming in C++ for a long time and never challenged myself so I don't consider myself an expert, but rather still just a beginner. In all honesty, if I had to chose between your book or another source I would chose the Allegro Wiki and Coding Made Easy's Youtube Tutorials.

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Some constructive feedback: submit your book to a native English speaker for grammatical correction, after that it won't look as bad as it does now.

In order to get more feedback from us, share a PDF version, this save us time.

Good luck. :)

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

According to this page, he is letting a native English speaker edit the book. Am I right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

Some chapters of the book have been edited by a very good friend. (native English)

@specter
Even if you have 12 years of programming, you might be in front of the computer 1 hour a day....
Also, when it comes to patterns, mvc, oop, design etc, that is the programmers ability in a way.
There are programmers who never switched to oop.
When I first started oop, procedural programming felt so stupid and that is how I think of it. Others think that procedural is better, so it all depends on which way you go.
Other people have said bad stuff to me because I learn web development and C++ programming in the same time.
I started programming games since I registered on this forums and now I am making my own library of objects.
This basically means that in 1.5 years, creating a library in OOP is tremendous amount of work and still, none told you that the library is 2D or 3D.

Please ask yourself, if you could do so much in 1.5 years of C++ programming.
Remember that the book took a week to finish, but a lot to edit.

Oh, if I had to choose between any source, Mike Geig would be the first.

@paul
Thanks!

www.anothergames.com

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Some chapters of the book have been edited by a very good friend. (native English)

Just because somebody is an English speaker does not mean they are any good at writing in English. As an example, the very first paragraph of your book contains either a grammatical error or bizarre choice of words in every single sentence.

If those few pages took "a lot" to edit, then fire your editor, as it looks like they haven't even bothered.

There are a lot of professionally written book already available on Game Development. Nobody is going to pay any attention to yours if it remains so poorly written. It doesn't matter what you are trying to say if you can't actually say it properly.

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

Yeah, but the books you are talking about cost money and the editors want money too.
As I said, "some chapters", not everything was edited.

www.anothergames.com

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Yeah, but the books you are talking about cost money and the editors want money too.

That still doesn't change the fact that most people will judge your book on first impressions and won't even bother to read beyond a few pages.

There are even more free online sources available on game programming than there are commercial books.

1   2   3 

Go to: