Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » SantaHack 2012

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
SantaHack 2012
Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

And I forgot that sin() and cos() take radians, but OGL uses degrees. Two hours shot to hell!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

Don't you love it when that happens?

Yeah, it has taken me this far just to finish my stupid engine

Same here :-/

--------------------------------------------------
"If only our dreams were fires to ignite, then we could let the whole world burn" -Emery

My blog: http://joshuadover.tumblr.com

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Fishcake
Member #8,704
June 2007

<excuse for not finishing>
I don't think I can finish my entry in time. It's only around 20% done. It's my first time working on that particular genre, so it was a tough challenge. I'll upload the code to github and continue working on it in the future (well, eventually, I hope..), since I think the idea I have in mind is kind of cool.
</excuse for not finishing>

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

I'm going to have to submit an unfinished entry as well. I had some things sprung on me unexpectedly IRL, and I've got to go to work in like an hour :-/

"If only our dreams were fires to ignite, then we could let the whole world burn" -Emery

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

I think I'm going to be disappointing as well, I forgot I had a family thing today so I got nothing accomplished.
I will however make a serious attempt to finish in time for the later two dates, and I don't see why I shouldn't at least get a new year's gift ready :)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

You've seen somebody who's gotten their center of gravity too far forward, and they're trying to run fast enough to keep from facediving into the pavement? That's what I feel like right now, and the game is rapidly turning into a Big Ball of Mud due to taking unwarrented shortcuts on top of unwarrented shortcuts. I won't actually get to do all the tasks, but it might be interesting to look at.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I submitted my incomplete entry anyway, but I don't know if the Santahack Web site will still deliver it. I am far from finished, but I gave it a shot and got something [mediocre] accomplished. :-[ As is typical of a programmer, I still plan to finish it. 8-)

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I too have spent too much time on the engine... but the end product is relatively good, if completely silent due to the lack of any sounds. I made my game completely multi-player, but unfortunately it requires a server with a public IP address (or you can use port forwarding)... I'll probably implement a dedicated server sometime in the coming week or two so I can try it with people outside my immediate LAN :P.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I just got home and so tired I can't see straight, gotta crash, just might wake up in time to try compile on Windows just because before I submit it. If not, Baf said something about a grace period.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I'm really disappointed to be submitting here in 2 1/2 hours. I'm just getting to the good parts, just barely getting going here. Damn dude. I AM gonna finish this game to prototype status and give it to my guy, hopefully by New Years...

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Is the first deadline strict? I'd need one hour more...

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I finished the basics but didn't have time to implement the win/loose system.

Anyway it was good :-)

It helped me restarting some particles things :-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I woke up at 12:03 UTC, wasted an hour and a half trying unsuccessfully to get it working in Windows while the broadband went up and down, then gave up to upload what I had only to find out the time had run out. No great loss. I put the zipfile in the paperclip if you want to play with it. I'm going back to work on my gui now.

[EDIT]

I see they're putting up screenshots below!

{"name":"607069","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/a\/faf27c3ae5d981f1973578cd806f81df.png","w":797,"h":592,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/a\/faf27c3ae5d981f1973578cd806f81df"}607069

That's supposed to be the farmhouse for a Harvest Moon clone.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Note to my gift recipient... I figured out the crashing bug this morning (apparently Windows really doesn't like programs writing to stdout when they are not run from the console), so if you want a binary that works more reliably, PM me and I'll send it along to you :P (I literally just nuked all the diagnostic text output).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Here's the source code for everything I came up with over the week. Did not finish what I had hoped to, but am in a really good position to move forward now.
Eagle5GUI + Allegro5backend + Squire game source code

Binaries to follow later when I have fast internet again. Just 3 simple screens to show for now, nothing special.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I coded until 6am yesterday and fell asleep. Then woke up way past the deadline. So either I was out of the grace period already or couldn't find the upload button, but my entry is here anyway:

http://allegro5.org/sleighrace.zip

It's completely unfinished though.

{"name":"607068","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/9\/19cbe98048f5e4aba0dd334fa2430426.jpg","w":1280,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/9\/19cbe98048f5e4aba0dd334fa2430426"}607068

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

_Kronk_
Member #12,347
November 2010

I don't even have anything to submit. I'm barely clinging to consciousness at the moment...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Elias, that looks awesome. :o Great work!

Append:

This is as far as I got. :-[

{"name":"607070","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b32283da1e51fe5bb013ec12fded1df6.png","w":816,"h":638,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/3\/b32283da1e51fe5bb013ec12fded1df6"}607070

I guess it doesn't really spoil anything since it's not even a game yet. :P Hopefully my receiver gets a different gift, despite me submitting this. :-X

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Okay, here's the binaries and the source so far. It's called Squire :
Windows binary, data, dlls and source
Data only
Source only

{"name":"607071","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/c\/5cd9215d794bf3c2bb2124e4ca693cc0.jpg","w":800,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/c\/5cd9215d794bf3c2bb2124e4ca693cc0"}607071

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Grace period was under an hour. It was meant to give a short period of extra time for snags uploading, not to give extra debugging or sleeping time. :P

Fishcake
Member #8,704
June 2007

That's supposed to be the farmhouse for a Harvest Moon clone.

That sounds like the game on my wish list! ;D As for my entry, I have uploaded it to github, in case anyone is interested. It's supposed to be a combo-based fighting game. I used c++0x (first time!), so you'll probably suffer to get it compiled using the Makefile though (I know I did).

{"name":"607072","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/b\/4b3e0149b281ab44b4ad139b0ef9c645.png","w":914,"h":736,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/b\/4b3e0149b281ab44b4ad139b0ef9c645"}607072

P.S. The game is 2d, despite the background making it look a bit 3d. :P

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

One question, why is there a 2MB upload limit? Is it to discourage people from trying to do too much, or is it to help out those guys on dial-up (both of them), or is it some sort of misguided retro nostalgia?

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I'd say the size limit is just because it's cool. Like demos. For example this is 4096 bytes, for all code and data:

video

Each SantaHack entry has 512 times (!) as much space.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

So sorry for my recipient. I only gave a gameplay demo with really basic framework.

I'm currently in my far family and couldn't add one more day of work into it.

Let me promise you there, as a Christmas present, that I will make that entry a full game before the end of mid January.

I will just bring it to the state I've made in my head when reading my assignment.

And I will port it to Linux, for god's sakes !!

Anyway, merry Christmas to you all :-p

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Go to: