Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Why is everyone off-topic? :p

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Why is everyone off-topic? :p
The Suese
Member #11,446
October 2009

It's interesting to see that most of the discussion on the board these days is in off-topic..

So why is everyone off-topic at allegro.cc these days?

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

And more importantly, is 'The Suese' a sockpuppet?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

video

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Because people start threads like this.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Extensive years of being unable to complete the dream project creates a psychological
condition whereby you desperately need to do something comparatively trivial and talking about random topics on willy nilly subjects is a seductive idea for a cure for the aforementioned condition, but I'm not sure it actually helps cure the condition which would explain why people never get back to work.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

damn...

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

It was just a theory :)

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Extensive years of being unable to complete the dream project creates a psychological
condition whereby you desperately need to do something comparatively trivial and talking about random topics on willy nilly subjects is a seductive idea for a cure for the aforementioned condition, but I'm not sure it actually helps cure the condition which would explain why people never get back to work.

I got technoshock from A5.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

If that's anything like brain damage, it's probebly what I got too ;D

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Technoshock , technoshock meaning , definition of technoshock , what is technoshock - That feeling of overwhelming anxiety and stress people experience when they realize all the data from all the increasingly more rapid technological advances of our world is exceeding their brain's ability to process it.
Some examples : "I swear I can't take it anymore. I'm being bombarded with too much info from too many sources. I know I'm gonna snap. And when I do, I'm blaming it on technoshock".

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

The reason I think I got brain damage from A5 isn't because there's anything wrong with A5 or because I'm overwhelmed by our multi-media reality (although I feel that way).

I was making a game with A4 and desperately trying to learn how to program in C.

I got quite far. Eventually I learnt what the difference between a 2D array and an array of pointers is for example, though I'm not sure what "pointers in C don't decay recursively" means. I made great strides with a game.

Then I was told that globals were evil so I spent three dull months reprogramming my game so it didn't use one global.

Then A5 came out. Porting my game was hard but I'm proud to say thanks to my rigour I exposed a bug in A5 which got sorted and evetually I got my game ported.

Then I stepped up my ambitions and made my game a sub-level of a bigger project, which is going very well e(if you ignore that it looks about as planned as London).....

In fact I feel I should apologise for saying A5 caused me brain damage. I lot of love and hard work went into it. Sorry about that.

I always wanted to run before I could walk and I was like that with game programming.

Nowadays I'm working on an interesting pong clone which is going okay...

Everytime I write a post on the internet now, my English is terrible before I correct it.

Too much typing.

/* EDIT */

When I post the throughput on the servers comes to a halt. I don't post much normally - if I did the off-topic forum would see a migration to the others :P

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

I enjoy posting in these forums since most people here are programmers just like me.

I no longer use Allegro so it seems the only place to post is in the off-topic forums. Breaking backward compatibility has its price YEAH! :P a price I'm not willing to pay :-X

Anyways, I still post in the programming forums but no Allegro related stuff. I wish I could post in the game design and concepts forum, but it has been missing for days so off-topic is the only place to post ;)

EDIT:
@Dennis: That band Graveyard sounds amazing! never heard of them until now, not only do they rock, but I also love the unmistakably sound of pure analogical recording :)

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I post in the Programming forum when I can be helpful, but I'm still an Allegro 5 n00b, and especially a game programming n00b, so I can't help with the more interesting topics. I can usually only help the beginners. :'( I haven't attempted any game programming in a while, partially because I've been burned out, and partially because I've been focusing on career skills. It would be nice to make at least one game though. ;) Eventually...

I rarely check the other forums because they're either too slow to bother or I lack the knowledge to be constructive in them. :)

The Off-Topic forum is nice because pretty much anyone can participate if they try to be constructive. You can even learn a lot from one another on matters completely unrelated to programming here. Or you can just enjoy a good debate or laugh. :)

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Allegro 5 just made me happy.
It also gave me the opportunity to contribute a little bit to this library I love.

Not to mention made bindings for the whole damn thing to Lua.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

@Dennis: That band Graveyard sounds amazing! never heard of them until now, not only do they rock, but I also love the unmistakably sound of pure analogical recording :)

Yeah, I didn't know them either until a couple of days ago when I got dragged along to one of their concerts. The support band which played before them was pretty cool too, called Horisont:

video

The Suese
Member #11,446
October 2009

I do cameo as a sock puppet, but as for my inner essence, no I am not a sock puppet.. unfortunately ~looks longingly towards the wind~

I posted something awesome about needing beta testers in 'The Depot' and no one replied ~pouts~

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

That band Graveyard sounds amazing! never heard of them until now, not only do they rock, but I also love the unmistakably sound of pure analogical recording :)

And you never quite know where they'll show up. Short selection of gigs last year:

• The local student pub

• Opening for Iron Maiden in Gothenburg ;D

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

There are other forums here other than off-topic?

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

There other forums here other than off-topic?

Yeah, I have heard rumors about them. I hear they normally force you to put thought behind your posts though (yuck!).

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I hear they normally force you to put thought behind your posts though

Somebody once told me there's a home page for the site which isn't even part of the forum, and they have a poll that is updated every leap year.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Somebody once told me there's a home page for the site which isn't even part of the forum, and they have a poll that is updated every leap year.

Sounds like a fairy tale to me ;).

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

The Suese said:

Why is everyone off-topic?

If I could be on anything, it would definitely not be topic.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I'd much rather see what the Allegroids (Phoenix excluded) are up to as opposed to checking Facebook, because of the off-topic section. ;D

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

So you would rather check Facebook than read a post by Phoenix? You must hate Facebook a lot less than I do. :P

(Ok that was just mean of me.)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

MWAH!

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

1   2 

Go to: