Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Abandoned Projects

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Abandoned Projects
Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Well, I can say 2 Pong clones and a Lightcycles game. Two worked and on partially worked before I gave up on it.

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

Rarely do I abandon anything.

Yeah, abandoning things is stoopid.

Edit: great, now I want to play it. And the Geocities link in that thread is broken. Care to attach here?

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I don't have a version I can compile; I'm still in the process of porting it to a library made this century. No it's not abandoned, believe it or not. :P

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Abandoned, because I didn't plan out well enough... Tic-tac-toe >_>

{"name":"6ae693b6de5f3b1ff1129abfec4f36ad.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/a\/6ae693b6de5f3b1ff1129abfec4f36ad.png","w":646,"h":508,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/a\/6ae693b6de5f3b1ff1129abfec4f36ad"}6ae693b6de5f3b1ff1129abfec4f36ad.png
{"name":"ff0ec02b44005e8a844c65f8e9ccf97d.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/f\/ff0ec02b44005e8a844c65f8e9ccf97d.png","w":647,"h":506,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/f\/ff0ec02b44005e8a844c65f8e9ccf97d"}ff0ec02b44005e8a844c65f8e9ccf97d.png
{"name":"7fe874bf08c159eb3b1cb64eb95f34e5.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/f\/7fe874bf08c159eb3b1cb64eb95f34e5.png","w":645,"h":507,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/f\/7fe874bf08c159eb3b1cb64eb95f34e5"}7fe874bf08c159eb3b1cb64eb95f34e5.png

There's a lot of programming material I have lost... If I find it, I can show more abandoned crud.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Heh. I abandoned pretty much all the games I ever started. Don't think I ever finished a single one. Closest I ever got was an old-schoolish platformer (featuring a sheep); this one merely lacked interesting content and a bug-free menu UI; I had this 2D top-down space shooter, which is actually playable and all, but lacks a story and a mission system (say, objectives and such), and obviously there's no real content yet, you just spawn and shoot it out against AI opponents until you get tired. And I had a 3D space shooter, also with fairly complete space flight dynamics and all, but again, no mission objectives, no content, no story, and the models were crap. Jeez, I really have to dig these back up and see if I can get them to compile, if only for screenshots...

I've completed a number of websites / web applications though (at least they've made it into production; there's always room for improvement), and the music notation thing I'm currently working on is useful enough already - it's not really 'finished' in the sense that I don't know what else to add, but it is seeing some actual real-world use already (if only by myself).

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

Do it yourself, you're the fanboy. :o

Hey! >:( I loved OpenLayer. :'(

Dario ff said:

(But make sure it doesn't build on MSVC only) :P

fixed. 8-)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

One day I hope to finish my 'KILL EM ALL' game. Its a cross between worms and ogre tactics. I stole the sprites from Metal Slug 2 for the units, and had some nice arcing grenade action going on at one point...but it's been so long, I just had a peek through one of the .c files and closed it again.

One day...

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

About 18 hours ago I read about the release of FreeDOS 1.1 on Slashdot. I downloaded it for the fun of it, installed it into VMWare and tried to get the Sound Blaster working to no avail, so I switched over to VirtualBox where the sound did work. Then I grabbed the latest DJGPP and started playing around with some old programs I had from about 10 years ago. This computer I have is pretty much bargain bin stuff (3.1Ghz Athlon II) but it can count down an unsigned 32 bit register in 2 seconds even though it's running in a virtual machine. I remember being amazed at the 200Mhz Pentium I had in '97 which could do the same in a mere three minutes! I also remember playing around with a ray caster on a 16Mhz 386SX, I couldn't refresh the screen faster than about 20FPS in mode 19 even with no other work for it to do, and I just did the same with DJGPP nearptr stuff with approximately 10000 frames per second. Funny how both cores were maxed out during the blitting, but the register decrement thing only maxed out one core, as does the DOS text editor I'm using in this emulator (spinlocking looking for a keypress with 8088 assembly).

[EDIT]

Just for the heck of it I tried Allegro 4.4.2 exscn3d in an 800x600x24 X11 window, it got 150+fps, and the cubes were moving too fast to allow the illusion of motion.

Billy Zelsnack said:

"Pretty soon, computers will be fast."

I think they're here now...

[EDIT2]

I tried recompiling an old terrain demo with svga, kept getting a black screen with no way to end it except telling the VM to send a hard reset, no way to debug it in svga mode. Ghod it seemed so primitive now! Kind of like hiking across the Rockies with a bad knee vs. driving across them on an Interstate in a luxury car.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

I haven't abandoned any game yet, however I just have less than two years programming so there is a lot to come.

Well I think that changing completely the same game doesn't mean that I abandoned it... Or it does? :-/

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

verthex said:

Could be Delauney triangulation.

I don't see how can it be an answer.. Wiki hints it's an algorithm to connect dots in to triangles. But you need to place the dots first.

@Molang
ty, missed that

@OP
Yeah got it.. Nice idea.. AFAIK it's used in "real life mapping" as well, but for a user- it can allow one to make terrain using any "paint" or Photoshop or whatsoever. You don't even need a GUI actually :)

P.S:
I think it maybe a good idea to actually store terrain maps as BITMAPS..

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

type568 said:

Wiki hints it's an algorithm to connect dots in to triangles.

Wikipedia is a troll fest. The points come from random projections or you create a grid based on mathematical methods of generating 3d surfaces. It wouldn't make sense not to have a subroutine to generate the dots before connecting them.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Does being tired of playing minecraft count as an abandoned project? Been in MC everyday for weeks and just got burned out on it. With nothing to do but dig and build it gets boring quick :(. So I abandoned the grinder I was working on for now. Does that count?

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

Does being tired of playing minecraft count as an abandoned project? Been in MC everyday for weeks and just got burned out on it. With nothing to do but dig and build it gets boring quick :(. So I abandoned the grinder I was working on for now. Does that count?

I guess I could say the same about simcity 4 although I didn't get bored of it and I still have an urge to play sometimes but I have no time.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I got burned out with minecraft a few times. Played too much. Now I just play a little at a time, and it stays interesting enough to play semi-regularly.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Yeah, contemplating just taking a break from everything. Not like I'm doing anything that would suffer from not doing it though. Started on a SP map to do a project that was 75x75xMAX_HEIGHT and using SPC I got the 75x75 done and then just said "Ah, fuck it! Too bored to care to do the project. Never get anything done cause I'm on IRC goofing off too much, so I may need a break from that (plus I was tired of Sev's smart ass replies to almost every question I asked :P), again not like I would get anything done if I wasn't in IRC. Truth be told, today I thought I was going to code and instead I took son to school, came home and helped wife get cleaned up so we could go into town. Got home and set up my wife's Kindle Fire, put my Battlefield 3 down with my other untouched games, picked up son, played angry birds (taking turns with wife), and now goofing off on YT, complaining on FB, and typing on here. Yep, I'm a lost cause, I'll never amount to anything because I no longer apply myself to anything I want to do (yay, me! failure extraordinaire! 14 years strong so far, my parents would be so proud!).

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Never get anything done cause I'm on IRC goofing off too much

You do NOT want to know how much time I've wasted in IRC over the years.

As to the rest of your rant, I decided to stop being a failure. Got fed up with it ;) Though you do have me beat in one regard, you have a family, I don't :(

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Doesn't that make me a bigger failure though? I mean I have this dream way up here, and a family which means I should have drive to achieve that dream in order to support them. Yet here I am still down here with my family dreaming about making a living programming and making games.

[EDIT]
My problem really isn't the language. I mean I know about classes, know that for file i/o I can ask for a string but to open it I have to do filename.c_str() or such to convert the name so it can be loaded. My issue seems that I get majorly caught and distraught over the turning any idea (beyond simple) into code. I just get overwhelmed I guess would be a good way of putting it.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

you have a family, I don't

I couldn't give a rat's a**e what spectrum felix said, he only moans anyway, but no, you DO have a family! ALLEGRO.CC! And if you're ever in Kent in the UK and need some cash, get in touch.

On a more serious note, I know where you're coming from. Big Hug Strom of Fjell. x

And shutup special fooyung.

;D

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Damn, I think the grammar discussion has fucked up your ability to make sense. You need bed rest.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Meheh, yeah. Mwah, love you Sceptre! x

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Heh...
On coding note. This is what I just coded in a few minutes...minus a few typos on my part. Nothing major, but small things like this I can normally do no problem, but something like say an address book, or something more complex I see the whole picture rather than the individual things and I get overwhelmed and never do anything.

#SelectExpand
1#include <iostream> 2#include <fstream> 3#include <string> 4 5using namespace std; 6 7int main() 8{ 9 string fileName; 10 char nums; 11 cout << "Enter the filename: "; 12 cin >> fileName; 13 cout << endl; 14 15 ifstream inFile; 16 inFile.open(fileName.c_str()); 17 inFile.get(nums); 18 while(!inFile.eof()) 19 { 20 cout << nums; 21 inFile.get(nums); 22 } 23 24 inFile.close(); 25 return 0; 26}

Desmond Taylor
Member #11,943
May 2010

I see the whole picture rather than the individual things and I get overwhelmed and never do anything.

You should really sit down and do bit by bit and just not rush it.

I am currently learning how to make a platform game and that for me is pretty hard so I'm going bit by bit. Got the player movements and now to do world rendering and collision checking :D

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Dizzy Egg said:

I couldn't give a rat's a**e what spectrum felix said, he only moans anyway, but no, you DO have a family! ALLEGRO.CC! And if you're ever in Kent in the UK and need some cash, get in touch.

On a more serious note, I know where you're coming from. Big Hug Strom of Fjell. x

Heh, I wasn't trying to be a moaning bitch. Just comparing against Specter. He thinks he's a failure, but I don't think he really knows the meaning of the word.

Personally I'm doing pretty good. money is tighter than ever, but I'm scraping by.

I see the whole picture rather than the individual things and I get overwhelmed and never do anything.

I think a lot of people have that problem. I know I do. I used to spend my spare time on bus's and daydreaming and falling asleep (etc), planning out the structure of semi complex (or just plain complex) programs and/or libraries. I've learned to stop doing that quite so much over time. I just try to sit back look at the really big picture and trace an outline of it my mind, then try and build that outline in code. It doesn't always work, but along the way, that work leads you to a better solution. That's when it's time to refactor or replace bits. Don't be afraid to change or throw out code that isn't working. I still spend entirely too much time trying to fix code that I should sometimes just replace outright. But I can't always resist my urge to figure out the problem. I really do think we have a fair bit in common, except you have a wife and child. Something I've only dream about.

--

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

We have something in common? Are you sure you want to be admitting that? :p

[REVISION] Joking aside, I've really not been in IRC because I thought I would focus on programming. So far it hasn't been all that easy. I just couldn't resist poking fun at Sevalecan's sense of humor with the smart arse replies (actually I laughed when he said I was a tool because he is probably right).

[REVISION] My previous code in action with a source file. http://twitpic.com/84ekro

I like revision better than edit (mainly because of the fact that you can see the revisions of each post.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

You should really sit down and do bit by bit and just not rush it.I am currently learning how to make a platform game and that for me is pretty hard so I'm going bit by bit. Got the player movements and now to do world rendering and collision checking :D

I do all my projects from the finished part. First I hack it into pieces, then I reverse engineer every part of it myself and reassemble everything. I find this more useful because I learn from a lot of other peoples work.

Go to: