Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » SFML 2 Vs SDL 1.3/2.0 Vs Allegro 5

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
SFML 2 Vs SDL 1.3/2.0 Vs Allegro 5
verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

I've made some nice demos for myself using A5 and the only other API I used before it is A4.2 and DirectX9 so it takes a rather intermediate skill level in c++ to make anything with A5 but the support is there unlike some other librabries; I'm not sure where SDL has all the answers.

Right now I'm trying to use XOOPIC with A5 for a 2-d plasma physics simulator and there is no support for XOOPIC so I guess I'll see where that goes.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

weapon_S said:

For some reason I thought the documentation source was written in some horrible custom syntax. Instead I see it's written in a very understandable custom(?) syntax

Allegro 4 and prior uses "makedoc" format, totally custom to allegro. Allegro 5 uses (I think) markdown (via pandoc) with a few extensions.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

weapon_S said:

Maybe I'll start making patches ^^ Should I use SVN for that or what?

Ideally yes. Patches against the latest release are fine but might not apply anymore if something was modified in the meantime.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

When are you going to switch to git anyway? Seriously!
Still using svn is just shameful.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Trezker said:

When are you going to switch to git anyway? Seriously!

There's actually a majority of devs that wouldn't mind that. Peter and Elias already seem to use git through git-svn. But one of our (two?) OSX devs says he doesn't have the time to learn git, so we're holding off.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I agree that using SVN is a bit ridiculous by now (I'm actually using git svn to access the SVN repository myself). I'd volunteer for doing the SVN -> GIT transition on SourceForge. But I spent 5 years or so suggesting the switch each year on the mailing list so I've given up hope. With SVN at least we have nice linear revision numbers :)

--

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Switching git isn't very nice to developers using Windows, but I suppose there are none... :P

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

torhu said:

Switching git isn't very nice to developers using Windows, but I suppose there are none... :P

Yeah, sadly, I think they all jumped ship to XNA/C#/Managed C++(cringe) or, like in my case, jumped from Windows to Linux (I only go to Vista when I want to play Guild Wars or such without having to do installs hoping wine works).

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Yeah, sadly, I think they all jumped ship to XNA/C#/Managed C++(cringe) or, like in my case, jumped from Windows to Linux (I only go to Vista when I want to play Guild Wars or such without having to do installs hoping wine works).

Yeah, I'm sure all Allegro Windows developers jumped ship to XNA/C#/Managed C++. Seriously, not everything somehow applies to you, Specter Phoenix, and requires a life anecdote.

torhu said:

git works fine on Windows, in my experience (I use it when developing Windows ports of my stuff).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

SiegeLord said:

git works fine on Windows, in my experience (I use it when developing Windows ports of my stuff).

Yes, but people that primarily work on Windows probably won't think that having to use a bash shell instad of cmd.exe is that great. I know I don't.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Just use this if you don't like the command-line: http://windows.github.com/

Myself I prefer msys-git in Windows since I don't need to re-learn anything compared to how it works in Linux.

There's also a Windows-GUI included with git itself (which I find horrible, but it works) and tortoise-git (also not very good, but also works). And google suggests there's about 10 other windows git things... so I think that git isn't nice under Windows was true 5 years ago but certainly isn't anymore.

--

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

What if I want to use the command line? ::)

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Elias said:

so I think that git isn't nice under Windows was true 5 years ago but certainly isn't anymore.

Let's review the earlier part of that post:

Quote:

There's also a Windows-GUI included with git itself (which I find horrible, but it works) and tortoise-git (also not very good, but also works). And google suggests there's about 10 other windows git things...

It should also be added that none of the "10 other windows git things" will improve on the fundamental fact that git is written solely for and expects a UNIX system. It'll still be years before someone hacks together enough kludges to make it properly usable under Windows. If ever.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

When you get used to programming under *nix, it seems totally absurd to limit your choices just in case somebody wants to use your program under some other OS. Like not playing anything more than chopsticks on your new Steinway because that's all the baby can play.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

In what way does git expect a unix system? It does work just the same in Windows - what I didn't like about those two tools is that they seemed a bit rough, like nothing happening when I clicked on the "diff" button because some external tool was missing. But nothing which couldn't be fixed in a day or two by their developers.

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Doesn't everybody run a Linux VM on Windows machines? How else would you cope with daily activities? ???

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I use hg-git on Windows.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Doesn't everybody run a Linux VM on Windows machines? How else would you cope with daily activities? ???

Heh. I have Wine running under Ubuntu for Icy Tower, Emu8086. Otherwise I program and do all dev things (web and app) under Ubuntu and play games in Vista, though I may look into putting a Linux VM under it, but doubtful.

SiegeLord said:

Seriously, not everything somehow applies to you, Specter Phoenix, and requires a life anecdote.

First, that is how I post, and that is how I am in everyday conversations. I pull personal experiences to connect with the subject matter. Second, before I got into using Ubuntu I was a developer that used Windows, so in that regard it did apply to me as I was stating how I had changed to doing Linux for programming and Windows only for gaming. Last, as I've said in other threads, if you don't like the way I associate topics with my personal experiences you don't have to read them or comment on them. Takes a lot less time to just ignore my 'life anecdote' than it did to type up that sentence complaining about it :P.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

I use hg-git on Windows.

Me too, but I've only used it for simple stuff yet, so I don't know if it will work for everything. Mercurial rocks, though. And it does so both on Linux and Windows.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I use Windows exclusively, and I think git is awesome. (And it's certainly better than SVN.)

I have no idea why you'd think Windows users wouldn't like to use git.

By the way, my favourite IDE, QtCreator, has built-in support for git. It has drop-down menus and such for a heap of different git commands, so that you can use them from inside the same IDE that you write code in.

(Although that all sounds very nice, I've actually never used it. I prefer to just use the command prompt.)

-----------

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I used Github once for the pong clone I was doing a while back, which SiegeLord helped me with (though I never got the final one updated). When I was done I still had no clue what I was doing (only using it once does nothing for learning to use it).

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Second, before I got into using Ubuntu I was a developer that used Windows, so in that regard it did apply to me as I was stating how I had changed to doing Linux for programming and Windows only for gaming.

We were talking about Allegro developers, not developers in general.

torhu said:

Yes, but people that primarily work on Windows probably won't think that having to use a bash shell instad of cmd.exe is that great. I know I don't.

It didn't seem to explode when I tried using it from cmd.exe... I was glad that it came with the bash shell though, I ditched cmd.exe for good (except for when I compile Allegro).

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

SiegeLord said:

It didn't seem to explode when I tried using it from cmd.exe... I was glad that it came with the bash shell though, I ditched cmd.exe for good (except for when I compile Allegro).

"I think Linux is great. Of course, I'd never use it myself, but I'm sure it's great for other people."

That's what the arguments so far are like. See a problem?

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I still use cmd.exe, but with unix utils. The bash that comes with git kind of bugs me because it isn't as easy to copy & paste stuff. -- It's a minor problem, but I don't have any problems with cmd, so a minor problem is all that it takes...

-----------

1   2   3   4 

Go to: