Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Amsterdam visit

Credits go to Andrei Ellman and Evert for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Amsterdam visit
OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Well, that's the problem with me, either I look serious or like a total idiot when I try to laugh. That is the main reason I like being on the other side of the camera :D

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I don't know about anyone else but seeing photos of some of the 'legends' of a.cc was a little thrill for me...who votes for a 'photo of me' thread?...Specter? Wanna slam that idea and tell us all about a time when you strangled a puppy or how you wish you were dead or anything?

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

I just mean that you look stereotypically Czech. ;D
If I would be asked to imagine a Czech Person, I'd pretty much imagine you. Well... ok... you with a mullet.* ;)

... oh, and your friend's name being "Jan" doesn't help your Czechness. That pretty much leaves you with "Pavel", "Václav" or "Jaromír" for your own name. ;)

* Yeah, I know Czechs don't all have mullets anymore. Despite what I saw with my own eyes at Masters of Rock. ;D

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

gnolam said:

I just mean that you look stereotypically Czech.

I don't know about Czech specifically, but Eastern-European I would have guessed. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but there are some clear differences between people from Eastern and Western Europe (where perhaps I'm mostly thinking of Dutch and Germans since the French and English look different again). I can probably work it out if I try.

Quote:

oh, and your friend's name being "Jan" doesn't help your Czechness. That pretty much leaves you with "Pavel", "Václav" or "Jaromír" for your own name.

Actually, Jan is a normal Dutch first name too. Of course, we don't pronounce it "Honza". :P
Actually, OICW's name (by the way... where does the screen name come from?) is also a normal Dutch first name. Going by first names alone, all of us at that table could well have been Dutch!

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

gnolam said:

I just mean that you look stereotypically Czech. ;D
If I would be asked to imagine a Czech Person, I'd pretty much imagine you. Well... ok... you with a mullet.* ;)

Oh, well, in that case I guess I'll have to live with that ;D (not that hard by the way). Oh, you mean the haircut; well, I haven't seen a barber for some quite time, because I usually sport short hair as it's more comfortable. Trying to grow them requires going through phases when the haircut looks pretty strange and I guess I'll pay a visit to a barber very soon as the hair are getting on my nerves :)

Anyway, I don't think that the haircut would be some kind of Czech or middle/east-European stereotype, but I'm not quite the right person to say.

gnolam said:

... oh, and your friend's name being "Jan" doesn't help your Czechness. That pretty much leaves you with "Pavel", "Václav" or "Jaromír" for your own name. ;)

Well, actually my real name is Martin ;)

Evert said:

(by the way... where does the screen name come from?)

That's a long story :) I used to be an adventurer, but... avid player of TacticalOps when I joined the forum. By that time I used "OICW" as the screen name in the game, so it was quite natural I've made a login everywhere using this name. It comes from the advanced weapon program, at that time it sounded cool to me, so I used that.

Time has passed, the nickname stayed and it became cumbersome to change it, because everybody around here and other places knew me by it. Actually the worst problem is that some of my friends here try to use it in spoken language and it wasn't chosen with spoken language in mind...

"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

OICW said:

Actually the worst problem is that some of my friends here try to use it in spoken language and it wasn't chosen with spoken language in mind...

Hmm... that'd turn into something like "Oikweh" if I tried. Indeed not what I'd name my child. ;)

Though if you're Czech you must have ideas for how to pronounce unpronouncable words, right? Or does it have too many vowel sounds for that? :P

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Evert said:

Oikweh

That sounds like a hybrid between a pig and a Jewish deity. Any relation to Magic Oink?

Dizzy Egg said:

I don't know about anyone else but seeing photos of some of the 'legends' of a.cc was a little thrill for me...who votes for a 'photo of me' thread?

Or even better if we had a page on the Wiki with meetup pics ... and for that matter, a page with a spider-diagram of who's met who IRL.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Evert said:

Though if you're Czech you must have ideas for how to pronounce unpronouncable words, right? Or does it have too many vowel sounds for that? :P

Yep, I usually read it as it stands, though I pronounce "w" as normal "v". The problem is that Czech language has cases for nouns (just like German does) and there are seven of them, each used in different situation (Who do you see? With whom are you? Who are you talking about? etc.) and this is where "fun" begins.

That's where you realise that the nickname wasn't designed for spoken language, because it becomes cumbersome to use and people start to invent new variations to pronounce it better and it gets weird.

The main problem is that I've never had any real nickname[1] among my friends that I could use online, among my friends and other people. It's hard to come up with something and push it to common use.

References

1. Though back in the days of the grammar school, my school mates invented a monicker from my last name. But I've never became fond of it. And it's of no use outside Czech language.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I never understood why people use nicknames in the internet.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Well, if you feel the urge to post embarrassing content that you don't want traced back to you I can see it.

Or just generally keep your private life more separate. Of course the real solution is to just not post private stuff on-line if on some level you really don't want to. Otherwise it'll e traced back to you eventually.

I couldn't be bothered to think of a screenname when I signed up here.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

The pimply little 98 pound weaklings want to sound like badasses somewhere, even if not in real life, hence names like WarLord and DeathZero etc.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

The pimply little 98 pound weaklings want to sound like badasses somewhere, even if not in real life, hence names like WarLord and DeathZero etc.

Or Exterminator - this one I used before :D

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Hey, don't make fun. Some of us have been born in vengeance, trained in war, found in love, released in death and given purpose in death!

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

1   2   3 

Go to: