Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Toggle console window ?

Credits go to bamccaig, Peter Wang, and Specter Phoenix for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Toggle console window ?
frankdrey
Member #14,090
March 2012

How do I make the user able to switch between showing the console or hiding it?
I'd like to let the user be able to toggle the console.
I know there is a way to completely disable the console, but I need to be able to toggle it while running.

If that's not possible I guess I'll make an overlay instead of a console or something like that. I'm just doing a projectile motion demonstration and want it to show the variables in the console, but with the ability to hide it.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

I think the in-game overlay is the preferred method for debug stuff. With the in-game overlay though you can make it possible to toggle it with a keypress if you wanted.

Peter Wang
Member #23
April 2000

You could use the textlog functionality in the native_dialog addon. Starting point: al_open_native_text_log

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It should be possible to programmatically create a console window. So if you create a console-less application then you could conceivably create and destroy (or at least hide) a console window. It would require platform specific code, and I can guess that it won't be pretty. You'll probably have an easier time, and get better user-friendliness from, creating your own in-game console. Of course, Peter Wang's solution is probably best if you don't need an interactive console (assuming whatever that is isn't interactive).

frankdrey
Member #14,090
March 2012

Alright thanks a bunch
I'll go with an ingame overlay

Go to: