Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » SantaHack 2012

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
SantaHack 2012
BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

It's time for SantaHack again! Though you won't see the conclusion to it, December 21 and all.

The rules are posted over at the site. Registration begins on Tuesday (12/4). Backend of the site has been totally rewritten, to replace the hacky crap that was in place for last year (and to add proper support for viewing prior years). 2011's data isn't totally in yet, but I'll be finishing up on that soon.

As always, any issues, let me know.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

The thumb goes especially to Alex, who still seems excited, though it must be cold up there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Nice, even http://www.santahack.net/info.json and therefore the bot still works.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I was going to post about this a few days before, glad to see you're running it this year. Entering when registration is open.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Not going to mess with it this year. Have fun everyone :).

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Yayz...

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

Despite my tendency to jump in to every *Hack, I guess this time I'll pass.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

"Participants will rate each rule on a scale of 1 to 5...", shouldn't that be "wish" or "description"?

Here's a question that will effect my possible participation - can I safely drop out before the development phase begins without ruining anyone's fun?
I usually pass on ChristmasHack, but I think this year I'll convince myself to participate, but I'm supposed to start a new job soon[1], so if that job overlaps with SantaHack I definitely won't have time to get anything done and will have to drop out.

References

1. for some definition of soon...
SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Quote:

On Christmas day, all eligible participants will receive a game. If your Secret Santa did not submit an entry, you will receive another entry, picked just for you based on your voting preferences.

So, no... not too much fun is ruined.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

shouldn't that be "wish" or "description"?

Good catch. I'll fix that.

Quote:

can I safely drop out before the development phase begins without ruining anyone's fun?

You can withdraw up until the voting phase ends. But even if you don't, as SiegeLord pointed out, it won't really ruin anyone's fun.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

BAF said:

as SiegeLord pointed out, it won't really ruin anyone's fun.

Getting a present that was meant for someone else means you won't get the thing you wanted to play. I get that it isn't really that big a deal since it's not exactly the point of the hack, but I still think it is a bit disappointing and so would rather avoid that if I can.
Either way this mean I can just register and rethink things on the 13/12.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I'm just not doing it because I already know it will be something that is out of my abilities so I wouldn't get it done. Don't need to add to my depression concerning programming. Though, I look forward to trying them after the compo is done :).

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Quote:

Use of the Allegro Game Programming Library is not required.

This kind of states that i can use A4. If I have a chance at all to participate, I'd use A4 because of everything I'm familiar with. There's too much for me to learn in A5. Too much for me to do it while participating in an event like this.

Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Glad to see this event still lives on! I would join, but I've told myself I'm not taking anything else on until I get my current life under control.

Good luck to all the participants!

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

So it can be a web game?
Nice opportunity to dig into the wonders of html5.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

It could be, yes. Preferably something easy to run, if a server is required (if it were me, and a server was req'd for multiplayer, I'd include the source for that too, and just have it pointed to a copy of the server I was running by default).

zer0
Member #6,501
October 2005

'tis that time of year again, when I return to the allegro forums for the annual christmas hack :) I'm happy to see one being hosted this time; I look forward to participating.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I guess I won't have time. Unless I finish it before 21st.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

frist.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

I'm in! :)
I haven't played with allegro in a loong time, it will be fun.

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Q: The rules say that you're allowed a two megabyte zip file for all code and data, but you're allowed to provide links to publicly available libraries, such as the Allegro Depot, right? Otherwise Allegro itself would break the rules (assuming you're using it).

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Maybe the rules need clarification there. But yes, publicly available libraries need not be included. The rule is just meant to cover all code not publicly available before the start of the competition.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

So I joined hoping I'll have the time to participate (or maybe hoping I won't, as that will mean I have a job :)).
I'm wondering if there's a way to put down multiple platforms for my own machine, or even more than one machine as I am capable of running games on all three platforms and I'm trying to adhere to this rule:

Quote:

During registration, you will be asked which platforms you are able to play games on, and which you are comfortable developing for. To aid in the assignment process, please be as flexible as you can here.

Go to: