Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Difference between int main and int main void in allegro

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Difference between int main and int main void in allegro
AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

I want to know what is the difference between int main() and int main(void) in an allegro program.
If there are any other alternatives, please explain.

www.anothergames.com

J-Gamer
Member #12,491
January 2011

There is no difference. And that's basic c/c++, not allegro-specific.

You can also have int main(int argc, char* argv[]), which accepts command-line parameters. argc is the amount of arguments, argv is the array of arguments, with the first one being the program name.

" There are plenty of wonderful ideas in The Bible, but God isn't one of them." - Derezo
"If your body was a business, thought would be like micro-management and emotions would be like macro-management. If you primarily live your life with emotions, then you are prone to error on the details. If you over-think things all the time you tend to lose scope of priorities." - Mark Oates

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

J-Gamer said:

There is no difference. And that's basic c/c++, not allegro-specific.

In C++, the standards state the void should be omitted. The C++ standards also makes the names argc and argv mandatory, but in C, you can call them whatever you want. Most C++ compilers probably do allow this anyway, even though it's not following the standard.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

There is a difference in Allegro terms :P. Always use int main(int argc, char **argv). On Mac and maybe iOS it's required in C++ programs. You can't compile with int main(void).

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

For the most part, how you define your main is up to if you need command line arguments, or just how lazy you are feeling at the time.

Allegro has requirements for main to work on OS X, (and perhaps other platforms). The required form is int main(int argc, char **argv).

I have no idea where the docs tell the user, but I remember it from discussions in past threads.

Edit:
Slow Hippo is Slow

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

AleX-G Squadron
Member #13,593
October 2011

Ok, thanks for replies! :)

www.anothergames.com

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

LennyLen said:

The C++ standards also makes the names argc and argv mandatory

Really? That's pretty surprising, considering you don't have to use the same argument names in .h declaration and the .cpp definition.

-----------

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Really?

Yup.

http://www-d0.fnal.gov/~dladams/cxx_standard.pdf

Section 3.6.1 paragraph 2

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Hmm...

Well, that doesn't explicitly say that those particular names are required; but I can see why people might think that the strict technical meaning may allow particular implementations to disallow different argument names..

But I still doubt that was the intended meaning of the document; and I'm not completely convinced that it is even the strict technical meaning! (I'm actually reading this version now, because I figure it's more up-to-date; and I'm scanning through other sections to see whether it says that the particular variable names are unimportant in function definitions.

I notice that in 8.3.5 (of the document I linked to) it says

Quote:

The parameter list (void) is equivalent to the empty parameter list.

So to me that implies int main(void) is ok.

And ...

Quote:

After
determining the type of each parameter, any parameter of type “array of T” or “function returning T” is adjusted to be “pointer to T” or “pointer to function returning T,” respectively.

... could imply int main(int argc, char** argv) is allowed...

In any case, despite the possible technicalities, I'd still be pretty comfortable renaming argc and argv if I wanted to – but I don't think I'd ever have a good reason to do so anyway.

-----------

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Well, that doesn't explicitly say that those particular names are required

My interpretation of it is that those two forms are the only two forms that MUST be accepted, and that other forms are optional.

Quote:

In any case, despite the possible technicalities, I'd still be pretty comfortable renaming argc and argv if I wanted to – but I don't think I'd ever have a good reason to do so anyway.

Ditto. GCC and MSVC++ both allow things that aren't in the standards, and they're the two most widely used compilers.

ted_gress
Member #14,404
June 2012

Its bad style to do int main(void). My Comp Sci I professor would kill me if he saw me still using int main (void) or even worse, void main(void).

;D

TwilightRaven Games

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

I am sure someone will correct me if I any of these points are wrong...

int main() and int main(void) are actually different. The 1st says the number of arguments is unspecified (implicit), where the 2nd one says that there is none (explicit).

If a type is not specified in C it assumes that its an int. So main() assumes that the return value is an int. Where void main() says that main does not return a value, operating systems get quite upset when main doesn't return anything.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Timorg said:

int main() and int main(void) are actually different. The 1st says the number of arguments is unspecified (implicit), where the 2nd one says that there is none (explicit).

That's only true in C. In C++, f() is equivalent to f(void).

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Void functions always "return" something, but it's probably random garbage.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Void functions always "return" something, but it's probably random garbage

I'm not so sure about that. The return value is passed on the stack normally (afaik). The compiler should be free to omit the stack push/pop for a return value if the function is declared as "returning" void.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

l j
Member #10,584
January 2009

I thought they were normally stored in the EAX register if they fitted.
But I'm not sure.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Well then all my assembly code is wrong. OTOH, it works fine.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

It has always been a mystery to me what main should return.
So I finally googled.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/204476/what-should-main-return-in-c-c
"I believe that main() should return either EXIT_SUCCESS or EXIT_FAILURE. They are defined in stdlib.h"

Only useful if your program is used by another program. As far as I know, the OS doesn't care what programs return.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

If there's more than 1 potential error state, it should return a different non-zero value for each. For something that either works or doesn't, then sure, EXIT_SUCCESS and EXIT_FAILURE are good.

EDIT: Though the actual range of values that can be returned differs between operating systems. I think some only go from 0 to 255.

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

The value returned by main is used as an exit code for the process. But exit codes are only 8-bits on all OSes where I've seen them firsthand (DOS/Windows and several Unixes) so only the low 8 bits are preserved.
The most important convention is return 0 on success and non-zero on failure, but it only actually matters if whatever runs your program cares about it :
For example if you set up your program to run using Windows's scheduler, after execution the log will mark it "failed" if the return code wasn't zero.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

ted_gress said:

Its bad style to do int main(void).

Nonsense.

Quote:

My Comp Sci I professor would kill me if he saw me still using int main (void) or even worse, void main(void).

void main(void) isn't proper C and he'd be right to kill you (or at least look at you very sternly) for using it. int main(void) is perfectly fine.

The return value is passed on the stack normally (afaik). The compiler should be free to omit the stack push/pop for a return value if the function is declared as "returning" void.

Depends, I think.

I'm sure this used to be true back when I was looking at 16 bit DOS assembly. I'm also fairly sure you're supposed to use rax (eax, ax, al, whatever) in 64 bit assembly. I'm far less sure about 32 bit, but I think it's supposed to be eax there as well.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

From an Agner Fog pdf.

{"name":"606545","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/b\/9bf3d5b0ae0cd879ea7c9b6a7a924015.png","w":873,"h":571,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/b\/9bf3d5b0ae0cd879ea7c9b6a7a924015"}606545

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Ah, so register first, then stack if needed. I thought using a register was just an optimization C compilers liked to do, and the stack was the proper place for it. At least on x86 where there is no dedicated return register.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

There's no stack in the usual sense mentioned there. ST(0) etc. are the "stack" on the floating point coprocessor, the XMMx stuff are the SSE registers.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Oh, really? Huh.

Are return registers demanded by C, or is it implementation defined?

--

1   2 

Go to: