Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » A status update...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
A status update...
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I don't know if anyone noticed I've been gone but slightly over a year ago I ended up in the hospital. I have 5 ruptured discs pressing on my spinal nerve due to Scheuermann's Disease and I've been more-or-less bedridden and with huge amounts of pain and medication ever since. I really have no idea how to describe what pain I was in at the first 6 months because I didn't know that kind of pain could exist. There really aren't words in English that do it justice... moving along, however.

Now I'm not going to tell a story because honestly, it would be at least 200 pages with everything I've been through over the year but thank God, it's finally coming to an end! I'm getting surgery next Thursday, the 11th. They're going to cut my whole back open and put two titanium rods and screws up and down my whole spine. After an estimated 6 weeks of heavy-duty recovery time though, my pain should finally come to end--and not a day too soon because I can't work or go to school anymore and bills are piling up. And my parents insurance coverage also runs out this month, and as I said, I can't work or go to school to get it.

So that's my status update, and if you are of the religious type, I would sincerely appreciate your prayers. I have good odds of healing successfully, but a 15% chance I won't get any better or could get worse, and a small-but-scary chance I could be paralyzed or even die from the surgery.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

There really aren't words in English that do it justice...

Dutch has "[pain] that goes through marrow and bone".("[pijn] die door merg en been gaat") ;)
:o Sincerely hope this will end the crap for you, and wish you strength for the recovery. I bet 6 weeks looks like nothing after a year. But, not moving ahead of things, I hope you can get some rest before the big operation.
Let us know how it went :o

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

weapon_S said:

Dutch has "[pain] that goes through marrow and bone".("[pijn] die door merg en been gaat")

I've broken and shattered multiple bones, and while that can certainly cause a great deal of pain, it is nothing compared to the pain of spinal injuries. When I was waiting for my spinal surgery, I had days where all I could do was lie flat on my back as even trying to sit up was too painful to bare.

@Chris

Glad to hear things are getting better. Good luck with the surgery.

and a small-but-scary chance I could be paralyzed or even die from the surgery

My surgery site was in my neck, right next to the carotid artery. The surgeon was very honest when he told me that "If we accidentally puncture it, then unfortunately you will bleed to death before we can even try to do anything about it."

Very comforting words. ;)

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Holy butterflies!

Good luck with the surgery man, I'll light a candle for you!

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I don't know if anyone noticed I've been gone but slightly over a year ago I ended up in the hospital. I have 5 ruptured discs pressing on my spinal nerve due to Scheuermann's Disease and I've been more-or-less bedridden and with huge amounts of pain and medication ever since. I really have no idea how to describe what pain I was in at the first 6 months because I didn't know that kind of pain could exist. There really aren't words in English that do it justice...

I'm getting surgery next Thursday, the 11th. They're going to cut my whole back open and put two titanium rods and screws up and down my whole spine.

:o

After an estimated 6 weeks of heavy-duty recovery time though, my pain should finally come to end...

:)

I have good odds of healing successfully, but a 15% chance I won't get any better or could get worse, and a small-but-scary chance I could be paralyzed or even die from the surgery.

:-/

I'm sorry to hear of your condition. Good luck with the surgery. I hope to see you back on the boards eventually.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

I was thinking that we haven't heard about you, Deathwish, for quite a long time. Sorry to hear that and good luck with the surgery.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

... and here's me worrying about my cat's cystitis. Hope things go well, but a quick google suggests it's a procedure that gives very good results.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

Wow so much crap is happening to you guys member after member. I am trying to to resist scanning through your post to see if this is some kinda of punishment.

edit
Its time to get your selfs in the church people

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Ow. :o

Best of luck to you!

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

piccolo said:

Wow so much crap is happening to you guys member after member. I am trying to to resist scanning through your post to see if this is some kinda of punishment.

Don't worry; your time is coming.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Sirocco said:

Don't worry; your time is coming.

I'm pretty sure it already did.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

I'm pretty sure it already did.

{"name":"comrade_dagon.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/ce06aa7b3abb8f39f82bdb255e17a75e.png","w":350,"h":525,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/ce06aa7b3abb8f39f82bdb255e17a75e"}comrade_dagon.png

My god approves.

Also, OP, best of luck.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Best of luck!

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Best luck. Good wishes.

Fishcake
Member #8,704
June 2007

Best of luck!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Really hope the procedure helps :)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

lambik
Member #899
January 2001

Sterkte! Good luck!

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Good luck with the surgery, may you come back in One Piece ^^

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

You're gonna be a cyborg! I hope the procedure goes swimmingly.

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

The boards aren't as good without you. Good luck.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Good luck.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm going for a major round of tests today before the surgery, Thursday.

Thank you, everyone for your support. :)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Break a leg!

;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

/me hoping everything went smoothly...

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Make sure to apply for disability. My wife had a Thoracotomy back at the end of 2008 followed by many more surgeries (we're hitting #18 this November). A social worker actually got on our case to help act as a mediator for getting disability through the proper channels and, because our medical history was pretty black and white, we got approved after a few months of paper work.

We had to go through several years barely making it check to check due to medical bills and not being able to work. That's added stress that is not necessary.

Good luck and best wishes. Make sure to regularly inquire your doctor of proper ways to ween off medical narcotics. I'm not going to go into why I'm stressing that, but I think it can be inferred.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

1   2 

Go to: